Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble standing MOTUC figures...

Trouble standing MOTUC figures...

I'm sure there are a ton of threads that have covered this, but I couldn't find them.
    Why do all of the figures seem to lean to their right? It's almost as if every figure was produced with the left leg being slightly longer than the right. Has anyone else noticed this?

Some of them have really loose ankles that cause them to do the Michael Jackson lean but I can't say I have any that lean right. But I don't have my figures at attention.

I had to fix some of the older figures, but since Fisto in early 2012, the males have mostly been with good ankles, Khan an exception, mine tries to fall every so often. Beast Man is really bad, but in the pose I have him in, kind off hunched with the whip over his head....he is fine, but he has bad knees and ankles. Keldor was horrible, Adam had a bad ankle, Tri-Klops mostly....but the Females still have ankle issues to this day. Worst was Octavia. But I've not had any topple lately, most are ok.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Nearly all of mine are like that. I generally have to straighten one leg more than the other and angle the foot differently to approximate the same length as the other leg. It isn't noticeable after that, and they're stable for the most part. It drove me crazy when I first started collecting them last year, but I hardly even notice anymore. I automatically adjust the legs after opening without even paying attention, lol. It's a strange thing, but it doesn't bug me at all anymore.

My Faceless One is the worst offender, by far. I ended up giving him a gown, like in the cartoon, and hanging him so he is floating. There was no other way of helping that one. The difference was too extreme.
    Last edited by Kreann'ot; March 1, 2014 at 10:54pm.
    Come on Matty! Show me DRAGSTOR!!!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    Man-At-Arms and Optikk are the only two figures with relatively loose ankles in my collection.

The absolute worst offender though is She-Ra 1.0 !!! I have her posed next to He-Man in my display, and her legs are so warped that they bow outwards as they go down (she is almost standing on the insides of her ankles now!) She is the only PoP figure that does this; I don't know what it is.... softer plastic or something. It's really weird.
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    My Hordak is the worst with the long leg problem. BA Skeletor and Faceless one Have the longer leg too.
    In the ankle dept. Prince Adam is totally jacked up. With She-ra from the vs dc 2 pack and red head Teela being quite loose as well.
    And my Catra has the bowed leg problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Man-At-Arms and Optikk are the only two figures with relatively loose ankles in my collection.

The absolute worst offender though is She-Ra 1.0 !!! I have her posed next to He-Man in my display, and her legs are so warped that they bow outwards as they go down (she is almost standing on the insides of her ankles now!) She is the only PoP figure that does this; I don't know what it is.... softer plastic or something. It's really weird.
    Oh yeah, I completely forgot about She-Ra 1.0! I have to stand her back up almost every other day. She falls constantly, but it is because of the shape of both legs/ankles, and not because the legs are different lengths. That seems to only be a condition I find in my male figures.
    Come on Matty! Show me DRAGSTOR!!!

I've been sampling different sizes of Kaiser doll stands to display my collection. I've settled on the black 6-11 1/2 inch doll stands and have enough for my entire collection arriving Tuesday. They look great and are just awesome.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Warrior
    I actually wonder, from time to time, if her lower legs aren't reversed... Like from the knees down, they put them on the wrong side. She's looked off since day one.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, She-Ra 1.0 is pretty bad, but for me I think Frosta and Netossa are the worst. I've tried almost every pose I can think of and they still fall over because the knee joints are floppy loose. I ended up just giving up and putting them in a storage bin.

Widget
    I just started collecting recently and find the loose ankles to be dissapointing. Has anyone ever tried getting some floor polish or clear nail polish in the joints to create a little extra resistence? I've had pretty good luck with this on other toys, usually with ball joint looseness.

People have said to use nail polish on them to help create some resistance. I have all of mine (except a few) on DCUC Superpowers stands, typically both ankles or knees on mine aren't loose. That said Mossman was a pain to get standing. Only other figures I really have much problem with tend to be those who are back heavy because of capes or wings, and it's more a gradual problem I catch them before they topple.
    The peg stands fight nice and snug on most of the figures, so it creates a bigger base for them to stand on. I think the only two not on stands are Buzz-off and Hordak because the peg holes are too small to get a peg into, but their feet are wider and I don't have problems with them standing as is.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

I have shelves that are big enough to hold the carded figures with some room in front of them. The room in front is pretty limited... And it's the only place i have to stand my loose figures (i don't have a great deal of loose ones anyway)

so i have a problem standing the figures from time to time. Especially big figures like Leech. So i turned to blue-tac (just any tack) ... and although it's not ideal it's pretty necessary for me to display mine. They stand up fine now... but they drop from time to time... although rare.

The only thing that ever causes my figures to have trouble standing is loose ankles. I have a few with really bad ankles, but none worse than Prince Adam. I have used 2 different methods to help tighten ankles.

(1) I use the rubber bands from the packaging and wrap them into the ankle joint (where they are no longer seen) until the ankles tighten.

OR

(2) I use a little crazy glue to tighten the ankle, BUT you have to continue to work the joint back and forth until it dries or it will be stuck in that position.
    Last edited by MOTU_Maniac; March 3, 2014 at 02:11pm.
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Faker is the only figure in my complete collection that keeps falling down!!

You people are forgetting about Prince Adam !

He is actually the best of the worst !
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    You people are forgetting about Prince Adam !

He is actually the best of the worst !
    Yeah, that is who I mentioned 2 posts up. He has the worst ankles BY FAR in my collection.
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

I have decent luck. Really only Beast-Man is an issue for me. Most stay fine with some balancing, though it does limit posing options. I do think Kaiser stands might be a good option. Better than the Mattel stands, which can be fairly useless, actually.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

My worst are:

Males:
    Optikk
    Beast Man (but I have since posed him on Griffin)
    Count Marzo

Females:
    Tallstar
    Queen Marlena
    She-Ra 1.0

Krazy Glue at the ankles is almost a necessity for most MOTUC figures. I once joked that Mattel should come out with its own brand of MOTU Krazy Glue and call it "Tar Swamp Sap" so it could be displayed along with all of the drunk figures that can't stand up on their own.

But this still doesn't help figures like Vikor whose "fur" cape is so heavy that you have to pose him in such a way that he looks as though he's vomiting on Demo-Man in order to keep him from falling. But within a few days, he falls anyway. I guess the only recourse is to keep it boxed up forever, which I'm starting to expect that this is what Matty wanted us to do all along.

"What do you mean he can't stand up on his own? You didn't try to open the package and pose him, did you? Idiot!"
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    Why do all of the figures seem to lean to their right? It's almost as if every figure was produced with the left leg being slightly longer than the right. Has anyone else noticed this?
    That has bothered me for so long. It's really weird. Not that much of a poblem if you put the figure in some dynamic pose, but if you just want them to stand straight (like I do with my Palace Guards and Horde Troopers for example) you really have to bend the upper body to the left or bend the left leg a little to make it shorter for them to look normal, otherwise they tilt to the right and it looks like they are about to fall asleep on the job and fall down.

Thought it was just me who noticed this, already kinda feared that I was just too stupid to pose them the right way

Mine all stand perfectly.

But then... they are still all in boxes.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Better than the Mattel stands, which can be fairly useless, actually.
    I totally agree. Mattel's stands have never helped my figures stand properly. They are more for display.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Mine all stand perfectly.

But then... they are still all in boxes.
    Hahahaha!
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Adam and MAA are the worst offenders for me. MAA has been in vehicles most of his recent display life (first Wind Raider, now the Sky Sled).

Beast Man is another but I pose him in a bow legged hunch to mimick his ape-like posture.

She-Ra 1.0 has long since been replaced by She-Ra 2.0 but I do remember her being terrible for standing. I made her my BP She-Ra and eventually just gave up. Gold on her boots were wearing away anyway.

As for the rest, some have slight issues but generally can get them in solid poses. Octavia, Kobra Kahn and Leech the trickiest.

NO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kreann'ot View Post
    Oh yeah, I completely forgot about She-Ra 1.0! I have to stand her back up almost every other day. She falls constantly, but it is because of the shape of both legs/ankles, and not because the legs are different lengths. That seems to only be a condition I find in my male figures.
    Actually my 1.0 always stood just fine. As for the bow legs....I see a few having said issue, She-Ra, and Catra for two. But I dipped my She-Ra in boiled water and straightened her legs, and she still has a slight bow, but nothing horrible.
    Recent....Eldor
    Coming....Arrow, Tung Lashor & Bow
    Wanted....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!