Thread: The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Heroic Warrior

The Nightmare Before Christmas.

This year is the 15th anniversary of the groundbreaking animated musical fantasy from Tim Burton! with Blu-Ray and DVDs being top sellers now, this is one of the best Christmas and halloween movies ever despite the film being merchandised by Hot Topic over the last ten years.

Loved this since i was 11 in 1993 when i saw it in theaters and no, i'm not one of those stinkin' Emos.

I, too, love this move & have since 1993, and I'm also not an Emo kid

Heroic Warrior
    I loved how in Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 they used this movie as a level and they even made a video game spin-off.

You gotta admit the songs in this movie are very catchy and memorable as hell with stunning animation. But don't you just hate it when the Emo kids miled this movie with merchandise and obsession over the past 10 years?

Emos are like the downfall of society and the lowest scum on Earth who only think about being suicidal.

Heroic Warrior
    It's really not a Tim Burton Movie though.

he wrote the poem that inspired it, but he didn't make this movie, he was too busy making "Batman Returns".

The Emo kids don't bother me. I'm sure the movies longevity is due, in part, to those kids being as obsessed with it as we are, and all the merchandise that followed as a result.

Heroic Warrior
    Well ok Burton did produced it and not directed it, but it still counts as a Tim Burton movie though.

Heroic Warrior
    in the same sense that "Sin City" is a Quentin Tarantino film.

his involvement was minimal, but I suppose it's not altogether nonexistant.

and I do love the film. I just don't consider it a Tim Burton film (Certainly a Tim Burton STYLE film, and a Tim Burton INSPIRED film, but not a "Tim Burton Film")

This is a beautiful work of art, I love everything about it, the characters, music, set and character designs, animation and whatnot. I remember when I saw it at the theaters, I didn't know what I was going to see for we went with some friends and girlfriends to see something else that was sold out that night and I hadn't seen any advertisement for this film. It was great watching it like that, I had never seen anything like it before, that's one dear memory.

I didn't know this was an emo related thing, emos are kinda new here, I've only seen a couple of emo kids in my city, so I'm not sure what they're all about or what stuff do they like.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    in the same sense that "Sin City" is a Quentin Tarantino film.

his involvement was minimal, but I suppose it's not altogether nonexistant.

and I do love the film. I just don't consider it a Tim Burton film (Certainly a Tim Burton STYLE film, and a Tim Burton INSPIRED film, but not a "Tim Burton Film")
    No the screenplay was based (albeit somewhat loosely) off a short story written by Tim Burton. He created Jack. If you don't believe me just look at the credits. It clearly says, "Based on on a story and characters by Tim Burton.

In the original tale Jack the king of Halloweentown discovers Christmastown and decides to adopt Christmas with him filling Santa's role but he never has Santa brought to Halloweentown so when he goes out he runs into Santa mid sleigh ride and Santa sends him home. It does end the same though with Santa giving Jack the gift of snow.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

LOVE this movie. And also NOT an emo/scene kid. Hot Topic has ruined so much awesome stuff.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Also love this movie.

And I love Hot Topic for keeping cult stuff like this, and 80s toon stuff, available for us to get some cool shirts and merchandise of.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Heroic Warrior
    Well maybe Hot Topic isn't half-bad, they do bring out some good merchandise on 80's stuff that 80's kids loved but i just hate how they been ******* out this movie and making it some kind of merchandising fad even to those bizarro Emos. Although some Gothic chicks can be hot, it's just the Emo guys are just funny looking with black fingernail-polish and black lipstick with nothing but suicide on their mind and wannabes of that disgusting satanic Marylin Manson.

Here's the rub. It's COOL to be able to pick up a black T-shirt with the Thundercats logo on it. It's NOT cool that the same shirt is worn my hundreds of angsty, self important teens with little pants, zelda swooshed hair, and stupid puffy trucker's hats, cocked at a dumb angle, who love "irony" and feel the shirt is trendy.

What do I have to do to say, "I'm not one of these idiots! I like metal and I'm a legitimate geek, wearing the shirt due to an irrational love of the property!"

Fortunatly, I don't have the figure or pants to be mistaken for emo, but unfortunatly, I DO wear pants and a New Jersey Devil's cap, with said shirt, that make me look instead like I'm one Solo cup of beer and a shocker hand sign (I hate the shocker and all who use it) like a fratboy D-bag. Will people I wish to die please stop biting my style!

Cropsy: And actually, Manson is an Atheist, not a satan worshipper, and I have heard interviews that make me respect some of the guy, and I loved his Antichrist Superstar album. But he IS also as self-important and fake as the current generation that likes him. He's pretty happy with himself.
    Last edited by sonofblaine; December 21, 2008 at 08:25am.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofblaine View Post
    ...that make me look instead like I'm one Solo cup of beer and a shocker hand sign like a fratboy D-bag.
    I have no idea what you just said. LOL
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Heroic Warrior
    Ok so Manson isn't satanic, he's an atheist.

Quote Originally Posted by Cropsy View Post
    I loved how in Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 they used this movie as a level and they even made a video game spin-off.
    I only know of this movie through Kingdom Hearts 1, 1.5, and 2. I also have the spinoff game, but have not played it yet.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Just a City Boy, Born... He-Ant's Avatar
    Love this movie. Just bought it Monday. Saw some of the hoodies inspired by the movie at hottopic.com. They (the hoodies) look nice. Might invest in one or two.

Be well,
    He-Ant... the Most Powerful Skeletor Fan in the Universe

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    No the screenplay was based (albeit somewhat loosely) off a short story written by Tim Burton. He created Jack. If you don't believe me just look at the credits. It clearly says, "Based on on a story and characters by Tim Burton.

In the original tale Jack the king of Halloweentown discovers Christmastown and decides to adopt Christmas with him filling Santa's role but he never has Santa brought to Halloweentown so when he goes out he runs into Santa mid sleigh ride and Santa sends him home. It does end the same though with Santa giving Jack the gift of snow.
    uhm, I believe you, I said as much in the post you quoted.

but he didn't MAKE this movie, so it's not a "Tim Burton" Movie.

Ok so Manson isn't satanic, he's an atheist.
    and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by capitalzero; December 24, 2008 at 09:23pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    uhm, I believe you, I said as much in the post you quoted.

but he didn't MAKE this movie, so it's not a "Tim Burton" Movie.
    My point is I disagree with your assessment. Since Tim Burton created the characters the film is "Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas" It wouldn't exist without Tim therefore I'd hardly call his involvement minimal.

Personally it's always bugged me when the credits say "a film by [Director or Producer's name]" when said director or producer had nothing to do with the story/script. And how come the best picture Oscar is given to the film's producers? Shouldn't the writer get one?

Anyway, I'm getting off track here. Bottom line I say Nightmare Before Christmas is very much a Tim Burton film.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Saw some Nightmare toys at Ross tonight. The figures seem to be priced at $6.99. I have no interest in them myself.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

I love this movie and try and watch it just before christmas (along with Muppets Christmas Carol). Im not an emo either but I love the animation and the voice acting.

I was listening to the soundtrack the other day on my ipod and forgot how great Danny Elfman's singing voice is as Jack

JAG2045
    My feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=108414
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=jag2045
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=117706

Great traders: Blue-jackal/Fneh(2)/Daz/Royalt1us/Evil-Orko/Buythepower/Booster/Adora/Zodac101/tokyonever/lemure77(2)/Vess(2)/Scorpia/Buzzsaw Hordak/miscus555/tmc1984/General Hawk 7

it's just the Emo guys are just queer looking with black fingernail-polish and black lipstick with nothing but suicide on their mind and wannabes of that disgusting satanic Marylin Manson.
    Even though this post is years old, the record must be set straight. Marilyn Manson is not and has never been an "Emo" band. That is an insult to his band and his fans. However, I take the "disgusting satanic Marilyn Manson" comment as a compliment.

As for The Nightmare Before Christmas discussion, I've been a huge fan of this movie since day 1, technically even earlier than that since I did a book report on the story in grade school before the movie was even released.

NBX IS a Tim Burton film. Yes, he didn't direct it, but that is only because he had to direct Batman Returns at the same time and couldn't do both. The movie is based on his story and his artwork.

As for the Hot Topic crowd, it is sad that NBX has been a trendy property for a very long time. The fact is Hot Topic had been pumping out trendy NBX merchandise well before the "Emo" style ever existed. NBX has always been trendy with the rock/metal/goth crowd and when the "Emos" showed up, they jumped on the band wagon. As a true fan of NBX, I really don't enjoy seeing the trendy wannabee "bull" that is now associated with it. It's a shame that some people can't just like what they like and be proud of it, instead of liking what they think they're supposed to like.
    Last edited by dedset13; November 13, 2012 at 02:42pm.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Never been much interested in the toys, but I love this movie and I usually watch it every year the day after Halloween. Didn't get to this year, because I only have it on VHS and my old VHS machine gave up the ghost so to speak, but it ain't Christmas yet so hopefully I can still get a VHS player and squeeze it in.

YMMV as to whether or not I'm an Emo I guess. Although I am more of a grumpy old man these days.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Heroic Warrior
    Well there are not many movies that are both for Halloween and Christmas.