Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seems there are TWO different MOTUC He-Man heads

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar

Seems there are TWO different MOTUC He-Man heads

Version 1 seems to be cast in brown plastic and painted with a heavy, glossy fleshtone paint that obscures some of the sculpting details and has a shiny, even sweaty look. This is the version that AFI got for the first look review, as seen HERE, and it's the version I got as well.

Eamon ordered two, and got one of each style.
    His Version 1:

Version 2 remains to be detailed on the exact construction of it, but it's far more matte-looking, better preserving the original sculpted details on the head sculpt.

Here's Eamon's Version 2:

Guia X's version may or may not be as matte as some Version 2's, but it's definitely more sharp-looking than a lot of the Version 1 pics I've seen.

Not to make TOO big of a deal out of this, but I really think we need to get to the bottom of this.
    I for one STRONGLY prefer the Version 2 look, almost to the point where had I known about the change, I wouldn't have ordered how I did without being guaranteed the version I wanted.

IMO, this is a bad precedent to set, since in theory this line wasn't supposed to have chase figures or variants (yet, anyway), but if this is shown to be an actual production change and not just random, it is definitely a variant!

Also, considering these aren't available in stores, that we can't see which one we want and are just sent one at random, that is pretty unfair IMO.

What happened, Mattel?
    And are you willing to accept exchanges for unopened figures?
    Last edited by Lay Ze-Man; December 8, 2008 at 01:48pm.

Hey there, Lay Ze-Man!

I consider myself to be a lucky fan as I have both versions here! I bought a few He-Man figures and am seriously considering buying more. I actually like both looks on this figure.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

So, does this confirms THERE ARE 2 versions of He-man indeed...?
    COSTA RICA: NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS!

Court Magician
    Also, from the pictures I can see that the red on his armor was very badly painted.

Were they shipped from different locations? or both came from the same place?

If this is true, and it's not simply a variance in paint application (I'd be interested to see if, when you pop off the head, if you can tell what color plastic they were cast in,) I'm not sure how it'd work for someone to specify which one they wanted. The differences seem VERY subtle to me... so having the workers pick it out visually would be next to impossible (and if people thought stuff was getting backed up before....)

Also, I'm thinking this would be more of a production-run change, which isn't really the same thing as a variant. Although I suppose collector's sometimes turn this into a variant situation, official or not.

I'm trying to look at mine and figure out which one I have. I think it's the more matte version, as I'm not seeing any of the glossiness or color variation some people are saying they see. But again I'm not overly convinced yet it isn't just a paint application variance - maybe it was just going on thicker for some of them then others or something. Not saying it isn't POSSIBlE, just skeptical.

About the heads though.... how many people have tried to pop theirs off? I tried and... it's really hard! The plastic of the head is very hard with little give and I'm worried about damaging the figure so I've just left it alone.

Hi,

I have 10 He-man figures and i can't for the life of me see any difference between any of them, sorry but even in the pictures you're comparing two different shots, one indoors and one taken outdoors.

I think this is close to splitting hairs, sorry, not trying to insult anyone but these figures are great.
    Most Powerful Man In The Universe

Heroic Warrior
    I wonder if it's due to the change they made on attaching the armor, if they pumped out a bunch of test heads in the brown that ended up being used in production along with the final version heads in the correct flesh tone plastic once they were finalized..... just a guess.

In can see a variation between the pictures from the link and the pictures we can see here but I think the he-man shown on the other website was a figure preview. The official version is slightly different from it but I think all the figures sold officially are the same so there aren’t any 2 official he-man heads IMO.
    Last edited by Khror; December 8, 2008 at 06:10am.

All three of my He-mans all look the same. I can't really say if mine is like Eamon or not. His seems like it's really matte. Whereas mine has a little shinyness to him but not even close to the shinyness of the review photos or even the second He-man pic he posted on the other thread. So I don't know if there are two versions. Maybe the mixture of the paint varied slightly as they produced them. Some batch turned out more glossy. Manowar or Khror theories seems reasonable as well.

Well who knows, maybe I'm just seeing things.

But BCI Guy also said the two he got were like Eamon's.

I guess I'd have to see some close-ups of yours Guia, but mine

definitely looks more like the AFI version or the figures.com version.

Hopefully Eamon and/or BCI Guy will weigh in with more specifics soon.

In an Island off the coast of The Evergreen Forrest
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post

Also, I'm thinking this would be more of a production-run change, which isn't really the same thing as a variant. Although I suppose collector's sometimes turn this into a variant situation, official or not.

This sounds just about right, dont make a fuzz out of it.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Not to sound daft here Lay-Ze, or to make anyone else sound like it, but...

To me it seems as if we're not talking two individual different paint-apps. We're talkin' 4-5 different ones. That's the feeling I'm getting, as if the factory got better at applying the paint the longer the run went.

That means the last two versions will be almost invisible in difference to the naked eye, so to speak. I don't feel this can really be called a variant, as it's a progressive change, sort of like how a mold degrades trough-out manufacture, but in reverse, kind of.
    Last edited by Predabot; December 8, 2008 at 11:06am.

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Not to sound daft here Lazy, or to make anyone else sound like it, but...

To me it seems as if we're not talking two individual different paint-apps. We're talkin' 4-5 different ones. That's the feeling I'm getting, as if the factory got better at applying the paint the longer the run went.

That means the last two versions will be almost invisible in difference to the naked eye, so to speak. I don't feel this can really be called a variant, as it's a progressive change, sort of like how a mold degrades trough-out manufacture, but in reverse, kind of.
    My thoughts exaclty.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

I think you should post both of my MOC pics Lay Ze-Man so folks can compare them more easily.

My girlfriend as hid mine away now as not opening them was driving me mad!!
    But I would say that the matt faced He-man was painted in flesh and not moulded. I really can't be certain until I open them though.

We need to see what BCI Guys sees in both of his.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

OK, done, I just edited the first post.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    It may be as simple as the factory ran out of paint mix one and then started using paint mix two, with one winding up as a flatter finish. May even be they were done at different factories. From what I know, Mattel doesn't provide them with the paint, they go by Mattel guidleines. From what we learned in the lead debacle last year, there are secondary suppliers who provides the paint to order, so maybe two different suppliers provided two different paints the same color.

I do see the advantage of the flatter paint, though; it does look better. Maybe Mattel can find out what went right in that case and do it for future releases.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    It may be as simple as the factory ran out of paint mix one and then started using paint mix two, with one winding up as a flatter finish. May even be they were done at different factories. From what I know, Mattel doesn't provide them with the paint, they go by Mattel guidleines. From what we learned in the lead debacle last year, there are secondary suppliers who provides the paint to order, so maybe two different suppliers provided two different paints the same color.

I do see the advantage of the flatter paint, though; it does look better. Maybe Mattel can find out what went right in that case and do it for future releases.
    Sounds reasonable to me. I popped the head off one of mine and it's definitely a brown plastic if you look deep enough into his "brain".

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    He-Man head Eamon Version 2 (non-shiny, lots of red around the eyes) looks AWESOME, but kind of looks like he was beat up, drunk or a drug addict. In short, He-Man looks like he's at the end of a HUGE battle.

I really like this head, but I hope they do release a happier, friendlier He-Man head too. He-Man is a happy guy when he's not kicking around evil butt.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

they look the same to me .

I must have been lucky because I got a figure with a matt face and good wig application.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...os/011-1-1.jpg

The only problem I have is that all of my leg joints have become floppy and He-Man keeps falling over! :hesad: But due to the good paint job and well positioned hair piece there is no way I am sending him back, I will just have to wait for some MOTUC stands on mattycollector to become available! LOL
    Last edited by Angel-T; December 9, 2008 at 12:39am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    It more than likely has to do with just normal production variance. Youc an't make evry figure the same day, so from day to day the paint apps are going to vary a little.

All mass produced toys have some paint variance. I'm sure there are several different ones.

I ordered 2 He-Mans and 2 Beast Mans and there's a variance in both from their counterpart but more noticeable on He Man.

I think they look great though.

Quote Originally Posted by customcrazy View Post
    It more than likely has to do with just normal production variance. Youc an't make evry figure the same day, so from day to day the paint apps are going to vary a little.

All mass produced toys have some paint variance. I'm sure there are several different ones.

I ordered 2 He-Mans and 2 Beast Mans and there's a variance in both from their counterpart but more noticeable on He Man.

I think they look great though.
    The point is that one version of He-man has a painted face while another has a moulded flesh coloured face.
    That's a quite a production change and worth looking into methinks. Especially when one looks better than the other.

I ordered a third backup He-man just in case anything happend to my other order so it will be interesting to see what version I will get.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

If I can't trade my double for a matte head, I'm kind of considering ordering a third out of curiosity to see if I can get one based on the luck of the draw.

But I shouldn't have to order $60 + shipping worth of figures to get ONE figure that I want.

If there was this big of a change (enough so that fans on message boards can spot it via photos) then Mattel should've spotted this on pre-production samples or during production itself by someone at the factory in a supervisorial role.

What good was the delay on He-Man if it wasn't for working out bugs just like this?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    The point is that one version of He-man has a painted face while another has a moulded flesh coloured face.
    That's a quite a production change and worth looking into methinks. Especially when one looks better than the other.

I ordered a third backup He-man just in case anything happend to my other order so it will be interesting to see what version I will get.

Ok, I missed the part about one being molded flesh tone. I thought we were discussing a paint variant.

That type of thing occurs a lot if more than one factory is used, and some times they do whats called "a running change" where the first ones coming out of production there is something they want to tweak so they do for the next production run.

It's pretty normal quality control stuff in any mass produced figure.

Both my He-Man's have painted heads but they aren't as glossy as a lot I've seen, they look nice.

i still have yet to read or see a picture of a he man head molded in flesh tone. until then, to me, it is just a minor production run that seems to be over embelished .
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!