Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 531

Thread: To Open or Not to Open / MOC (mint on card) Versus Loose

  1. #401
    Heroic Warrior burgun824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    116
    Oh wait...that's right. What am I saying?

    OPEN THEM ALL RIGHT NOW!

    That makes mine worth more.
    Kittens are delicious!

  2. #402
    Heroic Warrior seth-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    664
    OK, I skipped 16 pages...But this is the answer you only need to Read!...Buy 1 or 2 Essential figures....Open them Both....If you like whats going on....open them all. If you are disappointed....Keep them MOC.
    I opened my first classics during the He-man/Battlecat Combo sale....Sadly I was disappointed...I still collect when I can afford but I only will open a figure I can get on sale. I really do feel these suckers are way over priced. It only feels fair to me when they go on sale for $15.

  3. #403
    Widget kdawq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by seth-man View Post
    OK, I skipped 16 pages...But this is the answer you only need to Read!...Buy 1 or 2 Essential figures....Open them Both....If you like whats going on....open them all. If you are disappointed....Keep them MOC.
    I opened my first classics during the He-man/Battlecat Combo sale....Sadly I was disappointed...I still collect when I can afford but I only will open a figure I can get on sale. I really do feel these suckers are way over priced. It only feels fair to me when they go on sale for $15.
    yeah I feel these are way over priced, I mean here in Canada they go for 35-55 a pop. I hope these dont set trends for 6 inch figures. I mean in reality these should be $20 max but they know collectors like us who post on boards they are a must have and they can get 35 for one of these suckers.

  4. #404
    Plundor Promoter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,108
    This is the only collection I've ever had that I collected 100% loose. I don't care about what they're "worth" cause to me they are priceless and I'm not ever planning on selling them. That said, the loose go for the same price as the MOC at the moment so that means nothing at this point.

  5. #405
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post
    I TOTALLY want to assemble my Granamyr - I opened him to make sure he wasn't broken--- but I fight the urge to assemble him as I know he can't be taken back apart easily.

    Preserve them for future generations...
    But are you going to let future generations open them?

    I think this is the point where I get confused. Granamyr - I mean, you can't even see the figure inside the box. And as you say, you really wanna open him and assemble him - so, why not do what you want with your toys?

    I know that's really a pointless argument to have, as I do understand the lure of "MOC" or "MIB", but with Gran in particular, and the fact you TOTALLY want to open him - and you spent $100 on him - man, I'd want to do more than look at the outside of the box (which you can do even after you have him out).


    Personally, with vintage toys (pre-1990) I really only collect MOC at this point. And usually AFA - I know many think it's a "scam", but I simply like how they look, and I just am not going to buy a valuable figure someone wraps in bubble wrap and sends me that I'm going to have to buy something to encase it anyway for nearly how much AFA charges anyway.

    I understand why some like MOC - for me, it's the artistic value, more so than to retain it's value. I don't care how much something is "worth" - I don't buy things for later resale, and I do what I want with them. Particularly playsets - it's so difficult to find complete playsets loose, and even when they are, there is just something about opening up one fresh and getting that experience.

    With MOTUC, I do keep my very favorite figures as extras MOC/AFA, mainly the females, but I always open one. I think MOTUC looks pretty crappy MOC, to be honest - you cannot see much of the figure, those lightning bolts are in the way, usually accessories/extra heads are hidden, and many of the poses seem unattractive to me. They simply do not show off a figure. 80's figures had such limited articulation that, say, a Star Wars vintage toy looked pretty much the same in or out of the small, neat, clear bubble (basically, you could pose their arms up or down), but MOTUC I feel it totally obscures the best features of most of the figures.

    I've also seen on eBay/etc. how quite often these figures retain much of their value even when opened, if that is a concern for some. This trend will likely continue, especially watching how other specialty lines have fared after they conclude production. Look at a series like the Buffy figures, which were produced in quantities not unlike MOTUC - even the "rarest" figures that once fetched $100's of dollars now go for $40-50, and the vast majority of figures can be had within a few bucks of retail, if not below. The rarest MOTUC figures will always retain some value - but as time goes on, they actually will likely lose value - carded or not - based on what they are "worth" today.

    In the end, of course, every collector is going to do it however the wish - personally, I couldn't not open these figures, as I think they look 100X times better out of the package than within. But I do understand the MOC-mentality - my only wish is those who "struggle" with keeping things MOC can reconcile their feelings, because while aesthetically and historically I understand that vintage figures have a certain value (aside from dollar amount), when we get to the end of the day - it would be a shame not to have enjoyed the figures you spent so much time collecting.

    In the end, there really is a certain sadness to a toy that never got played with or displayed in my eyes - unless it's artistically or historically significant in it's package, which nothing produced in the modern age really is going to be (because so many people horde them, it's actually very likely that some MOTUC figures have more copies out there sealed than loose (a very interesting thought indeed).

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by burgun824 View Post
    Oh wait...that's right. What am I saying?

    OPEN THEM ALL RIGHT NOW!

    That makes mine worth more.
    You better hope a lot do.

    Honestly, as I said above, I am absolutely sure that there are some figures in the MOTUC line which have more sealed copies out there than loose ones because people hoard them so. I mean, I don't even really resell, and I have half a closet full of neatly stacked white mailer boxes for extra heads/trade fodder/possible resale/etc. later.

  6. #406
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Svalbard
    Posts
    483
    Easy answer is open them. I can't understand MOC collectors at all. Seems pointless, might as well open a store instead if that's all you want to do with them.

  7. #407
    Heroic Warrior burgun824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    Easy answer is open them. I can't understand MOC collectors at all. Seems pointless, might as well open a store instead if that's all you want to do with them.
    You don't have to understand, you merely have to accept.

    And trust me, it takes a lot of self control to not shred into those packages some days.
    Kittens are delicious!

  8. #408
    Heroic Warrior King Criss79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Parts Unknown
    Posts
    494
    It seems to me that the packaging caters to MOC.Nice square box with figures sitting behind clear bubble.Granted you can't see everything packaged in but the packaging presents itself well.

  9. #409
    Heroic Warrior Eternian Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,839
    It is a most excellent idea to leave your painted, poseable, shaped plastic inside the plastic bubble, where it will slowly decay. Why else buy these things but to leave them packaged, hanging on a wall?
    ***
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

  10. #410
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,136
    Quote Originally Posted by burgun824 View Post
    You don't have to understand, you merely have to accept.

    And trust me, it takes a lot of self control to not shred into those packages some days.
    I guess that's where some of us find the confusion.

    If you have to fight yourself to not open them, it's sort of like some of the vegetarians that I know (and I know a lot of them) that crave meat all the time. If their bodies are telling them they need/want to eat it, they should. Now, I know plenty of veggie folk that do not crave meat, because being that way is good for them. But the people that struggle with it are obviously missing something dietary they are craving.

    Another example is cars - my mom has a very nice car (probably the first nice car she has really ever had) yet she is afraid to drive it anywhere because of too much wear and tear. It's like..but it's a car, if you aren't using it, what use is it really?

    I kinda feel the same way here. If it's such a struggle - why not give yourself what you want?

    I totally get those that keep them sealed up who like it that way, but if it's difficult to do - maybe your body is telling you something.

  11. #411
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Svalbard
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by burgun824 View Post
    You don't have to understand, you merely have to accept.

    And trust me, it takes a lot of self control to not shred into those packages some days.
    Yeah, I can accept it. I mean it really doesn't affect my life at all now does it? But you yourself are talking about self control... so why bother? Why nut just unleash the fun?!?!?!

  12. #412
    Heroic Warrior burgun824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    Yeah, I can accept it. I mean it really doesn't affect my life at all now does it? But you yourself are talking about self control... so why bother? Why nut just unleash the fun?!?!?!
    Ultimately I wish I could afford to purchase two of each so that I could keep one wrapped and have the other to "play" with. However I don't have that luxury (except for the occasional splurge). To this date I have always eventually regretted opening a figure that I didn't have a duplicate of. Every time. And it strictly boils down to perceived value. But perceived value is subjective because it varies from person to person. Sure, I have days that I would love to open every MOTU figure I have and sit there with my daughter and nephews having a big time. But then after that they would just get put into a bin and shoved to the side or stuck up on the shelf for a bit and then eventually into the bin when the wife starts fussing. The wife for some reason doesn't mind so much though if they're displayed in their package. I still have all my 200x figs up on the wall in cases I built. She actually admitted that she thought they looked sharp the way I did it. I currently waiting to finish this line so that I can take the 200x figs down and build new cases for the classics. At which point I will likely sell my 200x figs. If they're in their box then they are easier to resell. I may not get any more for them then if they are loose but I'm likelier to re-sell them on the secondary market.

    Basically, in my household, with my circumstances it is just wiser to leave them boxed. And I don't mind so much because I prefer them that way so it works out. I get over the temptations quickly anyway when I see how awesome they look all lined up next to each other in their packaging. Some folks don't like the "toy store" display look, but keep in mind that others do.
    Kittens are delicious!

  13. #413
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Svalbard
    Posts
    483
    So, let me get this straight then...

    MOC collectors treat MOTUC as an investment, upon which they eventually hope to cash in

    Open collectors treat MOTUC as something they enjoy for the simply love of the toys and have no desire to cash in


    Seems like MOC collectors have their priorities misaligned. *shrugs*

  14. #414
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    MOC collectors treat MOTUC as an investment, upon which they eventually hope to cash in
    No, some may, but not all, some really enjoy the look of them packaged, I am a somewhat MOSC collector, even though I had to open mine, I don't collect for value, I collect for fun and the love of seeing them carded. The ones I don't understand are the ones that set them up like a store on pegs, where they have 5 different characters to a peg....I want to see every individual figure packaged or loose, I also hate cluttered looking loose displays. I don't have need to physically touch my toys to enjoy them.

    Not all MOSC collectors collect for future value, some actually just prefer looking at them displayed that way. I would say only a small part actually collect to preserve and for value.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  15. #415
    Heroic Warrior yeahthatsme1973's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    341
    There are definitely times when I enjoy looking at them displayed in package. I've never been able to put my finger on why though. Part of me thinks it taps into that moment when I was younger finding a new figure I didn't have yet and seeing it on the peg in the toy store. There was such a wow factor associated with it that still creeps in when I see MOC figures for the line show up at my door. I keep them MOC for a couple of days and then I open them. With the 2013 sub though, I got two mostly because I wanted to see if I could recoup the cost and still help out the line. Sadly though, I don't have the motivation to post and follow through so my MOC Ram Man and Jitsu have been boxed up awaiting their fate. I still like to look at them though occasionally.

  16. #416
    Refreshing Midwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Home of the Power Tour
    Posts
    2,256
    I agree with Shadowfall1976. 99% of my collection is MOC yet I don't do this because of the investment. I actually like the figures MOC or loose.

    My main issue is that it is too expensive to buy two of every figure so 99% of my collection has reamined on card. My hope is that someday I will start to buy loose figures from other members to have the best of both worlds. I also have a hard time opening a MOC figure, but if someone else does it then I don't mind buying them already opened.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    No, some may, but not all, some really enjoy the look of them packaged, I am a somewhat MOSC collector, even though I had to open mine, I don't collect for value, I collect for fun and the love of seeing them carded. The ones I don't understand are the ones that set them up like a store on pegs, where they have 5 different characters to a peg....I want to see every individual figure packaged or loose, I also hate cluttered looking loose displays. I don't have need to physically touch my toys to enjoy them.

    Not all MOSC collectors collect for future value, some actually just prefer looking at them displayed that way. I would say only a small part actually collect to preserve and for value.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

  17. #417
    Heroic Warrior AuraBoyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    But are you going to let future generations open them?
    This is a good question... To be honest I HAVE thought about this in depth. Being gay I most likely will have no children BUT if I did have kids in the future a large part of me might cave in and let my kid open them up and play with them - and it would be a kick *** toy collection!

    As far as anyone else - I could see myself leaving them to my sisters kids and let them do whatever they choose with them. But with a complete unopened collection one will treat them as a whole, differently than if some were open and some were boxed. They might get a little more respect while their fate was being determined.

    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    I think this is the point where I get confused. Granamyr - I mean, you can't even see the figure inside the box. And as you say, you really wanna open him and assemble him - so, why not do what you want with your toys?

    I know that's really a pointless argument to have, as I do understand the lure of "MOC" or "MIB", but with Gran in particular, and the fact you TOTALLY want to open him - and you spent $100 on him - man, I'd want to do more than look at the outside of the box (which you can do even after you have him out).
    Well partly I suppose is I fear he will get ruined. Which he most likely will. I had opened a spare Mer-Man several years ago and my lovely dog got him and there are teeth marks in his right leg. Not only that but I find once opened, the figures loose some of their luster and appeal...

    As stated before I opened all my 200x figures and I had them all displayed proudly in a curio cabinet for years... Now they are packed in a box in my basement (partly because they lost their luster and partly because I was furious that they cancelled the series)... I promised myself I wouldn't do that again when the Classics line was released. If they are going to end up being packed away at some point anyway, I would rather them be packed away MOC.

    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    In the end, of course, every collector is going to do it however the wish - personally, I couldn't not open these figures, as I think they look 100X times better out of the package than within. But I do understand the MOC-mentality - my only wish is those who "struggle" with keeping things MOC can reconcile their feelings, because while aesthetically and historically I understand that vintage figures have a certain value (aside from dollar amount), when we get to the end of the day - it would be a shame not to have enjoyed the figures you spent so much time collecting.
    I do enjoy the figures... Whenever new ones come in they get placed proudly in my kitchen on a prominent shelf (Right now Ram Man and Jitsu are there)... They stay on display until the next ones come. When my friends or my roommates friends come over they all comment on them and it is kind of cool. (I have even found some people reading the bios!). The only one I have even romotely struggled with is Granamyr - only because there is the loophole of him being taken out of the packaging to check for damage. But at the end of the day I just want to keep the entire collection together MOC/MIB. I am incredibly glad I never opened my original TMNT figures. I have a near complete collection, varients and all (minus Scratch), and would have kicked myself for opening them.

    Quote Originally Posted by EtherianChronicles View Post
    In the end, there really is a certain sadness to a toy that never got played with or displayed in my eyes - unless it's artistically or historically significant in it's package, which nothing produced in the modern age really is going to be (because so many people horde them, it's actually very likely that some MOTUC figures have more copies out there sealed than loose (a very interesting thought indeed).
    When I was collecting MOC TMNT, Star Trek, Spawn, Batman in the late 80's and 90's people said it was silly because no figures would ever compare in value to the MOC Star Wars or G.I. Joes - while this is mostly still probably the case, many people have changed their tune as some of these figures are in fact worth something. All they need is time. Time eventually widdles down on the extra copies out there.

    And I might add MOUTC is a very niche line... There are nowhere near the amount of copies produced per figure to match any of the great action figure series that were all mass produced. There are less MOTUC figures out there than everyone thinks. In fact, many of the errors/controversies in this line are probably amplified mainly because in a mass produced line reversed shoulders, forearms or even paint errors would all be corrected and would be less seen due to the sheet volume of figures being produced. We are living in a microcosm with this line.

    Also, the more figures/characters ToyGuru and Mattel release the more historically significant this line will become (and it already is historically significant in the MOTU community). I still believe the 'perfect-storm' of this line will never occur again. Filmation, NA, 200x, Mini Comics, POP, Prototypes, etc. all rolled into one cohesive entity. In pop culture MOTU IS historically significant and with all these versions of it converging into one great moment in the sun - I will gladly keep them preserved. And if a new MOTU movie or cartoon becomes the next big thing - there will be a shift in people wanting these figures.

    BUT I think after all this discussion I will go open the Stratos I was given for Frosta's arms. I already have two - so why not? I will display him next to my dog-chomped Mer-Man! BATTLE DAMAGE!

    ---


  18. #418
    Heroic Podcaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    1,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    So, let me get this straight then...

    MOC collectors treat MOTUC as an investment, upon which they eventually hope to cash in

    Open collectors treat MOTUC as something they enjoy for the simply love of the toys and have no desire to cash in


    Seems like MOC collectors have their priorities misaligned. *shrugs*
    Uh, no. I am a 100% MOC collector and I could not care less how much they are worth. I love the way they look displayed in package because, as others have pointed out, it takes me back to the day when I'd rush into Toys R Us and see all the new MOTU on the pegs high above me. My hobby room is like a time capsule and that is where my enjoyment comes. If I opened them all I'd still enjoy them but in a different way.

    To each their own. Though, I do see a lot of loose collectors posting that they think MOCers are crazy, while I don't often see MOCers saying anything negative about loose collectors. I think part of that is because all MOCers were loose collectors once...as kids.

    Enjoy MOTUC however you like! Long live the line!
    Angella - Blast Attak - Buzzsaw Hordak - Dragstor - ELDOR! - ENTRAPTA! - FLUTTERINA! - Flying Fists He-Man - GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man - Lazer Light Skeletor - MERMISTA! - MultiBot - NINJOR! - Peekablue - Perfuma - RIO BLAST! - Rotar
    Saurod - SPINNERELLA! - Sssqueeze - SWEET BEE! - Terror Claws Skeletor - TUNG LASHOR! - Twistoid

  19. #419
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    I do see a lot of loose collectors posting that they think MOCers are crazy, while I don't often see MOCers saying anything negative about loose collectors.
    So, I'm not the only one who sees this....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  20. #420
    Heroic Warrior wundarwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eaton OH
    Posts
    1,547
    I Open every figure and have never regretted it. I Like enjoying them and posing them all together. I have a lot of extras MOC and i really don't know what to do with them. They are just taking up space and I'm seriously doubting that there will be a huge price difference in the future if i ever wanted to sell them, which I know i won't. Ever since i was a kid I've opened and taken great care of my toys. I've never collected them to sell so having them in box never made sense to me. I Will always advocate opening and enjoying the figures.

  21. #421
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    8,069
    I'm a MOC collector. I don't do it for re-sale value. I just like the way they look in package. Particularly in Zoloworld cases, I think they look pretty cool on shelves. I don't fault anyone that does, but I haven't played with toys (unless with my kids) in a long, long time. I also don't have to worry about loose joints and a lot of other quality control issues unless obvious.

  22. #422
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    56
    I initially started collecting MOTUC with the intentions of opening everything for display. But I don't have space for it in my current home and have been storing them MOC. As certain figures have risen in value over time (Fisto, Teela), I have a much harder time wrapping my head around opening them. Maybe down the road I'll buy up loose figures for display.

    I also realize that as a kid, the most exciting moment of toy ownership for me was finding that holy grail figure or playset and seeing the box on the shelf (or peg) in the store. Yeah I had a blast getting it home and tearing it open, but nothing beats that feeling of picking up a brand new box in the store. I have vivid memories of those moments - Fortress Maximus, Castle Grayskull, Wheeljack-Sunstreaker-Jazz trifecta (years after they were released; must have been a Kiddie City warehouse find), Defiant Space Shuttle Complex, and later Super Nintendo. Sadly, my Dad would never get me the U.S.S. FLAGG due to space concerns. Argh! Of course, I am now making the opposite mistake, spoiling my son buying him everything.

  23. #423
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Svalbard
    Posts
    483
    So I have a question for MOC collectors then...

    Why buy them at all, why not just get high res pictures of them in their packages off of the internet? Same thing isn't it?

  24. #424
    Heroic Warrior AuraBoyX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    So I have a question for MOC collectors then...

    Why buy them at all, why not just get high res pictures of them in their packages off of the internet? Same thing isn't it?
    Now that is just silly... No it is not the same thing at all.

  25. #425
    Merchandise Collector jmb410s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,972
    I like them to use as wallpaper
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •