Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Character Selection: Too Predictable/Not Exciting Enough?

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by twinAJ1 View Post
    Good. So let's put out the 8-back figures first and let "the majority of fans" get what they want and check out early. Brilliant!

And for the record, they won't wait to see how Mer-Man and Stratos sell before announcing the May figure. I'm sure all 12 from the first year have been decided. We just don't know them yet.
    You're probably right about Mattel knowing most if not all of the 12 figures they're planning on releasing, but if you expect half of those to be obscure characters that require many new parts that we haven't seen yet, you're not understanding the business platform of this line so far.

And that said, if Mattel releases Stinkor in May, King Randor in June, and Ninjor in July (all characters pretty easily made with the parts we have) and too many casual collectors "bail" until Teela or Man-At-Arms or Hordak comes along, we may not even get that far.

It's a tricky balance, but bottom line is that these first figures have to sell really well or we will never get characters that need extensive new parts.

For better or worse, MOTUC is going to have mirror the Classic line, which introduced extensive new tooling only AFTER sales of the "basic" figures were through the roof.

However, all that said, the 4H are some tricky dudes, and I could see them being able to make Spikor with a basic body + removable spiky "armor" suit, a new head, and new weapon. That kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    You're probably right about Mattel knowing most if not all of the 12 figures they're planning on releasing, but if you expect half of those to be obscure characters that require many new parts that we haven't seen yet, you're not understanding the business platform of this line so far.

And that said, if Mattel releases Stinkor in May, King Randor in June, and Ninjor in July (all characters pretty easily made with the parts we have) and too many casual collectors "bail" until Teela or Man-At-Arms or Hordak comes along, we may not even get that far.

It's a tricky balance, but bottom line is that these first figures have to sell really well or we will never get characters that need extensive new parts.

For better or worse, MOTUC is going to have mirror the Classic line, which introduced extensive new tooling only AFTER sales of the "basic" figures were through the roof.

However, all that said, the 4H are some tricky dudes, and I could see them being able to make Spikor with a basic body + removable spiky "armor" suit, a new head, and new weapon. That kind of thing.
    I want them to be released pretty close to the original release, they need to release the major characters first. I doubt DCU would release Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent before Superman or Batman.

Well... I really don't know how I feel. Partly excited that we have new MOTU figures. But I really do dislike that whole 1 figure a month. I still think 2 a month would be better. Plus I think it would be better to get to some other characters other than the card back 8. I agree with some that this line needs a bit spiced up. We need someone made. And when we see said figure. It's like OMG! Remember when we did see the Prototype He-Man at Comicon? I want that feeling again. I really think it's time for us to see a female released. We need to see how the ladies will look! At least an idea! I mean The male character. We get the idea on how they look. I want to see Teela. I want to see how she will look. Right now she is the only character I want to see. Other than the Sorceress of course. Mattel needs to show us the honeys!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

What will be interesting is to see how Beast Man's sales compare to someone like Stratos or Faker or Zodac's sales.

What I mean is, some people might have passed on Beast Man this month since 2 figures at once was out of their price range.

Skeletor is a must-have, and Mer-Man might generate unusual sales from fans buying multiples due to the 2 heads.

But if Beast Man's sales are on par with those figures, maybe Mattel can see that "the market" will support their releasing two figures a month if they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    If we got all the SF2 characters immediately the line probably would have been over alot sooner. SOTA is usually regarded as the best SF line ever because of all the characters that they have made that have never had figures before. We got Ryu, Ken and Chun Li numerous times. But Fei Long? T. Hawk? SOTA's SF line was awesome for SF2 fans, but bad for Alpha fans and even worse for SF3 fans.

MOTUC seems to be shaping up the same way. The FOURTH version of characters that have been released--Vintage, Commemorative, 200X and now MOTUC. Awesome for the vintage heads, but terrible for the rest of us who want the other eras as well. Imagine if MOTUC never gets to make those other era from that slideshow? MOTU might as well go back to the jungle barbarian days when there were only 7 characters...
    Like I said I have a sore spot when it comes to the SF line. I do think the line would have and should have been over sooner if they made the popular characters and I think SOTA would have made more money and more fans (who didn't participate or even know about the votes) would have gotten the figures they actually wanted. The bottom line is the SOTA SF line was far from a sucess and left huge holes like Zangief and E Honda that were never filled till just now. Heck Akuma just barely made it in the final 4th wave. That line dragged on after the second wave. I don't think many would point to SOTA and SF as a model for running a line and I sure hope Mattel doesn't. And I know many SF fans who felt very unsatisfied by that line.
    Also, I don't know of numerous incarnations of Ryu, Chun Li, etc because figures in the US had only been done by Resaurus before (not counting GI Joe) . 5 out of 20 unique figures from SOTA's line were from Alpha and that is not including overlapping characters like Ryu, Chun Li, Ken etc who tended to look more like their younger alpha versions. If SOTA's line behaved like MOTUC is now, all the characters from the original SFII would have been made first instead of the other characters and they probably would have sold well. I think MOTUC is behaving quite the opposite of SOTA's approach and I'm glad for it.
    Do I think we can fit POP and NA characters in? Yes, and I hope Mattel does for the fans of those franchises but, I think they need to think very hard about it and pick characters that will help the line sell and not drag sells down. I also think it needs to be done rarely. I see no reason why major popular characters should get left out of this line and not have priority. I just think Mattel needs to make what sells well.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

At least those fans who "bail" will keep checking for Teela and Hordak. If they get Teela and Hordak, screw the rest of the line. They won't look back.

After the 12 back how do we know that the majority of fans won't "bail" since there's nothing keeping them interested anymore? At least holding back characters gets them to at least look at the latest figure of the month to see who it is. And surprise, they might actually like a character who they might have never thought they'd purchase.

If you make the star characters first this line will most likely die, with a whole bunch of C TO D list characters who never get made.

I'd rather MOTUC try to do what it said it was trying to do, and be the ultimate MOTU line, instead of being the fourth coming of the 12 back.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeto Bot View Post
    Like I said I have a sore spot when it comes to the SF line. I do think the line would have and should have been over sooner if they made the popular characters and I think SOTA would have made more money and more fans (who didn't participate or even know about the votes) would have gotten the figures they actually wanted. The bottom line is the SOTA SF line was far from a sucess and left huge holes like Zangief and E Honda that were never filled till just now. Heck Akuma just barely made it in the final 4th wave. That line dragged on after the second wave. I don't think many would point to SOTA and SF as a model for running a line and I sure hope Mattel doesn't. And I know many SF fans who felt very unsatisfied by that line.
    Also, I don't know of numerous incarnations of Ryu, Chun Li, etc because figures in the US had only been done by Resaurus before (not counting GI Joe) . 5 out of 20 unique figures from SOTA's line were from Alpha and that is not including overlapping characters like Ryu, Chun Li, Ken etc who tended to look more like their younger alpha versions. If SOTA's line behaved like MOTUC is now, all the characters from the original SFII would have been made first instead of the other characters and they probably would have sold well. I think MOTUC is behaving quite the opposite of SOTA's approach and I'm glad for it.
    Do I think we can fit POP and NA characters in? Yes, and I hope Mattel does for the fans of those franchises but, I think they need to think very hard about it and pick characters that will help the line sell and not drag sells down. I also think it needs to be done rarely. I see no reason why major popular characters should get left out of this line and not have priority. I just think Mattel needs to make what sells well.
    Akuma was the headliner for that wave. He was locked in for a choice, so he was automatic. The idea was that so long as SOTA could have a major character headlining a wave, the other 4 lesser characters would make it to store shelves under that character's star power.

The fans voted for the waves in the SF line, with SOTA making the choices. The goal was a labor of love for the SF franchise. The president of SOTA wanted to make EVERYONE in the SF canon. SOTA knew as soon as the SF2 cast was completed that the line was over. That's why the more popular characters were spread out. So that we could get the obscure characters made.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 10, 2008 at 12:59pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

At least those fans who "bail" will keep checking for Teela and Hordak. If they get Teela and Hordak, screw the rest of the line. They won't look back.
    But if they keep checking while sales of C-list characters are tanking, they'll soon be checking out a "MOTUC is cancelled" thread.

After the 12 back how do we know that the majority of fans won't "bail" since there's nothing keeping them interested anymore?
    Well, at least we have a decent, cohesive-looking core cast display.

And surprise, they might actually like a character who they might have never thought they'd purchase.
    It's possible, but in that case, they would do the same whether they bought Teela before or after.

I'd rather MOTUC try to do what it said it was trying to do, and be the ultimate MOTU line, instead of being the fourth coming of the 12 back.
    Third, technically.

NA actually did what you guys are suggesting, fill up the ranks with a bunch of D-list characters nobody's ever heard of.
    And we all now how awesome that line sold.

But again, you guys are forgetting that we are NOT getting the 8-back as the first 8 releases.
    And that we'll see at least one new character in 2009!

I think we should wait and see what happens a little before we get so alarmist.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeto Bot View Post
    You make some good points about the Street Fighter line. I didn't collect any of them, but I kept myself updated on who they were making, and there were too many obscure characters. SFII was the horse for the Street Fighter universe, and they didn't pay enough attention/homage to them.

That's what makes me think MOTUC might be doing the right thing by getting people on board with some favorites. If people don't like anyone other than the 8-backs, it's not going to matter when the lesser-knowns are released; they'll pass no matter what. But if some big guns are released now, and people collect them, they'll have a little more incentive to keep collecting the line, and they'll have not "gone away" in between while the obscure characters were being released before the big guns.

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar

I think we're kind of on the same page. My point wasn't about not releasing strong sellers. My point was to change the order. Hordak, King Randor, and the Sorceress are all strong sellers in MOTU lore, but they've always come later, if not at all. All of them would have parts that could be used for other characters (especially Randor), require minimal new tooling, and can satisfy a fans need for recognizable characters. If the line isn't selling well, I don't think they would pull the plug overnight. If the line died or was dying and we still hadn't gotten Man-At-Arms, for example, they'd make him before stopping altogether because he's a heavy hitter and his "recipe" is so cost-effective. Scott and the Four Horsemen are fans. They wouldn't let the line go without finishing the 8-back. That's crazy talk.

My point using POP was that Mattel themselves presented the line at NYCC and SDCC as an all-encompassing line, and they were the ones throwing Marzo, Marlena, Adora, He-Ro etc. out there as possibilities. They're the ones who got fans hopes up, and up to now hasn't had one of those characters to show for it. So why put them up in the first place? I'd be disappointed if all those guys are only going to be exclusives per convention, like King Grayskull. This line was supposed to feel more inclusive than previous takes and so far, I like it. I'm an MOTU fan. Of course I love these guys. But again, I've seen these before. This doesn't feel new to me at all, but that's how the line was pitched.

As for Street Fighter, those toys were pretty amazing until the management at SOTA went downhill. Those figure were awesome in their time!

My point was to change the order. Hordak, King Randor, and the Sorceress are all strong sellers in MOTU lore, but they've always come later, if not at all.
    I wouldn't mind Randor early on (really the only comparably cheap of your three examples) but really, I think a lot of fans would moan about we just got TWO different Stactions, and we got KG and He-Man, why do we have to get these boring normal dude characters, where are the monsters, the ladies, etc.

Now, once we see the female buck, then we can start to think about what other female characters can be made easily, but really, I think if there are particularly "easy to make" characters that are C or D-listers, then we should speak up and be loud and clear which ones we want before others.

I'm kind of in the boat of "I like pretty much ALL the characters/eras, especially once I see the 4H take" so I'm kind of easy to please on character selection I guess.

If the line died or was dying and we still hadn't gotten Man-At-Arms, for example, they'd make him before stopping altogether because he's a heavy hitter and his "recipe" is so cost-effective. Scott and the Four Horsemen are fans. They wouldn't let the line go without finishing the 8-back. That's crazy talk.
    I wish I had the same optimism that you do!

Especially after it went up for pre-order, I'm sure there were a lot of fans saying that there "was no way we wouldn't" get that Khan/Faker 2-pack.

This doesn't feel new to me at all, but that's how the line was pitched.
    Mattel did kind of create that mess on their own, but they chose "better pitch" over "more accurate info".

They should have been more forthcoming and say "Just so you know, we're doing the 'easy' characters first, BUT we'd love to get to all these obscure characters!!!" instead of "Here they all come!"

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar

After the 12 back how do we know that the majority of fans won't "bail" since there's nothing keeping them interested anymore? At least holding back characters gets them to at least look at the latest figure of the month to see who it is. And surprise, they might actually like a character who they might have never thought they'd purchase.

If you make the star characters first this line will most likely die, with a whole bunch of C TO D list characters who never get made.

Exactly. Fans who are waiting for their favorites will check in every time a new figure is announced and will most likely pick up a character or two that they wouldn't otherwise. Mattel can't overwhelm everyone with c-listers, but if they leave them until the end, they will once again go missing as the line ends.

The 8-back are all heavy hitters for me.
    But that's me.

That's not the case with all fans. And knowing that, getting the 8-back out early or first even doesn't mean there aren't more heavy hitters down the line.

Spikor, Mossman, Faceless one, all could be heavy hitters in their own right because we've screamed for them in the past, and we still have threads and wish lists full of these kinds of characters that were once b,c or d list characters, but they've moved up substantially simply because everyone wants a 4HM Spikor or Scare Glow or Frosta in their figure collection.

I do see the charm though that you point out Aj, about mixing up the overall release schedule so as to not carbon copy the original, or even the 200X release schedule.

I wouldn't mind... (hehe, after getting the 8-back) having a DCUC style mix up of characters... I'd love a release schedule like the following:

(after the 8-back)

She-Ra
    Man-E-Faces
    Flogg
    He-Ro
    Mantenna
    Frosta
    Illumina
    Triklops
    Rattlor

Such that it's totally random and awesome to see who's next. I would say most of us thought that's what this line was all about when we first heard about what it was to be, when Scott showed folks at the cons that the line would cover all the eras of MotU and PoP.

I agree with you AJ, the lineup should shock and surprise us... But I throw the wrench of "After the 8-Back" simply because it's my preference. It's my bias, my opinion, my wishes. I'm totally selfish with the 8-back admittedly and I want to be sure we get all of them before this line has a chance of failing and not continuing. Why?

Because for me and MotU... You can't get more "CLASSIC" than the 8-Back characters.

Just imagine what any given year of MotUC could look like?

Flutterina
    Ramman
    Modulok
    NA Skeletor
    Squeeze
    Queen Marlena
    Leech
    Extendar
    Mekaneck
    Trap Jaw
    Glimmer
    Count Marzo
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

And a point about DCUC and how obscure those characters are.

They have the highly-desired and very cool Collect and Connect figures.

You can guarantee that fans have shelled out for 2 or even 3 characters they didn't want just to be able to complete their Solomon Grundy or Metallo.

Not the case in MOTUC. Especially at this high price, if you don't love the character, or are immediately wowed at the 4H take on it, then you pass, and do so quite easily. No extra incentive for you to buy a character you're not crazy about.

This is why C and D-list characters can be particularly dangerous with a line like MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Such that it's totally random and awesome to see who's next.
    Yeah, that would be pretty awesome, that's kind of how the Stactions were.

Since there was so much "fair game" there, it was exciting to anticipate what the 4H were going to throw out there next.

And with MOTUC, we have nothing BUT "fair game" pretty much, so once the line really gets up and running and tooling dollars are less of an issue, it will be totally sweet to think about who might be coming our way.

(Man, I miss the Stactions. )

You can guarantee that fans have shelled out for 2 or even 3 characters they didn't want just to be able to complete their Solomon Grundy or Metallo.

Not the case in MOTUC. Especially at this high price, if you don't love the character, or are immediately wowed at the 4H take on it, then you pass, and do so quite easily. No extra incentive for you to buy a character you're not crazy about.

This is why C and D-list characters can be particularly dangerous with a line like MOTUC.
    This is very true. DCUC has more wiggle room with obscure characters because of the Collect and Connect figures and because they're at mass retail. MOTUC is online only (at one site) and has no CaC. Comparing DCUC and MOTUC at this point is almost like comparing apples and oranges.

I admit I have not bought one figure yet, it's just too much rehash for me personally at this point. I mean I did the original 80s version through the eyes of a child, super bulky WWF looking wrestlers in fantasy setting was okay at time. I rediscovered my childhood and bought them sealed again around 1991-1995. I then did the Commemorative line. I fully supported 2002 relaunch with its more realistic body types and put up with some of the worst packaging and ratios in the history of toys.
    I loved and bought all stactions as well. So by this point to pay over $20 for retro 80s figures I already have multiple versions of but now with a slight modern articulation twist released in the same fashion during an economic meltdown is as unappealing as it gets.
    I feel bad in a way but I have to be true to myself. POP, any new filmation characters that they might have rights to still are my only hope I suppose but it seems the purpose of this line is rehash not to fix or reinvent so I fear the final door that leads to barbiedom and figures that do not look like the toon.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    It is a bit predictable, but I expect it to get more interesting for the second part of the year. I think part of the reason they've lead with the figures they did would be that, even if the line ended after six figures you'd have six, solid characters who are well-remembered (thanks to the cartoon) even to the general public.

That way you weren't stuck with He-man, Skeletor, Frosta, Gwildor, Spikor and Extendar. Don't get me wrong, I'd love all of those - but if that's where the line began and ended and I got no Man-At-Arms I'd be sad.
    No you see, I wouldn't be, I have a couple of MAA from the last lot of figures, so whilst a MOTUC one would be cool, I'd rather see the likes of Frosta or Marzo
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

The more I think on it, the more I really like the 8-back coming out first.
    It's a safe start. With it's share of big guns and less popular characters.
    And if all we are able to get are the 8-back, it makes for a nice complete collection on it's own.
    As the ball rolls out for this line, and it proves successful I'm sure the releases will diversify. But for now I can understand why the 4HM and Mattel have chosen to pull largely from the 8-back at first. It does make a lot of sense. Both for the reuse in parts, but also who the characters are.
    Yeah, it follows the same formula of the original line and the 200X line, but if I'm not mistaken... That lineup didn't contribute to either line's failures. It's a solid lineup.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

My point using POP was that Mattel themselves presented the line at NYCC and SDCC as an all-encompassing line, and they were the ones throwing Marzo, Marlena, Adora, He-Ro etc. out there as possibilities. They're the ones who got fans hopes up, and up to now hasn't had one of those characters to show for it. So why put them up in the first place?
    I agree it would be cool to see some other different figures early on.

Just because the 30 fan boys that were at the panel when those characters were shown were very vocal about them doesn't mean everyone collecting the line would be as stoked as they were. Thats just the simple truth to it. Obviously the majority of people at those panels are die-hard fans, and would buy ANY figure made.

Great, we get it, some of the people here on He-man.org would like to see Marlena first. That doesn't mean that the people who don't come to this site, or post here feel the same way. Mattel has to count on all those other people more than just us that post here. Most of us will buy anything. The casual buyer from some other site won't.

I won't be mad if Adora doesn't get made. But I will be if Scare Glow deson't get made this time around. I WANT other characters too, but I want the ones that are going to sell better. I don't want this line to end cause of duds that some huge fan boys want.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    I agree it would be cool to see some other different figures early on.

Just because the 30 fan boys that were at the panel when those characters were shown were very vocal about them doesn't mean everyone collecting the line would be as stoked as they were. Thats just the simple truth to it. Obviously the majority of people at those panels are die-hard fans, and would buy ANY figure made.

Great, we get it, some of the people here on He-man.org would like to see Marlena first. That doesn't mean that the people who don't come to this site, or post here feel the same way. Mattel has to count on all those other people more than just us that post here. Most of us will buy anything. The casual buyer from some other site won't.

I won't be mad if Adora doesn't get made. But I will be if Scare Glow deson't get made this time around. I WANT other characters too, but I want the ones that are going to sell better. I don't want this line to end cause of duds that some huge fan boys want.
    But wasn't this a line for the fans anyway? When did MOTUC have to cater to people other than He-Man fans? Obscure fan requested He-Man characters was what made this line something more than another way to re-release the 8 and 12 back characters. It's like the bottom line of this line is changing all the time.

I think people are forgetting that the 8 or 12 back character parts are needed for many of the subsequent figures. By releasing the bigger names first that Mattel knows people will buy, (casual and die-hard alike) and then releasing more obscure characters later that not everyone will buy, their cost will effectively even out, meaning they can produce less of the obscure figures, but still make $$$ on them by not having to pay for as many new molds/tooling. (ie - their profit margin should remain steady even though fewer figures may sell)
    This space for rent, apparently.....

I totally agree with you here. After the initial release of the 8-back I think a collect and connect a figure gimmick would get people buying and giving other characters a chance, especially if it is for something like battle cat, or Granymr(think I spelled that wrong

But wasn't this a line for the fans anyway? When did MOTUC have to cater to people other than He-Man fans? Obscure fan requested He-Man characters was what made this line something more than another way to re-release the 8 and 12 back characters. It's like the bottom line of this line is changing all the time.
    So only people that post here can be he-man fans? No one said the line was catering to those who aren't fans. My point was not all fans post here, or visit this site regularly.

Honestly, if some of the fans here got to choose the line up for these first 6 figures it would probably look something like this.

Adora
    Count Marzo
    Queen Marlena
    Scare Glow
    Green Goddess
    He-ro

Sure a few of those would be sweet to get. But would they allow the line to take off like the lineup we have now? Hahah. Scare Glow and He-Ro maybe.

Heroic Warrior
    first of all I believe they ARE mixing it up a bit.

1) First character was brand new never made before (king grayskull)

2) Beastman is getting released before SKELETOR?!?! What kind of crazyness is that?

3) ZODAK?!?! He's about as c/d list as you can get.

My personal goal for this line is pure nostalgia. I want all the toys I had as a kid. More importantly I want the ones that I couldn't get or broke and couldn't replace. MOST of those were original 8 back. I'm excited about getting a new merman and MAA. Heck MAA was my first figure (along with He-man). He was stolen when I was 5 and my mom had a strict "no replacement" rule. I'm really looking forward toward getting a new version of HIM too. I'll be really annoyed if the line ends before I get a new trapjaw or Triclops (one of my FAVORITE bad guys.... he had a sword!)

Important things to remember is that

1) the 8 back sells. It has the most popular characters and are guaranteed sellers.

2) Nearly every question asked to Toyguru gets replied with "If the line sells well"

3) Mattel is run by corporate businessmen who honestly do not care about you. They do not care if you get every figure YOU want. The first time they see a hit on their $ is when the line dies. regardless if you explain that Teela is scheduled in 6 months so we should hold off for her..... Nobody bought Gwildor... Lines done.

It makes perfect sense to get some massive heavy hitters out as fast as you can. get a lot of money in the line and THEN see if we can shake it up a bit.

Between Grayskull, Zodac and Beastman as the first Enemy, they ARE trying to shake things up.... a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    first of all I believe they ARE mixing it up a bit.

1) First character was brand new never made before (king grayskull)
    Fair enough.

2) Beastman is getting released before SKELETOR?!?! What kind of crazyness is that?

3) ZODAK?!?! He's about as c/d list as you can get.
    Those guys are still 8 back characters.

Important things to remember is that

1) the 8 back sells. It has the most popular characters and are guaranteed sellers.

2) Nearly every question asked to Toyguru gets replied with "If the line sells well"

3) Mattel is run by corporate businessmen who honestly do not care about you. They do not care if you get every figure YOU want. The first time they see a hit on their $ is when the line dies. regardless if you explain that Teela is scheduled in 6 months so we should hold off for her..... Nobody bought Gwildor... Lines done.

It makes perfect sense to get some massive heavy hitters out as fast as you can. get a lot of money in the line and THEN see if we can shake it up a bit.
    I believe if the 8 back gets put out first, then sales will start out strong, then will dwindle until the line is done. By spreading the strong characters out, you keep the line strong. Instead of strong buzz that turns sour in a year, I'm thinking long term continuous profit. No doubt some months will be stronger than others (Hordak vs Gwildor), but at least the line will stay steadier than "Make all of the cool characters that sell and then flop because you can't sell the lesser characters". You give the fans too much too soon, that's ALL the profit Mattel will make.

I still say mix it up. The line will be boring if we stick to the same old routine.
    Don't forget that the Horsemen have not disappointed us yet. When they do Frosta or NA characters they will look so cool that it won't even be up for discussion. People who aren't interested in the characters will still get them.

I'm a firm believer that if the sculpts look awesome (which I know they will) people will buy them. I still think that if they do a build a figure it would help out. Or just do 2 packs and pack a popular/main character with a not so expected/well known character.

I will be purchasing every figure regardless because I want to support this line. I hope everyone else does the same, this could be the Mattel's last attempt to do something with the figures. If it fails I don't see another relaunch happening again.