Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand Era Influence & Order Limit poll results - check 'em out!

Brand Era Influence & Order Limit poll results - check 'em out!

A couple months ago we ran a couple polls to see what fans across the world thought about a couple important issues.

The results were very interesting, especially for the brand influence poll.

------------------------

The first was the order limit fans thought Mattel should place on mattycollector.com for MOTUC figures.

1730 fans votes in this poll.

The results were:

• Three - 528 votes
    • Two - 278 votes
    • Five - 267 votes
    • Four - 209 votes
    • Fifteen - 172 votes
    • Ten - 96 votes
    • One - 89 votes
    • Six - 52 votes
    • Eight - 18 votes
    • Seven - 12 votes
    • Twelve - 3 votes
    • Thirteen - 3 votes
    • Fourteen - 2 votes
    • Nine - 1 vote

Nearly 75% of fans who votes feel that five or less is an appropriate limit.

Almost 10% voted for fifteen, which generally means those users feel there should be fifteen or more or even no limit at all.

The existing limit of ten that Mattel put into place after previously setting it at three saw a little over 5% of fans supporting that limit.

------------------------

The second poll dealt with one of the more controversial subjects of the MOTUC line, and that is the choice of figure styling.

A number of fans have said they want to see 2002 styling, with some going as far as saying they won't buy the MOTUC line at all because of the absence of the 2002 style.

Other fans are just as passionate about POP and NA figures.

So we provided a poll for folks who are either buying the MOTUC line, or wanted to buy a new MOTU toy line but they have a style concern.
    Let's see what the results were when everyone had a chance to voice their say.

3573 fans votes in this poll.

The results were:

• Yes. I plan to buy them all! I'll love any design (original MOTU, POP, NA and/or 2002) used in the line - 1595 votes
    • Yes. I already plan to buy some based on what I've seen, but only the characters that interest me - 949 votes
    • Maybe. I am only interested in 2002 character designs - 364 votes
    • Maybe. I will start to collect all or part of the line once it includes some 2002 character designs - 306 votes
    • No. I have no interest in this line at all because of the sculpting style, no matter what designs are included - 190 votes
    • Maybe. I will start to collect all or part of the line once it includes some Princess of Power character designs - 107 votes
    • Maybe. I am only interested in Princess of Power character designs - 40 votes
    • Maybe. I will start to collect all or part of the line once it includes some New Adventures of He-Man character designs - 12 votes
    • Maybe. I am only interested in New Adventures of He-Man character designs - 10 votes

Almost 70% of the fans who voted are on board for this line in some capacity, either for the entire line or for the characters they want.

But there are other fans who simply aren't interested in the MOTUC approach,
    or they aren't coming on board until they see something other than classic MOTUC stylings.

Almost 19% of fans who voted are wanting 2002 stylings in the line.
    While that may be only 600+ fan votes in total, if that is proportionate to the buying market then that means 1 out of every 5 potential customers is waiting on 2002 in some capacity in the MOTUC line.

About 5% of fans who voted are not interested in this line at all. We're not sure if they means that there might be another toy approach that would entice them to buy, or if they are done with MOTU completely. The idea was to vote if they wanted a MOTU toy line, but wanted another look completely.

POP and NA are at the other end of the poll.
    POP and NA fans are some of the most passionate we have on the forums,
    yet about 4% of fans who voted are holding out for the appearance of POP stylings,
    and not even 1% of fans who voted are holding out for the appearance of NA stylings.

------------------------

But this poll only answered the question of who is holding out on the MOTUC line until they see various brands represented.
    Others would still like to see 2002, POP and/or NA even though they are currently buying the more MOTU inspired MOTUC figures.
    That poll will be posted soon to see where the brand stylings rank in popularity and importance in the MOTUC line.

That aside, what do these above poll results say?
    It's tough to say because you never know who is actually voting. Does it speak for the entire consumer market, or just a percentage with an uncommon opinion?
    What do you think?
    Please share your analysis of the results!

Note:
    Please keep the discussion civil.
    Try to specify when things are your opinion by adding key words like "IMO" or "I think" or "I feel". You'd be surprised how many arguments never occur when people know without a doubt that you are speaking only for yourself and your individual tastes.
    No insults or heated debates, please! Thanks!

Thanks for the results.

I'm not sure what the polls say, but I'm sure I'm glad about how many people voted.

And I'm especially glad that around 3500 people voted "Yes" on if they'll buy them all or are planning to buy some MOTUC.

Thanks for the results.

IMO I think this shows that POP is a good idea. That 4% of fans (147) is a good number in addition to the folks who are on board for everything or parts of the line. That's extra sales of anywhere from 147 to 1470.
    Last edited by Tallstar; December 1, 2008 at 08:29pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

let me just say the second poll really is not a acurate polling of the way i feel when i voted...yes i PLAN to buy the MOTUC line...cause i am a fan and i hope the line continues to inclue NA and POP characters...

but would i take the 200x line continueing over it....YES...
    but that wasn't an option ...

if i had the CHOICE between the 2 i would like the 200X line back...HOWEVER
    ANY MOTU is BETTER than NO MOTU
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

In reference to a possible 2002 styling for the MOTUC line, are we talking about the classic "bulky" look of the 80's painted like 2002 (like the bulky 200x Hordak that Emiliano drew) or the style that the 2002 figs were actually done in? In the case of the latter, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the general consensus is that we'd all like to see the stactions return. I would happily by 200x figures or, preferably, the stactions. Both of which, I would prefer over bulky 200x figures. (Even though I'd probably purchase those too ) But-- Mattel if you're reading-- let's try and avoid one of each. Hope I didn't confuse things too much.

Movie mayhem!
    Well its good news to hear so many people plan to support this line regardless of whats in it... in the end having this line do well can only strengthen MOTU and its future!

I'm excited to hear about the next polls! Those will be very interesting indeed! You probably already have their format figured out but I think something like this would work well:

poll 1
    If POP figures come out I will buy them all
    If POP figures come out I will buy the ones I'm interested in
    If POP figures come out I will not be buying them

poll 2
    If NA figures come out I will buy them all
    If NA figures come out I will buy the ones I'm interested in
    If NA figures come out I will not be buying them

You could even included one about 200x.
    Also poll question like "What are you more excited to see in the line POP or NA characters" could be fun.

After this line has been around for awhile and takes off I'm excited to get to character polls where we kinda get to help decide what characters they do. That would be really fun. I hope that happens at some point.
    Last edited by Patreek; December 1, 2008 at 08:55pm.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    i read it as:

2691 fans would buy POP in some capacity. That's 75% of the people who voted!!

2566 fans would buy NA in some capacity. That's 72% of the people who voted!!

I think that's a strong argument for them being included! Now if only there was a way to figure out what order the fans are craving these babies in...
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST NYTF 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue -Mermista - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: Imp - 3 main twiggets

Quote Originally Posted by gatchagrey View Post
    but would i take the 200x line continueing over it....YES...
    but that wasn't an option ...
    That's not a possible option.
    Mattel is not going to continue the 2002 line.
    Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    I think that's a strong argument for them being included! Now if only there was a way to figure out what order the fans are craving these babies in...
    You're making a huge assumption if you read it that way.

We'll get an estimate of where those percentages actually lay in the next poll when we break down where fan interests fall for those who are buying the line regardless.

You may have people who are buying everything regardless, so the reverse can also be true. Because they are buying everything, they may not care if POP ever shows up.

So, if fans want POP or NA to show up, people have to speak up for it.
    That will happen in the next poll.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoldier13 View Post
    In reference to a possible 2002 styling for the MOTUC line, are we talking about the classic "bulky" look of the 80's painted like 2002
    Correct.
    Based on everything we've been told, the sculpting style is not going to change.

The only thing you can hope for at this point is 2002 design styles done in this MOTUC sculpting style.

Emiliano and I posted a thread with an example of what you might be able to expect.
    Please use the search feature to check it out.

Val, thanks for posting the results. I think they may prove helpful in cafting further polls.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

I think Mattel will view this poll as good evdience to support it's NO POP or NA stance in the first year. I must say that I agree with Tally and Judeh that you can view the POP stats in either a positive or negative light due to the results achieved in the first question. We need a more specific poll to look at this POP & NA issue as fans have now had a longer time to get used to the idea of MOTUC. We have been shown more figures and by the end of January 09 we will have He-Man, Bastman and Skeletor in our hands, with Stratos Faker and Merman on the horizon. If a new poll about this issue is run after Xmas we could find a number of attitudes may be starting to / or might have already changed.

This kind of data collection only ever shows a snapshot of attitudes at the time. A number of variables have come into play that could be changing the general mood towards MOTUC and issues like POP & NA. When Teela is finally revealed I would not be suprised to find a wave of positivity towards POP characters. When MOTU fans can visualise that these characters will be in the same style as Teela and Evil Lyn hopefully they will become more receptive to POP characters. Sometimes I feel the immage of the dolls is all people have in their heads. These girls will be like Evil-Lyn, Teela and the Sorceress (Action Figures)!

Why don't Mattel take the approach adopted with Zodak and Show a prototype without a production time frame. Would it not be possible for Mattel to get the 4H to sculpt a few prototype POP characters such as Adora, She-Ra & Catra and then Mattel could decide if they want to put these characters into production based on the fan community's reaction. They could offer a very tentative and early pre-order to gauge how many people would be prepaired to buy them. If there is not the support for the characters then Mattel could just cancel the pre-order and they would not have really lost anything. I assume it dosen't cost that much to make the initial prototype, just the 4H Materials, costs and time? I honestly think if Mattel showed a few of these prototype figures in the same style as Teela and Evil-Lyn there would be an over wheleming fan reaction. Many MOTU ONLY fans don't seem to be able to get the doll immages out of their minds. So if Mattel could allow the 4H to give the doubters a new immage to consider (in the way only they 4H could), I am positive many fans would be more accepting of these chatacters and jump on the POP band wagon.
    Last edited by Angel-T; December 1, 2008 at 10:02pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Movie mayhem!
    I also think its awesome that 3500 people participated in the second poll!!! Thats a lot!!!

i hope there is support for POP and NA....

why would you want to exclude those BEFORE you even see what they can do with them...

do you JUST buy a figure because its a character from you childhood or is do you still buy them cause they might actually be a cool figure...

i still don't understand this negativitiy toward POP and NA figures in the line, if the samecharacter wee released under the MOTU banner instead would you feel the same...
    http://bugshido.deviantart.com/

Be apart of the "Gatchgrey and Royal-T present: the Bug-Shido Staction Character Contest"
    details here http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=176988

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I can't recall, was this poll open to anyone who visits the .org, or ONLY to registered members?

It's open to anyone who visits the site.

Heroic Warrior
    I am really encouraged by the results of both polls.

it shows that there is definitely a market for the things I'm wanting as a fan.

I certainly hope Mattel agrees, and we see a mix like we're seeing with the DC Universe line.

with the 'how many should you order', it seems most fans agree on the limit, and yet Mattel was still happy to give us an even higher number to accomodate bulk orders, and to help those overseas.

in the "Which versions do you want to see" poll, it is obvious that there's statistically enough support for such a plan to be viable. I certainly hope to see more than just talk as a result, of course.

While i will buy figures in the line representing the original line, my ideal for the classic would be a nice mix of original and 2002 figures (tho I might add I prefer the idea of using a classic sculpt for the 2002 figures, like the beautiful Hordak Emiliano did) As far as POP and NA goes, i could really care less, tho I'm not against it. I would buy a few NA figures, possibly a POP figure or too, but the ones I'm interested in are the 80's and the 2002 figures. Would really kill for a classics Castle Grayskull tho.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    I couldn't vote in the second poll cuz it didn't word any of the answers to what I specifically wanted.

The current mold is fine, but I want the option to vote on which accessory/paint style for which character I want. I'd be happy if Mattel could throw up a poll 5 months in advance (or something), before a specific character is created, and say "Which paint style? 200X or Classic?" Which weapons? 200X or Classic?" Do you want Hordak with a cape? Should The Sorceress wear a singlet or a two piece costume?" etc etc

Thats what I want and until this series goes in that direction I'm gonna be picky with what, and how much, I buy. I was burned with the 200X line and the Stactions only produced so many characters and now I'm being told this is a new series and that it's for the fans, but we have no say in what style the characters will be created in. Lame.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I agree with Angel-T that a lot of the people hating on PoP and NA can't really judge until they've seen how the 4H are going to interpret these characters in the MOTUC style. I think when it comes down to it, fans are more turned off by the STYLE of those figures (PoP and NA) as opposed to the actual characters themselves and their designs.

Also, iirc TG mentioned MOTUC would be getting "at least" one new female body, so there could be more variation between Teela and PoP ladies than we might think. Either way, can't wait to see TEELA!!

The main problem with truly gauging the pro/anti PoP or NA stance of most fans from this poll is that there was no option like:

Yes. I plan to buy any figure in the line, as long as it's not _______ characters.

I realize people might not want to encourage any anti-PoP/NA sentiments (and as I said, I think many would change their tune once they actually SEE the figures) but this would be a more accurate sampling.

Also, I know it's to match everyone's exact stance because some fans may want everyone except Gwildor, or whatever.
    But like it or not, the fact remains there are MotU collectors who will not buy any PoP figures, and there was no way of expressing that here.

The "only the characters that interest me" is way too vague, and probably shouldn't have even been on this poll IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It's open to anyone who visits the site.
    In that case I think Mattel would get disappointing results from the following question being posed:

"Would you prefer a return to/continuation of the modern 200x style figures instead of the MOTUC figures?"

I know, that's never gonna happen and all the rest, but I think it would still show more concretely how many additional potential MotU collectors there are, since that's a sentiment I've seen expressed a LOT (not necessarily here at the .org, but at many other non MotU-centric boards) with the unveiling of MOTUC.

I voted NO in the second part, but it had nothing to do with the sculpting style. I think the MOTUC sculpting is pretty cool. For me, the biggest issue is that they will look plastic. If only they could look as good as the protos. And I’m not a fan of articulation. Until joints can be hidden, I think my toy buying days are over.

Personally I'd love to collect all the available characters - sadly though it's going to work out far too expensive with international shipping, import taxes and exchange rates. I think eventually this will lead me to be more selective and only buy the figures I really want - and let it be known that these characters span from all incarnations of MOTU; I certainly don't have a specific preference that excludes the other incarnations. I love Slushhead from NA and Skeletor too, She-Ra from POP etc....

I have however placed my orders for Beastman and He-Man

My feeling is that I would like to see some of the stylistic elements of the 200x line incorporated into this classics line - I think the detail the horsemen had with the 200x figures is really appealing; I confess to being slightly disappointed at the 'dumbed down' classic look

I can't wait for the NA and POP figures! Mostly because I am so very excited to have a unified MOTU line where everyone looks like they belong (as they rightly should!). I agree with earlier sentiments that fans will climb on board the NA and POP wagon (funny mental image) once they see the figures themselves.
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Interesting...

I think this shows that 200X has an audience at least equal to POP and NA, which were both included in MOTUC from jump. If Mattel thought POP and NA would work in MOTUC, then I think 200X definitely has a chance.

Some of the most encouraging news yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gatchagrey View Post
    i hope there is support for POP and NA....

why would you want to exclude those BEFORE you even see what they can do with them...

do you JUST buy a figure because its a character from you childhood or is do you still buy them cause they might actually be a cool figure...

i still don't understand this negativitiy toward POP and NA figures in the line, if the same character were released under the MOTU banner instead would you feel the same...
    I think some people are going from their childhood memories more than anything. I think it would explain the "He-Man in space isn't the same He-Man as Filmation!" or the "She-Ra is for girls!" mentalities. Hell, some folks forgot that Skeletor and Zodak didn't wear boots and became outraged.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 2, 2008 at 08:15am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    I can't recall, was this poll open to anyone who visits the .org, or ONLY to registered members?
    as Val said, anyone who visited/visits the site...however, keep in mind there are probably some people who have an opinion, vendors, other in general toy collectors, whomever...that may not know about this site, and that purchased yesterday.

The poll can only reflect stats from those who were passionate enough to vote.

and to break it down simply, I think the raw numbers speak for themselves.

Almost 70% of the fans who voted are on board for this line in some capacity, either for the entire line or for the characters they want.

that is EXCELLENT news!

as for the breakdowns...there are all kinds of varying "levels" of fandom on here.
    I would venture to say that most of us were raised on the original MOTU and are in our early to mid 30's. Myself included in that category. We (like it or not) reperesent the majority.
    and ALSO amongst that set are people (like me) who show undying support.

I personally will support ANYTHING that has a MOTU name attached b/c I love these charachters so much.
    MOTU / POP / NA /200x /stactions / MOTUC...and anything else that comes along!

regardless the poll was interesting and encouraging.
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

MY .ORG FEEDBACK

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

"I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

Widget

I'm buying them and only own 3-4 total 200x

I have just a few 200x figures in my collection and have a nice selection of 1980's items. But, I think I'm 99% on board for the entire MOTUC line.
    I really want Horde Trooper this year. I think we've waited long enough! Also, Scareglow needs to come ASAP.

I can't under-emphasize that these results are only reflective of the She-Ra fans who visit this site.

There is a WHOLE fanbase out there, dressing up as She-Ra for Halloween, or buying the DVDs and T-Shirts out of nostalgia. People who buy the cells on Ebay. Women just don't do the geeky message board thing nearly as much as the boys populating this site do (not a slight, just a fact). Especially when the message board is called He-Man.org. If there were a She-Ra.org, you'd be getting a lot more female She-Ra visitors...and their voices would certainly change the outcome of polls such as this.

...and the obvious truth is that when they see a She-Ra statue/figure that looks EXACTLY like the She-Ra from the cartoon they used to watch as a girl, they'd be at least 50% more interested in buying it.

Case in point - how many people really love Mickey Mouse when they drop by a Disney store or Disney World or K-Mart and just buy something with Mickey on it? Very few of them. I don't even like Mickey all that much, but I own Mickey stuff because it's out there, it looks like the character I remember and it's nostalgic.

Stop saying the fan base is more into He-Man because you're asking people at HE-MAN's biggest website. That's like asking Star Trek fans at a Star Trek website if they love Star Wars as much.

There are many valid, logical, profitable reasons to make Filmation Accurate She-Ra figures...

...don't glance at this poll for a second and think that isn't the case.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I can't under-emphasize that these results are only reflective of the She-Ra fans who visit this site.

There is a WHOLE fanbase out there, dressing up as She-Ra for Halloween, or buying the DVDs and T-Shirts out of nostalgia. People who buy the cells on Ebay. Women just don't do the geeky message board thing nearly as much as the boys populating this site do (not a slight, just a fact). Especially when the message board is called He-Man.org. If there were a She-Ra.org, you'd be getting a lot more female She-Ra visitors...and their voices would certainly change the outcome of polls such as this.

...and the obvious truth is that when they see a She-Ra statue/figure that looks EXACTLY like the She-Ra from the cartoon they used to watch as a girl, they'd be at least 50% more interested in buying it.

Case in point - how many people really love Mickey Mouse when they drop by a Disney store or Disney World or K-Mart and just buy something with Mickey on it? Very few of them. I don't even like Mickey all that much, but I own Mickey stuff because it's out there, it looks like the character I remember and it's nostalgic.

Stop saying the fan base is more into He-Man because you're asking people at HE-MAN's biggest website. That's like asking Star Trek fans at a Star Trek website if they love Star Wars as much.

There are many valid, logical, profitable reasons to make Filmation Accurate She-Ra figures...

...don't glance at this poll for a second and think that isn't the case.
    I would think the Disney store is the first place you would go for Mickey stuff since there are no Mickey Mouse stores. Sorta like He-Man.org is the best place to go if there is no She-Ra.org. If POP fans can't come here, where can they go?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr