Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 475 of 531

Thread: To Open or Not to Open / MOC (mint on card) Versus Loose

  1. #451
    Heroic Podcaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    IOWA
    Posts
    1,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    Anyway, thanks again SunDevil I understand MOC collecting a whole lot better now and have a great deal of respect for why it means so much to you.
    Glad to help! Loose or MOC - MOTU rules!
    Angella Blast Attak Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor ELDOR! ENTRAPTA! FLUTTERINA! Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MultiBot NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma RIO BLAST! Rotar
    Saurod SPINNERELLA! Sssqueeze SWEET BEE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

  2. #452
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Svalbard
    Posts
    483
    Quote Originally Posted by burgun824 View Post
    You are being argumentative and disrespectful regardless of how clever you think you might be in the process. But alas I see this is going nowhere, so I'm fine leaving it at that.

    You have a good day as well.
    You shouldn't ever assume because it makes a "donkey" out of u and me.

    All the best.

  3. #453
    Heroic Warrior atlas0413's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    273
    I really dont understand the MOC thing either but i dont really care. As long as i have my figures i am happy.
    There are a lot of figures being stored away MOC as people think that they will be worth a lot in the future but once the line ends i suspect prices will fall and once we (children of the 80's) all get older, and there is no sentimental attachment to these toys for our children, they will be worthless as there will no longer be an active buying market. So enjoy them as much as you can now.

  4. #454
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,554
    Quote Originally Posted by atlas0413 View Post
    I really dont understand the MOC thing either but i dont really care. As long as i have my figures i am happy.
    There are a lot of figures being stored away MOC as people think that they will be worth a lot in the future but once the line ends i suspect prices will fall and once we (children of the 80's) all get older, and there is no sentimental attachment to these toys for our children, they will be worthless as there will no longer be an active buying market. So enjoy them as much as you can now.
    Not all MOSC collectors horde these things like they will be an investment, just because a small group does, doesn't reflect on the whole MOSC collector base, who for the most part collect them MOSC to display carded, not for future value, other than in 30 years, if they so choose, they can have mint fresh figures to finally open, while our loose figures have become too lose to do anything except lay in a storage bins.

    Also, Who's to say MOTUC will not have sentimental value for our kids? My son loves his He-Man figures, just as much as I did, plus he's always in my collections room....and you seriously don't think the day he gets my stuff, hell have no attachment to them? With all the years between now and then us playing with his figures, and us looking at mine and talking about them, he'll develop that attachment....so unless you never let your kids play with or look at your collection, or never buy them their own....they will most assuredly develop ties to your figures.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  5. #455
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by atlas0413 View Post
    I really dont understand the MOC thing either but i dont really care. As long as i have my figures i am happy.
    There are a lot of figures being stored away MOC as people think that they will be worth a lot in the future but once the line ends i suspect prices will fall and once we (children of the 80's) all get older, and there is no sentimental attachment to these toys for our children, they will be worthless as there will no longer be an active buying market. So enjoy them as much as you can now.
    It's funny how you sound like you're trying to convice yourself that these will be "worthless" in the future.

  6. #456
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,560
    A little tale of meeting an Aurora model collector several years ago. Now, admittedly, he wasn't just a collector, but a dealer, as well, and an extremely obnoxious person all around. He was going on and on about a sealed, Frankenstein model from the 60's, and how he would never part with such a rare treasure, blah, blah, yakkity schmakkity. Finally got on my nerves to the point that I piped up and asked, "How do you know it's a Frankenstein model?" He looked at me like I had two heads. "It's sealed in the box," he snorted. I then pointed out that Aurora was famous for packing the wrong models in the wrong box, so, if it was sealed and he never opened it, how does he know there's a frankenstein model in there? It was one of the only times in my long life I actually succeeded in leaving someone speechless (at least for a moment, then he quickly changed the subject). Just some perspective on MIB stuff.

    Me, I don't understand the MOC/MIB mentality myself (partly for the above reason when it comes to boxed items). But not understanding doesn't mean I can't respect that choice, or that I think everyone who collects that way is interested only in what they can eventually get on e-bay. Different folks have different tastes, and as long as you're enjoying yourself, collect however you like. And that is the main thing above all else: enjoying it.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  7. #457
    Heroic Warrior burgun824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by atlas0413 View Post
    I really dont understand the MOC thing either but i dont really care. As long as i have my figures i am happy.
    There are a lot of figures being stored away MOC as people think that they will be worth a lot in the future but once the line ends i suspect prices will fall and once we (children of the 80's) all get older, and there is no sentimental attachment to these toys for our children, they will be worthless as there will no longer be an active buying market. So enjoy them as much as you can now.
    I have no preconceived notion that I'll be able to sell these for a profit some day. I buy MOTU because it was my favorite growing up. I leave them in their box because that's the way I prefer to display them. I enjoy the thrill of ripping one open every now and again but I buy a duplicate for that. However, leaving them in their package does increase their resale value IMO which is nothing more than a bonus if I ever did decide to sell them.

    If I had the square footage and the extra capitol to afford it I would have two of each. One opened on stand displayed in front of one MOSC. But then my wife would kill me. Now I love MOTU...but not THAT much.
    Kittens are delicious!

  8. #458
    Heroic Warrior atlas0413's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Also, Who's to say MOTUC will not have sentimental value for our kids? My son loves his He-Man figures, just as much as I did, plus he's always in my collections room....and you seriously don't think the day he gets my stuff, hell have no attachment to them? With all the years between now and then us playing with his figures, and us looking at mine and talking about them, he'll develop that attachment....so unless you never let your kids play with or look at your collection, or never buy them their own....they will most assuredly develop ties to your figures.
    The fan base will become extremely small if it is just a % of our kids who still have interest in the figures later on, and they will have our collections so wont need to buy them from other people.

    Quote Originally Posted by cax16 View Post
    It's funny how you sound like you're trying to convice yourself that these will be "worthless" in the future.
    And to reply to Cax message, i never intended on making money from these toys, like these people on eBay, but when there are no more buyers for these toys (looking far into the future), then their value will be diminished - simple laws of supply and demand.

    So if you like them MOC or loose it wont make a difference.

  9. #459
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,554
    Quote Originally Posted by atlas0413 View Post
    The fan base will become extremely small if it is just a % of our kids who still have interest in the figures later on, and they will have our collections so wont need to buy them from other people.
    It doesn't matter if they have our collections or need to find them, my point wasn't about resale value, it was about nostalgic value....and my son for one will carry that into the future, and I know on here alone, many collectors let their kids in on the collections they have, and many will retain that sentimental value. And if there's no MOTU in the future, then our collections will be all that's left anyway. So what then does it matter if the percentage is small or not? As I said, I wasn't referring to our kids having to find them later, and I wasn't referring to future value aside from nostalgic and sentimental value.

    I commented on you saying "and there is no sentimental attachment to these toys for our children". And my comment was, if you play with your kids, and they play with your toys, or you buy them their own....they will assuredly develop sentimental value. I don't care how much these things are worth, I care that my son will own them when I am gone, and I want to leave him the best examples of these things as I can. That is what I'm saying as far as preserving them....I don't care about the future of MOTU, or MOTUC, I care about my son having them later, and the memories he'll have of us playing together with his MOTUC, and looking at mine, and he will most assuredly develop that sentimental value.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  10. #460
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles(Long Beach)
    Posts
    353
    Cant do MOSC myself but if others want to thats fine, doesnt bother me. Id like to have the core characters MOSC but not enough to track them down and overpay for them.

  11. #461
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,560
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I commented on you saying "and there is no sentimental attachment to these toys for our children". And my comment was, if you play with your kids, and they play with your toys, or you buy them their own....they will assuredly develop sentimental value. I don't care how much these things are worth, I care that my son will own them when I am gone, and I want to leave him the best examples of these things as I can. That is what I'm saying as far as preserving them....I don't care about the future of MOTU, or MOTUC, I care about my son having them later, and the memories he'll have of us playing together with his MOTUC, and looking at mine, and he will most assuredly develop that sentimental value.
    And thus you have, indeed, seen the true value of these figures.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  12. #462
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,554
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    And thus you have, indeed, seen the true value of these figures.
    And that is the only value I truly care about. What the time we spend with the figures means to that little 3 year old of mine.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  13. #463
    Heroic Warrior atlas0413's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    273
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    And that is the only value I truly care about. What the time we spend with the figures means to that little 3 year old of mine.
    Thankyou, i 100% agree that the value of these toys is the enjoyment that you get from them, whether it is you or with your kids. Using them as they were intended serves a lot better purpose than keeping them locked away for fear of damage etc. It is what i have always suggested in my posts and by the way, my 2 girls have their own She-Ra and He-Man figures and watch the cartoons every night before they go to bed so i understand the connection you have with your children through MOTU as well.

  14. #464
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,560
    Quote Originally Posted by atlas0413 View Post
    Thankyou, i 100% agree that the value of these toys is the enjoyment that you get from them, whether it is you or with your kids. Using them as they were intended serves a lot better purpose than keeping them locked away for fear of damage etc. It is what i have always suggested in my posts and by the way, my 2 girls have their own She-Ra and He-Man figures and watch the cartoons every night before they go to bed so i understand the connection you have with your children through MOTU as well.
    Now that is something to warm the heart of any MOTU fan.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  15. #465
    Heroic Warrior burgun824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by atlas0413 View Post
    ...Using them as they were intended serves a lot better purpose than keeping them locked away for fear of damage etc...
    This is subjective. I could argue that their intent is to remain in their package because it says Adult Collector on the package. Which is admittedly ALSO not a very good argument.

    Here's something I don't understand; why all of the apparent frustration from loose collectors who seem to assertively "not understand" why someone would want to leave them in their packaging? Most of you have made the statement that you "don't care if someone chooses to leave the figure in its package" but then most of you also turn right around and make a rather aggressive sounding statement about how "you don't get it." Maybe I'm just loosing the tone in translation but the statements come off sounding legitimately condescending. This truely doesn't hurt my feelings at all, personally, but it does raise the question.

    Is it really that difficult to comprehend that with as large as this planet is and with as many people on it that there are that maybe it could be possible that some people really do just enjoy seeing these things in their original packaging?

    I don't understand why anyone would want to consume a live octopus but my response is to shrug and say, "That's cool. Whatever blows your hair back."
    Kittens are delicious!

  16. #466
    Heroic Warrior guardianmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    329
    I will be moving soon and facing the very real prospect of having much less space than I'm accustomed. I've been working over the past couple of weekends to try to figure out what I can part with and what I truly will treasure. Over the years, like a lot of you, I've amassed a large, varied collection. At some point in my teens, I started keeping the packaging for a number of my buys. For instance, though I opened them all, I've got the packaging for all of my Beast Wars and Beast Machines. I've now got a huge collection of MOTUC and their accompanying packaging.

    The thing is that I really want to part with the packaging. Loose figures take up considerably less room but I'm struggling with actually throwing away the packaging. A number of figures have been damaged or warped from packaging in shipment, the card backs aren't visually exciting, and the bios leave me cold. So why can't I just give up the packaging?? (I don't think I'll ever want to get rid of the Wind Raider box, though)

    There's a part of my that worries that "someday" I may regret throwing away the packaging. Or maybe I'm still clinging to a thought of "worth," which is pretty ridiculous since I'm not a collector of the stripe that wants to get anything from my collection other than enjoyment. eBay turns me off; whenever I do get rid of things, I do my best to trade them for things I really want (and try to trade lots of my stuff for the one thing I want, regardless of value) or to put these toys in the hands of those that will really enjoy them.

    So. Long-windedly, this is me asking for advice or a friendly push. MOTUC loose will take up so much less space than keeping all the mailer boxes, the packaging, etc.

  17. #467
    Heroic Warrior T-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Indiana
    Posts
    503
    I have on moc collection. I keep them moc becuase all of my 200x figures end up dusty over the years also alot of my 200x stations damage eaily and some bend over from the plastic. Since I dont have a big cabinet I bought extra hang tags for my motuc collection and they look awesome displayed on one huge wall. One day if I get a nice big glass display cabinet I may open them. But right now it looks great moc and keeps them in mint conditon. I will most likely open them one day but I love how I have them displayed right now.

  18. #468
    Heroic Warrior burgun824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by guardianmonkey View Post
    The thing is that I really want to part with the packaging. Loose figures take up considerably less room but I'm struggling with actually throwing away the packaging. A number of figures have been damaged or warped from packaging in shipment, the card backs aren't visually exciting, and the bios leave me cold. So why can't I just give up the packaging?? (I don't think I'll ever want to get rid of the Wind Raider box, though)
    Just chuck it man. It's okay to let go.
    Kittens are delicious!

  19. #469
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Svalbard
    Posts
    483
    As a loose collector, I've kept my WR and Granamyr boxes. The art is too beautiful to throw away.

  20. #470
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,560
    Quote Originally Posted by burgun824 View Post
    Here's something I don't understand; why all of the apparent frustration from loose collectors who seem to assertively "not understand" why someone would want to leave them in their packaging? Most of you have made the statement that you "don't care if someone chooses to leave the figure in its package" but then most of you also turn right around and make a rather aggressive sounding statement about how "you don't get it." Maybe I'm just loosing the tone in translation but the statements come off sounding legitimately condescending. This truely doesn't hurt my feelings at all, personally, but it does raise the question.
    In fairness, some of the MIB folks basically told the loose collectors they were a bunch of immature children who wanted their He-Man and Teela figures to kiss because they couldn't get a real girl.

    From one perspective, I don't see the value in paying full amount for a fully articulated action figure and then not using the articulation I'm paying so much for. I won't pay 80 bucks for nothing but a box with Granamyr's picture on it, but I would pay it for a posable figure I can put in my display. But, again, that's just my take on it, and my preferences, and nothing to say that someone who doesn't open their figures isn't doing the collecting thing "right."
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  21. #471
    Heroic Warrior burgun824's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    In fairness, some of the MIB folks basically told the loose collectors they were a bunch of immature children who wanted their He-Man and Teela figures to kiss because they couldn't get a real girl.
    Whoever came up with that is a comedic genius. I bet it was in response to a relatively condescending comment made by a loose collector though.

    Believe it or not, on your point about Granamyr I fully agree. Of all the pieces in the line to this point there are very few I have not purchased. Of them are the Wind Raider, Granamyr, and Castle Grayskull because I can not display them in box. The box art was lovely and I would have really liked to own them but if the packaging doesn't have a window it's pretty much useless to me. I was somewhat bummed when I saw that Granamyr didn't have a window. I would have liked to have picked him up. But to your point I couldn't justify spending 80 quid for a box.
    Kittens are delicious!

  22. #472
    Heroic Warrior darkchina811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ITALY
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post
    It is called collecting. I am a collector of action figures. I collect them. Some people collect coins, some people collect baseball cards, some people collect Barbie dolls (that they don't open), I collect action figures.

    I don't collect photos of action figures. I am not a photo collector. I collect action figures.

    I don't play with or pose my figures - nor do I feel a need to. I find enjoyment in collecting action figures and leave them in the box. Simple.
    hey man it really seems like you've read my mind. I actually stole some of this and posted it as a Facebook's status

    I am a MOC MOTUC collector (cherry picker by the way, I just can't afford all figures nor I do like them all) because it reminds me about grabbing the new toy on the shelf, at the store. other people already pointed this out. plus, I don't wanna deal with QC issues or even think about having to dust my figures. plus again, I could really never find the courage to open Shadow Weaver. and again, I have an AFA Scareglow (my favourite AF) which is actually impossible to open

    however, I also have a vintage MOTU loose collection. this is simply because when I was a child, it was impossible to keep them in the package; but even if they are loose it doesn't mean that I play with them. they are displayed in a showcase in my room and I simply enjoy staring at them, even if for less than a minute in a week. I mean, they would be MOC if I had my actual age back when they sold them. I'd love a MOC MOTU collection but starting it nowadays would just be insane.

    anyway I decided today, while reading these 19 pages and writing this, to look for *SOME* loose MOTUCs... I mean, I wanna touch and tweak the figures I love the most, starting with Scareglow, Skeletor and He-Man, and maybe some others, I'll make a small list. but they will be doubles, IN NO WAY I AM OPENING MY MOC FIGURES.

    I guess I will make an exception for Granamyr, tough, but that's simply because the packaging hides him and because it would be easy to get it back to "semi-MOC"
    He-Man & She-Ra... ma se lui uomo, perchè lei RA???

  23. #473
    Got Filmation? shadowfall1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Damn Mitten....
    Posts
    6,554
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    hey man it really seems like you've read my mind. I actually stole some of this and posted it as a Facebook's status

    I am a MOC MOTUC collector (cherry picker by the way, I just can't afford all figures nor I do like them all) because it reminds me about grabbing the new toy on the shelf, at the store. other people already pointed this out. plus, I don't wanna deal with QC issues or even think about having to dust my figures. plus again, I could really never find the courage to open Shadow Weaver. and again, I have an AFA Scareglow (my favourite AF) which is actually impossible to open

    however, I also have a vintage MOTU loose collection. this is simply because when I was a child, it was impossible to keep them in the package; but even if they are loose it doesn't mean that I play with them. they are displayed in a showcase in my room and I simply enjoy staring at them, even if for less than a minute in a week. I mean, they would be MOC if I had my actual age back when they sold them. I'd love a MOC MOTU collection but starting it nowadays would just be insane.

    anyway I decided today, while reading these 19 pages and writing this, to look for *SOME* loose MOTUCs... I mean, I wanna touch and tweak the figures I love the most, starting with Scareglow, Skeletor and He-Man, and maybe some others, I'll make a small list. but they will be doubles, IN NO WAY I AM OPENING MY MOC FIGURES.

    I guess I will make an exception for Granamyr, tough, but that's simply because the packaging hides him and because it would be easy to get it back to "semi-MOC"
    Granamyr is fairly easy to disassemble, so long as you heat him, and do it slowly, don't just pull and tug, I've done it, and not so much as a stress mark on the connectors. But for the shoulders, you do need to make sure you put your thumb on the inside of the chest and hold against the connector sockets, just to ensure, they don't pop out inside the body.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

    Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

    Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

  24. #474
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland area
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    hey man it really seems like you've read my mind. I actually stole some of this and posted it as a Facebook's status

    I am a MOC MOTUC collector (cherry picker by the way, I just can't afford all figures nor I do like them all) because it reminds me about grabbing the new toy on the shelf, at the store. other people already pointed this out. plus, I don't wanna deal with QC issues or even think about having to dust my figures. plus again, I could really never find the courage to open Shadow Weaver. and again, I have an AFA Scareglow (my favourite AF) which is actually impossible to open

    however, I also have a vintage MOTU loose collection. this is simply because when I was a child, it was impossible to keep them in the package; but even if they are loose it doesn't mean that I play with them. they are displayed in a showcase in my room and I simply enjoy staring at them, even if for less than a minute in a week. I mean, they would be MOC if I had my actual age back when they sold them. I'd love a MOC MOTU collection but starting it nowadays would just be insane.

    anyway I decided today, while reading these 19 pages and writing this, to look for *SOME* loose MOTUCs... I mean, I wanna touch and tweak the figures I love the most, starting with Scareglow, Skeletor and He-Man, and maybe some others, I'll make a small list. but they will be doubles, IN NO WAY I AM OPENING MY MOC FIGURES.

    I guess I will make an exception for Granamyr, tough, but that's simply because the packaging hides him and because it would be easy to get it back to "semi-MOC"
    on your AFA graded scareglow, where did u have them place the label, at the top or bottom? the reason i ask is cuz most AFA graded motuc i've seen on ebay have been all labeled at the top of the case and i really hate that look. wanted to see how MOTUC figured looked inside the case with the label at the bottom. can u post a pic, thanks.

  25. #475
    Heroic Warrior darkchina811's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ITALY
    Posts
    204
    then you're gonna hate mine too, as the label is at the top
    He-Man & She-Ra... ma se lui uomo, perchè lei RA???

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •