Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Spikor Discussion thread

MOTUC Spikor Discussion thread

I've had a poll up at PGPoA about which figure people would like to see announced next for MOTUC. Predictably Hordak is winning, but I was surprised to see Spikor holding his own against Scare-Glow for second place.

Obviously Spikor is overdue for a revamped figure, but I wonder how they could do the spikes?

They’d look kind of lame if they were as dull-tipped as the ones on the original figure. But if they were sharply-pointed, but made from the hard plastic the other MOTUC figures are made from, it would be like trying to play with an action figure of a cactus.

I think the best solution would be to make rubbery spikes, a la the original figure, but make them pointier. However, I’m not sure I see Mattel spending the money for that, unless it was a convention exclusive. Would it be a rubbery "skin" over a hard frame, like the original figure? And a rubbery head? I shudder to think of the possible QC issues with a rubbery head...on the other hand, hard plastic spikes might be too brittle.

Either way they go (hard plastic or soft rubber) the spikes have to be pointer this time around. This is, after all, a line for ADULT collectors. It would be nice to actually have some spikes that are longer on his back and shoulders. This could easily be done by leaving the spikes unattached and once the buyer has the figure he/she attaches them.
    Last edited by chuc98; December 15, 2008 at 02:29pm.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I have to disagree with you on that one. The spikes have to rounded like the original version. I don't think safety standards would allow them to release pointy spiked figures.

It would be a shame if they released the figure with rubber spikes too. Rubber dries out and cracks eventually. Plastic works best.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Just like Beast Manīs. Thatīs it

I think they might be able to get away with pointy spikes as an "adult collector" line. I know some figures can be sold spikey, because I have scratched myself up with a regenerator from resident evil 4 more than once

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless_Photog View Post
    I think they might be able to get away with pointy spikes as an "adult collector" line. I know some figures can be sold spikey, because I have scratched myself up with a regenerator from resident evil 4 more than once
    That's exactly the figure I was thinking about as an example of really hard, sharp spikes.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    The easiest way to make Spikor is a regular body with a spike-covered removable armor shell, rather than invest in a wholly-unique spiky torso that couldn't be reused for any other character.

As for safety standards, these are 18+ so they might be able to slide on some stuff.

I'm not worried about the sharp/pointy-ness of the spikes, I have no doubt the 4H will make them look and play awesome.

Lay-Z-Man may be onto something there. I know some will naysay an armor shell, but we must remember that we have the 4HM on our side this time. Lay-Z, you are always so smart! Right on the money...or should I say, considering the subject matter, you get the point!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

you could do armor that cover just the upper portion(chest) of the torso. however you'd have a mid riff showing on all the figures(see terror claws skeletor and flying fist he-man for what i mean). the articualtion wouldnt be lost. you'd have a visible midrift on the figures. done correctly(armor matches the color of the figure) though it wouldnt look ridiculous.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Interesting suggestion.

I forgot about the ab-crunch and how armor might affect it.

On that note I wonder how Man-At-Arms, Fisto, Jitsu, et al. will deal with the armor.

BY JOVE! That is true... That will be interesting, then, to see how those guys turn out.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

I think if it's an armor...it's not really "Spikor"

He's named Spikor because his SKIN is covered with Spikes.

Stinkor isn't named Stinkor because he can spray nasty smelling Glade at you.

...You have a point, too...

I am really going to exhaust that joke.

UPDATE: I posted the question regarding the armor inhibiting torso articulation for the next Q&A.
    Last edited by Uki; December 15, 2008 at 08:12pm. Reason: Aha!

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    I think if it's an armor...it's not really "Spikor"

He's named Spikor because his SKIN is covered with Spikes.
    I understand what you're saying, but I'm willing to bet the 4H could make removable spiky armor that along with a couple of spiky shoulder pad pieces could blend in well enough to not appear bulky and armor-ish.

Besides, to me the Classic toy's torso already looks like he's wearing a spike "suit".

If this were a 200x design, no question he'd need a totally unique sculpt with spiky skin all over, but with MOTUC sacrifices have to be made in the name of parts-sharing.

And Uki, good one asking it in WTFWK!

But a small suggestion, you might want to specify "closed" armor, or "double-sided" armor to get as specific a response as possible. What I'm thinking is the question might be misinterpreted and we could get a response like "Beast Man's armor doesn't interfere with the ab-crunch" if you know what I mean.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I think the armor route is the most likely; they may sacrifice the ab crunch by covering it up in cases like this, as it would be near impossible the do the spikes around that joint no matter how they approach it.

As for rubber spikes, there never were any. Just the softer form of PVC the rest of the body is made out of. It can become brittle as it ages and dries out depending on how cheap a material it was to begin with (mu original Spikor still has springy spikes after over 20 years, and Matt Mason figures whose wires may be shot, but their bodies never split anywhere). The afety standards may be lax here, but I don't want hard spikes. I have the old McFarlane Heap figure with all the hard glass pieces and other stuff sticking out of him, and I have to wear gloves handling him to avoid slashing my hand to pieces. Hard spikes are also far more likely to break off.

Soft spikes, please.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    As for rubber spikes, there never were any.
    Yeah, I was just using the word "rubbery" more as an adjective than as a specific term for the material. The spikes do feel rubbery to me. And for the record, my Spikor is still nice and springy, too.

Heroic Warrior
    this is a really prickly situation.

If you do it with the armor, there are some who the idea might not stick with.

then Mattel is stuck with unsold product. As a result, they might not produce as many figures next time, and therefore, the aftermarket price on the subsequent figures might spike as demand increases.

the point I'm trying to make here, is that Mattel could end up poking itself in the eye, if they don't do it perfectly right from the start.

I think he may be made by using the He-Man body and gluing the spikes over in it the same plastic He-Mans armor was made from. They would not be removable and this is an acceptable way of saving money.

A bit off topic here but I could have sworn I saw Spikor in the new Slipknot music video LMAO he was wearing a jump suit as opposed to armor with spikes everywhere!

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    The easiest way to make Spikor is a regular body with a spike-covered removable armor shell, rather than invest in a wholly-unique spiky torso that couldn't be reused for any other character.

As for safety standards, these are 18+ so they might be able to slide on some stuff.

I'm not worried about the sharp/pointy-ness of the spikes, I have no doubt the 4H will make them look and play awesome.
    This I agree with. The is probably what they're likely to do.

Heroic Warrior
    I would prefer it without the removable armor, and softer spikes. I don't need my toys hurting me

What I want to see is a removable trident. The original toy had the spring out weapon feature, that will NOT be a part of the new toy. In the mini comic and the cartoon the trident as a hand held weapon, that could be disarmed. i want the same for the toy!

Spikor Thread

this is one original figure that has not been made for the 2002 toyline, stactions, newest comics and cartoon. i hope we get him soon, he was always one of my favorites. we haven't seen him since his release in the 80's.

I hope will be realesed with the design of 80's series, and obviously very smelly!

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Horde View Post
    I hope will be realesed with the design of 80's series, and obviously very smelly!
    Why would Spikor be smelly? He isn't Stinkor.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Horde View Post
    ...and obviously very smelly!

as for sPIkor, i can't wait. really curious to see how the 4H approach the spikes.