Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Bios & Canon Discussion (updated as bios become available)

Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    This does bring up an interesting point..... The descendants of KG can access his power through the sword, and by that tree, Skeletor is also descended from KG..........
    So maybe He-Skull isn't out of the question then?
    END OF LINE

Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    This does bring up an interesting point..... The descendants of KG can access his power through the sword, and by that tree, Skeletor is also descended from KG..........

and by that logic skeletor is ALSO somewhat entitled to the power of KG!
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Gives the whole idea of both parties attempting to unite the halves of the power sword a new dimension, huh!

it would be cool if in this canon, king kiro gave each of his sons one half of the power sword. one for randor and one for keldor
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    it would be cool if in this canon, king kiro gave each of his sons one half of the power sword. one for randor and one for keldor
    It would definitely be an interesting take, since in no continuity thus far have suggested that Randor, let alone Miro were aware of Powerswords existing, or Castle Grayskull's powers.

(which is why the idea of KG's bloodline going up to Adam has gotten some comments, because it feels like Randor might have been cheated out on something, Miro possibly before him, and so forth...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    It would definitely be an interesting take, since in no continuity thus far have suggested that Randor, let alone Miro were aware of Powerswords existing, or Castle Grayskull's powers.

(which is why the idea of KG's bloodline going up to Adam has gotten some comments, because it feels like Randor might have been cheated out on something, Miro possibly before him, and so forth...)
    Well, not if Adam was fated to be the vessel for this power.
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

It's the opposite for me.
    This storyline makes me feel like an epic tale that was once grand has been reduced to a lesser story.

Power from inheritance VS power by being chosen bums me out.
    As a kid, part of MOTU's allure to me was anyone could be He-Man if they were the right person... made my own roleplay fantasies more interesting thinking even I might be worthy of being He-Man if I was good-hearted and strong-willed.

I always like the thought of He-Man always being someone good above and beyond the common measure. Only the right person of that time, regardless of race or creed, could be He-Man... a special person who borrowed upon the power of Grayskull to perform a great function.

With the bloodline concept, only a Grayskull relative could be He-Man, and it's also sounding like someone along the Grayskull family line could have technically been an evil He-Man if a Grayskull relative chose to abuse the power. It taints the idea of He-Man for me.
    It also leads to the possible notion of Skeletor possibly being He-Man if he called upon the power, which I also dislike if so.
    Maybe it can't be any old Grayskull descendant who can be He-Man, but it's sure sounding like that's what it was being setup for when a lineage element is introduced. And it's still bloodline specific regardless.

Meanwhile in the classic canon, the power inside Grayskull itself could be used by anyone good or evil who managed to get into Grayskull and access the power, hence why Skeletor and why other baddies wanted it as well.
    Grayskull was a place of great mystery that housed the greatest power in the universe.
    In the classic mythos, I never tied Grayskull to Adam's lineage.

Now IMO it's been reduced to Adam's great-great-whatever-grandpappy's house storing the leftover magic of a ring of old magic users.

2002's MYP cartoon story definitely wasn't for me, while I thought the 4H's designs were awesome... what a conundrum.
    I'm thinking now I'd like to know the 4H's own story for their designs, and toss that MYP story out of my mind.

I agree with many parts of what you are saying Val regarding Adam/ He-Man's worthiness. However, I like to think that the family tree links between King Grayskull and Adam are not solely what clinched the deal in Adam becoming He-Man. I guess the fact that the powers were awarded to Adam and not Keldor leave me thinking that the power of He-Man is still more interested in the person and not the family tree. I guess my definitive "MotU" continuity is a combination of many, many different incarnations. lol

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

All this family heritage stuff makes me dislike King Grayskull even more. Give me He-Ro over that He-Man clone anyday!

Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    Well, not if Adam was fated to be the vessel for this power.
    Yeah, but I'm with Val that the 200x stories took some parts away from the MotU mythos.

In my mind, I always preferred the filmation aspect, about the children of an Earthling and Eternian would draw the Swords of Grayskull and become champions.
    I know lot of people dislike the earth-element because they think about the live-action movie, but I always reckon to that one scene with Marlena telling Adam of her origins.

It also made it special why Adam would be the chosen one. Sure anyone who would conquer Grayskull would obtain the power, but because Adam is like no other in Eternia, fate chose him to become He-Man.

Good points Jukka, and one more good reason why they should bring back the storyline of Marlena coming from Earth. It reinforces the idea of Adam and Adora being destined to receive the power of Grayskull, rather than it being due to who they're decended from.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Good points Jukka, and one more good reason why they should bring back the storyline of Marlena coming from Earth. It reinforces the idea of Adam and Adora being destined to receive the power of Grayskull, rather than it being due to who they're decended from.
    Here here, I totally agree with you and hope that Marlana's earth angle is brought back into play in MOTUC for those very same reasions. Adding to Val's comments about how anyone could have been He-Man (or She-Ra) if they could have accessed the power or been given the sword, that was a very big hook for me with the property in the 80's. But nowerdays as an older kid, the idea of He-Man and She-Ra being half Human / Eternian hybreds makes for some very intresting points for consideration. It could be argued that weilding the swords was truly their destany. Because in all of Eternia's past and present there has never been anyone like them.

They could be seen as totally individual. An evloution for both species, truly superhuman / Eternian. Maybe their totally individualised genetic make up could be one of the reasions the Sorceress knew their bodies alone would be able to deal with transformations that the power of Casttle Grayskull would force upon them. King Grayskull never actually transforms he just releases the power. Transforming is totally He-Man and She-Ra's thing. King Grayskull's power engages with He-Man and She-Ra in a totally different way as it physically changes them. So maybe being half human was one of the reasions Adam & Adora were always ment to weild the great power of Castle Grayskull. All this depth to these charaters by just having Marlana come from earth. I know not everyone would like this but personally the Star Trek fan in me loves it!
    Last edited by Angel-T; January 12, 2009 at 04:36am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Ugh. That's another thing I really don't like, which we've discussed before.
    King Grayskull just had the power... that's it, it was just there.

IMO, a much stronger concept is power from inside Castle Grayskull is granted upon a user.

Someone just having the power for no good reason is weak sauce for me.
    That's not a good origin.

King Grayskull: origin of the power, bigger than He-Man, stronger than He-Man, center point of the He-Man legacy.
    I mean no offense to it's creator when I say that King Grayskull comes off as a major Mary Sue legacy.

Hey, at least he didn't turn out to be an astronaut from earth who married the current-day Sorceress.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

LOL!
    I wouldn't be surprised if that happened in season 3 at the end.

That's when I would have gone on a rampage.
    ...well, maybe I would have calmed down if Total Eclipse of the Heart had played during the credits.
    Then I would have realized that life was a great big joke on all of us.

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Hmmm why did the power bypass Randor and Keldor?

Simple, the Power of Grayskull only affects blonde people so Adam and Adora are perfect vessals.

Actually they're the only blonde main characters... it must be true.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Meh, poor photography, it could've been a blue/green/gray, I've seen the pics too. But I like your take there man!
    All hail the superior Grayskull found in Mark Taylor's first sculpt!

Poor photography? Doesn't look that bad to me.

And c'mon, you're gonna tell me the creator of Grayskull didn't intend for it to be gray? Why call it GRAYskull? That makes no sense! But obviously a flat gray painted castle would be boring, so they added some highlights to make it look more detailed and interesting. Plus greens and blues look very good on grays.

Just because we didn't see the kids or a bump in her belly in the 20 min. episode, doesn't mean that changes the story they've told us.
    But by that standard, ANYTHING can be applied to any of those episodes, as long as one of the creative team says so.
    Ian Richter or whoever could come out and says "Teela actually kills Jitsu with a sledgehammer. That's why he didn't show up in the show. You never saw it, but that's why in that one episode Teela seems upset." Or whatever.

See what I'm saying? I don't care about what the creators TELL us, if you didn't SHOW it onscreen, I can't necessarily buy that's what the intention was all along. And so if they're just making it up semi-randomly as they go along, that's lame, IMO.

But I stand by my points I've made as hopefully they're based on official information that we have received.
    But see, that's my problem. Just because something is "official information" doesn't make it the best story. And a lot of what was once "official information" (ie. mini-comics, Filmation) has been thrown out the window. So what happens when another MotU creative team comes in? All the MYP canon could get scrapped too, just as easily.

I just can't buy that with so many cooks, and a series which frequently did episodes entirely based on lame Mattel toys, that everything was thought out carefully enough to make sure it was not only the best storytelling, but holds up to scrutiny.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Meanwhile in the classic canon, the power inside Grayskull itself could be used by anyone good or evil who managed to get into Grayskull and access the power, hence why Skeletor and why other baddies wanted it as well.
    Grayskull was a place of great mystery that housed the greatest power in the universe.
    Yep, this is exactly how I prefer to view Grayskull as well.
    Who knows where the castle came from? Not important.
    What's important is that the power within it is so great that it must be protected from getting into the wrong hands.
    Otherwise, what's the big deal with letting Skeletor into Castle Grayskull?
    He doesn't have the Power Sword, so he can't tap into any of the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    And c'mon, you're gonna tell me the creator of Grayskull didn't intend for it to be gray? Why call it GRAYskull? That makes no sense! But obviously a flat gray painted castle would be boring, so they added some highlights to make it look more detailed and interesting. Plus greens and blues look very good on grays.
    Hum I don't want to ruin anyones party. Whatever Taylor wanted the castle to be grey or not (to be honest I don't think they had even thought about that, they just painted it "stone") he has nothing to do with the origin of the name.
    According the Donald Glut (firt 4 minicomics' writer) he (Glut) named the castle after his wife's last name, Gray

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Interesting, thanks for that clarification!
    I think I had heard/read that before.

Look, all I'm saying is that if it were bright red, or rainbow colored, no way does it get called "Grayskull".

That'd be like calling the Wind Raider the "Blue and Pink Supermajig Flyer" when it's orange and green.

Regardless, IMO we haven't had an adequate explanation as to why the castle is named after this particular king.

I just assumed as a kid that the green castle toy was supposed to represent moss and lichen covered stone, and it was actually gray stone at its core.

That was my thought anyway.

But since the toy was green, every interpretation of it ever seen thereafter was going to be green no matter what.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Ugh. That's another thing I really don't like, which we've discussed before.
    King Grayskull just had the power... that's it, it was just there.

IMO, a much stronger concept is power from inside Castle Grayskull is granted upon a user.

Someone just having the power for no good reason is weak sauce for me.
    That's not a good origin.

King Grayskull: origin of the power, bigger than He-Man, stronger than He-Man, center point of the He-Man legacy.
    I mean no offense to it's creator when I say that King Grayskull comes off as a major Mary Sue legacy.
    I feel exactly the same way. What King Grayskull does is completely cheapen the entire concept.

Like you said, the power was just "within" him. This does not enhance the back story of Castle Grayskull at all. It just downgrades He-Man -- the main character of Masters of the Universe. No longer is He-Man the first of his kind. He is now a low-dose copy of the gigantic King Grayskull. Looks, powers, hell even a Battle Cat! The 200X should have used He-Ro instead of creating a highly unnecessary new character.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I feel exactly the same way. What King Grayskull does is completely cheapen the entire concept.

He is now a low-dose copy of the gigantic King Grayskull. Looks, powers, hell even a Battle Cat! The 200X should have used He-Ro instead of creating a highly unnecessary new character.
    I agree and disagree. I think more should have been done to distinguish KG from He-Man. Different hair colour, different colour for Battle Lion as green and yellow has been done. Overall the conception felt lazy.

I agree with why they added him, to give He-Man a sense of history, Grayskull more history, hell even the Snakemen and the Council of Elders. However with such little reference back to this after the episode, it never strengthened it.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

I like the general idea behind King Grayskull, but its execution wasn't done well enough, especially concerning the design which makes He-Man look like a weak King Grayskull wannabe.
    I see the problem of the power that Skeletor seeks being "only" the power which King Grayskull found in himself. On the other side, I liked the idea that every person somehow could ascend to higher powers but so far only King Grayskull managed to do so. I hat a bigger problem with the Elders transforming into that orb.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    I love the new bios and King Grayskull but I need to unwrap my brain around the the continuity set in the 200x stuff and instead keep strictly to the bios as it's clearly a whole new continuity with inspiration from all the previous canons - trying to merge them all just makes my head hurt.....

Same for me, as someone who`s addicted to all aspects of MOTU it`s hard to stop thinking 200X canon and follow MOTUC, maybe it`ll get easier as we get more bio`s