Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your opinion - 2.0s vs reissued

Your opinion - 2.0s vs reissued

I'm just interested to see what people think are the difference between 2.0s and reissued figures for 2016. For me characters like Fisto would be a reissue and characters like Roboto the goddess the sorceress would be 2.0s those figures would need to be fixed.

Yep, I'm more interested in 2.0s than reissues, but there are certainly figures that just need reissues (like Fisto or Horde troopers).

Definitely 2.0s. If they can make them better than the originals, then why not?

Reissued figures!

I'd like any reissues to be slightly tweaked. Take Faker for instance. If they redid him with the new ankle joint boots, vintage He-Man head, and painted his belt and bacers black those few subtle changes would drastically improve the figure.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I think it would have to vary by figure. Fisto was a great figure, just really difficult to obtain. A reissue would make sense for him. Everyone knows the problems with The Goddess, so she would need a fixed 2.0. But then, I wonder how some people would feel about buying into a sub that forced them to buy duplicates of figures they already have? I guess they could sell them or use them for customs, but I don't think I'd be interested in being forced to buy another Goddess, when mine is fine. Then again, I do need Fisto, so maybe it balances out?

Then the are other characters like Roboto that also had quality control issues...but I'd much rather have a 200x "Battle Armor" Roboto before I'd be concerned about a 2.0.

I have a feeling these answers are going to be pretty different from person to person.
    Come on Matty! Show me DRAGSTOR!!!

WHERE'S CRITA???? C'MON MATTY! DO THE RIGHT THING!

Heroic Warrior
    ID buy another He Man with balljointed wrists, proper rocker ankles and that damn good 80s face sculpt.

There are three advantages to 2.0s:

It includes the fans who already have the first release by giving them something worth their money.

It allows the long-term collectors to retain at least some of the value of their toys.

It gives Matty/ the 4H a chance to improve upon the work they did 3-8 years before.

The only advantage to re-issues is that it would be cheaper for Matty.
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM
    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Heroic Warrior
    Im not really interested in either. About $40 is fine for a new character I but Im not spending that on a tweaked version of what I already have. A few years ago I would have been in on 2.0s, but my interest has dropped off in this line.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    2.0's easily trump releasing the same figures.

Fix issues on the original figure (i.e., Teela's bobblehead, Battleground Evil-Lyn's lack of a 200X dress, Sorceress' wings, Roboto and Green Goddess's cracked plastic, Frosta's many issues, Fisto with a sword holder for his Vintage sword, Jitsu with his Vintage head, etc.), while improving on various aspects.

2.0's should fix figures or at least offer some new character element or option that the original figure didn't have. If they did a Sy-Klone 2.0, he could have the shoulder rings or a smaller big red ring. Stratos could come with hands that could grip weapons and his 200X monkey feet. He-Man could come with a Sword aloft hand, a better Filmation sword and a Filmation head.

We should still get variants, though. 200X Prince Adam, General Rattlor, 200X Sorceress, etc.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by stevediamonds View Post
    Im not really interested in either. About $40 is fine for a new character I but Im not spending that on a tweaked version of what I already have. A few years ago I would have been in on 2.0s, but my interest has dropped off in this line.
    So, let's assume you're a He-Man fan with 100+ figures, who has invested thousands of dollars in the line. Maybe this is the second or third or fourth He-Man line you've collected.

Imagine if they stop making figures at the end of this year. Things go quiet for 2 years. Then Matty starts making a new line, primarily main characters, but they are better figures than MOTUC was. Do you really believe or expect any of us to believe you wouldn't want them?

I get that we can all argue about what would constitute "better," but that's the challenge for a 2.0. It has to be so much better that most collectors would agree it was better.

If that vintage sculpt we're all getting in a couple of weeks is as much better than the standard classics He-Man head as it seems, we may be getting a look at what a true 2.0 update needs to be like.

Why make Matty go dark for 2 years instead of transitioning from the one line to the other next year? We can still get obscure characters at the same time. And at the same time, we could well get some new blood collecting the line for the first time.
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

I think that 2.0s are needed to keep the line fresh in terms of design, to fix problems with prior releases, and to entice new collectors. I think new collectors are probably going to want to start a collection with the characters they loved most, and there really needs to be an available supply of these.

For myself, I have the originals. I have no interest in re-issues. But I want to see new designs. For example, I'd like to see a New 52 Sorceress of Serpos to replace my existing Green Goddess. Love my Green Goddess, but she's sitting back on the shelf to keep her from breaking. I'd like to have one I can pose without fear of damage.

For a 2.0 line, I would like to see there be more design freedom. I'd like to see what the Horsemen could do if they weren't bound by style sheets, Filmation, and prior toy designs.

2.0 would sell to most, re-issues will sell to only a few and with 2.0 Matty can do a new production and justify it, as they have already stated no more re-issues they do not sell enough.
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

It really depends on the figure. I don't think that the Goddess or Roboto necessarily need 2.0 figures, just reissues with better quality plastic to prevent the QC issues. Not to mention have them assembled correctly. Characters like He-Man, I can see a 2.0 to give him features like the NA He-Man wrists, Filmation Sword Sheath, updated boots, etc. Any reissues or 2.0s should definitely be outside of the sub.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Mattel has it in it's corporate head that re-issues aren't going to sell well enough to justify them, and it's going to take a LOT to shake that belief (I think we're still trying to get them to reconsider the idea that female figures don't sell even to collectors). So I think re-issues are going to be a no-go. And given the dwindling fan base, I can almost see the point on that count. Only a portion of the fan base would want the re-issue, and right now we are supposedly just at the minimum number of units to make the subs worth making. Even considering that the re-dos would require nothing new for tooling or paint apps, it's very likely sales of reissues would be well below the minimum to make it profitable. I really think the only thing we may see is 2.0 versions, because at least there is some history of those selling (like the second She-Ra figure).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I want neither.

I definitely do not want reissues. I have every figure.

If you want a figure you missed, buy it on the secondary market like every other late-to-game collector has done since the dawn of time.

If we get 2.0's, they better be significantly different than the original figure. I'm talking Battle Armor King Hsss different.
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, CAMO KHAN, LODAR, EVIL ROBOT, DARIUS,

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    There are three advantages to 2.0s:

It includes the fans who already have the first release by giving them something worth their money.

It allows the long-term collectors to retain at least some of the value of their toys.

It gives Matty/ the 4H a chance to improve upon the work they did 3-8 years before.

The only advantage to re-issues is that it would be cheaper for Matty.
    I would add in the fact that updated figures have been said to sale better than straight up reissues. Being as their is often something new to the design for collectors who already have the figure means they are likely to buy a new one. For example using the She-ra's and He-mans as examples people have mixed and matched the parts to make their perfect version of those figures. Many are looking to do something similar with Teela. I wouldn't mind having waste articulation on her, but depends on what the rest looks like and I also know it's nice to have the cut but I am not really using it on any figure.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

2.0s for sure.

There's always room for improvement with even the most highly requested reissues. The Horde Trooper could use a more cartoon accurate head. Roboto could have snap-on 200X weaponry. Goddess would benefit from having Filmation Teela's waist articulation.

I would be happy with either, but I agree with No-Ah on 2.0s.

Definitely 2.0s. Make them more deluxe (and fix problems), give people a reason to buy them if they already have the standard version.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksun442 View Post
    I'm just interested to see what people think are the difference between 2.0s and reissued figures for 2016. For me characters like Fisto would be a reissue and characters like Roboto the goddess the sorceress would be 2.0s those figures would need to be fixed.
    To me it should be the exact opposite. Since the there weren't any major QC issues with Fisto, if they were to re-release him in some form, it would make sense to me to go the 2.0 route and make the figure different enough from the previous release that it may entice people who already have the previous one to buy him again, while giving those who missed out the last time the figure in their collection.

By contrast, with figures like Goddess and Roboto, I would prefer to get pretty much a straight reissue with the only difference being that they be made from material that will not be as prone to breaking/cracking (and in Roboto's case, having the shoulders corrected). The end figure would still otherwise look pretty much the same.

Past reissues have address minor issues like this. For instance, when He-Man was reissued, they removed the red from around his eyes and fixed the reverse shoulders, but he otherwise 99% the same figure. If we put a first release He-Man next to the reissued version, unless someone really familiar with them knew what to look for, at a glance most people wouldn't notice much of a difference (the only thing obvious would be the red around the eyes).

2.0 figures, while still hopefully on some level retaining the iconic aspects of the characters, would still have significant enough of differences that they would be noticably different when compared to the previous releases.

While I would like to see something like a 200X Roboto, the problem with doing "2.0" versions of figures like Roboto and The Goddess is that if they end up being different variants of the characters, then they really don't quite do the correct job of filling the whole in people's collections who have had their figures break from the poor QC issues. Some people may be satisfied with them as an alternative, but anyone either wanting a complete collection, or simply preferring the original released versions are effectively screwed if their's ever breaks (or has already).

In the name of the Lloyd!

There's no reason they couldn't offer reissues of characters like Fisto, Teela, Roboto, Sorceress, & Goddess with needed fixes or just more available. They could offer those out of sub, with slightly different packaging and paint tweaks so as not to devalue previous releases for people who are attached to such things.

2.0 where there are actual variance -- i.e. Filmation Teela, Mini-Comics veriesion, maybe a Shadow Weaver who is "vintage toy" inspired, etc. to help fill holes for those who haven't been on board since day one, but these should either be a mix of out of sub and very minimally within the sub so as to minimize alienating the people who don't want any variants and just new characters.

For the line to continue beyond 2016, some form of this is going to have to happen so people who haven't been here since Day 1 have some incentive to collect so they can reasonably priced versions of core characters.

except the last figures they made reissue waves for got handed out for free or sold at big lots for half their MSRP.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    To me it should be the exact opposite. Since the there weren't any major QC issues with Fisto, if they were to re-release him in some form, it would make sense to me to go the 2.0 route and make the figure different enough from the previous release that it may entice people who already have the previous one to buy him again, while giving those who missed out the last time the figure in their collection.

By contrast, with figures like Goddess and Roboto, I would prefer to get pretty much a straight reissue with the only difference being that they be made from material that will not be as prone to breaking/cracking (and in Roboto's case, having the shoulders corrected). The end figure would still otherwise look pretty much the same.

Past reissues have address minor issues like this. For instance, when He-Man was reissued, they removed the red from around his eyes and fixed the reverse shoulders, but he otherwise 99% the same figure. If we put a first release He-Man next to the reissued version, unless someone really familiar with them knew what to look for, at a glance most people wouldn't notice much of a difference (the only thing obvious would be the red around the eyes).

2.0 figures, while still hopefully on some level retaining the iconic aspects of the characters, would still have significant enough of differences that they would be noticably different when compared to the previous releases.

While I would like to see something like a 200X Roboto, the problem with doing "2.0" versions of figures like Roboto and The Goddess is that if they end up being different variants of the characters, then they really don't quite do the correct job of filling the whole in people's collections who have had their figures break from the poor QC issues. Some people may be satisfied with them as an alternative, but anyone either wanting a complete collection, or simply preferring the original released versions are effectively screwed if their's ever breaks (or has already).
    Quote Originally Posted by headache79 View Post
    There's no reason they couldn't offer reissues of characters like Fisto, Teela, Roboto, Sorceress, & Goddess with needed fixes or just more available. They could offer those out of sub, with slightly different packaging and paint tweaks so as not to devalue previous releases for people who are attached to such things.

2.0 where there are actual variance -- i.e. Filmation Teela, Mini-Comics veriesion, maybe a Shadow Weaver who is "vintage toy" inspired, etc. to help fill holes for those who haven't been on board since day one, but these should either be a mix of out of sub and very minimally within the sub so as to minimize alienating the people who don't want any variants and just new characters.

For the line to continue beyond 2016, some form of this is going to have to happen so people who haven't been here since Day 1 have some incentive to collect so they can reasonably priced versions of core characters.
    If they're going to revisit the flawed releases, there's no reason to not update them, improve them, and make them desirable to those whose copies didn't break.

In the end, it's the same as approaching a 2.0 of an A-Lister.

If you're going back to the well, why not bring out something better than last time?

I think certain characters lend themselves to a new version to fix the problem. Roboto is the major culprit who needs redone. He is a figure that will not stand the test of time. I would not really want to buy a reissue of anyone either, but an uodate i would.