Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: To Open or Not to Open / MOC (mint on card) Versus Loose

master of hiphop
    plastic prison for Life!!!!!! No Escape!! Will only be released if a great War happens and we need bodies

Half the reason i collect MOC Motu Vintage and MOTUC is because of the artwork, I'm a big fan of the toys and artwork and to have them displayed in the plastic cases keeps them fresh looking forever and if you want to pull out the box from the display it's an easy transfer Have a look, put it back then don't touch

MOC Lifer!!! GIAH!
    Download!! 25% goes to help the ORG!!!!!
    http://theimpressionistz.bandcamp.co...ame-back-clean
    AGE FEEDBACK: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=128035
    album photos lots more to come: check out my profile
    my want list: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=148549
    Collection PICS:http://www.crazycollectors.de/age.html

Heroic Warrior
    Yay, it's settled. Lol. Apart from a few exceptions here and there, I shall let my MOTUC be free in the future...

Now the age old question: Free Shadow Weaver or leave her imprisoned....
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Court Magician
    Curious to know, for all the "one to open, one to keep" folk (of which I am one), do you keep the one with the best paint job, or the one with the best box?

I often find myself in a position of having to choose, as the quality of the paint job can vary dramatically (Wun-dar with uneven face paint, I'm looking at you) ... and sometimes the boxes aren't mint out of the mailer either.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    Curious to know, for all the "one to open, one to keep" folk (of which I am one), do you keep the one with the best paint job, or the one with the best box?

I often find myself in a position of having to choose, as the quality of the paint job can vary dramatically (Wun-dar with uneven face paint, I'm looking at you) ... and sometimes the boxes aren't mint out of the mailer either.
    When I bought extras, I always kept the balance between the best paint and best package fro the MOSC one, but if a package was a tiny bit more damaged, but not like noticable without looking hard enough to see and a figure that was flawless, I'd keep the flawless MOSC figure over a mint package flawed figure. Most of the time I customize or mix and match the loose ones, so no point in making it the flawless figure.

One time it backfired on me, I ordered 2 Horde Primes, in 2 different orders, one got to me first, and being impatient I opened it....two days later, I got the other Horde Prime....flawless package, and flawless figure....but the helmet was crooked and the cape was as well, the one I opened looked great in the package....but oh well, the figure was still mint.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post

It is always a balance, but I try to get the best looking in the best package. It really is case by case. I might even change my mind if I reviewed them again at a later date.

Some people are worried about the value decrease by opening them. Yes, it's true for the most part the value does go down on a loose toy versus a MOC toy, but it does appear that Classics hold their value even in the loose market. So there is that to consider if you think you may sell them in the future. Some people don't want to open their toys but have no problem buying one that was opened buy someone else. It's guilt free!!!
    I get bored easily so at first I was all MOC because I figured I would sell them. Then I wanted to check them out in the plastic so bad I would buy 2, one to keep sealed, one to display ( and play with) Finally I realized that I'm not selling them anytime soon and I could save a lot of money if I just bought one and opened it. Sometimes if the figure is super awesome I will buy 2. Not sure why I do it because I end up selling it a few months later.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I have a MOSC collection, and couldn't be happier with it like that, all the packages are uniform for once in any line I have ever collected. I have enough loose figures like 5 standard figures, plus I have 5 customs, 6 as soon as I finish Dragstor to keep me occupied with loose figures. I am well satisfied without having to dust figures, worry about paint coming off if posed, losing accessories.

I love MOTUC, they do look good when posed loose, but honestly, unless they are side by side lined up on shelves one figure deep, I hate loose displays, too cluttered for my tastes, different sizes, I especially hate loose Transformers on display, I tried it....hated it.

And notice the "I" here, so no matter how much you like opening toys....anyone...don't start with quoting me if you disagree with me, because I know how some of you are, I prefer my collection my way, you prefer yours, your way, this is my opinion.

That's not very true, regardless if Classics will ever be worth money in the future or not, all toys devalue once opened, plus the new painted ones are destroyed if the joints cause the paint to come off. Now mind you I am not collecting MOTUC for an investment, I just prefer MOSC to loose, and no matter what once you open something the value goes down, collecting for investment or not, and there's always that chance you're going to break or damage the figure, and I am not paying $22+ to potentially break a figure or lose something. My extra loose and custom figures are for that.
    I have to say, of all the post I have read, I agree with this the most. All of my MOTUC are still unopened, accept for Horde Prime, and that was only because I couldnt see that awesome head sculpt.

Court Magician

Please help me make decision to open or not to open MOTUC.

Hello,

I need help; I am running out of room for my collection.

I love the way the figures look in the package but just canít make that leap to open them.

I donít think I am in it for resale so thatís not the case. Iím just not sure I can do it.

I have the subscription and I am running out of room quick.

Also all those mailers are taking up alot of space, is it even worth anything to keep them?

Any ideas or convincing would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Can't help you about the decision to open or not, but I've flatten the mailer boxes they're easy to store this way.
    I'm an opener, almost have all the figs and it already takes a serious place. I just kept some of my doubles in their boxes.

It is a well known fact that all action figures suffer from claustrophobia. Leaving them in the packaging is torture for them. Free them from their plastic prisons!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Court Magician
    I am so stupid, I never thought to flatten them! this worked out for me already!

Always glad to help ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by damiendvl99 View Post
    I am so stupid, I never thought to flatten them! this worked out for me already!

Heroic Warrior
    Open them anyway. Toys are made to be held and played with, not sit in a plastic prison for all time

Watch Toy Story 2 and it will raise awareness on keeping action figures in dark places......
    Psalm 18:32 - "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    Open them anyway. Toys are made to be held and played with, not sit in a plastic prison for all time
    I've got to agree. They can't fully be appreciated until they are open. Plus finding poses for them is really fun!

That's why I have a complete loose and moc collections.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I struggle with the same question, but I wouldn't open them until you have a more valid reason. To cut the value of your collection just to save space isn't it I plan on opening all of mine someday, all at once, but for fun purposes. You never know what the future holds, so I wouldn't open them until you are ready to enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by damiendvl99 View Post
    Hello,

I need help; I am running out of room for my collection.

I love the way the figures look in the package but just canít make that leap to open them.

Thank you.
    How about you open just some of them to see how it works out for you. For example if you have multiple version of He-Man just open one variant and see if it is not better to appreciate the opened figures.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

It's not true that they can't be fully appreciated unless you open them, if that were true, there would be no such thing as MOSC collectors nor would there be packaging in the first place. They can't be fully dusty and become loose unless you open them and play with them and pose them, but they can still be enjoyed sealed.

Toys do not come to life at night, they do not have to breathe, nor do they feel pain....therefore leaving them packaged, doesn't hurt anyone but loose collectors.

I opened mine because I thought I had to store the for a while, but otherwise I never would have. I thoroughly enjoyed them very much sealed, now that I opened them and saw how loose some are, how loose they become, and how easy the paint flakes on some....I seriously wish I never opened them. I open the new ones too, but I keep the package, I open it in a way it can be resealed or taped closed for future MOC look. Plus I still have a few extras and Shadow Weaver MOSC, King He-Man will join those soon.

I can't stand tables and shelves cluttered with loose figures, I found a happy medium to display mine, but otherwise I would have not liked it very much and would have preferred just to leave them in the bins I have for them.

So don't listen to anyone who says it's not enjoyable to look at sealed figures, just because they don't like it, doesn't mean no one else can. Not everyone has to play with their toys as an adult and can easily love seeing them sealed just as much as any loose collector does seeing theirs. Basically, however you enjoy your collection, do so.

But like me if you absolutely think you have to open them, and it's necessary, take your knife, close your eyes and cut away....it sucks, but it does get easier the more you open. If you have certain ones you want to keep sealed, keep them. I kept all the backers and name inserts from the old ones I opened, the new ones are still attached and kept in their mailers.

I still look at my figures and the pictures I took, and wish I never opened mine, I had extras I had for a few to open, and my customs. Open one or two of the easier to still find ones first, see if you like it, or can do it.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Podcaster
    Gotta defend the MOCers here (like myself) -

They are NOT plastic prisons! They are like penthouse apartments from which the figs can observe all the goings-on in my hobby room. Of course, I do hang all my MOC MOTUC figures on the wall in their Zolo cases in a huge grid. I like to think they can even communicate when I'm not around!

Plastic prisons? That's MOC-ist! :P

Also, you can't spell MOTUC without MOC!
    Angella - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - FLUTTERINA! - Flying Fists He-Man - GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - MERMISTA! - MultiBot - NINJOR! - Peekablue - Perfuma - RIO BLAST! - Rotar
    Saurod - SPINNERELLA! - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - TUNG LASHOR! - Twistoid

If you have a few extras laying around or the money to buy a cheap one that you like, start by opening one of those up first. At that point decide which you like better on the card or open. The main reason you should buy action figures is for the art and appreciation of it whether it's mosc or not.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ozone View Post
    Same here. My kids will get the ones that have been driven insane by leaving them in the package and in the dark for all those years.

Do with them whatever gives you the most enjoyment. Unless you plan on selling them any time soon, there's no reason to worry about the "value" of your collection. MOTUC is a collector's line. There's a lot of collectors keeping these figures in MOC condition. It's the coolest, newest, sweetest thing now, but when the next, even better MOTU line comes out, these will tank in value, much like the 200X figures.

The packaging on these figures is really quite stunning, the figures are posed really well inside, and the artwork is great. Keeping them MOC is totally valid if it makes you happy.

At the same time, these figures are super fun out of the box, really amazing articulation and accessories, and look great in any number of poses. Totally valid to take them off the card if it makes you happy.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ozone View Post
    But you could have two loose collections instead. Just think about how cool that would be!