Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Orko Design

Movie mayhem!
    I think the medallion would make a great accesory but if orko has it it should be removable. Also he should have his O... everyone remembers him like that. I DO really want him to be small though like a pack in. I will be buying every character from this line... but Orko will be the exception if he's really big again.

I actually had an eraser when I was a kid. It was of Orko and was almost the perfect size to be in proportion with the real figures.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

IMO Orko needs to be the same as the filmation cartoon/original figure.

He needs a removable medallion and the big "O" on his shirt. Make him smaller than the original figure (in scale for the filmation version) and pack him with Cringer.

Originall from Milwaukee, WI. Just moved to St. Pete, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    I actually had an eraser when I was a kid. It was of Orko and was almost the perfect size to be in proportion with the real figures.
    I'm pretty sure I had that same eraser, and I definately preferred that over the figure since it was much more in scale.

For the MOTUC Orko, I would rather he look like the original, big "O" and all. I'd be fine with the medallian/wand accessories, and as someone else mentioned, an alternate hat with a hand coming out.

And proper scale is a must.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    the Horsemen made Orko look so bad-ass for the 2002 series that this is one figure where I feel like a MOTUC could be a damaging step backwards for the character...
    I used to HATE Orko until the 2002 figure came out
    I second that. You guys probably gathered from now that I'm not a big fan of the 200X era. In fact, the only figure to me that is totally awesome and amazing is that frickin' great reinterpretation of Orko. He looks sooooo coool, like a mythical creature out of an old legend book or something.

I love him so much. That's such an amazing figure given how lame Orko was in the original cartoon. I just can't see how cooler the 4 horsemen could make him but I trust their talent a 100 per cent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

I am Professor Dire, and I approve this message...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimporama View Post
    IMO Orko needs to be the same as the filmation cartoon/original figure.

He needs a removable medallion and the big "O" on his shirt. Make him smaller than the original figure (in scale for the filmation version) and pack him with Cringer.
    "I will not rest until the last Autobot is crushed to nothing and Decepticons rule!"
    Clench: Decepticon Syndicate Director

Demonicfirefly: Is a pleasure to do business with.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    The MOTU Classics Skeletor having bare feet is not a 200X element. 200X Skeletor may have been the first figure to have bare feet, but that doesn't change the fact that it came from a vintage design.

Also, just to clarify things. I never insulted the 4Horsemen in any way. I love their designs on this MOTU Classic line just as much as I loved their work on the 200X line. They are amazing artists and deserve all the credit they get and more. I never said anything bad about the 200X Skeletor design (which is cool as Hell), you tried to put those words in my mouth. All I said was that the bare feet was not a new design developed for the 200X Series. I'm sorry if anybody liking the original line more than 200X bothers you, but that's my opinion. I'm not telling you to like the original line better. That's totally up to you. I just suggest that you stop trying to bash on people who don't think the 200X Series is the greatest MOTU ever.
    I'm not bashing on people who think that, I'm pointing out that people weren't bashing 200X when it was new, as a matter of fact, I recall just the opposite.

as for the Barefoot Skeletor, that is a 200X element. There might've been artwork featuring a barefoot Skeletor, but all of the figures, and his cartoon appearance as well, featured booted feet.

200X Skeletor is the first figure to have bare feet. I don't care about anything but the toys.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MastersOfTheUK View Post
    Was King Grayskull not already mentioned in the original MOTU Bible in the 80's?

Plus, this is supposed to be updated versions of the classic's, so thats what they should be IMO. Not hybrids of the classics and the 200X line, that totally 100% defeats the object of even insinuating they are updated versions of the originals, surely?

So far, I've been completely satisfied with the MOTUC figures, specifically and mainly because they do look like updated versions of the 80's toys. If they veer away from that and start implementing more elements from the 200X line, I'd quickly lose interest.
    Classics doesn't only mean the 80's. It's ALL the eras of MOTU. Why can't folks understand this?

Guess you won't be getting Mer-Man with his 200X trident and blue gems.

That being said, make the vintage Orko first, then make the 200X version later.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    IMO, the 200x version of Orko is far superior to the "classic" version of him and I hope elements of his design make it into the MOTUC one.

Back in the day, I used the eraser instead of the Mattel figure...

Movie mayhem!
    I think Orko is how we will know if mattel is listening to us for real. Its VERY clear that almost everyone wants him to be smaller and either a pack in or part of a multi pack with cringer and kowl.

If this doesn't happen and we get a large orko... well then Mattel doesn't really get it.

I supose a large orko that came with a pack in small orko would be ok, though i have a feeling most of us will put the big one in our closets.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That being said, make the vintage Orko first, then make the 200X version later.
    I don't at all see the need for multiple Orko releases.
    Give us one good one, and move on to other characters, IMO.

Classics doesn't only mean the 80's. It's ALL the eras of MOTU. Why can't folks understand this?
    According to who? You? Nobody else has said this and the fact that the figures we have seen are all based exactly on the original 80's toys seems to kill your argument...this line is an update on the 80's classics, its not an update on the 200X toys, at all. What even gave you that idea in the first place seeing as ZERO of the ones we have seen are modelled on the 200X ones except possibly King Grayskull who wasnt even part of the original line and was only part of this to kick it off with a never-before-released exclusive...

Guess you won't be getting Mer-Man with his 200X trident and blue gems.
    I'll be getting it simply because I want a complete collection AND I liked the 200X toys aswell, so its not going to stop me from buying it. However, I'd be much happier with the toys being based on the originals rather than the 200X line which is still fresh in all our minds.

That being said, I've seen the MOTUC Mer-Man and he looks just like the original with the original head sculpt so I'm happy with that.

I have to say a big O looks stupid for today's standards.

I had the eraser and used that instead of the figure too! Maybe we should check ebay and get the erasers again to use with MOTUC

According to who? You? Nobody else has said this and the fact that the figures we have seen are all based exactly on the original 80's toys seems to kill your argument...this line is an update on the 80's classics, its not an update on the 200X toys, at all. What even gave you that idea in the first place seeing as ZERO of the ones we have seen are modelled on the 200X ones except possibly King Grayskull who wasnt even part of the original line and was only part of this to kick it off with a never-before-released exclusive...
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Toy Guru has addressed the questions of He-Fans and She-Ravers on He-Man.org with cosmic speed.
    Check out his answers to your Round 1 questions!

6. Is there a possibility for the release of Fearless Photog, the winning entry in the design a figure contest back in the 80s?
    For the launch we will be concentrating on characters who had toys in the 1980s or were in the 200X series. Photog may be on the back burner for a while. If there continues to be increased fan demand we will look into the feasibility of this character.
    For TNI MOTUC Press Converence from SDCC 2008: The entire He-Man universe is open to character selection with a few exceptions. The only figures Mattel can't produce are any that were original and exclusive to the Filmation cartoon. As long as a Filmation created character was also used in some other medium, Mattel has the rights to make a new figure from it. Let Orko fans rejoice.
    Yeah. They kicked off the line by using a never before seen in the 80's character who was created in 2000. That's very classic. And he sold. G.I. Joe 25th, Transformers Universe Classics 2.0 and DC Universe Classics ALL have NEW characters who never appeared in the 80's lines. Classics just means under one big umbrella, not that they were stuck with anything that was 20 years old. That's why we have a modern Black Lightning, a modern Firestorm, a modern Sinestro, a modern Metallo, hell even a modern Batman.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 21, 2008 at 03:01pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    I have to say a big O looks stupid for today's standards.
    But Orko wasn`t released for today`s standards he we released for 1983 standards

Yeah. They kicked off the line by using a never before seen in the 80's character who was created in 2000. That's very classic. And he sold. G.I. Joe 25th, Transformers Universe Classics 2.0 and DC Universe Classics ALL have NEW characters who never appeared in the 80's lines. Classics just means under one big umbrella, not that they were stuck with anything that was 20 years old. That's why we have a modern Black Lightning, a modern Firestorm, a modern Sinestro, a modern Metallo, hell even a modern Batman.

Just looking at the quote you had there, they did say characterS from the 200X series didn't they? That could mean we see a Marzo or Faceless One sooner rather than later!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Just looking at the quote you had there, they did say characterS from the 200X series didn't they? That could mean we see a Marzo or Faceless One sooner rather than later!
    We ARE getting the new characters from the 200X cartoon, not the 200X toyline. The only wait and see is for the 200X versions of the original characters. So 200X is in MOTUC, but they are redesigned as if they came out in the 80's, not keeping their normal highly detailed look.

We are getting two characters who never made it to 200X and then two more characters who never made it figures at all.

Nostalgia means different things to different people. I've been trying to nip the definition of "Classics" from Toyguru once and for all, but he never answers, so we have to have that question answered through past interviews and actual releases. With the way MOTUC changes all the time with what was originally mentioned, the less that is said, the better.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 21, 2008 at 05:07pm.

I think you are grasping at straws using a Comic Con Exclusive used mainly to garnder an initial interest in the launch of a new line as a reason that they arent mainly basing this line around the 80's toyline.

From the look of the figures to the cardbacks to the actual artwork from the old cards used to explain backstories on the characters, I'd say this is OBVIOUSLY based around and made to pay homage to the old 80's toys and NOT the 200X line.

Once some of the figures are released looking distinctly like the 200X toys, I'll say you are right. Until then, your wrong, IMO.

And this isnt GI Joe and it isnt Batman, those lines and the way they are run and released have zero to do with MOTUC and so hold no relevence here at all.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I think you are grasping at straws using a Comic Con Exclusive used mainly to garnder an initial interest in the launch of a new line as a reason that they arent mainly basing this line around the 80's toyline.
    Obviously so far it's "mainly" drawing inspiration from the original assortment of the Classic figures.

(Even King Grayskull was retooled off the finished He-Man sculpt.)

But it's already been stated we will be seeing more 200x characters, PoP characters, and they hope to do some NA eventually as well. So while Classic is the jumping off point, it won't be finish line.

Btw, Toy Guru has also mentioned Prince Adam may borrow one of the thinner (compared to the MOTUC body) DCUC bodies, suggesting there might be a Prince Adam version more similar to 200x's more dramatic contrast between Adam and He-Man when compared to the Classic line.

Bottom line is we don't know what 200x influence there will be until it's revealed, but as has been said, there will be some.

We ARE getting the new characters from the 200X cartoon, not the 200X toyline. The only wait and see is for the 200X versions of the original characters. So 200X is in MOTUC, but they are redesigned as if they came out in the 80's, not keeping their normal highly detailed look.

We are getting two characters who never made it to 200X and then two more characters who never made it figures at all.

Nostalgia means different things to different people. I've been trying to nip the definition of "Classics" from Toyguru once and for all, but he never answers, so we have to have that question answered through past interviews and actual releases. With the way MOTUC changes all the time with what was originally mentioned, the less that is said, the better.
    I understand that, sorry if I wasn't clear, I was just hoping that quote would mean that we would see the likes of Marzo this year. I'd like to see a character such as that before the 8-backs are done, I have a Zodak and MAA from the last line (actually I have a few MAA), no Teela unfortunately, so therefore I'd love to see a NEW figure before getting yet another version of MAA etc
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

From the look of the figures to the cardbacks to the actual artwork from the old cards used to explain backstories on the characters, I'd say this is OBVIOUSLY based around and made to pay homage to the old 80's toys and NOT the 200X line.
    Skeletor being Keldor, instead of a demon and then going to Hordak to cure him from wounds inflicted from Captain Randor is from 200X. Raquil Rquazz and the Berserker islands is from 200X. The packagine and advertisements from Toyfare carry backgrounds from 200X instead of red exploding rocks.
    Yeah, 200X has no presence in MOTUC...

Once some of the figures are released looking distinctly like the 200X toys, I'll say you are right. Until then, your wrong, IMO.
    Just look at the packaging and ads. Hell, the bios too. 200X influence doesn't mean straight up 200X looking characters. But they are having characters from the 200X cartoon like Count Marzo, Carnivus, The Faceless One, etc. They'll just look like they came out in the 80's like King Grayskull.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Check out his answers to your Round 3 questions!

1. For characters who were in both the classic toy line / mini-comics and the MYP cartoon, which style will you use for the new figures?
    (eg: Queen Marlena)

All of the figures in the new MOTU Classics line will have a look that is an homage to the original toy lines form the 1980s. Characters like Marlena who did not have a toy will be designed to look like an update if she did have a toy in the 1980s. Exactly what her look will be has yet to be determined.
    And this isnt GI Joe and it isnt Batman, those lines and the way they are run and released have zero to do with MOTUC and so hold no relevence here at all.
    The idea is the same. An all encompassing line done right under the classics banner. Old and new ideas, not just the old ideas. And since it's working so well for those lines, Mattel is jumping on the bandwagon with MOTUC.

Remember, in 2009, we aren't getting POP or NA characters, but we are getting two characters who never got toys in 200X and two characters who never ever got action figures before. New stuff isn't Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    But Orko wasn`t released for today`s standards he we released for 1983 standards

That's why "today's standards" suck. You can't just have a magician with an O on his shirt, it has to be an O-shaped necklace for it to make any "sense". Everything has to be explained to death these days(the reason why Batman's costume has ears is explained in Batman Begins, Wolverine's origin is given a ongoing comic series, Boba Fett and Darth Vader's detailed origins ruined the characters for many). There doesn't need to be an explanation for everything. At least they still haven't explained why Jughead has an S on his shirt.

As if you couldn't guess, O shirt for me. Give him a magic trick as well!
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior

I won't hold it against you when we have our 200X Classics.

I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    That's why "today's standards" suck. You can't just have a magician with an O on his shirt, it has to be an O-shaped necklace for it to make any "sense". Everything has to be explained to death these days(the reason why Batman's costume has ears is explained in Batman Begins, Wolverine's origin is given a ongoing comic series, Boba Fett and Darth Vader's detailed origins ruined the characters for many). There doesn't need to be an explanation for everything. At least they still haven't explained why Jughead has an S on his shirt.

As if you couldn't guess, O shirt for me. Give him a magic trick as well!
    That worked back in the day when we were smaller. Nowadays we've grown older and more sophisticated, so we need to know more. Back in the day all you needed for a character was what he did and what side he was on. Nowadays, as adults that doesn't cut it anymore. Characters need to be more developed than "I'm (good or bad) and I (fill in the blank super power).