Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 77

Thread: MOTUC Orko Design

  1. #1
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,196

    MOTUC Orko Design

    I was just wondering about Orko.

    I think the giant "O" on his shirt is pretty cheesy, and I though the 4H's update with an O-shaped medallion around his neck instead was a stroke of genius.

    It would be cool to get a smaller, more squat Orko like Filmation's design.

    But the medallion is one element I would LOVE to keep from the 4H design.

  2. #2
    Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    14,909
    I loved most/almost all of the 200X versions...but I've got to say...I HATED 200X Orko's design and characterization on MYP...but I LOVE 80's Filmation Orko. That being said...the 80's Orko had the same amulet 200X Orko has. He lost it in the swamp when he rescued Prince Adam when he first came to Eternia. Remember? So the 4HM can keep the amulet (make it removeable) and give him a wand...but I want him to look as much Filmation as possible...INCLUDING the "O". I say, keep his charm in MOTUC which he lost in 200X. Just my .02.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior King Tycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,254
    I liked his design, but his voice in the MYP show was one of the weak spots for me.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior MastersOfTheUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Plymouth, England
    Posts
    1,727
    I disagree 100%. This isnt MOTU 200X, its MOTUC and I think they should stick to the original toys as much as possible. The black O on Orko is a must have, not that gaudy medallion.

    Same with Stinkor. I read a few weeks back that somebody wanted him to retain the gas tanks on his back, but the original toy didnt have it so I cant really see a good argument for keeping it as these are remakes of the originals, not updates of the 200X figures.

    Just my opinion.


  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,254
    this is MOTUC, to be sure.

    but there's already proof that they'll retain 200X elements when necessary, such as Skeletor's bare feet, the painted gems on Mer-Man, KING GRAYSKULL, and I've heard mention that there's some 200X elements on Zodak, so there's enough 200X elements that the above argument doesn't hold up.

    of course, that's his opinion, and this is mine.

  6. #6
    Heroic Daddy to Hermione! Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    9,705
    I would liek to see an amalgamation of both designs. honestly, I love both verions of Orko, but, since Stinkor was mentioned, I have to say that I like the addition of the tanks. As Capital Zero has said (and says wheneer he gets the chance), this line has already shown a fair amount of 200X influence, and love it or hate it (I love it.), that's how Mattel is playing this one. Either way they go with Orko, I just hope he shows up sooner than later.
    I would like him to be a bit smaller than either version, to scale with the others in the line. A floating base is a must for him as well.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

    Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

  7. #7
    #1 Meteorb Fan! Joe Amato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,832
    If Superman, Batman, and Spiderman can have their logos on their chest, let Orko have his "O" on his. Poor little guy get's no respect. I hated the "O" necklace from the 200X canon. Let the little master magician from Trolla have his shirt logo.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    107
    I like both designs but if I had to pick one I'd want the classic look that's if they pack him in with another figure however If they sell Orko seperately and make him scale accurate with the rest of the figures I think they could include both the same way some figures include two heads.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,254
    I don't care much for Orko, for the record, and likely will not buy him if he's released.

    therefore, I don't have an opinion one way or another on how he'll be done.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,790
    As for Orko, I kind of liked the amulet as opposed to, as Twisted toyfare put it, the "target from God", it was all the other yellow/gold trim that I didn't care for.

    As for Stinkor, I don't like the tanks. The smell should be coming from HIM not the weapons that's he's carrying

  11. #11
    #1 Extendar Fan! JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    13,642
    I'd like an "O" on the shirt, but I'd like a removable medallion and wand too.

  12. #12
    The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    4,621
    Quote Originally Posted by MastersOfTheUK View Post
    I disagree 100%. This isnt MOTU 200X, its MOTUC and I think they should stick to the original toys as much as possible. The black O on Orko is a must have, not that gaudy medallion.

    Same with Stinkor. I read a few weeks back that somebody wanted him to retain the gas tanks on his back, but the original toy didnt have it so I cant really see a good argument for keeping it as these are remakes of the originals, not updates of the 200X figures.

    Just my opinion.

    This line has begun with opened door to elements of the 200x series. King Grayskull, Remember????
    Quote Originally Posted by joseephus View Post
    If Superman, Batman, and Spiderman can have their logos on their chest, let Orko have his "O" on his. Poor little guy get's no respect. I hated the "O" necklace from the 200X canon. Let the little master magician from Trolla have his shirt logo.
    and, I agree.

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,254
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    As for Orko, I kind of liked the amulet as opposed to, as Twisted toyfare put it, the "target from God", it was all the other yellow/gold trim that I didn't care for.

    As for Stinkor, I don't like the tanks. The smell should be coming from HIM not the weapons that's he's carrying
    oh, the smell comes from HIM, the tanks merely concentrate the dose!

  14. #14
    Born Villain dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    2,776
    I have to go with the Classic Orko. I really like the vintage design, so I'd love to see the big O on his shirt remain. I also like the idea of him coming with the medallion that he lost in the Tar Swamp. I just wouldn't want it to be non-removable and a bad attempt at replacing his shirt symbol.

    Also, I feel some people forget or just plain don't know, that a lot of the elements they believe are brand new or unique from 200X have actually been taken straight out of the vintage line. Orko's medallion is one, and Skeletor having bare feet isn't something created or first seen in MOTU 200X. Skeletor had been designed with bare feet well over 20 years earlier. So him having bare feet in the new Classics line doesn't add a 200X element to him. For all the non-believers, check out the MOTU Golden book titled "The Magic Mirrors" or just take a look at any vintage 8-Back card. You'll notice that Skeletor has had bare feet for a long, long time.

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,254
    but the figure having them is definitely a 200X element.

    the only variation on classic Skeletor was the boots only being painted on the front. I'm not gonna get into a fight with you over this.

    200X was the first Skeletor figure to have bare feet. It's as much a 200X element as it is anything else. Once again, I see people attempting to purge anything 200X from this line.

    why do you want to insult the 4 Horsemen in such a way?, why is their work on this line perfect, but on 200X it doesn't amount to a hill of beans anymore?, You wouldn't even have your precious "Classics" if it weren't for 200X.

    and I also see it as a slap to Emiliano and Val (even if THEY don't see it that way), who worked with those designs as well, and did amazing things. Once again, you wouldn't even have Classics without the 200X designs.

  16. #16
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,196
    Wow, I'm odd man out here, I guess.

    Oh well, I'll still get Orko regardless (since he'll likely be packed with a must-have other character or two) but I'll never like the O.

    Why not give Fisto's armor a huge F in the middle, or how about Prince Adam wearing a shirt that says "Hi, my name is Prince Adam."

  17. #17
    Evil Villain!!! adam03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    4,273
    A half Filmation half MYP Orko? No thanks! I want just an update of the original just like He Man, Beastman and Skeletor. Very simple concept

  18. #18
    Born Villain dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    2,776
    Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    but the figure having them is definitely a 200X element.

    the only variation on classic Skeletor was the boots only being painted on the front. I'm not gonna get into a fight with you over this.

    200X was the first Skeletor figure to have bare feet. It's as much a 200X element as it is anything else. Once again, I see people attempting to purge anything 200X from this line.

    why do you want to insult the 4 Horsemen in such a way?, why is their work on this line perfect, but on 200X it doesn't amount to a hill of beans anymore?, You wouldn't even have your precious "Classics" if it weren't for 200X.

    and I also see it as a slap to Emiliano and Val (even if THEY don't see it that way), who worked with those designs as well, and did amazing things. Once again, you wouldn't even have Classics without the 200X designs.
    The MOTU Classics Skeletor having bare feet is not a 200X element. 200X Skeletor may have been the first figure to have bare feet, but that doesn't change the fact that it came from a vintage design.

    Also, just to clarify things. I never insulted the 4Horsemen in any way. I love their designs on this MOTU Classic line just as much as I loved their work on the 200X line. They are amazing artists and deserve all the credit they get and more. I never said anything bad about the 200X Skeletor design (which is cool as Hell), you tried to put those words in my mouth. All I said was that the bare feet was not a new design developed for the 200X Series. I'm sorry if anybody liking the original line more than 200X bothers you, but that's my opinion. I'm not telling you to like the original line better. That's totally up to you. I just suggest that you stop trying to bash on people who don't think the 200X Series is the greatest MOTU ever.

  19. #19
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,196
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    A half Filmation half MYP Orko? No thanks!
    Who said anything about a MYP Orko? Not me.

    IMO, Orko in MYP was absolutely unbearable, with the worst voice over performance in an animated work I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.

    Basically, I want Filmation/cardback Orko, only with the medallion instead of the goofy "O".

    Oh, and I also want a single piece head sculpt, no removable hat.

  20. #20
    Evil Villain!!! adam03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton Canada
    Posts
    4,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Who said anything about a MYP Orko? Not me.

    IMO, Orko in MYP was absolutely unbearable, with the worst voice over performance in an animated work I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.

    Basically, I want Filmation/cardback Orko, only with the medallion instead of the goofy "O".

    Oh, and I also want a single piece head sculpt, no removable hat.
    I see what your saying now, yeah the removable hat was pretty stupid!! I perferred to speculate what was under Orko`s hat Also no legs on this Orko such as the 200X one had.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior MastersOfTheUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Plymouth, England
    Posts
    1,727
    Quote Originally Posted by hhhelmsley View Post
    This line has begun with opened door to elements of the 200x series. King Grayskull, Remember????
    Was King Grayskull not already mentioned in the original MOTU Bible in the 80's?

    Plus, this is supposed to be updated versions of the classic's, so thats what they should be IMO. Not hybrids of the classics and the 200X line, that totally 100% defeats the object of even insinuating they are updated versions of the originals, surely?

    So far, I've been completely satisfied with the MOTUC figures, specifically and mainly because they do look like updated versions of the 80's toys. If they veer away from that and start implementing more elements from the 200X line, I'd quickly lose interest.

  22. #22
    A big fan of Slush Head
    Mike Bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Quagmi swamp
    Posts
    9,161
    I want Orko to look like classic Orko. With the big "O" included
    And hopefully he won't be sold separately. I hope he comes with Adam.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Oh, and I also want a single piece head sculpt, no removable hat.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I see what your saying now, yeah the removable hat was pretty stupid!! I perferred to speculate what was under Orko`s hat .
    Especially if its completely POINTLESS. I remember when I first heard you could take off Orko's hat on the original toy, I was excited to see what the dark blob actually looked like..... Turns out a black blob.....

    if there's nothing to see don't tease us. If the hat is removable there better be a reason for it. Like additional hats with an arm popping out holding a wand or a bucket of water or something.

  24. #24
    Born Villain dedset13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Bedford, MA
    Posts
    2,776
    I like that hand with the bucket idea. That's pretty cool, I can already picture the look on Man-At-Arms' face!!

  25. #25
    Eternian Sorcerer zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    11,941
    I prefer the "O" for the MOTUC Orko than the medallion, but my big request is that he be in scale, whereas the original Orko figure looked- freakishly out of proportion and frankly out of place with all the other MOTU action figures.
    A new classics Orko would hopefully be not much taller than the lowest hanging part of He-Man's loincloth (um, don't mean that to sound as wierd as it does... heh...), and hopefully the hat will fit on his head much in the way the 2002 Orko's did, and with some articulation to move the arms and hands around. A wand would be great, and if there were a post to put him on (something along the lines of 2002 Tri-Klops' doomseeker base) so he could "float" that would be cool too.
    I dunno though, the Horsemen made Orko look so bad-ass for the 2002 series that this is one figure where I feel like a MOTUC could be a damaging step backwards for the character...
    I used to HATE Orko until the 2002 figure came out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •