Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: To Open or Not to Open / MOC (mint on card) Versus Loose

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    then you're gonna hate mine too, as the label is at the top
    lol hate is a strong word.

First off I keep my MOTU classics on display at my tattoo shop and not in my home. Having said that it is much easier to display my characters still MOC due to the little clear flip up tab making it so simple to hang them. In my tattooing room my collection lines the ceiling and looks awesome. It is just easier than trying to keep up with weapons, heads, etc... in a work setting anyway. Also at my shop any figures from other toy lines I've opened suddenly become fair game for customers and friends to paw all over and pose in countless lewd and crude positions. That said not a day goes by I don't look at them and think how badly I want to shred the packages and play, my inner chills pretty much runs my life, and torments me everyday with the urge to play. I'm very proud of my toys and honestly don't know how I haven't opened them yet. I did open all my Voltron lions to assemble Voltron, and I did open Granamyr because he is an awesome business card holder at the tattoo shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossor View Post
    I did open all my Voltron lions to assemble Voltron...
    I fight with this one myself. I am curious to know if it's possible to get the Lions out without mangling the packaging.
    Kittens are delicious!

For it depends on the figure. Most I open, however there are select few, mostly the rarer figures such as the Club Eternia Exclusives, other figures that can only be gotten by subscription and possible Ram Man (Haven't decided if I want to open him or not) that I keep sealed.

as previously stated, I started looking for some loose figures. I surely wanna get Scareglow, which is my favourite ever. beside him, I decided for the most rappresentative figures of the line, so HE-MAN and SHE-RA, SKELETOR and HORDAK.

I didn't find any loose to get quickly, so I took the four MOCs and opened them. I know this goes against what I said before, but once I get something in my mind it's difficult to resist. I'll buy them MOC again, maybe on next black friday to get the discount.

well, it is a shame, to open them, I mean. if the figure has a cape the inner bubble has to be cut, or there's no way to take the figure out. I wonder how they managed to put them in. the half swords are severely bent, so is Hordak's staff, and so is She-ra's sword. I wanted to change She-ra's head, and once I took out the stock head, it took almost half a hour to put the other one on. I am not joking, it simply didn't go in, the neck peg bent and it looked as it was about to break. I also tried with the heating gun. then, it popped in place, I don't know how. her feet are also extremely loose, the joints I mean, so she can barely stand. here and there, there are paint flaws. these figures aren't simply worth the money we pay.

I guess the loose experience is definitely over
    He-Man & She-Ra... ma se lui uomo, perchè lei RA???

Quote Originally Posted by darkchina811 View Post
    as previously stated, I started looking for some loose figures. I surely wanna get Scareglow, which is my favourite ever. beside him, I decided for the most rappresentative figures of the line, so HE-MAN and SHE-RA, SKELETOR and HORDAK.

I didn't find any loose to get quickly, so I took the four MOCs and opened them. I know this goes against what I said before, but once I get something in my mind it's difficult to resist. I'll buy them MOC again, maybe on next black friday to get the discount.

well, it is a shame, to open them, I mean. if the figure has a cape the inner bubble has to be cut, or there's no way to take the figure out. I wonder how they managed to put them in. the half swords are severely bent, so is Hordak's staff, and so is She-ra's sword. I wanted to change She-ra's head, and once I took out the stock head, it took almost half a hour to put the other one on. I am not joking, it simply didn't go in, the neck peg bent and it looked as it was about to break. I also tried with the heating gun. then, it popped in place, I don't know how. her feet are also extremely loose, the joints I mean, so she can barely stand. here and there, there are paint flaws. these figures aren't simply worth the money we pay.

I guess the loose experience is definitely over
    Actually the capes the run through the bubble can usually be bent or folded to come out. I've popped the heads off to get them out through the back....Keldor, Netossa...etc, they all came out that way.

And yeah, I was disappointed once mine were opened to see just how many loose ankles, elbows...etc....I was really let down, and wished I never opened them. I had to fix Keldor's ankles just to get him to remotely stand, otherwise, foomp, right over backwards. Same with a few others....horrible knees and ankles.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by burgun824 View Post
    I fight with this one myself. I am curious to know if it's possible to get the Lions out without mangling the packaging.
    Yes with a razor knife there are several clear circle stickers you'll need to slice open the figures are rubber banded like crazy but come loose without damage to the card of packaging. Though it would be a pain in the rear to try and rubber band them back into position later.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossor View Post
    Though it would be a pain in the rear to try and rubber band them back into position later.
    I was affraid of that.
    Kittens are delicious!

Quote Originally Posted by Vikor View Post
    To all MOC collectors...

Don't ever invite me to your houses, because I'll just come in and open all your toys for you!!

Seriously. I couldn't keep a figure MOC if my life depended on it.

MOC stuff doesn't give me much pleasure. It's not much better than looking at a pic online. You don't get to see most of the figure, and you can't get the tactile sensation of the plastic, moving the joints, etc.

I can see an MOC collection of the vintage figures more easily, as it seems like you can get a better view of the figure with that more simplistic bubble/package design.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Totally agree with you lich leech. I could not have said it better my self and I am one of those collectors who plays with all of their stuff. The other day I won a lot of 5 Bucky O'hare figures on card. They were on card for about 3 days and then I sliced into them with a box cutter.
    Last edited by cobrakahn; March 15, 2013 at 04:04pm.

You're all butchers.
    Kittens are delicious!

I open all my figures,I just don't see the point of MOC. Are you (MOC collectors) collecting action figures or plastic boxes? If you never intend to open up the box wouldn't it be cheaper for Matty to sell the box with a high resolution picture of the figure instead of the plastic one? It would only cost you a few bucks and look exactly like the real figure. Since you never intend to open the box, you wouldn't know the difference.

Edit: I will also say that while I do open all my figures,I keep the boxes/packaging for trades.
    Last edited by bodine1231; March 15, 2013 at 06:00pm.

Widget

Want to open my He-Man figures!!

I only have three in my beginning collection. He-Man, Skeletor and Castlegrayskul Man.

It's killing me not to open them. I don't buy them as investments but I do like the idea of near mint and unopened when I hand them down to my son.

I have dozens of Transformers from my childhood that I played with and are loose. And, honestly, they don't carry that same nostalgia as my new unopened He-Man figures. So I'm afraid the same thing might happen to them in a few years if I open them.

What should I do?

i guess that depends on what you plan on doing with them once they're opened.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Don't open them. If it's something you're worried about regretting...then don't. OR just open He-man.....he's easy to get another of. Or buy a loose one. You can't put them back MOC once they're opened so if you have any doubts, then don't do it. I'm an opener when it comes to these and I have a loose vintage collection for my son. But all my other action figures are MOC but I never had a desire to open them.

Open, seseme!!!
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

Quote Originally Posted by cbmeeks View Post
    I only have three in my beginning collection. He-Man, Skeletor and Castlegrayskul Man.

It's killing me not to open them. I don't buy them as investments but I do like the idea of near mint and unopened when I hand them down to my son.

I have dozens of Transformers from my childhood that I played with and are loose. And, honestly, they don't carry that same nostalgia as my new unopened He-Man figures. So I'm afraid the same thing might happen to them in a few years if I open them.

What should I do?
    What did you buy them for? To pose? To put in Grayskull? Or to sit in their packaging? Up to you.

I am not going to tell you to open. But I can tell you that when you open them you have a lot of freedom to change weapons, pose them as you like, change heads, you can do a mix an match....In my opinion you can enjoy the figures better. That doesn't mean that you are going to play with them (some people do that and it is fine). What I mean is that you can appreciate the details a lot more. Right now I have 4 figures sealed just because I don't have space in the shelves, and it is really killing me not to open them.

If you are indeed seriously conflicted I would advise not to open them - simply because there is no reversal of the situation. You may find yourself several months down the road seriously regretting your decision. I agree with He-Dad... Just open He-Man and give it a little time... See how you feel and then assess the other figures. Either way let us know what you do!

Did you buy an action figure or a plastic box? Having a figure sealed in a box is no different than printing a picture of the figure and staring at it. Open them and smile.

Mmmmmmm.....If you're looking for an experimental opener I'd go with Grayskullman. Not as important to have on a card.
    Kittens are delicious!

Come from the land of the ice and snow...
    Enjoy the ride... save up a bunch of them then have an opening spree!

Free your toys!

I say, do it slowly, so you can really enjoy each figure rather than if you open them all at once.

Of course, the choice is yours! Have fun with them as you see fit!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Open them. Cornboy helps make these figures and he destroys the packaging to free the figures. As do I.

I keep them MOC. Then I've purchased doubles of the ones I like to open them up. Except with Star Wars, in which I have a mint on card and loose version of everything!