Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gwildor's Fuzzy Bio View (potential SPOILERS)

Gwildor's Fuzzy Bio View (potential SPOILERS)

If this needs to be moved somewhere else, that's fine.

I know a lot of us were frustrated with the blurry flash of Gwildor's bio in Scott's recent video. As a result, I weeded through a few freeze-frames, and with the help of some Facebook friends, was able to come up with almost the entire bio. There are still a few words missing, and some of this might not be 100% correct, if anyone has any input!

GWILDOR

A ____ ____ Troll from Tundaria, Gwildor stood out amongst his clan for his great intellect and curiosity. ____ best to study in Eternos and attend Grimhammer University, and studied under many great Eternian inventors, archaeologists, and magicians. Settling in a small village near ____, Gwildor lead a solitary life until he created his greatest invention, the Cosmic Key...a device that could harness Universal Energy to open portals in space. Combined with the magic of the Central Tower, the Key could also be used to move through time itself. Hunted for his invention, Gwildor was forced to activate the Cosmic Key to escape to Earth! Eventually faking his own death, he traveled forward in time to a time when Temporal Travel was protected by powerful agents and his life would no longer be in constant danger.
    Last edited by Kreann'ot; September 25, 2014 at 01:41pm.
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    So killing Zodac, Stratos, Man-at-arms, Mer-Man etc. is fine but they concoct a fake death so Gwildor lives. Score another one for the arrogant way to shoehorn the purple turd in as well.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

If Gwildor needs the Central Tower with his Cosmic Key to travel through time, how was he able to go to the future from his hidey hole on Earth?
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I guess there was never a reference to him being a Thenurian on the original packaging, so they can't use it here. Fairly pathetic bio; he's basically just on the run until he escapes into the future. Not much good story fodder there.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Powerful time agents...I can see this leading to a spinoff like that god awful Agents of Sheild.I pray this isn't the case because this would definitely kill the line.

I kind of feel that the whole bio is...blah. I guess he had no real role in the original mythos, except for his sudden appearance in the movie, so I can understand them focusing on the time travel to give him a bigger role in the future. I'm just not sure I LIKE it. I get it...but do I want it? I don't know.

Also, I'm irritated he went to Grimhammer University. Isn't that WoW-related? Couldn't they have used a variation of the City of Wisdom from Filmation? The giant university city that Teela and Mallek went to? Even if they had to change the name to Wisdom City or Wisdom University, or SOMETHING? Why pull names from entirely different franchises? Ugh.
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreann'ot View Post
    Also, I'm irritated he went to Grimhammer University. Isn't that WoW-related? Couldn't they have used a variation of the City of Wisdom from Filmation? The giant university city that Teela and Mallek went to? Even if they had to change the name to Wisdom City or Wisdom University, or SOMETHING? Why pull names from entirely different franchises? Ugh.
    Since they have the Filmation rights and can make all the artifacts, I can't see any reason they couldn't simply have used the City of Wisdom.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Since they have the Filmation rights and can make all the artifacts, I can't see any reason they couldn't simply have used the City of Wisdom.
    Because the bios were written 7,000 years ago, in the ancient days before Filmation rights had been acquired. As such, they had to be chiseled in stone and can, therefore, not be altered.

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

Lots of grief here about "shoehorning" Spector in, but... I mean, there are two time travelling characters in the line. It's not terribly suspicious that there would be some crossover in their story. I don't feel this is shoehorned anymore than Mer-Man being mentioned in Mermista's bio or Granamyr being mentioned in Draego-Man's bio.

Now if Spector was mentioned in the bios for Queen Angella, Lizard Man and Ninjor... well... sure. That's a stretch.
    Last edited by whbinder; September 25, 2014 at 02:54pm. Reason: spelling

So, let me get this straight...

...A character in MOTUC canon survives and does not die, and people are angry?

...A time-traveling character meets another time-traveler, and people are angry?

I think the Spector connection makes perfect sense, and I thought it was already known that it was coming. I think any complaints about it are just people who straight up hate Spector, and anything involved with him. There's probably no way to make them like this.

I'm a little disappointed in the running away through time thing because I had hopes that his bio might reveal a little bit about what happened on Eternia after He-Man left. I suppose that was setting my sights too high.

I don't care at all about Gwildor NOT being dead. I think it's great! I think people might be expressing their dissatisfaction that other, more popular characters have been killed off, while Gwildor's death was a ruse. I say the LESS dead characters, the better.

I'm still not happy about the University thing, though!

One thing I AM happy about, is that it seems I can place him on my Futurnia/SOH shelf, rather than my regular Masters era shelf. I really wasn't sure how I felt about placing him with Ram Man and Mekaneck, lol.
    Last edited by Kreann'ot; September 25, 2014 at 04:02pm.

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by whbinder View Post
    Lots of grief here about "shoehorning" Spector in, but... I mean, there are two time travelling characters in the line. It's not terribly suspicious that there would be some crossover in their story. I don't feel this is shoehorned anymore than Mer-Man being mentioned in Mermista's bio or Granamyr being mentioned in Draego-Man's bio.

Now if Spector was mentioned in the bios for Queen Angella, Lizard Man and Ninjor... well... sure. That's a stretch.
    I wouldn't mind the Spector thing if the other 30th Anniversary characters had been given even a third of the press/inclusion that Spector has.

Enough already.
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

One word for this bio: yawn.
    Who's Who of the Masters of the Universe: my on-going project of MOTU character information, including bios, powers, weaknesses, weapons, stats and trivia.

Ugh. Another poorly written and worthless bio.

Couldn't Mattel at least gave us some more info on his mission on Earth. We already know that the movie events happened in the MOTUC canon. Why not explain how Skeletor stole the key or how Evil-Lyn retrieved it? A really big missed opportunity IMO.

Well we haven't seen those bios yet so there is still a chance.

For all we know Micha could actually be Spector when he traveled back in time and met Angela. Or maybe he and Ninjor once were a tag team in the Intergalactic Wrestling Federation....eh....I mean Entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    One word for this bio: yawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post

Couldn't Mattel at least gave us some more info on his mission on Earth. We already know that the movie events happened in the MOTUC canon. Why not explain how Skeletor stole the key or how Evil-Lyn retrieved it? A really big missed opportunity IMO.
    I think this is my problem with the bios, lately. We have a story being told, a universe being expanded upon...yet, it isn't. We have one year left of Classics, and a WHOLE LOT of story left in the dark. Every time a new bio comes out, I hope it is going to further the story or fill out some gaps. Every time, I'm disappointed.

This bio: Basically, he was a genius (well, of course), went to some university we've never heard of (who cares?), became a hermit (again, obvious), created the Cosmic Key and was hunted for it...escaped to Earth (good and good!), then faked his death and fled to the future (good, but where's the story?).

I realize these bios are short and it is difficult to pack too much into them, but when this is your main method of telling a story, PLEASE utilize your word count better. I want meat. Not ruffage.

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreann'ot View Post
    Because the bios were written 7,000 years ago, in the ancient days before Filmation rights had been acquired. As such, they had to be chiseled in stone and can, therefore, not be altered.
    BWAHAHAHA! Spot on!
    ***Previously abaddon_31 on the Matty Collector Message Boards***
    MASS REJECTION ~ FRESH MEAT is coming www.facebook.com/massrejection

Unsure if people here understand how time works.

Just because he goes forward in time doesn't mean "Gwildor lives" it just means he lives out the rest of his days in the future... everybody dies in the end. Man-At-Arms, Spector, He-man, Gwildor, Mermista... everybody.

As soon as you make a storyline have time progression and a linier narrative which includes births then you get deaths.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Unsure if people here understand how time works.

Just because he goes forward in time doesn't mean "Gwildor lives" it just means he lives out the rest of his days in the future... everybody dies in the end. Man-At-Arms, Spector, He-man, Gwildor, Mermista... everybody.

As soon as you make a storyline have time progression and a linier narrative which includes births then you get deaths.
    I think the point is that Scott had previously been asked about Gwildor's role or presence in some point in the story, and he said that Gwildor was dead at that point, as a result of people wanting his technology. (I believe this was in one of Dan's videos.)

Now, it is revealed that the death was faked, and he traveled to the future instead. That is what people are talking about. Of course he dies eventually. All of them do, but that's not what was being discussed. I, for one, am glad it was a faked death. But, that's just me.

DRAGSTOR IS COMING SOON!

I'm shocked there was no mention of Kevin, Julie, or Robby's Ribs in the bio.

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    If Gwildor needs the Central Tower with his Cosmic Key to travel through time, how was he able to go to the future from his hidey hole on Earth?
    Keep reading the bios!

Seriously, I think when this is all over, there will be more "Huh?" responses than "Oh, yeah, now it all makes sense!" comments.
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I wouldn't mind the Spector thing if the other 30th Anniversary characters had been given even a third of the press/inclusion that Spector has.

Enough already.
    I think part of it is that his time travel schtick makes connecting the bios so much easier, so they rely on it frequently. They use him to connect the Powers of Grayskull, NA, Gwildor, SOH, etc.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    I'll be waiting on the unmighty spector death. That would be one more time they could include him in a bio where I would not complain.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post

Enough already.
    Exactly this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    I think part of it is that his time travel schtick makes connecting the bios so much easier, so they rely on it frequently. They use him to connect the Powers of Grayskull, NA, Gwildor, SOH, etc.
    I think the reason Neitlich made him a traveler is exactly for this reason...so he could put him anywhere and everywhere. It's by design. Now his ego can shine in every era of He-Man, whether that's Powers of Grayskull, Masters of the Universe, New Adventures of He-Man, or...hell, stuff he makes up right on the spot.

if this is even close, I love it. It allows for the events of the film, but also "saves" him to use in a potential Son of He Man story/line. I would love to see him as a main character in a He Ro II continuity.

Of course I am all for the true future of this line, which is to have a future become the "common era" in which stories take place. So salvaging as many obscure or relatively unused characters (like how Goat Man is in the "Future" assumedly Son of era now) gets a big thumbs up from me.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post

I think that was kind of the point. We already know the movie happened. Having the whole show wrapped up in one paragraph would have been beyond boring for me. I don't want to hear what I already know... I want to know NEW stuff...

This doesn't make this bio any better... but the escaping to the future was something new that I hadn't already expected. That's kinda cool.

I think this is one of the situation where there is no right answer. New info doesn't tell us about the movie, movie is rehashed plot we already know... either way someone was gonna complain.

- - - Updated - - -

yep, I agree here. We already knew he was connected to Gwildor somehow... there's nothing there that I didn't expect. Besides, Spector isn't actually mentioned is he? Just the Time Agents. Honestly, I've always been a big fan of TimeCop type tropes. Keep Spector as a namelss background character, but I love the concept.