Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Orko Design

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    There doesn't need to be an explanation for everything. At least they still haven't explained why Jughead has an S on his shirt.

As if you couldn't guess, O shirt for me. Give him a magic trick as well!
    But isn't giving a character named Orko a shirt with a giant O right in the middle . . . explaining too much?

And I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I don't want my MotU to be as cheesy and kiddyish as Archie. *shrugs*

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    But isn't giving a character named Orko a shirt with a giant O right in the middle . . . explaining too much?

And I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I don't want my MotU to be as cheesy and kiddyish as Archie. *shrugs*
    LOL! Enter the MOTUC 200X thread...for those of you who want a non-kiddie Orko! Instead of squabbling over which is better, just have both of them! Bring out the vintage version first, then come out with the 200X version after the vintage version is long gone.

A vintage Orko with the big O and a magic trick for the old school fans.
    A 200X detailed, more wizard-like Orko with medallion, wand and ball of energy for the new school fans.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 22, 2008 at 03:35pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

As I've said in this thread, I want ONE Orko that's a combination of the two.

I don't think you can improve upon the 200x Orko for the style they were going for.
    Sure, it would be nice to have one that wasn't forced looking at the floor, but other than that IMO it's about as good as you can get.
    Plus, I don't think you need that much more articulation for Orko anyway.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    As I've said in this thread, I want ONE Orko that's a combination of the two.

I don't think you can improve upon the 200x Orko for the style they were going for.
    Sure, it would be nice to have one that wasn't forced looking at the floor, but other than that IMO it's about as good as you can get.
    Plus, I don't think you need that much more articulation for Orko anyway.
    Awww, no stomach joint?

The trouble with combining vintage with 200X is that you wind up ****ing off the vintage fans, who don't like extra trim on outfits, extraneous gas tanks, longer loincloths, etc. They don't like extra things that take away from Classic characters being classic.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I would say, include original as a pack in with another character, say Adam, done to scale, then later, when 200x figures start coming out, an 200x Orko, and that one I wouldn't be so picky on size (yes, i would be willing to buy a big 200x Orko)

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I have to say, I think I would prefer the "O" over the medallion. It's not that I disliked the medallion at all, but I am int he crowd that wasn't too fond of the 200X Orko design. The "O" feels more like Orko to me.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

I think when we're discussing the best look for a faceless, big hatted troll who floats off the ground since he has no legs, we're beyond cheesy. I'm sick of the gloomy, "realistic", over analyzed take on everything these days. Battlestar Galactica is so dark, I want to kill myself after watching each episode. The new G.I. Joe movie has everyone looking like leather clad extras from Blackhawk Down. Frank Miller is lined up to do his own dark take on Buck Rogers. Even though I'm 32, I'd much prefer a fun take on my childhood favorites as opposed to making them suitable for grown-ups. I know the switch from an O shirt to an amulet isn't as extreme as the above examples, but it also reminds me of the awful version of Orko we got in 2002. It may be due to nostalgia, but I still love Orko even though the entire character is childish.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I liked Orko in both cartoons, but I think he's had some of the worst toys (next to Ram Man) of anyone in MOTU. So, I don't even care if they make another Orko figure.

My ultimate preference for an Orko figure would be like the MOTU Homecoming comic done by Emiliano. That's about the only time Orko has looked cool (with no pupils, just solid-color eyes).

http://www.mastersunbound.com/specia...ming_page1.htm

I want him to have the O on his shirt, but with a wand and removable medallion too. The best of both worlds.

Mainly though, I want him to be the correct size at last. No more giant Orko!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Awww, no stomach joint?

The trouble with combining vintage with 200X is that you wind up ****ing off the vintage fans, who don't like extra trim on outfits, extraneous gas tanks, longer loincloths, etc. They don't like extra things that take away from Classic characters being classic.
    the trouble with combining vintage with 200X is that Vintage fans always get their way, and 2002 fans are left holding an empty bag.

Heroic Warrior
    I'll buy classic style Orko. Not on his own. Unless he comes packed with Cringer... OR actually, Man-At-Arms would work too!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Here's an idea...

Why don't they just make The Oracle...give him a 200X style Orko swappable head, and include a small 80's styled Orko in the package with a magic wand, trick and medallion? 2 figures, everyone's happy.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I think when we're discussing the best look for a faceless, big hatted troll who floats off the ground since he has no legs, we're beyond cheesy.
    Guessing you're a pretty big Filmation fan, so I'm not sure you'd be the most objective person when it comes to cheesy.

Your point is well taken though. Orko is already a pretty goofy, childish character by nature, but so far with MOTUC, it's leaning more towards the "serious" feel of the Classic MotU, so I'm not sure how well such a blatant lift from the Filmation (the O shirt design) would blend with the line.

I know the switch from an O shirt to an amulet isn't as extreme as the above examples, but it also reminds me of the awful version of Orko we got in 2002.
    And see if you're talking about the 4H redesign there, that's where you completely lose me.
    Given the concept behind the relaunch, IMO Orko is WAY up there as one of the most amazing redesigns of all the 200x characters.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Awww, no stomach joint?
    The only articulation I would want on MOTUC Orko:

Head/neck
    Shoulders
    Elbows
    Wrists

Possibly a cut mid-bicep joint, but not necessary.

And then as mentioned by many, a "plug" underneath for a clear stand.

Heroic Warrior
    I think Orko should be as cheesy as possible. He is after all the court Jester. He's supposed to be silly and make people laugh. Its his job.

He's no Merlin or Gandalf, He's no real Court Mage. He's the clown that dances to make the king laugh

You know, i always kindof thought Orko's charcter, more then anyone else, showed real potential for growth. Though i don't think any of that potential was ever tapped, or even touched on. Yes he was cheesy, but that just gave him more room for growth. Eventually, he could have been a major player amidst the heroes of Eternia. Guess that's a little off topic......

And see if you're talking about the 4H redesign there, that's where you completely lose me.
    Given the concept behind the relaunch, IMO Orko is WAY up there as one of the most amazing redesigns of all the 200x characters.
    While I still like the look of the original Orko better, the newer look is ok. What I hated was his voice in the latest cartoon. He also seemed a lot more annoying than he used to, but that could just be my love for the original line clouding my opinion.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

As a big Orko fan both the 200X and Classic Version I don't understand why he can't be an amalgamation of both to please people. Give him the medallion and the "O" but have it so the medallion would cover up the O for people that don't want to see it. As for his size he should be smaller than the others and come with Dree Elle.
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Wind View Post
    As a big Orko fan both the 200X and Classic Version I don't understand why he can't be an amalgamation of both to please people. Give him the medallion and the "O" but have it so the medallion would cover up the O for people that don't want to see it. As for his size he should be smaller than the others and come with Dree Elle.

Dree Elle wouldn't be allowed because she is Filmation. However if Orko is to come by himself and be in scale, then surely 2 Orko's would equal one regular figure, so lets have an 80's version and 200X version in there
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Orko needs to have the O with a removable hat, ripcord, and updated magic trick just like vintage! And I did like the 200x Orko but the line is called "classics" for a reason. It needs to be very similar to the old one but somehow freshly new.
    Nunslaughter rules in a world of fools!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1349 View Post
    Orko needs to have the O with a removable hat, ripcord, and updated magic trick just like vintage! And I did like the 200x Orko but the line is called "classics" for a reason. It needs to be very similar to the old one but somehow freshly new.
    King Grayskull...?

I think what we have to wrap our heads around is that this is a new line with influences from everything that came before, and that Orko could quite possibly be an amalgamation of every design seen thus far. I like all of them; I'm sure I'll love what they whip up for him. Buy what you like, complain about what you don't.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I think Orko should be as cheesy as possible. He is after all the court Jester. He's supposed to be silly and make people laugh. Its his job.

He's no Merlin or Gandalf, He's no real Court Mage. He's the clown that dances to make the king laugh
    Agreed that he's no Merlin, but as King Tycho says IMO there should be room for the character to grow into his own, so don't make him completely hopeless.

I don't know, of course he is the Court Magician (bordering on jester, but that's not his role . . . he's a jester inadvertently ) so the O shirt could just be a sort of "costume" that he wears while he's entertaining. I'd be down with that.

But just wandering around the palace, etc, there's no reason for him to have the O.

While I still like the look of the original Orko better, the newer look is ok. What I hated was his voice in the latest cartoon. He also seemed a lot more annoying than he used to, but that could just be my love for the original line clouding my opinion.
    OK, I see some of the confusion. When I say 4H version or the 200x figure, I am not necessarily talking about the MYP version.

In my mind, all the various takes are separated in my head.
    I LOVE the 4H's Clawful, HATE the MYP's, etc.

My opinion on Orko is much like yours, as I said on Page 1 of this thread:

IMO, Orko in MYP was absolutely unbearable, with the worst voice over performance in an animated work I've ever had the displeasure of hearing.
    Unfortunately the 200x line was not as streamlined as I would've liked.
    With so many cooks, the end result was several (too many, IMO) different versions of the same character.

For example, the original Eric Treadaway design sketch and the initial 4H sculpt might've looked one way. The finished 4H paint master might look another. The MYP character sketch might be tweaked again. Then the Mattel production figure might look a little different once again. And then Mattel would do some redesigns instead of the 4H on some characters. And then the comics were kind of an amalgam of ALL of those.

I understand that character designs need to be tweaked to be "animatable" and that Mattel has final say on figure paint ops and likely had their reasons for changing what they did.

But for a line whose fate was going to be so heavily tied to the success of the MYP show, and was so dependent on the support of kids to survive, it doesn't make sense to have those inconsistencies IMO.

Of course I'm glad that the 4H got to put as much of their style as they did on the figures, since far and away it's what appealed to me more than anything from the relaunch, but from a business standpoint IMO it would've made more sense to have simpler, more on model MYP animated designs translated into plastic.

either way - whatever the 4H and MAttel think is best. Just get the scale right! That's what's important to me about Orko...

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I loved most/almost all of the 200X versions...but I've got to say...I HATED 200X Orko's design and characterization on MYP...but I LOVE 80's Filmation Orko. That being said...the 80's Orko had the same amulet 200X Orko has. He lost it in the swamp when he rescued Prince Adam when he first came to Eternia. Remember? So the 4HM can keep the amulet (make it removeable) and give him a wand...but I want him to look as much Filmation as possible...INCLUDING the "O". I say, keep his charm in MOTUC which he lost in 200X. Just my .02.

I loved filmation OrkO!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1349 View Post
    Sorry, but the whole ripcord part of the original Orko was his action feature. Remember, Classics line figures will not have action features. Any action features from the original line will try to be recreated in a non action feature form. Like Mekaneck's neck being swapped out for a extended neck piece. The Magic trick, useless and should be discarded anyway. If Orko is made he should come with an accessory that is useful. Like a clear stand to create his floating appearance. Or maybe pack in an extra like Cringer. Or maybe an accessory that fans will know when seen. Like maybe his pyramid? After all, while Filmation characters can't be made. I don't see why not accessories that were in the show can't be made?
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Orko is a fantastic character, and I wish to see him very soon in the MOTUC line, but as said in another thread, he should be made smaller than the MOTU original and 200X lines to remain faithful to the cartoon. As far as I am concerned, the O in his chest is a must. The medallion would be a nice touch, but should be removable.
    Let the power return!!