Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: To Open or Not to Open / MOC (mint on card) Versus Loose

I'm a MOC collector, first runs, no "The Original" on any of my figs. I just like them better in package and know that I won't decrease the value by opening them, to me or anybody else in the future.

I've also recently starting getting doubles of some figs to open during the Mad Matty/BF sales. I'd like to get the core heroes and villians as doubles, so here's to hoping that they rerelease Teela, Evil-Lyn, Beastman, Mekanek, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by maa5 View Post
    I'm a MOC collector, first runs, no "The Original" on any of my figs. I just like them better in package and know that I won't decrease the value by opening them, to me or anybody else in the future.

I've also recently starting getting doubles of some figs to open during the Mad Matty/BF sales. I'd like to get the core heroes and villians as doubles, so here's to hoping that they rerelease Teela, Evil-Lyn, Beastman, Mekanek, etc.)
    Whoa!
    Were we separated at birth?!?
    Thats my exact collecting pattern for this line.

The only thing making me open and close my white
    Mailers is the dreaded white fuzz on some figures.
    My 1st edition He-Man gets it from time to time.
    A quick blast in the dryer and hes mint.
    Fantastical!

Please open and display. I need my MOC ones to go up in value 15 years from now. I have twins to send to college. So please open open open!!!!!
    "Problems Weaver?"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Podcaster
    I collect MOC because I like them that way. I have no illusions about their 'worth' and could not care less. Having MOC figures helps me turn my hobby room into a vintage toystore (I also collect vintage MOC) and I really enjoy my collection that way.

If you choose to open your MOTUC, then more power to you! Both are fine choices and I would never talk down to a loose collector just because he/she enjoys this hobby a bit differently than I do.

Though, I do find some loose collector's attitude a bit arrogant when MOC collectors are described as "just collecting packages" and "why don't we just buy pictures"? It feels ridiculous to even respond to that. How about we each enjoy collecting MOTUC however we choose and not insult others who do it differently? That just shows self-doubt and insecurity about your own decisions.

Anyway, collect MOTUC however you want!
    Last edited by SunDevil; May 18, 2013 at 03:26pm.
    THE VINTAGE-TO-CLASSICS COUNTDOWN IS COMPLETE!!!

I'm a loose an MOC collector. For the past couple years I've bought doubles of every figure, one to display and the other to keep on the card, cause they look great both ways. But that can get...expensive and shelf space is scarce. From this year till the end of the line, I only collect MOC and if I want one to display, I'll pick up an extra on sale day. Don't know how well that's gonna go next year if they get rid of DOS...
    [CENTER]MOTUC WISH LIST
    *Two-Badd*~*Snake Armor He-Man*~*Tung Lashor*~200x Sorceresss~Calix ~*Mantenna*~*NA Skeletor*~*200x King Hisss*~*Ninjor* ~Evilseed

When I purchase on ebay, I prefer purchasing loose - not just because they're a bit cheaper, but also because you get a better look at the figure and you can see if there's anything wrong with it (frequently the case with classics, unfortunately)

If it was a choice between MOC and loose at the same price, and the loose figure seemed to be in good condition, I'd go with the loose figure.

Heroic Warrior

To Open or Not To Open

Over the last couple of weeks I have been looking at my MOC MOTUC collection and have been fighting the urge to have a mass opening. I used to have a loose collection which I sold off for a number of reasons, but now I kind of miss posing the figures.

I know each to his/her own, but maybe I am looking for an excuse to open them?

I can't enjoy them in plastic, but that's me. I enjoy having my xmen in their 90s configurations, having my Ronan figure staring over at Hawkeye on the avengers shelf. I have a huge across my collection room battle with my GI Joe's and cobra, needles to say, cobra is losing. But again, this is my idea of collecting.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Just open one each week, make it last.
    When I got the 5 pack of commemorative figures, I opened one figure every week, and I really enjoyed spreading them out.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    I can't enjoy them in plastic, but that's me. I enjoy having my xmen in their 90s configurations, having my Ronan figure staring over at Hawkeye on the avengers shelf. I have a huge across my collection room battle with my GI Joe's and cobra, needles to say, cobra is losing. But again, this is my idea of collecting.

Just open one each week, make it last.
    When I got the 5 pack of commemorative figures, I opened one figure every week, and I really enjoyed spreading them out.
    This is the part that I miss, setting up epic battles.

Respect for the restraint. I see me starting clamly with one or two and then end up in a pile of empty packaging with a crazed look in my eyes.

Heroic Warrior
    Open them!

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    There have been many threads like this one in the past, and I have always recommended buying two of each! Of course, as this line has grown (larger than we ever thought possible) it has also become ridiculously expensive to do so.

I used to get three of every figure, now I'm down to two, and next year I will only buy doubles of absolute must-have's or necessary-for-display figures.

I love my MOC collection, I really do. But, as others have posted, there is nothing like opening a MOTU figure! Playing around with the figures is half the fun... so you have to ask yourself, are you buying these for a future investment (or possibly to bequeath to your children), or are you buying them to actually ENJOY all that they have to offer (which can only be properly achieved by opening them)?
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I don't see the point keeping them wrapped up in packaing. Might as well save the money and just look at pictures of them online. Opened you can enjoy all of the sculpt, front and back. utilise the articulation, otherwise why buy a figure at all. Collect statues.
    You can pose them interacting with other characters and holding different weapons. Set up displays in Grayskull or Point Dread. Just so many more ways to enjoy them open rather than sat in a box.

Heroic Warrior
    Open. I don't think the MOTUC packaging is all that great and the figures look better out of it. Now with dcuc their packaging especially the first 11 waves look great. And marvel legends let you do both with it collector friendly packaging. But overall I say loose

please release accurate Filmation of-- tri klops, merman, fisto, roboto, kobra khan, hordak, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, teela, spikor, buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, tung lashor, mekaneck, man at arms, sorceress, jitsu, ram man, man e faces, frosta, bow and perfuma.

I try to do a little of both within reason, money wise. I get doubles of my favorites one to open one to keep carded. not so favorite ones stay carded, eventually plan to get every figure carded key word eventually.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Is-rael View Post
    Please open and display. I need my MOC ones to go up in value 15 years from now. I have twins to send to college. So please open open open!!!!!
    Haha. I am defiantly leaning that way. Another incentive is that I am moving to a different country and after doing a test run I have 12 large boxes filled with figures (including my vintage collection) which is almost as many boxes as personal items and other things (excluding furniture).

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    From day one I bought 2 of everything. I have a full moc collection and a loose collection. I used to display both in my basement but it was over taking my whole basement so now I store my moc figs and only display my loose ones.

Widget
    I used to follow a simple rule: if it looks good in package and it's a figure I know I'm going to keep, I leave it MOC. Lately, I've had to stop doing that because I've run out of shelf space and wall space for MOC figures. (Loose figures take up less storage, even when they're on display.) If I receive a new figure that I want to leave MOC now, I have to choose which MOC figure I want to open to make room for the new one. (I don't have the room for and don't see the point in storing MOC figures out of sight.)
    At the moment, about 1/3 of my collection is still MOC, but as I continue to receive new figures (I have a Collector's Choice subscription ordered) that fraction will get smaller.
    There are a handful of figures that I purchased 2 of so that I could leave one MOC, but I don't do that often--it can get expensive. Some figures simply have to be opened. I had to open Dragon Blaster Skeletor because his chest-plate fell to his feet in the package and also because he came with a minicomic (if I remember correctly). The Laser-Light 2-pack had to be opened because they come with the batteries already installed. (Batteries tend to leak when left in figures for long periods of time.) Some figures (mostly the earlier ones) are packaged in such a way that the logo insert covers the tops of their heads. When I first started collecting, I opened the first MOTUC figure I bought because of that: Scareglow. Of course, when I check the prices of a MOC Scareglow online these days, I feel like kicking myself for not purchasing 2 when I had the chance. I don't think a MOC Scareglow went for more than 35 or 40 dollars back then. (It was late 2011 or early 2012, I believe.) A MOC Scareglow goes for more than 100 dollars on Amazon.com now. It shouldn't bother me much, though--I don't really collect as an investment or to make money. Any figures I get rid of will probably go to my nieces and nephew.

image.jpeg

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by the seekers View Post
    image.jpeg

like!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Canada-Man View Post
    From day one I bought 2 of everything. I have a full moc collection and a loose collection. I used to display both in my basement but it was over taking my whole basement so now I store my moc figs and only display my loose ones.
    I came in way too late to do that. Only started in 2013 and its hard enough to find one of each at reasonable prices.

Heroic Warrior
    Its like people who say "why dont you just buy a repro poster its just a picture"......if you can afford an original then why not buy it ?

Who says one cant enjoy an un- opened collection , perhaps this makes me more of an art collector than a toy collector ......oh well , so be it (it does take up space but thats why you rotate now and then)
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

When I first started I left them MOC but then I realized I was missing out on so many fun ways to display them. What's the point of all that articulation if they're just going to sit on the card?
    I like mixing them up. I have very limited space in which to display them and I frequently rotate what figs I have on display and in what poses I have them in.
    I've really just enjoyed them so much more since I started opening them.