Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FISTO in MOTUC Speculation/Discussion

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar

FISTO in MOTUC Speculation/Discussion

So far, the MOTUC cardback bios have been culling from different source material, but the MYP toon seems to be a big one.

I know this very well could be wishful thinking here, but since it didn't officially confirm it in the toon, I really hope that Mattel dumps the "Fisto knocked up the Sorceress and Teela is the result" storyline.

I also think his being MAA brother is very forced, but doesn't bug me as much as the former.

And a good thing about these designs being so inspired by the Classic figures, he'll have a relatively normal-sized fist, so we'll be spared the (IMO) bad idea of Fisto being born with an abnormally huge fist for some reason.
    Even though he and Duncan are brothers, supposedly, but Duncan's anatomy is somehow perfectly normal.

Huh?

Anyway, since Fisto has long since been one of my very favorite MotU characters, I really hope Mattel seizes this opportunity to give us a better, fresh take on Fisto's backstory.

As far as the figure design goes, I'll be quite happy with the "standard".
    That is, a fairly faithful update of the Classic design.
    That said, I wouldn't HATE it if he came with two swords: one purple Tri-Klops sword (who we're sure to see released sooner or later) and a second 200x version.

Speaking of 200x, it would be kind of cool if Mattel made a variant (50/50, maybe?) version with the 200x headpiece.
    And to further differentiate, maybe one version could have a painted fist, and the other a chrome one.

I would buy at least one of each without a second's thought.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Red or brown Hair? Thatīs the question!

I'm hoping some of the MYP stuff gets jettisoned, in particular the bios for Fisto, Zodak, and Sy-Klone.
    I loved the origins for Two Bad and Stinkor and don't mind the MYP stuff being used for the new carbacks for those two guys, but I didn't like Fisto being MAA's brother, didn't like his fist being that large since birth, and HATED the idea of him being Teela's father (much in the same way I hated Zodak being a mystic who's brother was eaten by King Hssss or Sy-Klone being a guardian of an island full of secret martial arts weaponry or whatnot).
    I think some of the MYP stuff was genius, and other stuff- well, they could have done better.
    I hope Mattel comes up with some better ideas, though I realize originally there wasn't much thought put into who these characters actually were when they first appeared in the '80s.
    I do know that I prefer Zodac being a cosmic enforcer, Sy-Klone also having a spacey motif what with his costuming and the radar dish in his chest, and Fisto being... well... I'm not sure, but something other than MAA's bro and Teela's pop... LOL.
    Last edited by zodak74; December 7, 2008 at 09:01am.

Eh, I don't want any more Fisto chase figures, but as I said I wouldn't mind a variant that is just as easily obtainable and the regular one.

The different hair color could be added to my list of sword and fist changes.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    (much in the same way I hated Zodak being a mystic who's brother was eaten by King Hssss or Sy-Klone being a guardian of an island full of secret martial arts weaponry or whatnot).
    Cool to see we're on the same page regarding MYP's take on Fisto!

It will no doubt be interesting to see what Mattel does with Zodac's bio.
    Are they going to say he's the same Zodak from MYP, with the brother/King Hiss thing?
    That would be bizarre if so, since they look nothing alike except for the helmet and vest.

IMO, Mattel should (as I and other fans do) consider Zodac and Zodak as separate characters.
    C being the cosmic, and K being the mystic.

I actually liked that Fisto was duncan's Brother and teela's father in the MYP toon. TO mee it just added another layer to the MOTU mythos.

If I remember correctly, in the original toon, teela's father was just some random, nameless warrior that the sorceress hooked up with. To me, by making Teela's father a character we already knew it made the story more cohesive. This also added to Duncan/Teela's relationsnip in that even though Duncan is Teela's adoptive father, there is still a blood connection between them.

I do agree with the fist thing, though. I much prefer that Fisto has two normal sized fists, and wears a super big metal fist as a weapon.

Heroic Warrior
    Fisto will always be MAA's brother to me.

I like the idea, and I think it works.

I quite liked the 200X story with Fisto, but completely understand how/if it disappointed some fans.

As far as a Classics Fisto goes, bring him on. Some good suggestions above. Personally, i'd like to see some kind of focus still on the fist, even if it were not to be an oversized one like 200X, I think it definitely needs to be the drawing point of the toy. Without the original's action feature it needs to have a good 'look' to make up for it, otherwise you run the risk of it just looking like a guy with a gauntlet on.

But as long as he has a [hotfuzz]great big bushy beard[/hotfuzz] i'm sold!

Quote Originally Posted by upinout202 View Post
    I actually liked that Fisto was duncan's Brother and teela's father in the MYP toon. TO mee it just added another layer to the MOTU mythos.
    Then why stop there? Why not have Zodak and Snout Spout be brothers?

Ram Man can be Tri-Klops' uncle, and Buzz-Off and Sweet Bee are cousins.

This is BORING storytelling IMO, especially when it was something clearly retconned.
    It's Soap Opera Writing 101: kill off a character, change or reveal someone's identity, have a character get pregnant, or reveal that two previously non-related characters are family.

It's just too easy and unimaginative IMO.

This also added to Duncan/Teela's relationsnip in that even though Duncan is Teela's adoptive father, there is still a blood connection between them.
    Totally disagree! If there is a blood tie, it doesn't make it nearly the selfless act that it is if he's not even related to her at all.

If they say anything about Fisto being Teela's real father, I won't buy him on principle. I'm not a big fan of the brother of MAA thing either, but I can tolerate that part.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Me too! I hated this poor story telling. Lame! Battle Cat and Panthor are brothers too

My preference would be for Mattel to ignore all 200x references unless its a specific character who debuted in that series. This is the "Classics" line, and I'd like them to keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Then why stop there? Why not have Zodak and Snout Spout be brothers?

Ram Man can be Tri-Klops' uncle, and Buzz-Off and Sweet Bee are cousins.
    Those examples are completely off base and not even close to the same thing. Establishing teela's true parentage is a matter of interest since we already knew Duncan was Teela's adoptive father and the Sorceress was her mother. Even as a kid, I always wondered who teel's dad was, but I certainly felt no need to make familial connections to any old random characters.

This is BORING storytelling IMO, especially when it was something clearly retconned.
    It's Soap Opera Writing 101: kill off a character, change or reveal someone's identity, have a character get pregnant, or reveal that two previously non-related characters are family.

It's just too easy and unimaginative IMO.

So going by your logic, Adora and Adam should have never been twins, as that falls under your Soap Operea 101 concept, and was clearly retconned in when the Secret of the Sword was made...

It's not like This type of thing happens in every episode. This is a one off situation where a hole existed in the mythos that was plugged up in a (IMHO) creative and enjoyable way. Besides, instead of Fisto just being some random guy with a big fist, his character now has more depth and purpose in the overall story.

Totally disagree! If there is a blood tie, it doesn't make it nearly the selfless act that it is if he's not even related to her at all.
    Actually, I think taking care of and raising your wayward brother's child as your own is an extremely selfless act.

Either way, we are both entitled to our opinions, and both opinions are valid.

I'm hoping some of the MYP stuff gets jettisoned, in particular the bios for Fisto, Zodak, and Sy-Klone.
    Ditto... I wasn't a fan at all of MYP's character development in general- particularly those three characters- and Marlena as well. There were a few characters that I thought they hit the nail on the head with (another member mentioned Stinkor and Two-Bad). I thought it was a shame that Marlena's depiction was so uninspired- even if the Earth origin was frowned upon, much more should have been done with her. The Skeletor/acid scenario seemed to be on the goofy/redundant side as well- and was disappointed to see it alluded to in his bio section on the new MOTUC card. Ah well! It's hard to please everyone though... so as long as characters like Fisto, Zodak, Marlena, etc... see release in the new line, that will be what matters most for me.

Quote Originally Posted by upinout202 View Post
    Those examples are completely off base and not even close to the same thing. Establishing teela's true parentage is a matter of interest since we already knew Duncan was Teela's adoptive father and the Sorceress was her mother. Even as a kid, I always wondered who teel's dad was, but I certainly felt no need to make familial connections to any old random characters.
    My POV is that sometimes it's best to KEEP wondering about something like that, and keep some element of mystery there.

It just doesn't make sense. Bird-goddess-lady has a kid with huge-handed freak of nature, and Teela is their kid?

So going by your logic, Adora and Adam should have never been twins, as that falls under your Soap Operea 101 concept, and was clearly retconned in when the Secret of the Sword was made...
    Yeah, it was definitely retconned, but I didn't say that kind of stuff should NEVER happen.
    IMO it should be used sparingly, and when you have a real reason for it.

Besides, Adora's story is such an interesting one that they made an entire series based on it.
    It's not a random designation just for the heck of it.

It's not like This type of thing happens in every episode. This is a one off situation where a hole existed in the mythos that was plugged up in a (IMHO) creative and enjoyable way. Besides, instead of Fisto just being some random guy with a big fist, his character now has more depth and purpose in the overall story.
    But they didn't even CONFIRM that he's her dad in the episode!
    So apparently even someone at MYP wasn't totally convinced, and wanted to leave some wiggle-room in case they didn't want to go that direction.

And by the way, since we've never known a thing about him really, saying ANYTHING about Fisto's backstory is adding more depth to his character by default, so that's not anything noteworthy about the Teela/Sorceress connection.

This is right off the top of my head, but here's a much more interesting backstory, IMO:

Fisto as a roaming general with a small band of faithful warriors who have sworn allegiance to him.
    Given Fisto's look, costume design, etc, that would be a way to sneak in some of the more "traditional" elements of LOTR-type sword and sorcery that you can't do with characters like Roboto or Whiplash who are way too fantastic. Fisto and his men would be like the Rohirrim from LOTR.

They come to the aid of the Masters during a particularly vicious battle with Skeletor during which Fisto's loyal steed is tragically killed.

In return for being so instrumental in turning the tide in favor of our Heroes, Man-At-Arms personally constructs a "thank you" gift for Fisto in the form of a robotic horse.... named Stridor.

Fisto and Duncan as buddies, and comrades-in-arms? That's fine.
    Brothers? Just boring IMO. Sorry.

Actually, I think taking care of and raising your wayward brother's child as your own is an extremely selfless act.
    MAA doesn't know whose kid it is anyway, but if the audience knows it's his niece, that doesn't have quite the same impact as Duncan raising a "stranger" and loving her unconditionally, as if she were his blood.
    Last edited by Lay Ze-Man; December 7, 2008 at 11:59am.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I really hope they do not say he's Teela's father. I'd really hate that, as would a lot of others. I think the backlash against Mattel would be quite considerable.

I like the classic "soldier who died in battle so Eternia could be free" for Teela's dad. I didn't mind the brother thing though.

As for hair colour, I say a brownish red mix. No variants needed. As for Zodak, they should make a black one with tattoos (glow in the dark would be wicked!) and a caucasion. I mean, that's definately 50/50 variant worthy if you ask me.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Agreed. I hate the father bit.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

i personally like that MAA and fisto are brothers.

being teela's dad? not a bad plot development. i'd have rather had MAA be her REAL dad and MAA didnt actually know but took care of her anyway.

it does get tricky when everyone starts to become related(im looking at you heroes tv show and star wars universe!) and the world gets smaller.

but this is really only 2 families and they happen to be key families.

randor's family

sorceress' family

it makes sense they would intertwine and be expanded upon.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Eh, I don't want any more Fisto chase figures, but as I said I wouldn't mind a variant that is just as easily obtainable and the regular one.

The different hair color could be added to my list of sword and fist changes.

Cool to see we're on the same page regarding MYP's take on Fisto!

It will no doubt be interesting to see what Mattel does with Zodac's bio.
    Are they going to say he's the same Zodak from MYP, with the brother/King Hiss thing?
    That would be bizarre if so, since they look nothing alike except for the helmet and vest.

IMO, Mattel should (as I and other fans do) consider Zodac and Zodak as separate characters.
    C being the cosmic, and K being the mystic.

I like that idea, in real life people have the same or similar names!

Plus, Zodak would be an easy character to make, it would pretty much be Zodac's head on He-Man's body recoloured, and the armour as well
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I don't particularly mind either version, and I honestly doubt that once a Fisto figure appears, no one will care what they say his origin is so much as how awesome he is.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Being Man-at-Arms brother is fine with me. Having him being Teela's real father though is not. You start entering Star Wars territory, where everyone is related, and it gets cheesey.

And yeah... please drop the silly "big fist" story from MYP. I like him having two normal hands, and he wears a fist as a weapon on one. I could even dig it being an artificial hand, because he lost a hand in combat (...cut off by "The Swordsman", perhaps...)

Even though he and Duncan are brothers, supposedly, but Duncan's anatomy is somehow perfectly normal.
    Nothing unusual about that. There is no reason that all siblings would share a common birth defect or a mutation. Sure the possibility is higher due to them coming from the same parents, but still not real likely.

I used to work with a guy who was born with only 1 hand. Otherwise he had no other health issues at all. All of his siblings had 2 hands.

Stuff happens.

Without a cartoon or comics to tell stories, all the character histories are are just a few lines on the back of a card. So to me it doesn't really matter what the bios are - if I disagree with what Mattel has decided, then I'll just ignore it.

I agree with Captain Atkin normal hands with a large fist attachment.

Seriously?? I loved Sy-klones origin story. It really worked well with the character imo.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Fisto is one of my favorites so I really feel the need to weight in on this one.

Hair color - BROWN. Brown all the way.

Fisto - Teela's Dad? Lame. Ewww. No thank you.

Man-At-Arms and Fisto brothers....eh...it's okay, but I'd rather have them be two soldiers who served together and grew close as kinsmen. Now that is cool.

Fisto has a actual giant fist? That is terrible IMO. He should have an artificial hand. I don't want two normal hands because that would lend to him being able to removed the glove and I don't like that either. artificial hand is the best way.

Oh...and a mention of Stridor would be AMAZING!
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!