Thread: Movie Versions

Movie Versions

Does anyone know if Mattel might be doing movie characters too? I suppose they may not even have the right to those designs, but a movie version Skeletor would be pretty awesome! Does anyone else want movie characters? Aside from Skeletor, I would love a Blade, a movie style Beastman, or a Lubic!

Heroic Warrior
    They have stated that they do not have the rights for any movie characters that were not originally made into toys.

So yes to blade, no to Skeletor

How sad.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Doesnt add up.

They own Skeletor and He-Man, ManAtArms, and Teela, Evilyn and Beastman.......

Sure we cant get Lubic (very easy custom fig), and Karg. Julie and Kevin (who would want them anyway?)

Sooooooo remind me why we cant get them again? Mattel wont think theyll sell, so theyll tell us they dont own Skeletor or He-Man. Smooth.
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

I want a Movie Skeletor and Karg so bad.
    You may have defeated us, but you'll never see this child again!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    Doesnt add up.

Sure we cant get Lubic (very easy custom fig), and Karg. Julie and Kevin (who would want them anyway?)

Sooooooo remind me why we cant get them again? Mattel wont think theyll sell, so theyll tell us they dont own Skeletor or He-Man. Smooth.
    the idea is that someone else holds the license for the "look" of movie He-man and Skeletor and others. Except for the toys that were actually made.

Kind of like Frankenstein. Anyone can make a Frankenstein movie, its public domain. However only Universal has the right to use the flat head classic Karloff Frankenstein "look"

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    the idea is that someone else holds the license for the "look" of movie He-man and Skeletor and others. Except for the toys that were actually made.

Kind of like Frankenstein. Anyone can make a Frankenstein movie, its public domain. However only Universal has the right to use the flat head classic Karloff Frankenstein "look"
    Mattel doesn't want anything to do with possible loopholes. But we fans know there's the 'Dolph Lundgren' version of Laser Power He-Man. They could give He-Man the movie head.

Someone would've said it eventually.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

Heroic Warrior
    buy a Classics He-Man, and an Ivan Drago, and make your own!

I would think that they would not make any movie figures until they finished with all 80's and POP and 200x special figures not released and vehicles and playsets. I would imagine any movie figures would come out around the same time we started seeing new adventures figures. So I am just a taking a guess but at 1 figure or playset a month we are sitting at over 100 months before we see any movie figures, thats 9 years. And this is a conservative guess.
    Lipster Heroic Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    buy a Classics He-Man, and an Ivan Drago, and make your own!
    He'd need a wig or something!

I'd be up for movie figures if they are ever possible, there were some funky designs in there.

That Beast Man scared the crap out of me when I was a pup. I would love to have movie versions of these characters if it were ever possible. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for it, but who knows what teh future may bring?

...I never liked Karg, though.

Of course, that said, I would probably buy him anyhow.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTU Minis 2015!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistix View Post
    He'd need a wig or something!
    I never said it'd be easy, just doable.

you have to have a degree of skill to make it work, as you'd need to do a new harness, and loincloth as well.

Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    I never said it'd be easy, just doable.

you have to have a degree of skill to make it work, as you'd need to do a new harness, and loincloth as well.
    He has some funky shoulder pads too...

As you said, Atleast we have a Dolph head in the scale.

I just noticed this picture of the actual outfit in another section of the Org:

I would never have thought the tights were red!

I had hoped to get movie figures as well...sadly its not happening.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Quote Originally Posted by Artistix View Post
    I just noticed this picture of the actual outfit in another section of the Org:

I would never have thought the tights were red!
    Yes, the photography in the movie was such that it wasn't easy to make out all the details. He-Man's chest symbol, for example. I can't tell what it's supposed to be at all. Anyone know?
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Man, I'd totally go for a movie Skeletor, however, that seems to be the consensus and he's not even possible...

Blade is cool though, so what the heck. Perhaps Gwildor might be cool, but only for a movie-accurate cosmic key.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Anubis View Post
    Doesnt add up.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not the characters but rather the interpretations of the characters.

It's the same as the Filmation thing. ER owns the Filmation license and the Filmation interpretations of the MOTU characters.

They would have to get the rights from the costume designer, and that equals money. It's like wit Wonder Woman. DC Comics owns the Wonder Woman character, but if they want to use the Wonder Woman costume worn by Lynda Carter in the CBS Wonder Woman TV series, they have to pay the costume designer, Donfeld, for the rights - and when they have used it, they were never allowed to use it on the cover of the comic book.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"