Page 23 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Bios & Canon Discussion (updated as bios become available)

Yes! He-Man with his Fuerza T goatee!

A new bio so an update to this thread. Now just waiting for Jukka to update the card art thread

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Or Marlena. She didn't even get mentioned! Fine way to treat the mother of his kids (not to mention mother of the lead heroes).

Oh dang, can't Mattel fight for any of its names? Fisto, Whiplash, now Primus?
    Just think about Blade, can't imagine Hasbro & Marvel/Disney will let that go without a heavy price????
    Last edited by Coptur; September 22, 2009 at 12:29pm. Reason: missed word

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Oh dang, can't Mattel fight for any of its names? Fisto, Whiplash, now Primus?
    Mattel has the licensed Trademark for Fisto and Whiplash
    You can also look it up here: MOTUC Checklist & Release Calendar of 2008-?

Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    Just think about Blade, can't imagine Hasbro & Marvel/Disney will let that go without a heavy price????
    Blade will be impossible. If Blade gets released he'll has to have a new name.
    Maybe something like Blades

Marvel's Blade was in existence 14 years before the original Masters Of The Universe movie. It stinks if the only reason Mattel can't use the name now is because the character was featured in a freakin' awful TV show and a crappy movie trilogy.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Marvel's Blade was in existence 14 years before the original Masters Of The Universe movie. It stinks if the only reason Mattel can't use the name now is because the character was featured in a freakin' awful TV show and a crappy movie trilogy.
    Um, and because Blade is part of the Marvel Universe. Regardless of how his "multimedia" outing went he was and is a comic book character that has appeared with Spider-Man, Daredevil, and many others over the years. Blade is still significant to Marvel. Blade is not significant to MOTU. In fact your comments about Marvel's Blade are more fitting to the He-Man movie Blade... a "character from a crappy movie."
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Um, and because Blade is part of the Marvel Universe.
    Um, why didn't it stop the name Blade being used as a toy and a character in the 1987 movie if he's so important to the Marvel Universe? It's because the movie and TV show made the character a household name where as the comic books never did.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Um, why didn't it stop the name Blade being used as a toy and a character in the 1987 movie if he's so important to the Marvel Universe? It's because the movie and TV show made the character a household name where as the comic books never did.
    Same reason the Dreadwing was out in the 80's along side Hasbros Dreadwing. I guess back then companies weren't as eager to start a lawsuit.

Sadly the Dreadwing, a planet called Primus and Blade i guess will have to have re-invented names and likenesses as Hasbro and Marvel/Disney currently hold them.

However much you dislike him Marvels Blade is still a popular character. character.
    Last edited by Coptur; September 22, 2009 at 06:58pm. Reason: spelling

Same reason the Dreadwing was out in the 80's along side Hasbros Dreadwing. I guess back then companies weren't as eager to start a lawsuit.
    Considering Marvel wouldn't let a character who goes back to the 1940's like Captain Marvel use his own name for his DC comic, I'd say companies have always been this way. I don't know how MOTU's Blade slipped through the cracks.

However much you dislike him Marvels Blade is still a popular character. character.
    If you're talking comics, I'd have to disagree. He's had a new series with every Blade movie and none of them lasted long. I could be wrong, but I don't believe his guest appearances ever bumped the #'s on a book he was in.

If we're talking movies, I'd also have to disagree. None of his 3 movies made it to $100 million. In fact, not only did his last movie not break even domestically, it didn't even make more than $52 million. I'd also add that a character whose TV show couldn't make it past 12 episodes is not a popular character. I'll give you that he has a cult following but so does Kitty Pride.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    These bios are starting to contradict one another a little bit in terms of the timeframe in which the Council of Elders existed. In Zodac's bio, it sounds like they existed before Grayskull's death and disbanded afterwards.

In King Randor's bio, it sounds like they existed long after Grayskull's death into the modern times until Randor became King.

In most classic canon, the Elders disbanded thousands of years in the past, but in MYP the Elders exist until Keldor's attack. It seems like Mattel hit a snag when writing these two bios and weren't sure which timeframe to go with.

Considering Marvel wouldn't let a character who goes back to the 1940's like Captain Marvel use his own name for his DC comic, I'd say companies have always been this way. I don't know how MOTU's Blade slipped through the cracks.

If you're talking comics, I'd have to disagree. He's had a new series with every Blade movie and none of them lasted long. I could be wrong, but I don't believe his guest appearances ever bumped the #'s on a book he was in.

If we're talking movies, I'd also have to disagree. None of his 3 movies made it to $100 million. In fact, not only did his last movie not break even domestically, it didn't even make more than $52 million. I'd also add that a character whose TV show couldn't make it past 12 episodes is not a popular character. I'll give you that he has a cult following but so does Kitty Pride.
    Well if your comic company is called Marvel your not going to let you biggest rival use your companies name on a flagship character. Heck i would fight for it.

Marvels Blade in the 80's wasn't a used character i think he still had that goofy green outfit and no merhandise. Thus allowing mattel to produce toys with that name as marvel at that time wouldn't of had an interest. A Gobot character named Blades/Bladez also passed through the net (likeness rights blah blah)

But today Marvels Blade has been in the spotlight yes with 3 big picture movies and a tv series whether you personally like them or even if they didn't do fantastically at the boxoffice or even the cash in comic book series didn't do well it doesn't matter (i only like the 1st myself) because the name is all too fresh in the general populous' minds, I can see it now "isn't Blade meant to be black guy".

Blade was looked at and seen as a character that has vast potential (3 movies and a tv series) by marvel, with various action figures and statues that all sell. No not in great numbers but sell none the less he's even been included in some computer games. Vampires have a huge following in general Buffy, Twilight, Anne Rice books to name but a few. However which way you look at it Blade is/can be worth abit of money(or investment) to Marvel.

MOTU Blade called Blade on the toy packaging is less likely he may even be to similar in the toy/collector market to risk releasing.

Both

*Have swords
    *Do Martial Arts
    *Have eye wear
    *Wear predominately black

Its a shame he may not be called Blade on the packaging but if we get a tv series or comic he'll still be called Blade much like the Fisto/Battle Fist senario.

Those who were kids in the 40's would say Captain Marvel wears Red not blue.

Kids of today would say Blade is black not white.

I have put forward a question to Toyguru regarding Blade and the MOTUC line i just hope it gets picked :-)
    Last edited by Coptur; September 23, 2009 at 12:24pm. Reason: adding info

Those who were kids in the 40's would say Captain Marvel wears Red not blue.
    He wears both.

JOIN THE GROUP...

He wears both.

The DC ie original Captain Marvel predominantly wears Red

Wheras the Marvel Captain Marvel predominantly wears blue (i'm aware of the female capt marvel that wore black and white)

what i meant by that remark is those that don't know any different won't understand like us.

We know that Capt. Marvel (DC) is all magical and stuff and that the Capt. Marvel (Marvel) is or has been predominantly an alien.

The DC ie original Captain Marvel predominantly wears Red

Wheras the Marvel Captain Marvel predominantly wears blue (i'm aware of the female capt marvel that wore black and white)

what i meant by that remark is those that don't know any different won't understand like us.

We know that Capt. Marvel (DC) is all magical and stuff and that the Capt. Marvel (Marvel) is or has been predominantly an alien.

I know what you meant, I was just messing with you. Anyone whose screenname is the name of a Gobot is A-OK in my book!

JOIN THE GROUP...

I know what you meant, I was just messing with you. Anyone whose screenname is the name of a Gobot is A-OK in my book!
    Ha ha you couldn't imagine the stick i get for that on the transformers sites lol

Shame about the He-Man movie news :-(

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Updated with The Goddess bio. I LOVE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by PaTrIcKfOgArTy View Post
    Updated with The Goddess bio. I LOVE IT.
    Same here. I think it will split the fandom. This is the bio that will cause some people to totally disregard the bios from here on out

I am not one of them. These bios are getting better and better with each release

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Same here. I think it will split the fandom. This is the bio that will cause some people to totally disregard the bios from here on out

I am not one of them. These bios are getting better and better with each release
    I like most of them, the few parts I don't care for I just ignore. I don't care for the Goddess' bio that much, but it really doesn't matter. I think that Adora's (which is coming next!) will be one of the most important though for the judgement of the masses.

Yeah good point on Adora. That one will be the deciding factor for a lot of people

There are way too many plot holes established with the Goddess Bio.

The biggest is Skeletor? Which raises several options:
    Barbarian He-Man was actually fighting Demo-Man until he managed to banish him to Despondos.
    Skeletor while trapped behind the Mystic Wall managed to Time Travel.
    Skeletor is now a title like He-Man.
    Barbarian He-Man was actually fighting Karak Nul which created the myth that Scare Glow is the Ghost of Skeletor.

Next would be Stratos, Beast Man, and Mer-Man:
    Obvious different then the ones that exist today.
    Stratos is most likely another Avion of the same name. Perhaps this is how the current Stratos got his name.
    Then there's the whole time travel thing.

Third Teela:
    Could be another clone?
    Could be Teela Na before becoming the Current Sorceress. We don't exactly know how long she's been the Sorceress.

Other plot holes:
    Zodac fighting against He-Man? Perhaps he felt Barbarian He-Man was not the rightful heir and fought him to keep him away.
    Was the Goddess the title before it was changed to the Sorceress?
    Was the Goddess a Guardian to Grayskull or just protector to the Sword of He or Trainer of He-Man?
    Was there even a Sorceress during the time of Barbarian He-Man?
    How many other He-Man's are there?

Last wouldn't it be fun with a now a five hundred year gap between King Grayskull and He-Man that Blackstar could somehow fit into canon. Since there are many similarities and he did make a small cameo as a statue.

As I wrote on my site, one could argue the story in the early minicomics (e.g., "He-Man and the Power Sword") are just legends that mix up the tales of the "earlier He-Men" with our Adam-era He-Man.

Here's a theory. What if the early minicomics are the true stories of He-Man, and the Filmation period is just the dreams and fantasies of a young prince of Eternia named Adam who imagines himself to be He-Man? Adam woud pretend his pet tiger named Cringer is Battle Cat and would re-enact all of the mythical tales.

The other possibility is that Adam is the last survivor of the Great Wars and, having been exposed to massive doses of radiation, now has reality-altering powers. He has created for himself an alternate reality in which he imagines himself as He-Man, a la that Justice League episode with that parallel universe Justice Society. That would explain why everything is so different from the tales of the early mini comics, as he has to fill in the gaps in his knowledge.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    Here's a theory. What if the early minicomics are the true stories of He-Man, and the Filmation period is just the dreams and fantasies of a young prince of Eternia named Adam who imagines himself to be He-Man? Adam woud pretend his pet tiger named Cringer is Battle Cat and would re-enact all of the mythical tales.

The other possibility is that Adam is the last survivor of the Great Wars and, having been exposed to massive doses of radiation, now has reality-altering powers. He has created for himself an alternate reality in which he imagines himself as He-Man, a la that Justice League episode with that parallel universe Justice Society. That would explain why everything is so different from the tales of the early mini comics, as he has to fill in the gaps in his knowledge.
    here's another theory: the early minicomics are totally made up stories by the people of Eternia to try and explain where their mysterious champion came from since no one suspected the truth about the young prince.

Going to split the fandom? It already was split this is just bringing it into focus.

My main beef with Goddess' bio is making her Sharella instead of them being separate characters
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    There are way too many plot holes established with the Goddess Bio.

The biggest is Skeletor? Which raises several options:
    Barbarian He-Man was actually fighting Demo-Man until he managed to banish him to Despondos.
    Skeletor while trapped behind the Mystic Wall managed to Time Travel.
    Skeletor is now a title like He-Man.
    Barbarian He-Man was actually fighting Karak Nul which created the myth that Scare Glow is the Ghost of Skeletor.

Next would be Stratos, Beast Man, and Mer-Man:
    Obvious different then the ones that exist today.
    Stratos is most likely another Avion of the same name. Perhaps this is how the current Stratos got his name.
    Then there's the whole time travel thing.

Third Teela:
    Could be another clone?
    Could be Teela Na before becoming the Current Sorceress. We don't exactly know how long she's been the Sorceress.

Other plot holes:
    Zodac fighting against He-Man? Perhaps he felt Barbarian He-Man was not the rightful heir and fought him to keep him away.
    Was the Goddess the title before it was changed to the Sorceress?
    Was the Goddess a Guardian to Grayskull or just protector to the Sword of He or Trainer of He-Man?
    Was there even a Sorceress during the time of Barbarian He-Man?
    How many other He-Man's are there?

Last wouldn't it be fun with a now a five hundred year gap between King Grayskull and He-Man that Blackstar could somehow fit into canon. Since there are many similarities and he did make a small cameo as a statue.
    Nice. We're on the same page it seems. Here's my theory.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think I have it figured out. Barbarian He-Man was from 200 years ago. I get this from MAA's bio, where it states how there's been a MAA since 200 years ago.

Man-At-Arms: Alcala Man-At-Arms is explainable. For two hundred years there has been a MAA. So this guy isn't Duncan or Dekker, possibly before Dekker. Maybe he was the first MAA and started cobbling together vehicles that he unearthed from The Great Wars.

Stratos, Beast Man and Mer-Man: The Alcala versions of Stratos (Caucasian Skin and Beast Man's feet), Mer-Man (Blue Skin and scaly underwear) and Beast Man (All red) are merely the precursors of the current versions and just other members of those races.

Another explanation for Stratos could be that it's actually the normal Stratos, since we don't know how long those races live. The Caucasian version could be when he was much younger, so his fur hasn't fully grown in yet. It would fit in with his MYP characterization which presents him as an "older" warrior.

Skeletor: Skeletor might actually not be Keldor, but Demo-Man--the actual demon from another dimension, which keeps with his original origin. "Skeletor" returns when Demo-Man gets merged with Keldor. So that means that barbarian He-Man must have defeated him, became King of Castle Grayskull, took Blonde Teela as his queen and they begat...The Sorceress of Grayskull we know?

Teela: Could Blonde Teela be The Sorceress of Grayskull when she was young? Or Blonde Teela might be the Sorceress' mother? If so, this shows a trend in Teela's becoming the Sorceress eventually.

Can I just say there's nothing wrong with "disregarding" the bios as the canon of choice? To me they're building up more reference material and some new ideas for how to fit the parts together, but in no way are they the final word on a definitive MOTU canon. Mattel has even said that. They can't be definitive if He-Ro isn't He-Man's ancestor anymore. That's how I feel and I'm sticking to it. The only way this situation is bad is when people try to force or control other fans into adhering to this version of the mythology.