Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.9!

Answers to WTFWTK 2.9!

Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 9 questions!

1. Will there be any differences between the Faker that's released at NYCC and the one offered four weeks later at mattycollector?
    While this is something we were looking at doing, to avoid production problems the Faker figure will be the same as the one online a month later. The advantage to getting it at NYCC is that you get the figure one month early and can brag to all your friends.

2. Why are subscribers to the mattycollector newsletter not receiving any email notifying us of news?
    That is because we haven’t sent one yet! Right now we are updating Mattycollector.com fans through the news section (which gets new posts about 2 or 3 times a week). We are looking into doing a newsletter in the next few months but right now our energy is going toward making sure the product and content of the site is top notch. You will see a lot more product in 2009 and a lot more content on the site. We’re just getting started!

3. What can Mattel do to ensure that the bright bold colors we're always shown on press photos are what we're actually going to get when the toy is in our hands? Even King Grayskull's colors in person are drabber than what was shown on mattycollector.
    We are always looking for ways to improve paint ops on figures. Many times early paint masters look a bit different (and sometimes it is due to the resolution on various computer screens) but we are very committed to producing the best product possible and believe me when we say every single day we are making changes to make collector figures better!

4. Fans have noticed that Mattel has DCU stands available online.
    Will these stands work for MOTUC figures or will MOTUC have their own stands created? If MOTUC will get their own, do you have any idea of what they will look like?

We are looking at introducing MOTUC stands but likely not until 2010.

5. There seems to be some confusion as to if Skeletor comes with two power swords (one being the other half of the power sword and the other being a complete sword) or if he just comes with one. What can we expect from Skeletor?
    Check out the MOTUC brand page on MattyCollector.com. The Skeletor figure is noted as coming with both a full power sword and a half sword. All of the figures who came with a sword in the original line will come with a full sword and a half sword in the Classics line (including Faker and when we get to him Prince Adam).

6. You have said this line will be made for the true fans and collectors of He-Man. If that's so, what is Mattel doing to involve and utilize the incredible knowledge of the major MOTU experts in the world like Emiliano Santalucia, Val Staples and James Eatock in this line?
    Fortunately Matty, Toy Guru and the Four Horsemen are all huge life long MOTU fans so rest assured we do have plenty of MOTU experts on staff right now! We will also continue (as we have been) to read fan posts and comments on various websites (including He-Man.org) to see what fan reactions is and suggestions for the line. (and if we ever get stumped we can always post questions online for fans to answer!)

As for involving specific fans in the line, the best way for any fan to become directly involved in a Mattel toy line is to come work for Mattel. We have job postings every day. Check out Mattel.com and click on the employment opportunities section for more information about applying to the world’s largest toy company.

7. What was the idea and process behind the design of the the new packaging design? Many people are confused why it doesn't look more like the classic packaging as originally stated, and would like to know why it was made the way it is now.
    We couldn’t be more proud of the way the new packaging turned out and feel it is a great homage to the original line while taking on some key design elements all of its own. Obviously not every fan will be 100% pleased, but we hope in time it will grow on you. The idea behind the design was to take key elements form the original toy packaging (such as the cross sell, the blister shape and even the “belly button”) and combine those with new exciting elements such as the identifiable Grayskull stone work and the power lightning blasts which resonate with both casual MOTU cans and die hard life long fanatics.

8. He-man and King Grayskull feature a fully usable left hand (to hold accessories with), while all of the pictures of upcoming figures like Skeletor appear to have a uselessly open hand. Will all the figures be "ambidextrous" like the upcoming He-man, or will certain figures only have one (usually the right) hand that can hold an accessory?
    You’ll have to remember that even in the original line, He-Man only had one gripping hand. Skeletor was designed to hold his Havoc staff close to the top, so his right hand is a little more open. Some figures will have two closed hands, others might even have a closed fist. It will all depend on the specifics of the figure. Often this is a choice made by the Horsemen when they sculpt a figure and we are proud to follow their lead.

9. Have you kept the potential for vehicles and playsets in mind while designing the figures? That is, have you purposefully created the figures so they can sit on a beast or throne, or fit into a vehicle without shattering the leg joint?
    Yes, we do look at this and want to make sure that if we can get to a Battle Cat one day that He-Man will sit on him with ease.

10. MOC collectors like to buy figures in person to get the best condition possible. Having to order sight-unseen through a website worries MOC collectors. How well are these carded figures going to be packaged before they are sent out to avoid damage while getting to collectors?
    We have worked extensively with the shipment company to ensure all MattyCollector product is sent out to ensure blisters are mint. One exercise we ran through was giving them collector product and having them mail it to brand managers at Mattel over and over until they got it perfect.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 11!
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 6.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 7.
    Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 8.
    And have fun discussing Toy Guru's answers to your Round 9 questions!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    4. Fans have noticed that Mattel has DCU stands available online.
    Will these stands work for MOTUC figures or will MOTUC have their own stands created? If MOTUC will get their own, do you have any idea of what they will look like?

I like this! Hopefully they will have the Motu logo on them! And possibly be different colors like the staction stands!
    I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick some @$$, and I'm all out of bubble gum.

http://muddyworks.deviantart.com/

While somewhat informative, this wasn't one of the more interesting round of answers. The answer on the paint colors didn't make me feel all that confident for some reason.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

We have worked extensively with the shipment company to ensure all MattyCollector product is sent out to ensure blisters are mint.

Got mine shipped via UPS, got them on the Thursday and one of the Beastman cards was falling off. Other cards were creased and only a couple were good enough.

5. There seems to be some confusion as to if Skeletor comes with two power swords (one being the other half of the power sword and the other being a complete sword) or if he just comes with one. What can we expect from Skeletor?
    Check out the MOTUC brand page on MattyCollector.com. The Skeletor figure is noted as coming with both a full power sword and a half sword. All of the figures who came with a sword in the original line will come with a full sword and a half sword in the Classics line (including Faker and when we get to him Prince Adam).
    Anyone up for a Pink and Orange Power Sword

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Ugh. Too much corporate-speak and non-answers this time.

The answer to #3 is a total dodge, a complete non-answer, and it's actually rather insulting to insinuate that "we're just seeing things" and that's why the paint masters look brighter, instead of admitting they can't do it.

And the answer to #10 is also completely inaccurate.
    If they got it so perfect, why were two of my figures crammed in side by side with their cards scraping the inner wall of the shipping box that was too small for two figures to fit inside?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dan768 View Post
    We have worked extensively with the shipment company to ensure all MattyCollector product is sent out to ensure blisters are mint.

Got mine shipped via UPS, got them on the Thursday and one of the Beastman cards was falling off. Other cards were creased and only a couple were good enough.

Yeah, that one sort of irked me a bit as well. Mine were just tossed in a box and 2 of the 4 cards were hammered with the bubble detaching.

Even the good 2 were barely C-8.

I'm not as anal as some people about card condition,b ut they should really address that. Obviously they aren't appyling the same standards across the board.

2. Why are subscribers to the mattycollector newsletter not receiving any email notifying us of news?
    That is because we haven’t sent one yet! Right now we are updating Mattycollector.com fans through the news section (which gets new posts about 2 or 3 times a week). We are looking into doing a newsletter in the next few months but right now our energy is going toward making sure the product and content of the site is top notch. You will see a lot more product in 2009 and a lot more content on the site. We’re just getting started!
    I thought it would be logical to inform newsletter subscribers of delays and final release dates, especially since the ads in the world's biggest toy magazine featured wrong dates. Silly me.

6. You have said this line will be made for the true fans and collectors of He-Man. If that's so, what is Mattel doing to involve and utilize the incredible knowledge of the major MOTU experts in the world like Emiliano Santalucia, Val Staples and James Eatock in this line?
    Fortunately Matty, Toy Guru and the Four Horsemen are all huge life long MOTU fans so rest assured we do have plenty of MOTU experts on staff right now! We will also continue (as we have been) to read fan posts and comments on various websites (including He-Man.org) to see what fan reactions is and suggestions for the line. (and if we ever get stumped we can always post questions online for fans to answer!)
    As for involving specific fans in the line, the best way for any fan to become directly involved in a Mattel toy line is to come work for Mattel. We have job postings every day. Check out Mattel.com and click on the employment opportunities section for more information about applying to the world’s largest toy company.
    I guess telling us straight to "shut up and let the pros do their work" would've been to harsh.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    While my figures did arrive in good condition, they were just thrown in a box with a bit of brown paper. They were not, by any definition, well packed.

And I beg to differ...the Mattycollector news site has NOT been updated 2-3 times a week...in fact, it looks like it's been weeks since the last update.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by dan768 View Post

Yes, but see, according to answer # 10, you'll get the product shipped to you over and over 'til it's perfect if you're a brand manager at Mattel. To get perfectly shipped product, I guess you might take the advice in answer # 6 and apply for a job by clicking on the employment opportunities section at Mattel.com, see if you can become a brand manager, and then one day you'll have perfect condition figures shipped to you! Yay!
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

All of the figures who came with a sword in the original line will come with a full sword and a half sword in the Classics line (including Faker and when we get to him Prince Adam).
    This was what stood out to me. The use of the word "when" instead of the word "if" seems significant, though I realize it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Still, I'd like to think it was deliberate.

Glad the Faker will be the same as the con.

As for the packaging..well my figures were not damaged but they need to pack them better because the prospect is there for the cards to be really messed up.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    Yes, but see, according to answer # 10, you'll get the product shipped to you over and over 'til it's perfect if you're a brand manager at Mattel. To get perfectly shipped product, I guess you might take the advice in answer # 6 and apply for a job by clicking on the employment opportunities section at Mattel.com, see if you can become a brand manager, and then one day you'll have perfect condition figures shipped to you! Yay!

I'll dig out my CV!

The idea behind the design was to take key elements form the original toy packaging (such as the cross sell, the blister shape and even the “belly button”)
    The belly button was a key design element? What about in terms of color scheme or more obvious graphic design elements? I agree with Emiliano here. Aside from the Masters logo itself and the belly button, the new packaging design on the new card front looks completely different to me.

The answer to the differences in paint apps from what we are initially shown vs. what appears on the actual product (and the blurb about computer monitor resolution) seemed dodgy to me as well. The example given for perfecting the shipping/packaging wasn't satisfactory for me personally either- and I don't mean that in a jerky way. I'm just saying that a company can do all the testing from within that they want, but once these things start going out to the actual customers in a rush/launch... all the testing goes out the window and it is a different ball game. And for the price of the shipping for these figures, and in regard to the high price point of the collector figures themselves, I think that's a valid argument/point and more attention/care should have been given to this.

Regardless, I'm glad that someone at Mattel is taking the time to post here and clue us in.
    Last edited by River; December 15, 2008 at 06:55pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Ugh. Too much corporate-speak and non-answers this time.

The answer to #3 is a total dodge, a complete non-answer, and it's actually rather insulting to insinuate that "we're just seeing things" and that's why the paint masters look brighter, instead of admitting they can't do it.
    When Beast Man wasn't bright orange like the prototype pics, I thought maybe it was a one-off decision to make him darker. But now I pretty much get the feeling they're just going to do the dull 'realistic' colors on all the characters. :/
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I Have To Call Them Out On Some Of This...

Um, the news section hasn't been updated since Nov 18, so it's been practically an entire month without "news"... they should use some energy towards the email newsletter, because that right there is what any smart company that wants to advertise things like... oh, say... "new product on sale now!" does in this day and age. Just saying...

3. What can Mattel do to ensure that the bright bold colors we're always shown on press photos are what we're actually going to get when the toy is in our hands? Even King Grayskull's colors in person are drabber than what was shown on mattycollector.
    We are always looking for ways to improve paint ops on figures. Many times early paint masters look a bit different (and sometimes it is due to the resolution on various computer screens) but we are very committed to producing the best product possible and believe me when we say every single day we are making changes to make collector figures better!

I really don't think the bright colors I'm seeing online and the drab colors I'm seeing in person have anything to do with my computer's resolution as it does the fact that something gets lost in translation quality-control wise on Mattel's part.

Something about this just sounds... I dunno... just "off" somehow...

7. What was the idea and process behind the design of the the new packaging design? Many people are confused why it doesn't look more like the classic packaging as originally stated, and would like to know why it was made the way it is now.
    We couldn’t be more proud of the way the new packaging turned out and feel it is a great homage to the original line while taking on some key design elements all of its own. Obviously not every fan will be 100% pleased, but we hope in time it will grow on you. The idea behind the design was to take key elements form the original toy packaging (such as the cross sell, the blister shape and even the “belly button”) and combine those with new exciting elements such as the identifiable Grayskull stone work and the power lightning blasts which resonate with both casual MOTU cans and die hard life long fanatics.

I have to say, I'd substitute that useless "belly button" for the original colors of the old packaging if I were doing a "great homage" to the original line, but then that's just me I guess.

10. MOC collectors like to buy figures in person to get the best condition possible. Having to order sight-unseen through a website worries MOC collectors. How well are these carded figures going to be packaged before they are sent out to avoid damage while getting to collectors?
    We have worked extensively with the shipment company to ensure all MattyCollector product is sent out to ensure blisters are mint. One exercise we ran through was giving them collector product and having them mail it to brand managers at Mattel over and over until they got it perfect.

Ooookay... I'm not even going to touch this one, because, I mean... seriously. Look what's happened!

1. to avoid production problems the Faker figure will be the same as the one online a month later.

good to hear it. funny thing is people will complain it isnt "exclusive" enough now

okay. this is pretty damn weak. i am sorry but even if you dont send out a newsletter you can send out an email letting them know the site is updated. it can be as simple as "mattycollector's (insert section i.e. news, ordering etc) has been updated. check us out.
    i work for a retailer and we send out updates and it isnt that hard. they have a VERY valuable thing and that is a list of emails. email list are GOLD in the retail industry and it is FOOLISH to squander them.

meh, i kinda agree with them. monitors are dif but not THAT dif. i guess i dont think the colors are bad though

pretty much a wasted question since all of these types of questions get this "WAIT AND SEE" answer.

this makes me happy. then again i thought this was a non-issue since i figured that this was pretty obvious. but good to have said and made concrete anyway.

they see you when you're sleeping...they know when you're awake.....

Jobs ey?.....hmm......

chalk it up to internal corp confusion and too many chefs in the kitchen and the loudest chef not liking the original packaging. i happen to like the packaging except for the fact i'd have liked more art on the back.

You’ll have to remember that even in the original line, He-Man only had one gripping hand. Skeletor was designed to hold his Havoc staff close to the top, so his right hand is a little more open. Some figures will have two closed hands, others might even have a closed fist. It will all depend on the specifics of the figure. Often this is a choice made by the Horsemen when they sculpt a figure and we are proud to follow their lead.

yeah i think i'd like to have all figures have 2 usable hands. when i saw skeletor i figured the hand that is more open can be used to hold the staff.i know some of the old figures had open hands but i dont like that idea now. i REALLy dont want closed fists(except maybe on fisto)

Yes, we do look at this and want to make sure that if we can get to a Battle Cat one day that He-Man will sit on him with ease.

do you expect them to say no?

sooooo....they still have mail the brand managers a few more times then to perfect it huh?
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Yeah this has to be one of the less informative answer sessions…really non-answers except the answer for the stands.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Yeah this has to be one of the less informative answer sessions…really non-answers except the answer for the stands.
    actually the first one about faker is pretty to the point. the one about the stands was a glorified wait and see. the rest was corp speak and spin with a little insight into their corp speak

Well, I hope Mattel does a better job in the future about making sure the shipping company does a better job, because a lot of people are reporting damaged cards, figures, and etc.. Whatever they are doing now doesn't seem to be working.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    actually the first one about faker is pretty to the point.
    Yeah, but what's with the "brag to our friends" tagline?

What are we, 7 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Yeah, but what's with the "brag to our friends" tagline?

What are we, 7 years old?

ummmm...nope...not me....i don't have ANY toys near me right this very sec

Mattel really had a chance to win us over with their 2.9 answeres, as many of the questions were very direct and pointed, getting to the heart of some real concerns the fans have. I think they blew it. It's like they hired some political spin meister to write the answers. What sucks is our questions are only going to get more specific as the line goes on so now I fully expectthe anwers to degenerate to the point that this q&a becomes worthless.

The next batch of questions aren't for the timid either - so whoever is doing the answering at Mattel needs to man-up and give us the unfiltered truth. We can handle it. Learn to treat adult figure collectors with the same reverence given to adult gamers and you might be surprised how well you're rewarded with our adult disposable income.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I think I officially stopped looking forward to Mattel's answers.

I can just answer everything myself by saying the following:

a) Anything is possible if the line does well enough.
    b) Because that's the way it is.

Also...the only similarities between the packaging is: a) a MOTU logo (different colour) and b) a "belly button" which I'm sure the MOC collectors hate because it looks awful IMO...

Red and Blue are POWER colours Mattel...and exploding bricks! You can't get more powerful than that. Now we have figures crammed into tiny Grayskulls that look like they were hit by a bomb. They're standing in rubble!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

well.....

I wish they were more "fun" question & answers.
    To tell the truth alot of this Q&A I could care less about . After getting the figures in hand I feel that packaging and figures are great. Paint apps are excellent and have nice vivid colors. The new packaging is alot better looking in person but then agian I liked it to begin with.
    My concern is for moc collectors. I opened my shipper and there is "shelfware" on them. I know that kinks have to be worked out to start with. I open them so no big whoop for me. I know however alot of collectors like mint cards and they should get them. Answer #10 is not a great comfort to them.
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.