Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the size of the international problem......

the size of the international problem......

just from looking at some of the comments on threads about the ultimate figures, it seems that there a quite a few in my situation
    ie: the international shipping costs plus customs fees mean that the cost per figure is more than I can justify spending.

this has me worried that a significant percentage of international collectors are not buying which could threaten the future of the line!

to try and quantify the size of this issue (for our own peace of mind and also to highlight it) please post in this thread if you've wanted to
    buy the ultimates but couldn't due to costs.

this thread is purely to get some idea of the size of the issue and not to complain or rant so please be objective when posting.

location, order, and end cost per figure factoring fees would be ideal as the more info the more helpful.

i'll go first:

united kingdom ram man and teela with shipping and customs and handling fees = £64/ $79 per figure.
    Hoping for figures of: Major Header, Hans Hammerholder, Bubblor, Lady slither, Redeye, grr, Kayla, the female giant from the brazil motu comic and the myp giants.

mattel:"it's like Japanese imports, they cost what they cost, the shipping and fees are part of it"....customer:"yeah, that's why I don't buy them either"
    mattel:" why is there no support for this line?"

Heroic Warrior
    Not sure if this qualifies.

I was going to get a second set to keep MOC after seeing the packaging, but at $220.00 USD ($45 Shipping) + approx THB1500 ($40) customs, I could only just justify one bundle.

Approx $52 per figure

Thailand
    Last edited by WalkerBoh; November 29, 2016 at 10:48am.

I was interested in Teela, since she comes with a new blonde head, but to order just one Ultimate figure and have it posted to Australia...

Subtotal $ 35.00
    Shipping $ 32.00
    Total USD $ 67.00

No can do, at that price.

If this is what to expect from future subscription/preorder figures, then my collecting the line ends with Matty Collector's reign.
    My #1 most wanted figure in MotUC?
    - "Cloak & Dagger" Evil-Lyn (MYP) -

Court Magician
    I am in the same boat, buying all 5 will average me 60 euro per figure (with custom fees included), which is about 65 USD. So that would mount up to 325 USD. If I would buy less than it would be more expensive per figure ... I haven't pulled the trigger yet because of the price point ... A breakdown : 175 (figures) + 60 + (shipping) + 35 (administrative cost since they have to calculate import costs) + 50 (21% of the total cost) + 5 (some conversion costs). If they make snake mountain I will definatly buy it, but I don't think I should spend this kind of money on each figure anymore

I was aiming for Ram Man, Teela and Faker, shipping for 3 figures is $55 to CANADA, so figure comes out to $53 each (or close to $70 Canadian - which is too much money for one figure I think....this is assuming I don't get taxed)

I can't understand why shipping to Thailand for 5 figure is cheaper.

Just for fun, I tried putting stuff in their cart, and there were the amount I got:
    - 1 figure - $25 shipping
    - 2 figure - $48 shipping
    - 3-4 figures - $55 shipping
    - 5-24 figures - $80 shipping

5-figure bundle shipping:
    - 1 set bundle - $55 shipping
    - 2-7 set bundle - $80 shipping

So one thing I learn from this:
    - You get cheaper shipping with the 5 figure bundle than to get 5 separate figures
    - You can really save on shipping if you can share the order with 5 friends who might want to order a set. The maximum seem to be $80 for 7 set of the 5 figure bundle. That's 35 figures for $80 shipping.
    Last edited by erik352; November 29, 2016 at 11:18am.

I was going for He-Man and Teela, even if I already have everything, just because I wanted to support the pre-order business model, and for the new packaging, but between the crazy shipping cost to Italy and having to pay now, between black friday and Christmas, I simply couldn't afford it.
    GozzoMan, Heroic Cherry Picker

Heroic Warrior
    Im in the same boat. Works to around 45 euro per figure not including customs. You could argue that Japanese imports are much more expensive, but when you're talking anout reissues of ten-year old figures with outdated engineering and technology, eh ... kind of makes it hard to swallow. By comparison, with Matty and dr around 2013-15, each figure would cost me around 26-7 euro.

I don't own Faker and my brother always mentions him and the fact he's missing from our collection. So he was interested in Faker while I was on the fence about Teela.

Shipping for one figure was $32 which I'd never pay unless it was for a really rare or one off release item. The problem is shipping cost for single figures as DR charged us $15.39 vs Super7 with $32. That's over double the amount.

Super7 shipping for 4-5 figures at around $56, works out cheaper than DR's monthly shipping at $15.39 per figure. So at least when the new stuff starts in waves of 4 figures, total figure cost shouldn't be too much higher than Matty thanks to the figures only being sent out in combined shipments versus monthly.

I'm not factoring in customs fees, because just lately here in the UK even single figures have been hit with import VAT. At least with one shipment your paying a single handling fee and not 3-4 like you potentially could if they were shipped monthly.
    Last edited by blackiecats; November 29, 2016 at 03:35pm.
    At this point I just HOPE for Dylamug and Hunga the Harpy!

from Australia - and i have taken on every Matty Subscription, and branched off into Voltron, Ghostbusters, Thundercats etc.
    I get the extra cost of tooling, but the exchange rate, then the shipping puts each figure at $70 - and yes it looks like freight may be the make or break for me.

Twice i have completed a cart on Super 7, but cant bring myself to pay so much for these figures.

I want to support

Heroic Warrior
    This is nothing new. I paid approximately $60 - $65 per figure for the Mattel subs for 2014 and 2015 for fast shipping to Australia.

Welcome to the club.

Shipping of one figure is 32 dollars and shipping of two figures is 56 dollars. And if it wasn't enough, shipping price is counted to the customs price....so that would be very expensive order. Its sort of shame price just almost doubles when one figure is added, and we cant say they are heavy...but I guess it is the way post makes it profit.

I am sure internet shopping has just increased, its sort of odd that with more volume the prices go up. However, I guess many shipment companies do not have that much competition.

Quote Originally Posted by KS790 View Post
    from Australia - and i have taken on every Matty Subscription, and branched off into Voltron, Ghostbusters, Thundercats etc.
    I get the extra cost of tooling, but the exchange rate, then the shipping puts each figure at $70 - and yes it looks like freight may be the make or break for me.

Twice i have completed a cart on Super 7, but cant bring myself to pay so much for these figures.

I want to support
    Same! I want to support Super 7, but with the current exchange rate, 5 figures, plus shipping makes the figures around $70each...
    It's hard to pull the trigger, especially when Super 7 aren't forthcoming with information, their customer service is non existent and the packaging shots are super dodgy.

I wouldn't have minded the teela and faker for the extra heads, but I can't justify the costs for the figures I already have in a line I'm pretty burned out on.

From Australia: Id like to buy the three terrors but cant afford to. $234 AUD for the 4 pack or $74 AUD for a single figure... and there are also customs cost to add to this right?

Has there ever been thought put into the possibility of partnering with a local retailer in countries outside the US? I guess a bigger ship still cancels out any savings due to the exponential customs chages though huh?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior Master of Disguise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oz-Scott View Post
    Same! I want to support Super 7, but with the current exchange rate, 5 figures, plus shipping makes the figures around $70each...
    It's hard to pull the trigger, especially when Super 7 aren't forthcoming with information, their customer service is non existent and the packaging shots are super dodgy.
    The exchange rate may get even worse soon. When the criminal Federal Reserve Bank raises interests rates in the US expect our dollar to fall further.
    Go Home And Be A Family He-Man!

Heroic Warrior
    I was interested in buying Ram Man for $35. But, shipping was $32 (almost as much as the figure itself).

That's $90 (AUD) which is WAY too much for me to pay for a single figure. If I was willing to spend that much on a single figure, I'd be buying some of the TMNT Figuarts action figures.

I wish there was a way for Super 7 to ship directly from China to Australia (and to other countries where it would be a cheaper option than (presumably) shipping the figures to the US and then shipping them to customers).

EDIT: Full disclosure - I'm not interested in Super 7's future offerings unless and until they obtain the licence for She-Ra: Princess of Power. So, that also colours my interest in Ram Man (i.e. continuing to collect MOTUC in any way beyond 2016).

My original plan was to get two Teelas, one He-Man, one Skeletor, and on Faker. But that combination of five figures comes to $80 shipping (even though getting the bundle comes to $55 shipping). $80USD ($107.43CAD) to ship five figures is just too much for me, I refuse to spend that.

So right away I decided to compromise and drop one of the Teelas and just get four figures. Shipping for four figures is $55, a little high for my tastes but I was tempted to pull the trigger.

Then this week I talked myself out of getting Skeletor to save some money and just get one Teela, one He-Man, and one Faker. Shipping is still $55 just for those three.

How the heck can a bundle of five figures (including the oversized Ram Man) be the same price as three regular figures at $55?
    No way that's correct, and it's now leaving me pondering just passing on these Ultimates all together because I can't help but feel I'm getting screwed on shipping.

So all because of shipping I've gone from ready to pull the trigger on ordering 5 Ultimate figures to 4 figures, to 3 figures, to now to just about saying "the hell with it" and not getting any because of the cost of shipping ($55USD shipping comes to $73.86CAD just to ship the bare minimum I wanted to get of 3 figures).

I realize shipping costs have gone up, but no way it's still the same price just to ship 3 figures as it is to ship 5, the price should drop somewhat. Something's screwy and it's about to cost Super 7 a sale....

With one day left in this pre-order window, I hope we Internationals hear something from Super 7 before midnight tomorrow night.

I wanted to buy Possessed Skeletor and Ultimate Skeletor but shipping is $56 for the two to the UK, which is only $4 less than the figures themselves cost.
    I want the vinyl Skeletor too even though he's crazy expensive, if the shipping was cheaper I'd be able to afford all three, but as it is I can't pull the trigger on any of them.

It's really frustrating. I had the same situation with the Loyal Subjects, there was a ton of stuff I wanted to order from them but the shipping was ludicrous so I walked away.

I was hoping shipping with Super7 would be cheaper than Matty, not more expensive.

There must be a solution? Maybe if they let you hold items and combine them with future purchases (like BBTS' 'Pile of Loot' feature)?
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.facebook.com/lukespicerillustration

This is what I wonder too...

Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post

I wish there was a way for Super 7 to ship directly from China to Australia (and to other countries where it would be a cheaper option than (presumably) shipping the figures to the US and then shipping them to customers).

I have been buying since the beginning but I won't be supporting the super7 line. With the higher price point, Canadian dollar,customs and the high shipping prices my collection will end with this years grayskull and thundercats subscription.

I simply can't afford them at around a 80 bucks Canadian a pop.

Quote Originally Posted by jjhuehn View Post
    From Australia: Id like to buy the three terrors but cant afford to. $234 AUD for the 4 pack or $74 AUD for a single figure... and there are also customs cost to add to this right?
    We don't pay customs fees on items under $1000AU (Except for cigarettes and alcohol).

More info HERE.

Personally, it's not so much MOTUC but action figures in general. They've crept up in price very quickly in the last few years here in Australia. It was not that long ago when our $ was on parity with the US, but it's dropped to mid 70 cents and been there for a good while. Still, not the worst it's ever been (when MOTUC started it was in the 60 cent bracket). But it's that, shipping costs increasing worldwide and generally companies wanting to make more profit (let's face it, Mattel own this license and have been gouging us).

But I compare to other lines I'm interested in... MOTUC costs me around $50-$60 per figure, in Australian dollars. Star Wars Black Series and Marvel Legends cost around $35 (that's in stores here or if ordered overseas you're looking closer to $40). The TIE Fighter from that line retails for $350-$400 here. Considering I manage to snag Castle Grayskull last year at 50% off and free shipping, costing me $200, there's no way I can justify it. NECA product is a big one that's jumped, used to be around $30 a figure, now anything under $50 is cheap. Marvel Select... costs upward of $60 for some figures now. Transformers, while they've always been expensive, are just absurd. The absolutely smallest Masterpiece TFs retail for around $100 nowadays, which is just crazy to me.

It's really at the pick and choose stage for me. I used to sub but didn't this year. Just cannot justify the outlay for minor characters and didn't want to start again with Filmation stuff, even though I would if they didn't cost $50+ a figure. If they go cheaper, I'd pick them up in deals.

I know that it doesn't support Super7, but what kind of savings would international fans get by going through a place like BBTS.com?

Or, possibly waiting for the inevitable eBay seller... higher initial cost, but MUCH cheaper shipping?
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Bought none due to shipping and dollar value

Widget
    Im from South Africa and was also interested in the ultimate editions. I missed it when these figures were initially released. I cant bring myself to buy these figures at these shipping rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk