Thread: MOTUC Sales Status

Hybrid View

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar

MOTUC Sales Status

MOTU fans,

We're working hard here at Mattel on new MOTUC figures for the remainder of 2009 and beyond, but I wanted to take a moment to give our fans here at He-Man.org a quick update.

First off, sales are doing very well. If sales continue at a current rate, it looks like each figure will likely sell out in about a month which is where we hoped we would be.

While we are not at the point that we can tool a new Castle Grayskull, we will start to look at options to bring some of the beasts and larger items into the line in 2010! Stay tuned as we continue to monitor sales.

We also know there are still a few bugs in the ordering process (although we hope greatly improved over the orders after SDCC 2008). We are extremly committed to working all of these ordering issues out as we move into 2009 with new product every month (and a new MOTU Classics figure on the 15th of every month)

Keep those fan posts coming, MOTUC has a great future!

Toy Guru

Whoooooooo!

Thanks TG!

That's awesome news!

Fabulous news!!

I'm heartened to hear the good news about the line! I hope it continues on healthily. Just out of curiosity, are you aware that the plastic hanging hooks are not being attached to the packaging? Are you also aware of the poor packing job being done that is causing the cards to come through bent and in worse shape than 100%? While I realize SOME damage can be done through shipping, the kind of damage I've seen from my own figures shows just flat out negligence on whomever is packing these.

whoooooot .i am one happy fella.thanks for taking the time to let us know how things are going toyguru.happy holidays!!!

Thanks for the update, TG.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum (1st post) but have been a he-fan ever since the early 80's and am now getting back into the hobby with the Classics line (for those interested I ordered 2 x He-man and 1 x Beastman on December 1st and am awaiting delivery to Canada). I do collect several other toy lines ranging from the excellent Hot Toys 12" figs to Transformers, Doctor Who and Star Wars.

What has amazed me so far is the complete lack of fanfair surrounding these figures. In fact I only knew of their existence through cooltoyreview (I often visit rebelscum and they have a banner linking you to cooltoyreview that I regularly check out). Was it the intention to keep the launch low-key?

It's good to see a rep from Mattel posts here as I've heard of several issues with peoples orders while lurking but I see that toyguru has yet to respond to this thread after making the initial post, is that common?

I'm particularly interested in a reponse to this post:

Quote Originally Posted by vaderSW1 View Post
    I'm heartened to hear the good news about the line! I hope it continues on healthily. Just out of curiosity, are you aware that the plastic hanging hooks are not being attached to the packaging? Are you also aware of the poor packing job being done that is causing the cards to come through bent and in worse shape than 100%? While I realize SOME damage can be done through shipping, the kind of damage I've seen from my own figures shows just flat out negligence on whomever is packing these.
    I think my decision as to whether to fully return to He-Man collecting will be dependent on the responsiveness of Mattel to issues such as these. What about you guys?

Cheers and happy collecting!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Adamant View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum (1st post) but have been a he-fan ever since the early 80's and am now getting back into the hobby with the Classics line (for those interested I ordered 2 x He-man and 1 x Beastman on December 1st and am awaiting delivery to Canada). I do collect several other toy lines ranging from the excellent Hot Toys 12" figs to Transformers, Doctor Who and Star Wars.

What has amazed me so far is the complete lack of fanfair surrounding these figures. In fact I only knew of their existence through cooltoyreview (I often visit rebelscum and they have a banner linking you to cooltoyreview that I regularly check out). Was it the intention to keep the launch low-key?

It's good to see a rep from Mattel posts here as I've heard of several issues with peoples orders while lurking but I see that toyguru has yet to respond to this thread after making the initial post, is that common?

I'm particularly interested in a reponse to this post:

I think my decision as to whether to fully return to He-Man collecting will be dependent on the responsiveness of Mattel to issues such as these. What about you guys?

Cheers and happy collecting!
    Welcome aboard, Adam_Adamant!

I doubt the launch was intentionally kept low key, but if it came off that way that's too bad. I know they had ads in ToyFare (and hopefully other magazines), and they sent figures out to various web sites for review. I think for those of us who frequent this board, it'd be hard to tell how big or little the launch was because we've followed this entire thing step by step since it was first hinted at.

As for Toyguru, I think he's pretty busy most of the time, and I'm sure there are things he can and can't say, so it's not uncommon for him to give us an update of sorts and then not respond to comments about it.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Adamant View Post
    Welcome to the .org!!!

I totally agree with your assessment!

Us fans on these boards here obviously knew about this line long ago, and there has been pretty good coverage at the various other collector sites, but it definitely was way more low-key than it should have been.

Of course, if you went to SDCC this summer, you would've had a hard time avoiding the Mattel display with the KG statue and stuff.

But especially on the Matty site, there should have been a countdown, or a teaser or something saying "He-Man is on his way, will you be ready?" something to that effect.

And then on the 1st, when you logged onto the main page, there should have been a huge splash page dedicated to nothing else but MOTUC saying "ON SALE NOW!" etc.

Even the so-called "brand page" that they were seeming to make a big deal about is just a typical e-tailer's product page.

But whatever, I guess it's kind of a good thing in a way!
    Just saying, if Mattel isn't worrying about it (sales are good, they have confidence of a sell-thru, etc.) then I guess neither should we.

It would just be better for building buzz, and more fun for us, if they did some easy-to-do hype-building stuff.
    The 4H used to be MASTERS of that kind of thing.
    You guys remember stuff like the Hordak bust silhouette, the "close-up" teaser pics of Wave 5 Stactions . . . that stuff was a blast, and really got people excited and talking!

A big fan of Slush Head
    Excellent news!!!! It's great to hear about MOTUC doing well.
    Long live MOTU
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Thanks for the update TG.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Yee haw!

This is excellent news!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    While we are not at the point that we can tool a new Castle Grayskull, we will start to look at options to bring some of the beasts and larger items into the line in 2010! Stay tuned as we continue to monitor sales.
    Thanks for the update Toyguru. You just made my night.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    We're working hard here at Mattel on new MOTUC figures for the remainder of 2009 and beyond [...]
    Wow, so this puts things in a totally different perspective from what I and others have been assuming.

Mattel really is putting a solid investment into this line!

I can't overstate how relieved this post has made me!

Heroic Warrior
    MOTU fans,

We're working hard here at Mattel on new MOTUC figures for the remainder of 2009 and beyond, but I wanted to take a moment to give our fans here at He-Man.org a quick update.

First off, sales are doing very well. If sales continue at a current rate, it looks like each figure will likely sell out in about a month which is where we hoped we would be.

We also know there are still a few bugs in the ordering process (although we hope greatly improved over the orders after SDCC 2008). We are extremly committed to working all of these ordering issues out as we move into 2009 with new product every month (and a new MOTU Classics figure on the 15th of every month)

Keep those fan posts coming, MOTUC has a great future!

Toy Guru

Hey Buddy!

I been reading alot of complaints about the way your distributor packs the items in the boxes. (crushed bubbles and bent up cardbacks)

Also train your customer service people (to not be jerks) and fix your website so it doesn't overload..!

Its not so bad now... i see the items are still available so thats a win!
    I am not a big complainer but man you really need to work out the bugs...!

Other than that

your doing a good job b/c i bought 2 of the 1st release figs.......

and will be buying 2 more of each of the additional figures u guys make

Thanks for bringing the toys back from the dead

Thank you for the update and Congratulations!!!!!!!!! That's fantastic!

And yes please, bring on BATTLE CAT!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.