Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 93

Thread: Could Mattel "sweeten the pot" to sell through the remainder of the Castle stock.

  1. #1
    Widget
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    33

    Could Mattel "sweeten the pot" to sell through the remainder of the Castle stock.

    It was brought up a little bit ago that on the Matty Forum, Toyguru mentioned that the stock reserved for DOS on Castle Grayskull, priced at $300, actually sold within two hours. The remaining stock is from those who defaulted on paying for their $250 pre-order. This was part of the reasoning for holding back on making a Snake Mountain: The castle doubled the workload for everyone, but didn't double the income. So now we have however many castles taking up warehouse space, literally losing money as time goes by. Additionally, and I know I'm an exception here, the castle was my entry into MOTUC collecting.

    So, just as a thought exercise, do you think it would be worth it if Mattel tried to move the remaining stock by giving a little bit more bang for the buck during something like the Cyber Monday sale? In the case of people who are interested in a big buy-in, say tossing in a He-Man and a Battle Cat for the $300 price tag. These particular castles were expected to be sold for $250 anyways, so tossing in an additional ~$50 worth of stuff both clears out excess stock and doesn't actually result in much of a loss. Alternately, even just tossing in a $50 giftcard would make it more valuable, while not particularly negatively impacting the cash flow of the items sold. In the case of the gift card the "cost" is directly related to the margin of the item being sold, at that. So if someone decides to buy, say, four packs of clamshells which probably have a higher profit margin than a figure with a lot of tooling, they lose little of that $50 gift certificate, plus because people have to buy more than the value of the gift cert to use it all, they also get an additional $10 or so they wouldn't otherwise get.

    This would at least get money back for Mattel, although I guess the risk involved would be like the dump to big lots: potential frustration from people who got it first or expectations that the same would happen if they made Snake Mountain.

  2. #2
    Le Samourai kantboy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Up in the air...
    Posts
    1,348
    They could actually charge 250 for it; no harm, no foul.
    Seppuku, Ordet, Bad Day at Black Rock, Red Beard, Johnny Guitar, Children of Paradise, The Seventh Seal, I Know Where I'm Going!, Barton Fink, Point Blank, Barry Lyndon, A Nous La Liberte, Young Frankenstein, Only God Forgives, The Leopard

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,518
    I'm not sure throwing in a "free" figure or two would encourage many more people to buy. I would expect that most people looking to buy a Castle Grayskull would already have the majority of the figures and beasts or at the very least key characters like He-Man.

    IF Mattel offered Castle Grayskull for sale at the original "pre-order" price of $250 and IF Digital River offered international shipping for Castle Grayskull at the original (lower) price, then I (and others) may be tempted to buy one. Otherwise, I don't see them moving any excess stock of Castle Grayskull any time soon. Maybe it would be something they could shift at conventions where people wouldn't have to pay DR's exorbitant shipping and handling costs? But, I doubt that is a feasible solution.
    Last edited by Haephestus; June 12, 2014 at 11:16pm.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    500
    Toy guru just answered on Matty and said the castle is selling well,and it's good to have a high ticket item around on the site.

    So I get out of this,the castle did great,but any other play set would bomb?
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,866
    I would be very annoyed if they offered anything 'new' with the castle that I bought when I was supposed to and honored my pledge... However, I could see a gift set or something with a He-man and Skeletor and CG would be pretty popular around the holidays.

    Just so long as the target audience is NOT the ones who already PAID for it. Try to entice some NEW people... but don't make me sorry that I bought it on week one, and need to spend ANOTHER $300 to get another.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Brasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ronkonkoma,NY
    Posts
    304
    I would love to have one but the price is still way to steep to get me to bite. I just can't fathom spending $250-$300 on it even if they included a few figs
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior Stygian360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,964
    Mattel doesn't need to do anything to "sweeten the pot". I don't like this phrase because it implies Mattel should need to lower themselves to sell the playsets that fans had already committed to but didn't buy for whatever reason. Now Mattel should be forced to find ways to appeal to those same fans in order to sell them what they should have (in theory) already purchased? Nah....
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Muncie, IN
    Posts
    1,947
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Toy guru just answered on Matty and said the castle is selling well,and it's good to have a high ticket item around on the site.

    So I get out of this,the castle did great,but any other play set would bomb?
    Or Grayskull did well, just not well enough for the amount of time and resources to invest in another large scale item again?

  9. #9
    Widget
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Mattel doesn't need to do anything to "sweeten the pot". I don't like this phrase because it implies Mattel should need to lower themselves to sell the playsets that fans had already committed to but didn't buy for whatever reason. Now Mattel should be forced to find ways to appeal to those same fans in order to sell them what they should have (in theory) already purchased? Nah....
    I agree with you, but I'm just wondering if there was some way to move the remaining castles given that people couldn't/didn't stick to their commitment. I'm certainly thinking of it more as a holiday set targeting new people, rather than trying to get people to finish their order. And it's been pointed out that it's selling well, as Horseman1981 and cbomb23 pointed out. I am wondering where the line between selling well, and selling well enough to justify making another big items is.
    Last edited by Vermilionone; June 12, 2014 at 08:22pm.

  10. #10
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    12
    I'm also pretty uncertain about dropping 300 plus shipping on a playset. But my arm could definitely be twisted if they included a long out of manufacture figure...say...sorceress?
    I know I'm in the minority being a new fan. But an appeal to new fans might just keep the line going a little bit longer, no?

  11. #11
    CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Posts
    1,982
    Snake Mountain not being made has nothing to do with how well Castle Grayskull did (and it did fine). Do a bit of research on Mattel earnings and current company conditions, it seems obvious to me what the true situation is.

    At this point, if someone has not purchased Grayskull (especially when it was cheaper) I am pretty sure that either the cost or display/storage space (or both) may be a barrier. Sure a few people may have had a situation change, but there are also secondary market options too.

    Maybe if there was some kind of deep discount it would encourage people to purchase one,
    We were specifically told that Dare would not be in 2014-2015, see the words straight from Scott here: http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...808#9101046808

  12. #12
    Evil Customizer smanomega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beneath the ruins of the three towers
    Posts
    2,184
    That playset will NEVER be worth the 300.00 they want for it. It was never worth the 250.00 they wanted for it pre sale either anything above 175.00 is just insane in my book. then to screw up the the whole CC thing at DR at chrismas time was a blessing to a lot of those people that backed out. They should have dropped that thing in the dead of summer so there would be nothing to conflict with it.

    Now this just came to me, Why not make a new sub where your monthly figure costs say 15.00 more BUT at the end if the year you get a CGS? 'scuse me while I go collect the pieces of my mind.
    SMANOMEGA'S "NEWER" CUSTOM GALLERY BELOW
    http://s16.photobucket.com/user/sman...?sort=3&page=1

  13. #13
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    5,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    I would love to have one but the price is still way to steep to get me to bite. I just can't fathom spending $250-$300 on it even if they included a few figs
    I'm with you. Maybe someday I'll find one at Big Lots....lol

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior SpiritOfTeela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Toy guru just answered on Matty and said the castle is selling well,and it's good to have a high ticket item around on the site.

    So I get out of this,the castle did great,but any other play set would bomb?
    What you get out of this is that Scott will pretty much say whatever comes to mind to defend whatever it is he happens to be talking about at the moment that he thinks folks will buy and that deflects from the actual issue, and/or his or his companies culpability of it.

    Yet another "blame the fans" nonsense bit.

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    735
    Scott's response doesn't make sense. We can't have more play sets because people who preordered it failed to purchase it BUT the dos sold out in a mere two hours AND mattel actually likes having a big ticket item available so why can't we get more play sets. His response is a mess
    ______________________
    I'm wanting to buy or trade for a set of the Wonder Twins figures *with* a Gleek that have nice solid clean paint applications. If you have a set and are interested private message me.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Cy-Chop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    128
    I can't imagine Castle Grayskull did well on a worldwide scale, I would have loved to get one but shipping and duty would have doubled the price. Now I'm just keeping an eye out for one of the elevator skulls.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Jor-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    587
    I pre-ordered but cancelled. Was just too much for the time of year it was released. I've got a mortgage and family to provide for, and as much as people try to budget for these high priced items, sometimes you just can't. And to release it at Christmas time, just unaffordable.

    I would buy one when I can afford it, but now they've gone and doubled the international shipping price for it. When pre-ordered, it was just over $100 to ship internationally. Now it's over $200. With currency conversion, this is gonna cost me somewhere between $500-$600. Not happening.

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior WolfAtTheGates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    Scott's response doesn't make sense. We can't have more play sets because people who preordered it failed to purchase it BUT the dos sold out in a mere two hours AND mattel actually likes having a big ticket item available so why can't we get more play sets. His response is a mess
    Yeah exactly what I got from it, one statement contradicts the other. You can't read into any of TG's replies, just take them with a grain of salt and move on.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Strongdar, Master of Acom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    East PA
    Posts
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermilionone View Post
    So now we have however many castles taking up warehouse space, literally losing money as time goes by.
    Looks like they have 716 left.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior AdultCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,895
    If a live action or animated movie was produced, It would be much easier to sell the castle, and other Classics toys.

  21. #21
    Widget
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    What you get out of this is that Scott will pretty much say whatever comes to mind to defend whatever it is he happens to be talking about at the moment that he thinks folks will buy and that deflects from the actual issue, and/or his or his companies culpability of it.

    Yet another "blame the fans" nonsense bit.
    I used to do community management for a card game company and I'd hear the same stuff from my bosses. "Oh man! this game did great! We sold out at the distributor level in 2 weeks flat!" Which was then followed by "But this is going to be the last set, we didn't sell enough to make a profit." I'm always, always boggled by that sort of marketing speak.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior WDWFreak53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,934
    Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    That playset will NEVER be worth the 300.00 they want for it. It was never worth the 250.00 they wanted for it pre sale either anything above 175.00 is just insane in my book. then to screw up the the whole CC thing at DR at chrismas time was a blessing to a lot of those people that backed out. They should have dropped that thing in the dead of summer so there would be nothing to conflict with it.

    Now this just came to me, Why not make a new sub where your monthly figure costs say 15.00 more BUT at the end if the year you get a CGS? 'scuse me while I go collect the pieces of my mind.
    Well...in YOUR opinion it's not worth the price...but for me, personally, I love the Castle. Could it have been "more?" Sure...but the sculpt is incredible and the paint apps are spot on.

    Worth is all a matter of a opinion.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lake of Gnarl
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Toy guru just answered on Matty and said the castle is selling well,and it's good to have a high ticket item around on the site.

    So I get out of this,the castle did great,but any other play set would bomb?
    I don't really get TG. First he says no Snake Mountain because CG isn't doing well. Now it IS selling well.

    Which is it?
    By the ancients!!!


    Lich Leech feedback thread

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior Hy-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Germania, in the Dark Hemisphere...
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I don't really get TG. First he says no Snake Mountain because CG isn't doing well. Now it IS selling well.

    Which is it?
    Is it really so hard to imagine that there might be somewhat of a difference between "it sold well (enough)" and "it did not sell well enough to merit going through all that hassle again"?

    Besides, WHAT Snake Mountain would any of you expect, anyway? Mattel is - for whatever reasons - still sitting on quite a bunch of CGs. For all ends and purposes, this is one item for which the overall look did not change drastically throughout different media and different interpretations. Yes, there were differences, but it was always a helmeted skull facade flanked by towers. But even here, those minor differences were enough to turn some people away from it, because they didn't get their favourite look.
    Now, take Snake Mountain, which has been so drastically altered between some of its appearances, it's neigh unrecognizable at times. How can anyone hope to reconcile that cluster**** of different images into one version that will not only appeal to most - if not all - fans, but also work in the context of the Classics line? Can't be done. The Horsemen tried to "bring it all together" with that statue, and while I guess it was the best that could be done in that regard, it was still a mess. It also could never be done even close to scale in MotUC that way without a price tag that will force most collectors to pick up another mortgage and maybe even move to a bigger place.

    All this considered, I guess there'll never be a Snake Mountain in Classics. I simply don't see a way how it could.

    As for "sweetening the pot": Yeah, that would go over well with the vast majority of customers who bought this at full PO- or even DOS-price, no doubt. If they're smart, they'd rather burn the remaining stock in their backyard before dumping it on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, Big Lots or tent sales.
    Every thread about every MotUC-reveal, ever...

    The Sword of Spector - forged in the scorching flames of nerdrage and tempered by the woeful tears of the butthurt

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior braxsis364's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Hy-Man View Post
    Is it really so hard to imagine that there might be somewhat of a difference between "it sold well (enough)" and "it did not sell well enough to merit going through all that hassle again"?

    Besides, WHAT Snake Mountain would any of you expect, anyway? Mattel is - for whatever reasons - still sitting on quite a bunch of CGs. For all ends and purposes, this is one item for which the overall look did not change drastically throughout different media and different interpretations. Yes, there were differences, but it was always a helmeted skull facade flanked by towers. But even here, those minor differences were enough to turn some people away from it, because they didn't get their favourite look.
    Now, take Snake Mountain, which has been so drastically altered between some of its appearances, it's neigh unrecognizable at times. How can anyone hope to reconcile that cluster**** of different images into one version that will not only appeal to most - if not all - fans, but also work in the context of the Classics line? Can't be done. The Horsemen tried to "bring it all together" with that statue, and while I guess it was the best that could be done in that regard, it was still a mess. It also could never be done even close to scale in MotUC that way without a price tag that will force most collectors to pick up another mortgage and maybe even move to a bigger place.

    All this considered, I guess there'll never be a Snake Mountain in Classics. I simply don't see a way how it could.

    As for "sweetening the pot": Yeah, that would go over well with the vast majority of customers who bought this at full PO- or even DOS-price, no doubt. If they're smart, they'd rather burn the remaining stock in their backyard before dumping it on Black Friday/Cyber Monday, Big Lots or tent sales.

    Im looking to buy another Grayskull, to stay MIB. soon as I get some extra money.I think we could solve our not getting, Snake mountain. issue if we all invested in a 2nd Grayskull, im sure MATTEL, would soon roll out Snake Mountain,I can see it happen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •