Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: To Open or Not to Open / MOC (mint on card) Versus Loose

Open them! I used to flatten the mailers, but still if you have them all they still take up a lot of space. I decided they weren't needed and recycled them.

Heroic Warrior
    Man, I am in the same boat!! So far I have all mine displayed MOC other than about 8 or so that I've bought doubles of to open. I thought this is what I would continue to do, but the line just keeps going and they're becoming just way too expensive to even buy loose doubles from a 3rd party. I want to open them, but then I see Scareglow going for $80+ MOC on eBay, and I feel like I'm destroying the value. However I don't collect for value and will never sell them, so I don't know what I'm clinging to?? Up until MOTUC I was mainly an "opener" but often times I found I didn't like the fig as much loose as I did MOC, or I moved on to collecting a differnt line and put them away and wished I'd of left them MOC. So it's a bit of a catch 22.
    Although, I did tell myself that if I got a Castle Grayskull I would not be able to resist opening everything and posing them in the castle!!! I MUST open Castle Grayskull! I can't leave it consealed inside a box never seeing it, forever!
    I have a 6 month old son (who already likes chewing on a vintage Beastman. haha) and I think I may just keep everything MOC until he's ready to play with them responsibly (not just destroy them) and we'll open them all together and have a grand ole time playing with them. Until then he can play with my near complete loose 200X collection.
    I really do love looking at them all displayed MOC, there's just something about the freshness or perfectness of MOC, because I know once I open them I'll find loose joints, paint issues, ect and will wish I left them MOC where I already enjoyed them.
    So yes, I totally share in your torment of loose vs MOC! haha It is a nice problem to have tho! For as much grief as Matty gives us with this line, it's still an amazing line that I for one never imagined!

I have a complete loose and moc collection as well and love them both. However, I am out of room
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Open the figures. When they're interacting with each other on the shelf...it takes them to a whole new level. If you must, save the card backs and name trays only. You'll still have the bios and the photos on the backs.

Heroic Warrior undeadplastic2711's Avatar
    I open everything no matter how rare or HTF they may be. I buy figs because I enjoy it, not for the value. Besides we all know that loose figures still fetch fair prices. Just like if I sold my loose Teela on eBay, pretty sure I could do well. But I'm not in this to sell, I just do it because I enjoy it
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Open them!!!

I open my master of the universe classic figures , Just today I received a delivery of figures and
    opened all eight of them. Still checking them out and my desk is the field of battle.
    Last edited by Mophead; January 31, 2013 at 05:06pm.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    Open the figures. When they're interacting with each other on the shelf...it takes them to a whole new level. If you must, save the card backs and name trays only. You'll still have the bios and the photos on the backs.
    This is exactly what I do!

Heroic Warrior
    i always collected all figures MOC. i just like how the packaging balances out the figure. its like the figures own personal back drop. i collect all types of figures star wars, sportspicks, horror, etc and i feel the same about them all. plus it keeps the weapons nicely organized and together instead of piling the extras that dont fit into their hands into another bin. plus god forbid you did have to resell them you have a much better chance of making extra cash.

and of all the 20 or so figures ive opened that were either extras or came extremely damaged i have ended up selling most of them. after opening i play with them 10 minutes and then just sit on a shelf instead of hanging on the wall like a packaged figure. so might as well just keep them closed cause either way they are just sitting there.

I'm typically a moc collector. About 18 months ago My motuc collection was taking up too much room..... And i did it....gave the whole lot to goodwill. No i didn't do that, but i cracked open every one of those beauties minus doubles and variants like flocked ears moss man. In modern toy collecting i've seen that opening does not depreciate value, it can even enhance it for collectors who want that toy to open and pose, but lack fortitide to remove blister from backer. Build tiny arenas of battle around your house and swap out heads and armor, customize your display, don't accept them the way mattel decided to give them to you. Do it, you won't be disappointed with these; i'm not.

Simple...buy 2 of each. One to keep MOC & one to open.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Ah the age old question.

You can totally enjoy them sealed. But you can totally enjoy them open. For me, it depends on the figure.

Some figures look nice and shiny in the package, but feel cheap once opened. In fact, many do. Some figures I'll open just because I have two, but ultimately never display it loose because it's a stinker. So, those times you'll feel like you've just got taken advantage of, as it's such a let down.

Some other figures have cool features that are fun to play with, and still feel substantial once opened. Man-E-Faces with that extra head was very fun to play with, and he is very nice loose.

Sometimes you might have packaging that doesn't quite fit the rest of your moc collection. Vykron, Orko, Marlena, stuff like that. Some people like to put stuff in the very nice Zolo cases, and these don't fit, and seem harder to protect, and not worth much anyways. And because Adam is sitting down there looking stupid, or you want to change out Vykron or Merlena, you might be better off opening those particular figures.

Some rare figures have special packaging, or are just worth too much to open. The 2nd KG has that lighting effect, and Shadow weaver looks just as nice in the package as out (better to some) and she's a cash cow. So a few figures, if it's room you're looking for, wouldn't make that much impact, and maybe should be left sealed. Teela, Fisto, Weaver, the usual subjects. Teela and Fisto though both have multiple motifs, and are key figures for a display, so that might be a very tough call.

If I didn't have two subs, I would probably not open them. And display less of them at a time, rotating the display as new ones came out and current ones got boring. I do that with some dry mounted Earl Norem posters. Three at a time, same size frames, just in rotation. So it's pretty fun.

You might even consider selling some of the figures you don't really like that much. When selling my original MOCs, as well as a Star Wars collection, I made a pile. I started with the top ten must keeps. The the top twenty. It helps to start with the one's you like the most, because at first it's hard to think you don't like some of them. But once you start, you'll see not everything is essential, and you'll make some money, and get some storage space back.

Anyways. You'll find your own personal solution, and you'll be happy!

-cheers
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Open them, what's the point? I don't get mint on card collectors so to me the answer is simple open those bad boys up! Pose them play with them. Who cares about diminished value blah blah blah. How else would you know if they're amazing figures? At that point you're going off of word of mouth so open em and see for yourself. You'll save yourself space and it will be like christmas!

There's no wrong way to enjoy your collection. I used to keep Star Wars figures MOC and at one point had them lined up against a wall with store pegs. After about 100 figures or so, it just started to look more like a toy store and less like my personal collection, so I opened them all. Value doesn't matter to me because I know I'll never get the money I put into it back. By the time I decide to sell away figures, they're no longer the hot thing and worth only a fraction of what I paid. I'm looking to get rid of my loose Star Wars collection and they're barely worth $1 each; It's probably cheaper for me to give them away or throw them out! It will probably be the same when I decided to sell my current WWE collection. I don't care, though...I bought these toys for the enjoyment that they bring me, not as some market commodity to make money from.

That's why I'm a loose collector. It's fun to pose them and just be able to hold them in my hands, reminding me for a sec of when I was a kid. They also take up less space and become easier to move around to change the displays. Keeping them loose also reminds me of the old visual checklist posters. They always showed the figures standing next to each other but not MOC.

The bottom line is to enjoy your collection! If I could make a case for keeping MOTUC figures loose, it would be to do stuff like this...

I'm a MOC Star Wars collector and a loose MOTUC collector. I've had more fun with MOTUC but I'll still never open my Star Wars....It is what it is. Enjoy your collection how you want it. If ya don't want to open them don't.

Well, if it is a space issue, then open or closed: you're gona have a problem. I think your main thing to fix is the space issue. Where are they now? Keep in mind how much you don't want to open them. Can some sort of display be made? I've seen a lot of collection pics where the cards are displayed on the wall either in rows or lined up like it was a toy store isle. Is there any room elsewhere to devote to just the toys?

My point is that opening them will give you a little space, but then you'll need other options for displaying or storing them. Those options will obviously also take space. Since you're more inclined to keep them packaged, I think you've got a lot of wall based options for display that may be easier than your options for when you remove them from the package. Of course, I'm speaking from evidence on this very forum; I collect loose, myself. So check around the picture thread and stop on the collection pics and see what people have been doing to make the most of thier space. If push comes to shove, you may have to do as others have suggested and sell some of the lesser loved ones (I'm in that boat myself).
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

I have both MOC and loose but started off MOC and there are ~ for lack of a better expression ~ pro's and con's to both. I have to admit, i don't understand the term plastic prison. This couldn't be further off the mark to me. I like having them in their package (and I can't seem to find the right words) but there's just something about having MOC figures that's appealing to a collector. Seeing all the MOC figures released so far in one 'display' is amazing to see.

But on the other hand...

It's nice to have figures you can display too, and as seen in the fans pictures thread, it can be impressive - especially with the different types of characters/figures we have up until now. Another thing is if you do open them, make sure you have somewhere you can display your figures first. Having nowhere to display your figures can be just as frustrating as finding space to store MOC figures. I'm in the midst of re-organising both my MOC and loose collection.

I guess the bottom line is, go with your gut instinct!
    Most Wanted MOTU Classics:

*MotU ~ Multi-Bot/Tung Lashor *PoP ~ Angella/Mermista *200X ~ Roboto/Calix *Filmation ~ Teela Na/Lord Masque
    *Play-Sets ~ Snake Mountain/Fright Zone *Vehicles ~ Roton/Land Shark *Beasts ~ Night Stalker/Stridor

So as a long time fan and resent collector, I know this. There is a lot of truth to what everyone is saying ... You can really pick either side and have a valid argument. But, as a collector of both vintage motu and motuc, this is what I have decided to do (and this could also change at any time). The classics line has so much more articulation than any other action figure I have ever even seen. Especially way more than the vintage line. With that said, the amount of different poses you can put the classics into is just remarkable. It's soo much fun setting up different scenes that adding new figures gives you the ability to configure countless scenes with the more figures/bests/vehicles you have.

I have played with the vintage line as a kid and I actually enjoy playing with the classics line better because of the additional weapons, interchangeable costumes and articulation. I'm only keeping a handful of my vintage line loose to remind me of when I was young and to compare technology from 30+ years ago to today, but I still have a lot vintage MOC that I refuse to open. So I'm doing the same with the classics. I'm not going to collect every figure because honestly, I don't even know who some of them are and could care less about them. I will have my shrine of both MOC and loose, just like I did and have with vintage. I like looking at both the collection of MOC vintage and classics on the wall and also I like putting the loose figures into scenarios that I could never do as a kid because its a totally different toy.

In sum, I know I haven't answered your question and the reason is .... Because there is no answer. I think those few people who do both MOC and loose complete are the ones who are doing it the right way. Why go all in one way or the other when you can do both. So my answer if asked is, DO BOTH!! Keep your 1st issue He-Man MOC and buy a reissue or loose and play with it, so on and so forth. In doing that, I think you will quickly find the answer your looking for.
    My Collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdi0veA8Kn0

Vintage Collector:
    Sell Me your MOC Vintage

My Feed Back Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...61#post3202161

I have always been a MOC collector for the most part. If there was something I wanted to open, then I just purchased two. But I have found as I have gotten older, that I never have sold any of my McFarlane (not that most of them are worth anything). All of my toys were stored in large plastic bins and left at my parents house - once I married and bought a house, I grabbed all of my old toys and brought them to my new house. After a decade of not collecting toys, I started collecting MOTUC and originally planned on keeping everything sealed. My wife wanted a Stinkor figure, because it was something she remembered from her childhood. I bought two so that she could open one - once I started posing him, examining him up close and smelling that oh so familiar smell, I decided I had to open all of my toys.

After all of these years, for me personally - I feel it is much more rewarding to open them. If you don't plan on selling them, then I think it is the best way to truly enjoy them. My friends come over and really enjoy the collection in their display case - and they get to take them out and look at them up close (the ones that don't give me a hard time for having toys). And if there are any toys you're on the fence about opening - then keep an extra packaged.

Don't open them!!! I opened all my 200x when that series was out and they were cluttery and lost their appeal over time - I have always regreted opening them. When MOTUC came out I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't make the same mistake twice. I do have a double of Mer-Man I opened and display here and there but that is it.

Also keep in mind this series has actual value MOC for certain figures.

I have a near complete collections of the original TMNT, Star Trek and Batman the Animated Series and the early series of Spawn. I could never bring myself to open them as they are all in great condition MOC. I hold my MOTUC in the same regard.

If you really feel the need to open them just make sure its something you truly want to do because its irreversible. Buy duplicates to open of the ones you like as an alternative.

I TOTALLY want to assemble my Granamyr - I opened him to make sure he wasn't broken--- but I fight the urge to assemble him as I know he can't be taken back apart easily.

Preserve them for future generations...

Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post
    Don't open them!!! I opened all my 200x when that series was out and they were cluttery and lost their appeal over time - I have always regreted opening them. When MOTUC came out I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't make the same mistake twice. I do have a double of Mer-Man I opened and display here and there but that is it.

Also keep in mind this series has actual value MOC for certain figures.

I have a near complete collections of the original TMNT, Star Trek and Batman the Animated Series and the early series of Spawn. I could never bring myself to open them as they are all in great condition MOC. I hold my MOTUC in the same regard.

If you really feel the need to open them just make sure its something you truly want to do because its irreversible. Buy duplicates to open of the ones you like as an alternative.

I TOTALLY want to assemble my Granamyr - I opened him to make sure he wasn't broken--- but I fight the urge to assemble him as I know he can't be taken back apart easily.

Preserve them for future generations...
    Actually Granamyr is not that hard to take back apart, especially if you heat him up. I have taken mine apart twice and no issues. I was going to leave him boxed too, but I really wanted to display him. And while you have to take care with him, if you plan to display him for a while, then it's fine. Take him apart once at a later date to rebox him, and all will be well, but just to be safe heat him up, and it will be fine. I did mine at room temp both times, and I popped him together at room temp, no heating. I just had to hold my thumbs against the inside of the shoulder connectors to make sure they didn't pop out when putting the arms back on, but it was no problem.

For the ab section, you kind of have to hold the belly firmly and rock it a little and it will pop off. The arms and legs are much easier than that. I never popped the tail on the second time, because of the location I have to display him , he would be too far from the wall and hang off the table. For the longest time, I just had the arms and legs plugged in, and the chest just sitting on the belly section.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by O-Scar View Post
    Open them, what's the point? I don't get mint on card collectors so to me the answer is simple open those bad boys up! Pose them play with them. Who cares about diminished value blah blah blah. How else would you know if they're amazing figures? At that point you're going off of word of mouth so open em and see for yourself. You'll save yourself space and it will be like christmas!
    Mint on card collectors are preservationists. We preserve the original experience the company used to deliver the product to us - figure, accessories, marketing, bios, etc...

To me (as a marketing person) I see beauty beyond just the figure. I like the card backs and seeing how they sit in the package - and the careful presentation of the figure in his/her 'bubble' with their name proudly displayed beneath.

Perhaps the attraction to MOC is some homage to when I was a kid and I saw a brand new figure just sitting there on the store shelf I had never seen before in awe then flipping it over and then seeing even more figures on the back that were new to me that I could one day possibly have. I opened my figures and played with them extensively but in the end they were mere shadows of their former glory - scratched and dinged up. Some weapons lost. This is why I got into MOC collecting in the first place because I wanted all those figures again new and couldn't have them.

I did play with them as a kid but they were always conduits I used to channel my elaborate stories and imagination. But these days I write my own stories with my own characters and don't necessarily need the toys as the conduits for that outlet. I do like to pose the duplicates I have open though...

I never intend to sell my figures so its not all about value to me. What I have is a mini museum of Masters of the Universe figures and I think it's pretty cool! Someday, someone else will come into possession of my collection and it will be up to them to decide what to do with them. But at least they will experience the line in it's original unopened state as it was back in the teens (minus the Digital River experience of course - some things DO NOT need to be preserved for the future)...

Heroic Warrior
    If you're willing to put in some time and effort you could sell your moc collection at cost or more on ebay and purchase the figures loose. There are always people leaving the line so you can get lose figures pretty cheap sometimes. You still have the mailers so you're in position to sell them to collectors the way they want it.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ozone View Post
    That's why I have a complete loose and moc collections.
    Me too. Except that I have a loose and MOC collection of every line I collect!!! I think I need psychiatric help because I can NEVER bring myself to open a figure unless I have a double... This gets extremely expensive with import figures like Medicos' JoJo's Bizarre Adventure figures, but I just can't open the "original" purchase...... it has to be the double that I will always eventually buy! And let's not even get started on the space this requires....

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    But you could have two loose collections instead. Just think about how cool that would be!
    Yeah, I have a couple of complete lines (of certain toys) that are loose, but then I have a third that is MOC.......... I seriously need to seek help, lol...
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

cyber-assassin
    open them. check out the gear, swap the parts. make trap-jaw kronis, then have skeletor mutilate him, and tri-klops rebuild him as ol metal mouth. ALTHOUGH, apparently moss man and stinkor both have strong odors. moss man especially. I can't smell, and asked my wife if stinkor smelled. she sniffed, and went. ugh, yeah. I got moss-man on christmas, and my wife said the pine scent brought tears to her eyes.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.