Thread: He-Man 2002 Cartoon Series Bible by Michael Halperin

He-Man 2002 Cartoon Series Bible by Michael Halperin

Some exciting stuff for He-Man cartoon enthusiastics and 200x fans!

Over at He-Man.org's cartoon-section for MYP He-Man series, under Documents Library are now not one, but two early Series Bibles as written by Michael Halperin!

They are not entirely the same. First version has some lines changed or omitted from Second version, so I encourage you to take a look at both.

Early Cartoon Series Bible

Early Cartoon Series Bible - Extended Version

According to producer Ian Richter (from Mattel), they approached Michael Halperin in 2000, after they had seen his original Series Bible for Filmation (1982) and asked if he could write a new one.

From 2011 Power-Con. Michael Halperin spoke on the Mike Young Productions Panel:

"So I went back to my original notion, and I expanded on it, somewhat."

"Later, after I developed this. Mattel asked me if I could come up with some storylines... And I came up with 25 storylines for the first season... None of which Mike [Young Productions] used (laughs)!"
    Michael Halperin also explained that the reason his storyline-ideas were not picked up, were because at the time when he worked on them, it was meant as a more serialized story narrative. Which may get handled poorly in syndication when episodes are aired out-of-order.

Eventually MYP did have a continuity based story in the show, but perhaps not as tight as their original plans...

Personally I'm so glad to finally get these online for everyone to read. Here's a quick breakdown on my experiences with these....

At first I only knew of one early Bible-pitch by Halperin, with the gracious help of Danielle "Penny Dreadful" Gelehrter. Which includes the storyline suggestions from Halperin. Been sitting on it for some time as luck would have it, it was for the better.
    - Now to my surprise, as I was uploading this Series Bible, and there was a delay, which required checking the bible-copy... it turns out that there was an EVEN EARLIER version from Halperin (thanks to Val)!

It bears repeating, but imagine my surprise!
    Sadly I don't know why Halperin wrote two bibles, but I hope to interview him in the near future about these to learn more. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully you guys will enjoy these! As a 200x fan and especially cartoon lover, I found these fascinating bits of history and providing a cool take on things. Some things I wish would have actually made it to the cartoon-series, while some I'm glad were not picked up.

Some example pages from the Extended Version:

AWESOME!

Thanks so much for finally posting these in public!
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Awesome!
    Thanks for sharing these with us.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Trap Jaw had a son? And Teela was actually going to discover He-Man's secret? I wonder what the Fotress of Liberty was going to look like?

Not too crazy about Skeletor's father...

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Skullator?

seriously?

SKULLATOR?

and people say Skeleteen is bad?
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Skeletor's grandpappy was actually going to be called Skeleskull. His great grandpappy was to be Skulleskel.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Nicely done Jukka! Now the world can know about SKULLATOR!

It seems everyone wanted to give Skeletor skull-faced family members in the assorted pitches.

Skullator
    Skeletrix
    Funnybone
    Hunnybone
    Skeleteen

It's a sitcom waiting to happen.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I wonder what the Fotress of Liberty was going to look like?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

άber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Gardolphus, King of the Dwarves sounds like a really cool addition.

Heroic Warrior Matthew L. Martin's Avatar
    I've been waiting for this for years, and I'm glad to finally see it. It's a fascinating look at alternate ideas; the concept looks like a blend of 200X, the original series, the plans for the unproduced Season 3, and a few ideas that never got followed up (like Skullator). A lot of the character descriptions made it into the final version of the series bible, Kronis makes his first appearance here, and some of those plot threads look like they were used in some way. ("Hero by Another Name" sounds similar to "Trust" in the broad strokes.)

Frankly I love the idea of Skullator. I prefer Skelletor being Keldor, Randor's brother and son to Miro. It is more interesting to me. however Skullator could be a great idea. Sultress & Skullator.

I only read what was posted in the thread but it reads like I should read the whole thing. I love the alternate histories, the "what could have been"s.

as to people constantly bombing these names like Skullator (or Skeleteen) it's just so tiresome as everyone else always usually points out we have Fisto & Skeletor & names like that, these are certainly no worse and fit perfectly. Reminding people of that is also tiremsome, but the idea any of these names are poor is silly considering the history of the property and the demonstrably silly names they have. They are cool because we know them. Just because a name is new doesnt make it poor.

Go Skullator! Now I want to figure how to work that into MOTUC since it's not Skeletor's dad anymore....hmmmn.

My favorite thing about this bible is referring to the Evil Warriors as The Lords Of Destruction! The Masters Of The Universe Vs. The Lords Of Destruction! It's great
    Next Ten Most Wanted: Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Rebel Engerizer Bunny Princess Adora NJ's Avatar
    Thanks jukka! I can't wait to talk about this on the CotFO! This is weath of info that could have change the mythos yet honors the Filmation past also.
    For a peace and love in our universe- MotU and POP together !
    I have the power, and so can you!

Follow me on the Council of the First Ones Podcast.

Support The Great Rebellion Collector's Club

Princess Adora NJ

Thanks Jukka I will have to find the time to read all of this!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 6.12.15!!

MOTUC RECORD

MOTU ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 5 (2015)!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Really been looking forward to this being posted, not had time to read it yet but I'm just glad you posted in before April 1st as i know how you like your April fools day jokes
    I notice it's totally different then the German 200x Series Bible that has been flouting about the Internet for years, which actually seemed more like a style guide.
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Really been looking forward to this being, not had time to read it yet but I'm just glad you posted in before April 1st as i know how you like your April fools day jokes
    I notice it's totally different then the German 200x Series Bible that has been flouting about the Internet for years, which actually seemed more like a style guide.
    Yes. Michael Halperin wrote an early Series Bible(s) before MYP formed their actual Series Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Skullator?

seriously?

SKULLATOR?

and people say Skeleteen is bad?
    Skeleteen is horrible. One doesn't absolve the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Yes. Michael Halperin wrote an early Series Bible(s) before MYP formed their actual Series Bible.
    Arr right, the search is still on for the English version of the MYP 200x Series Bible then, you can do it Jukka

- - - Updated - - -

Arr I see from FB you're already on it
    MOTUC NA Most Wanted: Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one