Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If YOU were the Brand Manager of MOTU Classics,what would you plan next for the line?

If YOU were the Brand Manager of MOTU Classics,what would you plan next for the line?

Just use your imagination like I am.

Keep it clean! This isn't about taking shots at past or current management.

( NOTE ) This is just a dream , not reality - Toy Guru retires from Mattel tomorrow is is is replaced by Christop ( myself ) as the NEW Marketing Manager of MOTU Classics.

If I was in charge of this line , what would I do for 2015 and beyond . Who or what figures will be made ? Here are some things I would do, in no particular order, if I was in charge of MOTU Classics .......

Under me you all will finally get - (1) A Royal Palace Playset

(2) Snake Mountain - Combination of vintage toy and Filmation Style

(3) Veena

(4) Lord Masque

( 5 ) Fright Zone - Combination of vintage toy and Filmation Style

(6) Dare - Son of He-Man

(7) ALL of the remaining New Adventure of He-Man vintage figures

(8) Filmation version of the Attack Trak

( 9 ) The Collector

( 10 ) A Twiggett 3 pack

(11) A Widget 3 pack

(12) Lady Slither and the whole Revenge Squad . Along with ALL of the CREATE A CHARACTER characters featured in the mini comic that came with The Unnamed One .

( 13 ) BOTH versions of Evil Seed

( 14) Melatha

( 15) Lodar

(16 ) Garn - will come with two heads. A Filmation head and his mini comic head .

(17) Filmation Head Packs - Set One includes - He-Man, Teela, Man-At-Arms , Skeletor,
    Set Two includes - Trap-Jaw, Tri-Klops, Beast-Man, Mer-Man
    Set Three includes- Hordak, Evil-Lyn, Claw-Ful, Tung Lashor

( 18 ) Release the remaining vintage figures .Including all of the Meteorbs. I'm sure everyone would do this as this.

( 19 ) Monstroid

( 20 ) Granita

( 21) I will see if I could get a few big name stores to carry MOTU Classics such as Walmart and Target . May have to start some type of Kick Starter project to make it work .

( 22 ) Campaign for a NEW MOTU cartoon to be made based on MOTU Classics. See MOTUC characters that never existed before in cartoon form such as Castle Grayskullman and Cy-Chop .

I'm sure there is more I would do but this is all I can come up with for now.

So what would you do if YOU were in CHARGE of Masters of the Universe Classics ?
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mastersofeternia - MASTERS OF ETERNIA

HE-MAN CHARACTER PROFILE CLUB at-http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HemanCharacterProfileClub

what would you plan next for the line?

Spector's death.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Spector's death.
    LOL I kind of feel this way about Mermista and Clamp Champ after reading the bios of Snake Man-At-Arms and Mermista herself .
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mastersofeternia - MASTERS OF ETERNIA

HE-MAN CHARACTER PROFILE CLUB at-http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HemanCharacterProfileClub

Snake Mountain for sure!

Number 22 for sure!

Have Orko wake up and realize the Mighty Spector, Dare, Skeleteen, Son of He-Man, the death of all his friends, his involvement in mass genocide, and Gorpo as the Unnamed One were just part of a really bad nightmare brought on by some spoiled roast gooble.

Then remove all of it from the cannon.

Heroic Podcaster
    Being Brand Manager doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want. If you went to Mattel's corporate leadership with the list in the OP, you'd leave with a pink slip and get none of that.
    QUEEN ANGELLA! BLAST ATTAK! Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma
    Rotar Saurod SPINNERELLA! SSSQUEEZE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Being Brand Manager doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want. If you went to Mattel's corporate leadership with the list in the OP, you'd leave with a pink slip and get none of that.
    Uh huh...tell this to Neitlich.

I would get a six figure and one exclusive figure sub for 2016 under the "He Man and The Masters of The Universe Filmation" line ready to pre sell, using Filmation colored cards and art graphics for the packaging. Aannouncing the first half and sub figure on a pre-order basis to hit a target and new pricing of $30 each. The extra $3 would cover the one bonus Filmation head hidden in each figure and to ensure that the figures did not lose any paint hits and ensure there was enough for new tooling for some of the line - figure parts and weapons.

1. Filmation He-Man (2.0) with Filmation Tri Clops head

2. Filmation Evil Lyn with second helmetless head

3. Filmation Teela (2.0) with New Palace Guard head (face with a beard)

4. Twiggets 3 Pack with Filmation Hordak Head

5. Dylamug with Spikor Head

6. Filmation Skeletor (2.0) with Kobra Khan head

Sub Exclusive Filmation Clawful with Mer Man head

Second create a POP 2 pack for SDCC 2016 - Catra (scratch/sound Catra with Filmation Cat Form Vs Starburst She Ra with Sheild)
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

I would keep plugging along with Classics, with a focus on remaining Filmation, 200x, NA, and other media figures (no Son of He-Man, 2.0, or DC) I would go down to a six figure sub with quarterly items, a SDCC item, and perhaps keep the holiday, traveling con, and chase slots.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    Have Orko wake up and realize the Mighty Spector, Dare, Skeleteen, Son of He-Man, the death of all his friends, his involvement in mass genocide, and Gorpo as the Unnamed One were just part of a really bad nightmare brought on by some spoiled roast gooble.

Must be a might big cannon, how do they even fire it....
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

I've actually elaborated and commented on something like this. So I will summarize here.

in 2016 we'd have something you can call "Legends of Eternia"

Ultimately what I would be interested in doing is have a Son of He-Man line in MOTUC style adding things like He-Ro II (why not both versions?) Skeleteen, Queen/Sorceress Teela, ect. Also characters from the new minicomics introduced as post "common era" like Lady Slither or Robowoman, ect.

Then addtionally (or under the banner of Legends) do a Powers of Grayskull or otherwise named Preternian line. Characters from the new minicomic and unproduced previous canonical stories (the way they did Oo Lar or Demo Man) from the history of Eternia previous to the "current era".

Finally the "filler" would be as yet unproduced characters that would have been MOTUC released, like remaining NA and Filmation characters, but really anyone, that you did not stick in either two versions of the line.

So do 3 lines, as in Son of He Man, Power of Grayskull/Preternia, & Legends of Eternia. Or just do them all as Legends of Eternia.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post

So you wouldn't add anything to the line, you would just take things away, presumably taking them away from anybody who enjoys them, as well?

Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Spector's death.
    You stole my idea. We need to make a new spector sprite face with his tongue hanging out and X's over his eyes.
    SKELETOR'S JOURNEY: You heard of Skeletor, Skeleteen and now Skelebaby? The saga of Skeletor's chronology to be continued in 2014. Stay tuned!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I've actually elaborated and commented on something like this. So I will summarize here.

in 2016 we'd have something you can call "Legends of Eternia"

Ultimately what I would be interested in doing is have a Son of He-Man line in MOTUC style adding things like He-Ro II (why not both versions?) Skeleteen, Queen/Sorceress Teela, ect. Also characters from the new minicomics introduced as post "common era" like Lady Slither or Robowoman, ect.

Then addtionally (or under the banner of Legends) do a Powers of Grayskull or otherwise named Preternian line. Characters from the new minicomic and unproduced previous canonical stories (the way they did Oo Lar or Demo Man) from the history of Eternia previous to the "current era".

Finally the "filler" would be as yet unproduced characters that would have been MOTUC released, like remaining NA and Filmation characters, but really anyone, that you did not stick in either two versions of the line.

So do 3 lines, as in Son of He Man, Power of Grayskull/Preternia, & Legends of Eternia. Or just do them all as Legends of Eternia.
    I would sub for this. I too would prefer a Son of He-man line and/or Power of Greayskull line. Combining the two into Legends is...well.....Legendary!

If I was the MOTU brand manager, I would do my best to work with the IP team to focus a lot of time and energy into the development of a new incarnation of MOTU aimed at a new generation of young fans.

Then, given the current (and continually rising) cost of collectibles, focus on a more concentrated set of items aimed at us adult collectors, with a few MOTUC here or there if sales/interest allowed.

The hypothetical hows, whys and whats, I'll keep to myself.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

I would find ways to promote the classics into a tv series or to the big screen. Also would definitely plan a pre-order system for snake mountain and other playsets. The pre-order window would stay open for months.

All of these idea's sound amazing, however I think I would keep it light to start out with, such as a quad-yearly diorama that is collect and connect. First year obviously would be Snake Mountain, first part is the snake head top that can have at least one figure stand inside the snakes mouth, which leads to a set of a spiral staircase that goes to the second quarters dio, skeletors thrown room with bone throne and crystal table and a jail cell or birdcage cell,.... then it has a bridge that leads outside and to the third quarter's dio, the outside with a moat, and beasties along the lava falls and some more snakes coming out of the mountain, and on the inside it's Triclop'w work shop, and that leads to a doorway that leads to the fourth quarters dio which is Evil-lynn's magic lair and beastman's lair and has the void which houses the entrance to the snake men's doorway on the other side of the mountain. Granted these four pieces would run 100-120 each and the mountain unfortunately couldn't be 100% to scale but close.
    Now having said that, there would be only twelve figures released that year and most of them would be 2.0 versions of figures we already have, with the occasional new character peppered in.
    If this worked, modular Crystal Castle would be, and then the Fright Zone, and finally Eternia if possible, but I'd hope that it would be a little filmation esq nad not any of those three towers deals... but maybe since it's already worked into the bios.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

eyecandy from outerspace JoeyCruel's Avatar
    If I was the brand manager I'd follow this path:
    1. Maximum transparency.
    2. An official poll to decide the figures of the year.
    3. No more DOS but a pre-order for every figure so the cherry pickers can have their figures and the subscribers can have their doubles.
    4. An official review of the test figure when it arrives from China, so the design team and the fans can finds mistakes and avoid crappy figures like Intergalactic Skeletor.
    5. Resealable packaging
    6. No more self indulgent/lame figures like Baby Skeletor, Cy-Chop, Sir-Laser-Lot and Mighty Spector.

In a word: cuddle the customers so they'll be your customers forever because the emotional blackmail doesn't work as we can see.
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    So you wouldn't add anything to the line, you would just take things away, presumably taking them away from anybody who enjoys them, as well?
    I never said I'd remove all new things. Draego-man, for example, is fine. I just said I'd remove those things.

As always, some good ideas mixed in with the usual Scott/Matty bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    If I was the MOTU brand manager, I would do my best to work with the IP team to focus a lot of time and energy into the development of a new incarnation of MOTU aimed at a new generation of young fans.
    Best idea I've read here so far .
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Heroic Warrior
    If I was in charge I would pursue rights for black star and bravestar not to mention warlord, golden girls, thunder cats, skeleton warriors, and the 'knock offs' then do a big mix of the main guys and girls from each of the lines, all headed under the banner of' He-ro the son of Skeletor.'(the gar warrior and true heir to the throne)

Mmmmh that would be fun ,....but for real I would do a super deluxe He-man and Skeletor with all the bells and whistles for a shot at selling at retail

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    I've got to say...if a person becomes the brand manager, then the fans will be subject to that brand manager's particular tastes. Some fans will post what THEY want to see, not what works for the largest amount of people.

For example, if I became brand manager, I couldn't return the brand to it's original barbaric, Pre-Filmation Era roots and get rid of Prince Adam, Orko or Cringer without angering the fans. Although I prefer Teela to be blonde, I'd have to recognize that the majority of the fans like her as a redhead and can't force those changes onto the brand with a permanent change (although I COULD introduce the idea that Teela occasionally changes her look and get the fans more accepting of it).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    I would find ways to promote the classics into a tv series or to the big screen.
    We definitely need more new media than comics or the IOS game -- like video games or a new cartoon on Nickelodeon or DisneyXD. If any of those elements are successful, I'm sure a movie will come. Classics is great, but we'll need new fans pumping energy into the line so that the "old stuff" continues.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Court Magician
    Buried where neither man nor demon would want to look
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    If I was the brand manager I'd follow this path:

1. Maximum transparency.
    You're now a brand manager for the 2nd largest toy company in the world. You do not get to make decisions about transparency. Those decisions are made by Mattel's general counsel.

An official poll to decide the figures of the year.
    Character choices must be planned so that tooling costs make financial sense for your new company. If the fans vote for more than two figures with 100% new tooling, your new bosses will cancel the line.

No more DOS but a pre-order for every figure so the cherry pickers can have their figures and the subscribers can have their doubles.
    You would need to provide financial projections to justify a change the existing sales model. How many more figures will be sold if you remove DOS? How many more will be sold if you offered individual pre-orders? And how many characters does your brand have left that will sell enough units via pre-order to justify their manufacture?

An official review of the test figure when it arrives from China, so the design team and the fans can finds mistakes and avoid crappy figures like Intergalactic Skeletor.
    The design team already reviews test samples from the factory. Fans are already shown test samples of unreleased product at cons.

Resealable packaging
    You will alienate MOC collectors who want all the packaging to look the same. Your decision will also drive up the cost of figures, which will alienate your customers who think the figures are already too expensive. Additionally, resealable packaging encourages collectors who buy one figure to open and one to keep MOC to instead buy just a single figure. Your decision would decrease sales volume, leading to even higher prices.

No more self indulgent/lame figures like Baby Skeletor, Cy-Chop, Sir-Laser-Lot and Mighty Spector.
    As with Mo-Larr, the cost of Baby Skeletor was subsidized by Cartoon Network's Robot Chicken, dramatically reducing the cost and risk to Mattel. It also created a collectible that has tripled in price on the secondary market. Cy-Chop, SLL, and TMS were all created as part of the anniversary mini-sub, partly as strategic partnerships and partly to answer the call from fans for new characters. Since the 2015 subscription barely succeeded, you don't have funds to do anything outside of the announced vintage updates and non-vintage A-list, to the point is moot.
    It's a big rock. I can't wait to tell my friends. They don't have a rock this big.