Page 49 of 65 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1622

Thread: MOTUC Bios & Canon Discussion (updated as bios become available)

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    I'm a little confused with Buzz-Off being King of the Andrenids.

1. Does this mean he's married to Queen Andreeno or does she even exist in this continuity?

2. In the MYP cartoon Carnivus was called King instead of Chief. At first I asumed the change was to avoid confusion as to rank with Randor but Buzz Off was called Lord not King...
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    It's just a marketable name to sell toys. Maybe for a possible army builder (although I would have zero interest in spider-warrior two-packs )
    All Arachna are spider warriors, as stated in Webstor's bio: "One of the last remaining members of an ancient Eternian race of Spider Warriors called the Arachna..."
    Sorry, my last couple sentences weren't as tongue-in-cheek as they were supposed to be. It's really kind of sad just how awkward the wording is to add some registered trademarks.
    Roast Gooble Dinner podcast Appendix & Notations
    Doughnuts & Top Cow podcast Co-Host
    @joshcrawley

Buzz-Off has been added to the Bio-Narrative Thread!

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181392
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

While it's a bit late to speak of, since we're now on Buzz-Off's bio, I was also wondering about Wun-Dar being called a savage He-Man. But I thought of something that, to me, makes sense.
    In all past media, comics, records/tapes, cartoons, He-Man has had a specific code, and used limited force when fighting his foes, really only using his strongest attacks against inanimate objects. His heroic personality is similar to Superman in that aspect.
    If we're going to compare Prince Adam's He-Man to Superman, then Wun-Dar would be Eternia's equivalent to Batman. Still heroic with a strict no kill policy, he'd use his great strength and weapons to injure and maim villains. His acts would be more brutal ind he has no qualms about causing evil doers physical injury and pain, so long as his actions do not kill the enemy, then he's ok with it.

At least, that's my take on it.

Heroic Warrior
    Actually... why might Wundar not kill?

Honestly I prefer if He-man be the shining light of what a hero should be. No lethal force allowed....

However, I'm a little LESS stringent on the pretend He-men of ages past... Wundar is packing a gun... Barbarian He-man had the axe... They did NOT have the full power of Grayskull... so they MAY have been a bit more 'flexible' in their code....

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MeddwynnRavencroft View Post
    While it's a bit late to speak of, since we're now on Buzz-Off's bio, I was also wondering about Wun-Dar being called a savage He-Man. But I thought of something that, to me, makes sense.
    In all past media, comics, records/tapes, cartoons, He-Man has had a specific code, and used limited force when fighting his foes, really only using his strongest attacks against inanimate objects. His heroic personality is similar to Superman in that aspect.
    If we're going to compare Prince Adam's He-Man to Superman, then Wun-Dar would be Eternia's equivalent to Batman. Still heroic with a strict no kill policy, he'd use his great strength and weapons to injure and maim villains. His acts would be more brutal ind he has no qualms about causing evil doers physical injury and pain, so long as his actions do not kill the enemy, then he's ok with it.

At least, that's my take on it.
    Pre-Filmation He-Man killed monsters in He-Man vs Ram Man. There's also the DC comics where he, Teela and Battle Cat are killing demons.

You're probably right though...Adam and alot of the contemporary characters probably don't kill (at least regularly), while the more ancient characters might have killed regularly. We see this with the Snake Men (eating people, tasting blood) and Hordak (executed Calix over "bad news").

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    You're probably right though...Adam and alot of the contemporary characters probably don't kill (at least regularly), while the more ancient characters might have killed regularly. We see this with the Snake Men (eating people, tasting blood) and Hordak (executed Calix over "bad news").
    But those are villains, of course they kill! Skeletor is just as bad! He didn't teleport Saurod, he vaporized that sucker!

However, considering how overhyped Batman is compared to Superman, I sure don't want to make Wun-Dar the Batman of MOTU. So maybe let him kill. How would Wun-Dar ever appear in a MOTU story? Would he appear from the past like King Tamask, or would he appear in flashbacks like King Grayskull?

I'm in the boat of imagining that Wun-Dar's savageness refers to him jumping into battle more fiercely than other He-Men would do, and beating up his enemies if they really anger him.

"Wun-Dar... SMASH!"
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    How would Wun-Dar ever appear in a MOTU story? Would he appear from the past like King Tamask, or would he appear in flashbacks like King Grayskull?
    Flashbacks, stories told through time, and magically ripped across history for special crossover events.

Adam or Adora could even travel back to his era.
    Last edited by Jon-O; September 22, 2010 at 05:54pm.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

How would Wun-Dar ever appear in a MOTU story? Would he appear from the past like King Tamask, or would he appear in flashbacks like King Grayskull?
    Wun-Dar will never appear in any story.

This is MOTUC, it's not something Mattel will build on in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post

This is MOTUC, it's not something Mattel will build on in the future.
    Oh ouch! I hope they will build on MOTUC just as MOTUC is using characters created in 200X. It's always getting bigger. Sure they may want to let some professional writer(s) iron out some things like the sword cloning and multiple He-Man crap--er, ideas--but I don't think MOTUC is something to be forgotten/discarded completely. Or were you making a joke that I totally missed?

Oh ouch! I hope they will build on MOTUC just as MOTUC is using characters created in 200X. It's always getting bigger. Sure they may want to let some professional writer(s) iron out some things like the sword cloning and multiple He-Man crap--er, ideas--but I don't think MOTUC is something to be forgotten/discarded completely. Or were you making a joke that I totally missed?
    No joke.

Here's how I see the MOTUC bios/canon. Mattel knew they needed something to go with their new figures. New art was out. Too expensive. Comics were out. Too expensive. No new cartoon. Movie deal way insecure. So they settled for the simplest, cheapest kind of "Media" they could do, that is putting a brief bio with a narrative on the back.

The MOTUC bios are... how should I put it... they're very clearly aimed for diehard collectors, who have been with MOTU for a long time. Countless references, convoluted continuity, weird ideas used for nostalgic reasons... They're very "fannish", like something you'd see in a fanfiction. They lack the strong, cohesive, "clean" approach you'd want from a new MOTU media.

I believe the bios are basically a "fire-and-forget" thing. If people don't like them, it doesn't matter. People will buy the figures anyway. If people do like them, Mattel may be able to sell that person more figures. But essentially, they're not something that's going to be the definitive MOTU canon (and if they are, I'll be -very- dissapointed at how sloppy and haphazard it is).

Another problem with building a canon from the MOTUC bios is that all the stories are there. You will be able to literally read every major secret of this new MOTU universe right there on the toy. What mysteries and plot twists will there be left to explore? Finding out there'd been other He-Men in the past could have made a great plot twist, except we already know they exist, their names and when they lived. And so on. All of which just cements my belief that the bios are not there to build a foundation, they're there as a quirky extra to the packaging.

Just my .02 on the matter.

No joke.

Here's how I see the MOTUC bios/canon. Mattel knew they needed something to go with their new figures. New art was out. Too expensive. Comics were out. Too expensive. No new cartoon. Movie deal way insecure. So they settled for the simplest, cheapest kind of "Media" they could do, that is putting a brief bio with a narrative on the back.

The MOTUC bios are... how should I put it... they're very clearly aimed for diehard collectors, who have been with MOTU for a long time. Countless references, convoluted continuity, weird ideas used for nostalgic reasons... They're very "fannish", like something you'd see in a fanfiction. They lack the strong, cohesive, "clean" approach you'd want from a new MOTU media.

I believe the bios are basically a "fire-and-forget" thing. If people don't like them, it doesn't matter. People will buy the figures anyway. If people do like them, Mattel may be able to sell that person more figures. But essentially, they're not something that's going to be the definitive MOTU canon (and if they are, I'll be -very- dissapointed at how sloppy and haphazard it is).

Another problem with building a canon from the MOTUC bios is that all the stories are there. You will be able to literally read every major secret of this new MOTU universe right there on the toy. What mysteries and plot twists will there be left to explore? Finding out there'd been other He-Men in the past could have made a great plot twist, except we already know they exist, their names and when they lived. And so on. All of which just cements my belief that the bios are not there to build a foundation, they're there as a quirky extra to the packaging.

Just my .02 on the matter.
    I don't disagree about criticizing the flaws of the current shape of MOTUC's canon, but I refuse to subtract characters. They've given us Wun-Dar, and I accept him as I have all new characters. Some details may need some revision, but I won't cut them out and would be very annoyed if they were erased from all future incarnations of the franchise (as upset as I am about no Filmation characters so far in MOTUC). If I wanted to skip anyone it would be King Grayskull because he steals from He-Ro's backstory, but obviously some people would see it the other way around, so what I want is something all-inclusive. Dismiss Wun-Dar and you dismiss Gygor and Vikor and anything else that MOTUC gives us officially for the first time (or you just play favorites, which is fun as long as it's your favorites that don't get the axe).

I don't disagree about criticizing the flaws of the current shape of MOTUC's canon, but I refuse to subtract characters. They've given us Wun-Dar, and I accept him as I have all new characters. Some details may need some revision, but I won't cut them out and would be very annoyed if they were erased from all future incarnations of the franchise (as upset as I am about no Filmation characters so far in MOTUC). If I wanted to skip anyone it would be King Grayskull because he steals from He-Ro's backstory, but obviously some people would see it the other way around, so what I want is something all-inclusive. Dismiss Wun-Dar and you dismiss Gygor and Vikor and anything else that MOTUC gives us officially for the first time (or you just play favorites, which is fun as long as it's your favorites that don't get the axe).
    As I said, I'm not saying this kind of approach is ~wrong~. It's exactly the type of approach you should take when making a story directed at longtime fans and collectors (as MOTUC is).

However, if one is going to make a fresh, new MOTU media, be it a comic, a cartoon or a movie that's set to reach beyond the tiny confines of the long-time fandom and reach a new audience, doing that sort of story will most likely be off-putting and confusing, and end up making no new fans at all.

Val talked on one of the podcasts about the two ways of working on something, as a fan sitting and home and making stuff up for fun and for other fans, and as a professional, out to tell a story that is appealing and interesting to many people. One needs to know when to flip that switch, and I believe Mattel do. MYP didn't slavishly follow Filmation canon any more than Filmation followed minicomics canon. Each presented a fresh new start to the franchise with some familiar characters to relate to, put in new situations and new storylines.

There's a long-time saying in screenwriting about being able to "kill your darlings". And I feel that's true here too. One needs to be ready to axe even a beloved character if it helps the overall story become better, otherwise one is too entrenched in the "fan" aspect of it, and not enough in the story.

Once again, just how I see it as a (part-time) writer AND a fan.

As I said, I'm not saying this kind of approach is ~wrong~. It's exactly the type of approach you should take when making a story directed at longtime fans and collectors (as MOTUC is).

However, if one is going to make a fresh, new MOTU media, be it a comic, a cartoon or a movie that's set to reach beyond the tiny confines of the long-time fandom and reach a new audience, doing that sort of story will most likely be off-putting and confusing, and end up making no new fans at all.

Val talked on one of the podcasts about the two ways of working on something, as a fan sitting and home and making stuff up for fun and for other fans, and as a professional, out to tell a story that is appealing and interesting to many people. One needs to know when to flip that switch, and I believe Mattel do. MYP didn't slavishly follow Filmation canon any more than Filmation followed minicomics canon. Each presented a fresh new start to the franchise with some familiar characters to relate to, put in new situations and new storylines.

There's a long-time saying in screenwriting about being able to "kill your darlings". And I feel that's true here too. One needs to be ready to axe even a beloved character if it helps the overall story become better, otherwise one is too entrenched in the "fan" aspect of it, and not enough in the story.

Once again, just how I see it as a (part-time) writer AND a fan.
    I understand all that, really I do, I'm a writer as well. But I think that's different from condemning the character of Wun-Dar to the reject pile. He's more than the myth he used to be; he is now a legitimate element to draw upon for all future incarnations.
    See because that never is just wrong. I think there's always room for imagination, there is a story to tell with any character that can fit into what we know, and honestly to dismiss someone like Wun-Dar or anything new MOTUC adds while saying you have to make hard choices as a writer is being short-sighted, because there are always ways that such characters can be used to tell new stories rather than to retell the main story we all know so well. So long as you are open to reinterpretation and bringing new things to the table, you should be open to the new elements from MOTUC being mined for new stories too. I think anything MOTUC adds will be a little more than a Biff Beastman or Prince Dare unless they remain as forgettable as an unpronounceable name on a bio card. I don't see leaving out something MOTUC added because you can't imagine how to utilize it is the same thing as "killing your darlings."
    Last edited by gbagok; September 22, 2010 at 09:53pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I understand all that, really I do, I'm a writer as well. But I think that's different from condemning the character of Wun-Dar to the reject pile. Yes, sometimes you have to kill your darlings, but it's shortsighted to say that's the darlings' fault and not your inability to come up with something. I think Wun-Dar for example is now more than the myth he used to be; he is now a legitimate element to draw upon for all future incarnations.
    That's the way I see characters who are in MOTUC. The bios aren't really too important, but now the characters themselves are now legitimized in MOTUC.
    Count Marzo, Wun-Dar, Vikor, Gygor, the 200X Techno Sword...all now general MOTU concepts.

Instead of MOTU being limited to only the 72 characters from the vintage line, now it's grown twice as big. For example, in a flashback in a new cartoon, the 200X Adam might be the young Adam, while the old Adam is the Classic version.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

I understand all that, really I do, I'm a writer as well. But I think that's different from condemning the character of Wun-Dar to the reject pile. He's more than the myth he used to be; he is now a legitimate element to draw upon for all future incarnations.

Wun-Dar is a character based on an urban legend based on a (possibly) real promotional figure. He has an in-joke name and comes with a loaf of bread. Yes, I'm perfectly fine excluding him from any MOTU story, and it will not make the story worse in any way.

If one must absolutely -insist- on keeping the intellectual detritus of having alternate "historical" He-Men based on variant He-Man figures, then pretty much any of them could fill in the role of a "savage" He-Man better than a guy with a raygun and a futuristic armor.

But putting Wun-Dar aside, I'm making a general example here.

Is MOTU no longer "right" if Snout Spout doesn't exist in it? What if Trap Jaw has a different origin? Does that make it a "bad" canon? What if it just focuses on the core group of characters, going around Eternia on adventures? Does that make it a "bad" media take on MOTU?

Wun-Dar is a character based on an urban legend based on a (possibly) real promotional figure. He has an in-joke name and comes with a loaf of bread. Yes, I'm perfectly fine excluding him from any MOTU story, and it will not make the story worse in any way.

If one must absolutely -insist- on keeping the intellectual detritus of having alternate "historical" He-Men based on variant He-Man figures, then pretty much any of them could fill in the role of a "savage" He-Man better than a guy with a raygun and a futuristic armor.
    And He-Man started as just a Conan/muscle-man pastiche. I'm sorry, it's late so I'm sorry to say this sounds like intellectual snobbery to me (I don't think you're a snob though, sorry for the association!). I think they're all legitimate fodder for storytelling. They may not be put together in a proper story the same way that MOTUC is doing it, but I think its just wrong to look down your nose at this stuff. Nothing is hurt by dropping out the Snake Men either, their role could be assumed by the Horde. I think there's always going to be some compromise like that, but not all interpretations need to be the same.

But putting Wun-Dar aside, I'm making a general example here.

Is MOTU no longer "right" if Snout Spout doesn't exist in it? What if Trap Jaw has a different origin? Does that make it a "bad" canon? What if it just focuses on the core group of characters, going around Eternia on adventures? Does that make it a "bad" media take on MOTU?
    Unless your own answer to these questions is yes, you're either making my point for me, or else you don't know what I'm saying. Is MOTU no longer right if it uses Wun-Dar, Oo-Lar, other He-Man, Gygor, He-Ro and King Grayskull together, or the Sorceress and the Goddess both at once? To me it is incompatible thinking to be okay with changing Trap Jaw's origin or the core group, but then not have room for another character/thing/element because it was added as "fan service" previously.
    Last edited by gbagok; September 22, 2010 at 10:42pm.

Unless your own answer to these questions is yes, you're either making my point for me, or else you don't know what I'm saying. Is MOTU no longer right if it uses Wun-Dar, Oo-Lar, other He-Man, Gygor, He-Ro and King Grayskull together, or the Sorceress and the Goddess both at once? To me it is incompatible thinking to be okay with changing Trap Jaw's origin or the core group, but then not have room for another character/thing/element because it was added as "fan service" previously.
    No, there's a difference of view.

You're saying that including all characters by default has some form of intrinsic value to the storytelling. I'm saying that unless the story has a need for a particular character, then there's no problem leaving that character out.

Whether you say they exist but just never made it into the comic/movie/cartoon or don't exist at all doesn't really matter, the important thing is not to further dilute the core story by cramming in more characters.

Or, to put it succinctly:

Storytelling media does not, no matter how much we want them to, have time and space to develop a cast of thousands equally. If you want Wun-Dar in the new cartoon, then whose airtime should he get? Would you trade Wun-Dar for Ram Man? Orko? Because that is what will happen. The larger the cast, the lesser the roles of everyone. I would choose the most iconic characters in the MOTU franchise, given that choice. Others may believe differently. And they're entitled to, it's just opinions!

I'm just saying that given the limited resources a new media has, I'd rather not spend it on incorporating fifteen alternate He-Men, overlords of Trolla and such.

No, there's a difference of view.

You're saying that including all characters by default has some form of intrinsic value to the storytelling.
    Not entirely, I'm saying it's short-sighted for any writer to say there will never be a need for the characters introduced in MOTUC. A series has many stories, many of which will need fresh characters in some capacity. You're talking about inclusion like it means Wun-Dar gets his name above the door. I don't mean it that way.

I'm saying that unless the story has a need for a particular character, then there's no problem leaving that character out.
    Leaving him/her out of a single story yes, or even a whole series, but the entirety of future media? No, I don't agree with that. If we were talking about a specific story in hand, I could see your point. But this is the general use of the character in any media--and I think it's a mistake to say he'll never have a place at all.

Whether you say they exist but just never made it into the comic/movie/cartoon or don't exist at all doesn't really matter, the important thing is not to further dilute the core story by cramming in more characters.
    Actually the important thing is to tell good stories that include these toys that their owners are hypothetically paying you to include.

Storytelling media does not, no matter how much we want them to, have time and space to develop a cast of thousands equally.
    Who's saying any future media must develop every character equally? What franchise does that? Have you seen how many characters are in Clone Wars? They don't all get the spotlight every week. There are always A characters and Z characters. He-Man's a regular who would appear in most if not all episodes, while Oo-Lar vs Gygor may be a one-time guest shot.

If you want Wun-Dar in the new cartoon, then whose airtime should he get? Would you trade Wun-Dar for Ram Man? Orko? Because that is what will happen. The larger the cast, the lesser the roles of everyone.
    Ay Caramba, you and I are on different planets about this. I'm sorry for being so anal, but I wanted to be clear what I mean. Adding Wun-Dar at all (as in not "never") is not the same as swapping him out for Teela! Look at how much screentime/development people like Mossman and Fisto received in previous MOTU media compared to He-Man, Man-At-Arms, Orko, or Teela (MYP isn't great for this because they didn't develop He-Man very much, which was an error). Most of the time C and D characters were not given the same screen time or attention that He-Man or Orko got, why would that suddenly change for Wun-Dar or other lower tier 'he-men' characters, particularly when they are all dead in the past?

The larger the cast, the lesser the roles of everyone. I would choose the most iconic characters in the MOTU franchise, given that choice.
    But I'm trying to explain to you that those are not the only choices you have as a writer. Wun-Dar and Vikor can be included without becoming regular cast members (and their placement in the past supports that). It's not all or nothing. Say if Skeletor dumped Beastman the way he did all his evil warriors in Council of Evil and replaced him with Gygor? Even if that's just an episode or two, how has including Gygor compromised the storytelling? Even if some A or B list characters do get dropped out, like replacing Man-At-Arms with Clamp Champ for a time as some fans have suggested, that's not a bad thing if we want to keep things fresh and interesting. It should help the storytelling, not hinder it.

There is a difference between a core cast and the expanded cast. Wun-Dar, Gygor, and Vikor are now part of the MOTU expanded cast. They may be ignored by some writers for an episode, or even a whole series, as many other MOTU characters have been--but that's still not the same as never!
    Last edited by gbagok; September 23, 2010 at 07:27pm.

You're quite on the money.

All I'm saying is "I sure hope they don't just put all these new characters into new media JUST because they were in Classics". There needs to be a good reason to put in stuff like "past He-men", and a very compelling story framework for it, considering how hugely it affects Adam's role.

That's why I don't want the new default to be "there were tons of He-Men within the 200 years between Adam and Grayskull" to be the new standard for MOTU canons everywhere.

Also no Mo-Larr. Please.

Shadow Beast

Great ape-like beasts who live in tribes throughout the dark hemisphere. Shadow Beasts can only come out in the absence of light. Originally created by Count Marzo, as a weapon to use against his enemies, the beasts were driven back by Princes Keldor and Randor and forced to reside in the shadow of Mount Barathrum.
    There they developed a long standing hatred of both the Human and Gar race. Easily manipulated, the ever growing colony of Beasts was later controlled by Beast Man in the service of Skeletor to take down Eternos Palace. With their great strength and stealth-like appearance, Shadow Beasts are more than a match for most heroic warriors!

So excited - Bow's bio will be next!
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Shadow Beast

Great ape-like beasts who live in tribes throughout the dark hemisphere. Shadow Beasts can only come out in the absence of light. Originally created by Count Marzo, as a weapon to use against his enemies, the beasts were driven back by Prince Keldor and Randor and forced to reside in the shadow of Mount Barathrum.
    There they developed a long standing hatred of both the Human and Gar race. Easily manipulated, the ever growing colony of Beasts was later controlled by Beast Man in the service of Skeletor to take down Eternos Palace. With their great strength and stealth-like appearance, Shadow Beasts are more than a match for most heroic warriors!

....if they hate the gar why do they work for Skeletor, he has a skeleton face but his skin is very gar-ish. i know the are under beast-mans control but still, they are not blind and seem to be full of hate!

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Updated first post with Shadow Beast bio