Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Character Selection: Too Predictable/Not Exciting Enough?

Movie mayhem!
    I wish this fan-mockup really showed what we'd be seeing soon...

Last edited by Patreek; December 9, 2008 at 05:19am.

Everytime I see that She-Ra I seriously want to cry! I so wish she had come like that!
    Last edited by Angel-T; December 9, 2008 at 05:34am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I totally agree as well - there is NO reason why we cannot get Scare Glow, Count Marzo, Green Goddess, Spikor, Pop characters later this year as those won't have too many new parts and can easily reuse the base bodies of the ones released eariler.

I would like more excitement in this line....

I completely agree with you, twinAJ1. I hope they put off releasing Zodac for a while. I was just kinda' bored with him. I want the next release to really shake things up - hell, a He-Ro shouldn't require too many new parts. I think releasing him would go a long way toward creating more excitement for this line.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by Kidnatedogg View Post
    TwinAJ
    I completely agree with you. I find the first lineup of figures to be very boring. To have the first waves be the same as the last two incarnates of MOTU is not just predictable but ..... I feel the this line would do way better if it was more diverse. I agree... yawn with starting with He-man and beastman and skeletor. But to start with the whole 8 back 1st is not revolutionary what so ever. I have great worries of this line not making it because of the starting line up.
    Most of us have at least 2 versions of each of these figures and I am very hesitant to buy a 3rd version of each when I don't think the line is going to make it to the more obscure characters that either haven't even had a toy yet or never had a 200x version. I love the new style of the line I love my king greyskull and I look forward to he-man and beastman arriving. I just get the feeling they are going to release in the same order the original line and the 200x line was released in. I do want teela but I would way prefer frosta or sorceress before her just to be different. I am not a huge POP fan I never collected them because of the barbie side to the line. I never got into New adventures as a kid. We already got one MYP character so I can't complain about wanting those 1st as much as I want my Faceless One complete with alternate human head.
    I just wish the would mix things up more like you are saying. It would have me interested in these characters I was never interested in as a kid.

We are all going to have to spend at least $200 on this line to support it buying the 8back characters in hope we will get the others later down the line. Because the starting line up consist of the usual suspects I really am not excited about the line like I wish I was. Yay another He-man and skeletor and another beastman and another stratos and another merman and another faker and another manatarms..... my toy collection is not lacking in these characters. I do want classics versions of them all but I would have rather waited for some of them so I could get Spikor Modulok Catra and Stonedar. Those would have me excited.

I am going to buy one of each that they release to support the line but I am not even looking that forward to the 1st 6 toys and that is absurd we should have been given a lineup to create a buzz.

Oh well what do we know after all Mattel always knows best with MOTU don't they.

N8
    Still waiting for my He-man and beastman to arrive but I don't mind waiting because I already have so many versions of them....
    thank you you took the words right outta my mouth.i feel more fans would be more excited if the line up were different .i wish we would have got hordak in he-man's place.i also would prefer the sorceress first instead of teela.the line-up is everything and people will get more excited for characters we havnt seen in either figure from since the 80s(spikor) or no figure at all(evil seed).perhaps this is mattel playing it safe.

Movie mayhem!
    Picture above is by IllicitJedi. It is of two characters I would LOVE to see soon in the MOTUC! I think IJ did great job with the "teaser" though!

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    A Peekablue would be AWESOME!

It just made sense before to get the order that we had because the cartoon introduced them that way, and the cartoon was supposed to sell the toys. This is a line solely for collectors who know going in who all these guys are already. So does it need to be in the same order? I think casual fans are going to buy their 8-backs and then become inconsistent in what they buy afterward and bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by twinAJ1 View Post
    Actually no. To clarify I was making an example. To be blunt, I want Teela 1st, way more than the Sorceress, and Frosta is not one of my favorites at all. Actually, I didn't like her when I was a kid. I'm indifferent to her. I was just making an example because she's so popular in the She-Ra fanbase and she has more warrior traits having offensive powers. She's a POP warrior than blends in a little better with MOTU. We still haven't seen the Four Horsemen make one of them yet. That was my point. It'd just be different.
    Oh, OK. My fault then.

I still say that female characters are a hard sell and not as popular as many fanboys want to believe. Female figures have always sold less than male figures. I think Sorceress, Teela, She-Ra, and Evil Lyn will all do fine, but beyond them I don't know if Mattel should even try any females until the line is completely established and doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Oh, OK. My fault then.

I still say that female characters are a hard sell and not as popular as many fanboys want to believe. Female figures have always sold less than male figures. I think Sorceress, Teela, She-Ra, and Evil Lyn will all do fine, but beyond them I don't know if Mattel should even try any females until the line is completely established and doing well.
    In defense of Princess of Power characters, they already save a lot of money on tooling since virtually none of them have different body types. The only new pieces are the heads/hair, forearms and boot trims along with possible weapons. Their outfits will likely be like glued on armor, like how 200x Teela, Evil-Lyn, and She-Ra all used the same base body. You can argue if you want She-Ra to be more buff or Glimmer to look younger, but all 15 major POP women can use pretty much ONE body type. And they can share it with DCUC (Hawkgirl and Angella for example). They're already saving money right from the start.

I also completely agree with you twinAJ.

The figures are beautiful, but the character selection is a yawn.

And in regards to female figures, not even Neca or Sideshow make a lot of women.

As much as I hate to admit it, it seems a lot of adult collectors have the same feelings as kids when it comes to their collecting habits. And it's nothing against women themselves, simply a case of men associating more with male characters from...whatever license.

Then ofcourse you have all the gay guys (which includes myself). We often associate just as well with women as we do men, so we're always wanting more female figures!!

I do think they need to mix it up some. Some figures like Scare Glow, Spikor, and Horde Trooper I think would probably sell just as much or more so than characters like Zodak and Stratos. I don't think there is much risk involved for at least some of the figures that came later in the original line.

I totally agree with twinAJ1 as well. I mean the last go around at Motu wasn't that long ago and we don't want to see the same exact characters being made again (not that I don't want them eventually). But come on throw some surprises in there to really get the line going. If they don't keep the interest up the line will fade away.

Queen Marlena, Shadow Weaver are two great characters that the hardcore fans would go bonkers for if they got made. We have only been waiting since the 80's to own them. I hope we get a female before 2010.

I also think that maybe they should put the figures in sets. Like hero vs villain, it would cut the cost down and we could get 2 figures per month vs. one.

Originall from Milwaukee, WI. Just moved to St. Pete, FL
    I agree with the idea that the release schedule should be more varied. It would be a lot more fun to see these characters released in a completely new and unexpected order.

I also agree with the idea of build-a-figure pack-ins. It helps us get an extra figure every 5 or 6 months (Maybe save the torso/head for the last one) and it would help sell figures that might otherwise not garner as much interst. Maybe the build a figure could be someone like Man-At-Arms, someone popular enough that casual fans will buy all the less-popular figures to get the popular one.

Heroic Warrior

My first post ever . . .

This is my first post on this forum. I tried posting a couple of times during the past month, but I always got a message that I wasn't allowed to post yet.

First, who I am. I was a kid in the '80s and loved He-Man toys more than any other. I still remember the Christmas when I was four years old. I got He-Man. My brother got Skeletor (half-boot!). Castle Grayskull was for both of us. Those toys were so cool. My birthday is only a few weeks after Christmas. My parents added Mer-man and Battlecat to my collection. I was too young to be a "collector" in the 80s. My He-Man collection was hit and miss in terms of who I had. But I loved them all.

I have never "collected" a toy line as an adult. I was a freshman in college when Kenner did its relaunch of Star Wars and bought a few of the figures at the time. I was a new graduate student in 2002 when I noticed the re-launch of He-man. I was very tempted but money was tight. I was also a bit confused about what was in the line. I didn't know about the MYP cartoon. But I thought the many versions of He-man and Skeletor were over the top. I was always annoyed with Batman toys (never bought a single one) because there were so many version of Batman. Which one was the definitive one? Lame. I got that vibe from the 2002 He-man line. That plus the money thing made me steer clear. There were some great figures. But it was too much at the time.

I can't even remember how I heard about the new line, but I'm PUMPED for it. I got both versions of King Grayskull. My orders for He-man and Beastman are in. I'm going to buy every figure in this line. Why? Because I was tempted in 2002 when I had no kids and no money and only kinda liked the figures. The MOTUC sculpts are incredible. I can't wait to finally have a replacement for He-man's gray power sword that I lost over 20 years ago.

On top of all this, I now have a four year old daughter who loves the Filmation He-man but who is OBSESSED with She-ra. She's getting an on-the-card Star Burst She-ra for Christmas that I snagged on Ebay for cheap. And she will open it (GASP!). This has been a long-winded response to the OP, but I wanted to explain where I'm coming from.

I would LOVE to see Mattel mix it up during the first year. I'll buy one of each of the male figures. But I'll have to buy two Teelas, two She-ras and, ESPECIALLY two Frostas. My daughter giggles every time she looks at the back of She-ra Season 1 Vol. 2 and sees the look on He-man's face when Frosta is putting the moves on him (which episode is that, by the way? I can't seem to find it on the DVDs).

As a kid, my brother and I had most of the 8-back figures. I want stuff I didn't get when I was a kid. I want Horde Troopers, I want Hordak, I want the Sorceress (I'll probably have to buy three of her--my daughter is obsessed, but I haven't talked myself into taking the plunge yet on Ebay), I want Spikor, etc.

This has been long. But I agree with the OP. How cool would a Count Marzo be? By the way, I've seen most of the MYP cartoon at this point. I would love figures of the secondary characters. But I wouldn't be too thrilled with a MOTUC version of the standards from the 200X line. Call it the version-aversion. Thank goodness there are no chases in this line.

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post

Queen Marlena, Shadow Weaver are two great characters that the hardcore fans would go bonkers for if they got made. We have only been waiting since the 80's to own them. I hope we get a female before 2010.
    My daughter begs me every other day to buy Shadow Weaver for her. She doesn't get that they've never made one. And alas, they probably never will, right? She's Filmation, right? I'd probably have to buy four Shadow Weavers. One for me to play with. One for my daughter to play with. And two to replace the one for my daughter after she, inevitably, loses or breaks it.
    Last edited by Ntumbuluku; December 10, 2008 at 12:39am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Ntumbuluku View Post
    This is my first post on this forum. I tried posting a couple of times during the past month, but I always got a message that I wasn't allowed to post yet.

First, who I am. I was a kid in the '80s and loved He-Man toys more than any other. I still remember the Christmas when I was four years old. I got He-Man. My brother got Skeletor (half-boot!). Castle Grayskull was for both of us. Those toys were so cool. My birthday is only a few weeks after Christmas. My parents added Mer-man and Battlecat to my collection. I was too young to be a "collector" in the 80s. My He-Man collection was hit and miss in terms of who I had. But I loved them all.

I have never "collected" a toy line as an adult. I was a freshman in college when Kenner did its relaunch of Star Wars and bought a few of the figures at the time. I was a new graduate student in 2002 when I noticed the re-launch of He-man. I was very tempted but money was tight. I was also a bit confused about what was in the line. I didn't know about the MYP cartoon. But I thought the many versions of He-man and Skeletor were over the top. I was always annoyed with Batman toys (never bought a single one) because there were so many version of Batman. Which one was the definitive one? Lame. I got that vibe from the 2002 He-man line. That plus the money thing made me steer clear. There were some great figures. But it was too much at the time.

I can't even remember how I heard about the new line, but I'm PUMPED for it. I got both versions of King Grayskull. My orders for He-man and Beastman are in. I'm going to buy every figure in this line. Why? Because I was tempted in 2002 when I had no kids and no money and only kinda liked the figures. The MOTUC sculpts are incredible. I can't wait to finally have a replacement for He-man's gray power sword that I lost over 20 years ago.

On top of all this, I now have a four year old daughter who loves the Filmation He-man but who is OBSESSED with She-ra. She's getting an on-the-card Star Burst She-ra for Christmas that I snagged on Ebay for cheap. And she will open it (GASP!). This has been a long-winded response to the OP, but I wanted to explain where I'm coming from.

I would LOVE to see Mattel mix it up during the first year. I'll buy one of each of the male figures. But I'll have to buy two Teelas, two She-ras and, ESPECIALLY two Frostas. My daughter giggles every time she looks at the back of She-ra Season 1 Vol. 2 and sees the look on He-man's face when Frosta is putting the moves on him (which episode is that, by the way? I can't seem to find it on the DVDs).

As a kid, my brother and I had most of the 8-back figures. I want stuff I didn't get when I was a kid. I want Horde Troopers, I want Hordak, I want the Sorceress (I'll probably have to buy three of her--my daughter is obsessed, but I haven't talked myself into taking the plunge yet on Ebay), I want Spikor, etc.

This has been long. But I agree with the OP. How cool would a Count Marzo be? By the way, I've seen most of the MYP cartoon at this point. I would love figures of the secondary characters. But I wouldn't be too thrilled with a MOTUC version of the standards from the 200X line. Call it the version-aversion. Thank goodness there are no chases in this line.

My daughter begs me every other day to buy Shadow Weaver for her. She doesn't get that they've never made one. And alas, they probably never will, right? She's Filmation, right? I'd probably have to buy four Shadow Weavers. One for me to play with. One for my daughter to play with. And two to replace the one for my daughter after she, inevitably, loses or breaks it.
    Welcome to the boards!

And let me say that's a pretty solid first post.

It's always good to hear about the little ones taking an interest in MOTU.

It just made sense before to get the order that we had because the cartoon introduced them that way, and the cartoon was supposed to sell the toys. This is a line solely for collectors who know going in who all these guys are already. So does it need to be in the same order? I think casual fans are going to buy their 8-backs and then become inconsistent in what they buy afterward and bounce.
    I agree! Fans know who the 8-backs are. Change it up!
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

One of the things that draws me to a figure line is strong female characters. I don't buy if they don't. This is a direct result of The Original Masters of the Universe line.
    I do like that they have broken the "8 back" order with Faker. He was a nice surprise.
    That being said I dont really think the line will be to much of a surpise no matter what the order the figures are released in. We all know the figures already.
    I'd love to get figures like Marzo, Scare Glow, & Sorceress sooner than later. I just dont see what figure should be pushed back to make room for it. The thing about the 8-back figures is so many of peoples favorites come from there. I mean personally I can wait for Man-at arms but he's alot of peoples very favorite. I wouldnt want to have to make people wait for their favorite
    so I can get a Scare Glow, Catra or The Sorceress sooner.
    I think after The 8-back with a FEW surpises thrown in a baf would be excellent idea. I think certian people would be more "able" to buy a pop or na figure if it helps build a cool big character.
    I personally believe The Four Horsemen will be able to breath coolnes into some less popular characters. In the 200x line I even bought Orko the 1st time I found him. I never cared that much for the character. All because they did a great job on him.
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

So if the casual fans are only going to buy the main characters, then might as well put them out first. If we only make it through 8 characters, I sure would rather have the 8 back release than gwildor, clamp champ, bow, and five other obscure or junk characters. I have a feeling I'm not the only one that feels that way either. Sure I would like to see other awesome characters come out before someone we've gotten a few times already. But I would rather not risk the line ending sooner because they choose to put out some random POP figure that 12 people are going to buy. They have to go with figures they know are going to sell better. It's that simple.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm happy with the original eight-back (possibly twelve-back) approach for the figures.

IF the figures had been released in waves/series (like what appeared to be the original intention), then I would have been happy to see some more obscure characters included (because it wouldn't have delayed those figures I really want and which I will actually buy). BUT with the "one per month" release schedule, I want the heavy-hitters released ASAP which means they'll pretty much take up the majority of the first year's worth of releases.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't love to see Hordak and She-Ra released sooner rather than later, but I don't really see it happening.

Cheers.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar

Again . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned the obvious:

We're getting the characters we're getting in this order because they're the easiest ones to make by reusing parts.

Remember the, like, entire basis for MOTUC?

I do agree that some A-list characters should be reserved, but the problem there is that the majority of the A-list characters are the early characters, which were the most part-sharing of the line.

As for MAA being next, not necessarily. Toy Guru said the 8-back wouldn't be the first 8 releases, and that was when Faker was an exclusive. So assuming he wasn't considering Faker a "normal" release at the time, we probably won't see Man-At-Arms and Teela one after the other after Mer-Man.

If He-Man through Mer-Man Stratos sales are good, I wouldn't at all be surprised by a somewhat "out of left field" selection for the May figure.

But without strong sales, we will NOT see investment in new bodies and parts for a while.

Just saying that if sales are "good enough," but not great, I'd expect Webstor, Fisto, Tri-Klops, and Moss Man well before Leech, Rokkon, Extendar, and Queen Marlena.

I disagree somewhat. My excitement comes from the figures themselves. I was excited to see every figure shown so far except Faker (which IMHO I think is a bad idea to have a repaint as a whole months figure). Given the sales driven nature of any toy line and especially this one, I do not subscribe to the idea that we should put the most popular characters on hold for less popular ones. Quite the opposite, I think we can and should only go with potentially strong sellers, especially this early in the line. We cannot have 'peg-warmers' and Mattel needs to make what will sell well. As you have said Characters like She-ra, Hordak, and Sorceress are popular characters and I wouldn't mind if they were introduced early on but I would still be a little perturbed with the idea of the line ending and not getting a particular 8 back. I thought it was lame to put Beastman before Skeletor but thats just me
    I think comparing MOTUC with DCUC is bad since, I would imagine that there are many more fans of DC than MOTU. So it would be easier to get away with making and selling tertiary characters. Just like with Star Wars or Transformers.
    As far as the idea about Frosta goes, I am not convinced that some of the other POP characters will sell well. I actually think quite a few of the POP and NA characters would have dismal sells (especially after the poll that .org did). I have no interest in Frosta and I have a feeling there are a lot of MOTU fans who feel the same and will not buy the figure (just like I don't plan on buying Faker). I think there is a reason Mattel is doing the 8 back first. The 8 back are most probable to be the most popular and sell well. I'm sure some will argue this but, I highly doubt any NA, or POP (Horde is not POP) character is more popular than any original 8 back with MOTU fans in general. I could be wrong though. All I know is, if Frosta were introduced before Teela I would be upset at the idea of the line possibly ending without Teela, simply because some want to assume the line will go on long enough to get another chance to introduce her into the line. On the other hand I personally could easily go without having Frosta. This is the major problem I have with fan picked line-ups for action figures. Fans tend to think this line will go on forever, sells will be phenominal even for ancillary characters and there will always be time to make the popular characters that we want. But look at any toyline recently and look at its average lifespan and I don't think it matches up with the 3-10 year fantasies fans have in their head; especially with collector based lines. I would point to SOTA's Street Fighter line as an example of this and how not to pick a line-up. I think Mattel is doing the right thing by getting the 8 back out of the way quickly.
    Last edited by Beeto Bot; December 10, 2008 at 06:42am.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeto Bot View Post
    I disagree somewhat. My excitement comes from the figures themselves. I was excited to see every figure shown so far except Faker (which IMHO I think is a bad idea to have a repaint as a whole months figure). Given the sales driven nature of any toy line and especially this one, I do not subscribe to the idea that we should put the most popular characters on hold for less popular ones. Quite the opposite, I think we can and should only go with potentially strong sellers, especially this early in the line. We cannot have 'peg-warmers' and Mattel needs to make what will sell well. As you have said Characters like She-ra, Hordak, and Sorceress are popular characters and I wouldn't mind if they were introduced early on but I would still be a little perturbed with the idea of the line ending and not getting a particular 8 back. I thought it was lame to put Beastman before Skeletor but thats just me
    I think comparing MOTUC with DCUC is bad since, I would imagine that there are many more fans of DC than MOTU. So it would be easier to get away with making and selling tertiary characters. Just like with Star Wars or Transformers.
    As far as the idea about Frosta goes, I am not convinced that some of the other POP characters will sell well. I actually think quite a few of the POP and NA characters would have dismal sells (especially after the poll that .org did). I have no interest in Frosta and I have a feeling there are a lot of MOTU fans who feel the same and will not buy the figure (just like I don't plan on buying Faker). I think there is a reason Mattel is doing the 8 back first. The 8 back are most probable to be the most popular and sell well. I'm sure some will argue this but, I highly doubt any NA, or POP (Horde is not POP) character is more popular than any original 8 back with MOTU fans in general. I could be wrong though. All I know is, if Frosta were introduced before Teela I would be upset at the idea of the line possibly ending without Teela, simply because some want to assume the line will go on long enough to get another chance to introduce her into the line. On the other hand I personally could easily go without having Frosta. This is the major problem I have with fan picked line-ups for action figures. Fans tend to think this line will go on forever, sells will be phenominal even for ancillary characters and there will always be time to make the popular characters that we want. But look at any toyline recently and look at its average lifespan and I don't think it matches up with the 3-10 year fantasies fans have in their head; especially with collector based lines. I would point to SOTA's Street Fighter line as an example of this and how not to pick a line-up. I think Mattel is doing the right thing by getting the 8 back out of the way quickly.
    Well, the idea I personally had was that this was a fan based line...that no one was an obscure character. Of course some characters are more popular than others. Then, this line has a gun pointed at MOTU fan's heads: If you don't buy these figures, then MOTU flops again, possibly for good. Knowing whats at stake, most fans vow to collect them all, even if it's only to keep MOTU afloat. All the fans know this. They really can't be picky. This is something that every POP, NA and 200X fan knows, and now the vintage fan will learn this too: Either buy figures you don't want or MOTU dies.

SOTA's Street Fighter line reached a point where they had too many popular characters created first, leaving them with C and D-list characters as the line progressed. The sales got lower and lower as the characters got more and more obscure. The line was reaching a point where the characters would have been too obscure to sell.

The LAST thing Mattel should do is make the most desirable figures up front. That strategy works for DCUC and it should work here.DCUC isn't giving you the whole Justice League in Wave 1. They have reached eight waves and we still don't have all of the major characters yet. Holding characters back keeps you looking at the line for the characters you want and gives the line longevity. People who didn't like POP or NA on general principle might spend money on those characters if the 4H's MOTUC approach to those characters happens to change their minds.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Again . . .
    Good. So let's put out the 8-back figures first and let "the majority of fans" get what they want and check out early. Brilliant!

And for the record, they won't wait to see how Mer-Man and Stratos sell before announcing the May figure. I'm sure all 12 from the first year have been decided. We just don't know them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Well, the idea I personally had was that this was a fan based line...that no one was an obscure character. Of course some characters are more popular than others. Then, this line has a gun pointed at MOTU fan's heads: If you don't buy these figures, then MOTU flops again, possibly for good. Knowing whats at stake, most fans vow to collect them all, even if it's only to keep MOTU afloat. All the fans know this. They really can't be picky. This is something that every POP, NA and 200X fan knows, and now the vintage fan will learn this too: Either buy figures you don't want or MOTU dies.
    I'm a fan since MOTU first came out and I don't plan on buying every figure and I've heard many say the same. I will not be buying Faker. At 20 bucks a figure I will be picky. The recent .org poll seems to support this idea. There are a large portion of people who will be picky like me in some way. About 1978 votes from fans that either will not collect at all or will be picky in some way compared to the 1595 votes for getting them all no matter what. Excluding those who won't collect at all because of sculpt style, you have 1788 who said they will be picky. Who knows how representative this poll is but, it does give us some idea of the fans opinions and buying plans. So, I'm skeptical of your claim that every fan is vowing to buy all the figures.

SOTA's Street Fighter line reached a point where they had too many popular characters created first, leaving them with C and D-list characters as the line progressed. The sales got lower and lower as the characters got more and more obscure. The line was reaching a point where the characters would have been too obscure to sell.
    The point is B, C and D list characters don't sell and do poorly with a small fan base. I think MOTU is more similar to Street Fighter in terms of fanbase than to DC comics. And no the SOTA street fighter line up was not littered with A list characters right away. Every wave of five included at least 1-3 B to D list characters. Most fans of Street Fighter are fans of the original SF II. Popular characters like Zangief, E. Honda, and Dhalsim never got made. The first wave included Sodom who warmed the pegs (C - D list). The second wave included T Hawk and Cammy(B-C list maybe even D for T Hawk). The third wave included Sakura, Adon and Gen (again B-D listers). The fourth wave included Birdie, Ibuki, Remy and F. long . Yet we never got the full lineup of Sf II until now with Revolutions we get Zangief, E. Honda and Dhalsim. All popular characters that should have been made. I mean seriously T. Hawk, Birdie and Sodom before Zangief. All the while fans were making these choices with the idea that we need to spread out the main characters for the line to sell well. Don't get me started on that mess of a line.

The LAST thing Mattel should do is make the most desirable figures up front. That strategy works for DCUC and it should work here.DCUC isn't giving you the whole Justice League in Wave 1. They have reached eight waves and we still don't have all of the major characters yet. Holding characters back keeps you looking at the line for the characters you want and gives the line longevity. People who didn't like POP or NA on general principle might spend money on those characters if the 4H's MOTUC approach to those characters happens to change their minds.
    I could be wrong but, I really don't think the fanbase for MOTU compares to that of DC comics. Again what works for DCUC most likely won't work for MOTUC if this is true. Star wars releases obscure characters all the time and does fine but, it is because of how large of a fan base they have. I really don't think this strategy of stretching out major characters will work for MOTUC and I point to SOTA's SF line as an example of a small collector fanbase not being able to support B-D listers.

Good. So let's put out the 8-back figures first and let "the majority of fans" get what they want and check out early. Brilliant!

And for the record, they won't wait to see how Mer-Man and Stratos sell before announcing the May figure. I'm sure all 12 from the first year have been decided. We just don't know them yet.
    I just wonder if there is support for these ancillary characters from POP and NA. I'm skeptical of the idea that they can be shoved down the collectors throats and will sell in the way they need to.
    Last edited by Beeto Bot; December 10, 2008 at 07:49am.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeto Bot View Post
    The point is B, C and D list characters don't sell and do poorly with a small fan base. I think MOTU is more similar to Street Fighter in terms of fanbase than to DC comics. And no the SOTA street fighter line up was not littered with A list characters right away. Every wave of five included at least 1-3 B to D list characters. Most fans of Street Fighter are fans of the original SF II. Popular characters like Zangief, E. Honda, and Dhalsim never got made. The first wave included Sodom who warmed the pegs (C - D list). The second wave included T Hawk and Cammy(B-C list maybe even D for T Hawk). The third wave included Sakura, Adon and Gen (again B-D listers). The fourth wave included Birdie, Ibuki, Remy and F. long . Yet we never got the full lineup of Sf II until now with Revolutions we get Zangief, E. Honda and Dhalsim. All popular characters that should have been made. I mean seriously T. Hawk, Birdie and Sodom before Zangief. All the while fans were making these choices with the idea that we need to spread out the main characters for the line to sell well. Don't get me started on that mess of a line.
    If we got all the SF2 characters immediately the line probably would have been over alot sooner. SOTA is usually regarded as the best SF line ever because of all the characters that they have made that have never had figures before. We got Ryu, Ken and Chun Li numerous times. But Fei Long? T. Hawk? SOTA's SF line was awesome for SF2 fans, but bad for Alpha fans and even worse for SF3 fans.

MOTUC seems to be shaping up the same way. The FOURTH version of characters that have been released--Vintage, Commemorative, 200X and now MOTUC. Awesome for the vintage heads, but terrible for the rest of us who want the other eras as well. Imagine if MOTUC never gets to make those other era from that slideshow? MOTU might as well go back to the jungle barbarian days when there were only 7 characters...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)