Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: To Open or Not to Open / MOC (mint on card) Versus Loose

Skeletor, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    The whole pleasure is about having the figure in your hands, to expose it in different poses, to have fun and to take awesome pictures of it !

So open it, man ! Except if you want your house to look like a store with figures on their pegs, that is.
    Whoa whoa whoa...what are we talking about here!??!?! Just kidding. Here's a quetion for all the MOC collectors here. I've got 2 Mer-Mans. One has a normal Trident with a decent card and the other has an ugly Trident with a better card. I'm leaning towards keeping the normal looking Trident MOC and opening the one with the better card just because that freaking bent Trident looks horrible in the package. What would you guys suggest?

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisle View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa...what are we talking about here!??!?! Just kidding. Here's a quetion for all the MOC collectors here. I've got 2 Mer-Mans. One has a normal Trident with a decent card and the other has an ugly Trident with a better card. I'm leaning towards keeping the normal looking Trident MOC and opening the one with the better card just because that freaking bent Trident looks horrible in the package. What would you guys suggest?
    I kinda had this same issue. 1 of mine has small speckles of green paint on the sword and gloves, but was in a slightly better package.-I opened him anyways, for me the figure being Mint is number 1 priority.

In your case it really depends on how bad the trident is and what the card shape is like.

I know it doesnt help huh
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Grisle View Post
    What would you guys suggest?
    I would open the one with the ugly looking trident.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'd also be an opener on these (if I had them).
    If you don't mind me asking, how come you don't have any?

Heroic Warrior
    For real, JVS3. What gives?

I think JVS3 has a warehouse full of MOTUC. This is just a ploy. He wants everyone to open theirs up so his are worth a gajillion dollars in the year 2030.

Darth Bong
    Last edited by Darth Bong; May 4, 2009 at 01:54am.

The guy knows what his priorities are and he makes sacrifices: mostly for us. He's a really good guy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bong View Post
    For real, JVS3. What gives?

Darth Bong

open! they look friggin' awesome on my shelf. course they look good carded too but they aren't as much fun that way...imo.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm a MOC collector because i like them to remain perfect.

Even as a kid, i kept my toys in good shape. I liked them to look good.

I can remember staring at the toys on the shelf as a little boy and thinking how great they looked. Perfect.

That's what got me into collecting. I never lost that.

Still to this day, i look at the figures and am in awe at how good they look. Since i'm now 30, and don't play with toys anymore, i keep them in the box. Perfect.

If you keep them sealed, you also never lose parts, or risk losing the card and bubble, or the stickers or mini-comics.

Darth Bong

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemotoggy View Post
    Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem I do when it comes to MOTU figures. I don't know if I should open them or not. The collector in me tells me to never open a figure and keep the packaging in mint condition.
    The collectors also open the packages, like I do with mine.

I only get one of each as I personally feel that buying more then one is a little bit excessive and I want as many people out there to have and and enjoy these figures as possible (shame on you army builder guys).

I like to keep them in their original state (moc) and hang them up on my wall so every time I walk into my room its a bit like being a kid walking into a toy store and admiring all these cool toys in their packaging.

besides, the packaging is practically half the toy!!!

I find that you appreciate things just a little bit more when they are out of reach and keeping them in the packet is the closest thing to having a brand new toy every day. This is a vast contrast to my original MOTU's who were torn straight out and abused on frequent occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how come you don't have any?
    he sends the ones Mattel sends to him to Pixel dan so we can have to ultra cool reviews!! Thanks Val and Dan!!!!

I got one of each, well i get every figure MOC for my wall and only the ones i want loose for my display, so it works itself out usually

Open them!!!!! Lets play us some action toy figures!!

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    he sends the ones Mattel sends to him to Pixel dan so we can have to ultra cool reviews!! Thanks Val and Dan!!!!

I got one of each, well i get every figure MOC for my wall and only the ones i want loose for my display, so it works itself out usually
    wow, I would hate to think he doesn't have any. I hope he does
    Last edited by ThunderPuncher; May 13, 2009 at 09:06pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

OPEN. There is no other way. Unless you want to rent storage space for your collection.

In the words of 4H's Cornboy: "Take it out and play with it".

I couldn't agree more.

FISTO'S BACK, BABY!

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar

MOC Vs. Loose collecting...

Just curious how many of you MOTUC fans are Mint On Card collectors versus Loose collectors. I personally purchase AT LEAST 2 of each figure, one for MOC display, and one for loose display.

I'm torn, but I guess if I had to choose I would consider myself more of a MOC collector. I mean, I love to tear these packages open and actually get my hands on the figure, but I feel that the packaging adds a certain element to these figures than just displaying them loose. (which I do anyway) The Grayskull brick and name of the character just pop out at you.

So I guess this thread is about which way you collect, and why. Are you MOC? Are you loose? Are you both?

I'm both! I was going to just buy one figure to open and display loose, but after I took He-Man and Beast Man out of their package, I just had to have them in the package as well. Lucky for me they didn't sell out as fast as the figures do now and I was able to order another set. Now I buy 2 of each figure and display both! Usually the loose figure standing right in front of the carded one. If I ever get my "display room" cleaned up, I may try to hang the carded ones so I have more room on the shelves to display the loose ones!
    Mattel... Please bring back 200x styled stactions!!

I'm a loose collector. When a figure gets released I buy 1 and open it up when I get it.
    "The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real."
    -Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I will NEVER buy a subscription!

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Definitely loose with MOTUC. If the packaging were more vintage, then I'd keep MOC perhaps. I have my revision 25th Anniversary Joes MOC--at least the classic ones--as well as loose.

I am a loose collector. Mind you, I haven't released Faker from his plastic prison yet

I personally think the packaging is a little bit too fragile to be a MOC collector

I want to buy two so I can open one and keep one MOC but I can only afford one for the forseeable future so I keep each one MOC. My plan was to buy loose ones later but I'm not sure that's economical because even the loose one's are going for more that the Matty online price for a MOC one. I struggle with weather I should just open the ones I have because I know that when it comes time to buy loose doubles they'll be around $30 anyway.

So...I collect MOC but only because I can't afford two.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

I mainly buy one to keep MOC, but sometimes I buy two to open the other one. I would like to be both loose and MOC collector, but my my money won't allow it.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images

Open them - NOW!

Definitely not open they are much beautiful MOC!! But i need 2 figures for characters so i risolved the problem!

They are toys. Toys are meant to be played with...and though granted these particular toys are targeted mainly towards adults, they are still toys nonetheless. Being as how most adults (I hope) don't play with their toys, that leaves us with the option of posing them on a shelf like a statue, except one you can change how it looks if you get sick of a pose. I understand why some don't want to open them since they look nice and neat, but that's just too boring for my taste. Have some fun with them, that's what they are there for.

I have historically been a "Loose Collector." However, with MOTUC I am a "1 Loose/1 MOC Combo Collector."

The reality is, my MOC collection is just a backup of my loose collection, should anything ever happen to them (damage, loss, theft, etc.).