Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poe's MOTUC Reviews, Pictures and Photos

Poe's MOTUC Reviews, Pictures and Photos

Last edited by Poe Ghostal; March 27, 2013 at 01:38pm. Reason: Added Fang Man review

Cool work man......testify!!!!

Great review Poe!

Just a couple of things.

1. I mentioned it over at your site, Prototype vs. a Custom. The "mystery" He-Man figure at SDCC '07 was a prototype, not a custom.

2. Preternia is often what is referred to with He-Ro and Eldor and the dinosaur line that was going to happen after the original He-Man line but got pulled. Only a few things such as Bionotops and the Meteorbs got released under the "Powers of Grayskull" line before it went "bye bye".

The time period you refer to as Preternia with the minicomics and box art is often called "Pre-Filmation".

Sorry... I'm just a big fat geek flexing big fat geek muscles.

Otherwise, I love your review and look forward to your Beastman review!
    You and I see figures in a very similar light, thus I'm more akin to trust your judgments on things.
    (Remembering our previous discussions on Mattel's "Krusher!")
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

@Baena--

I came across the "Preternia" reference somewhere recently in reference to the early mini-comics...but your point is taken. I'll clean that up.

As for the "custom" thing, you'll notice I put it in quotation marks--that's because, at the time, people didn't know what it was and thought it might be some fan's custom (I think Mattel might even have, tongue-in-cheek, gone along with that perception--or at least didn't correct people and say, "No, it's a prototype"). I realize that it was, in actuality, a prototype
    Last edited by Poe Ghostal; January 5, 2009 at 03:21pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Great review Poe!
    Only a few things such as Bionotops and the Meteorbs got released under the "Powers of Grayskull" line before it went "bye bye".
    The Meteorbs weren't released as POG toys were they?
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by Poe Ghostal View Post
    @Baena--

I came across the "Preternia" reference somewhere recently in reference to the early mini-comics...but your point is taken. I'll clean that up.

As for the "custom" thing, you'll notice I put it in quotation marks--that's because, at the time, people didn't know what it was and thought it might be some fan's custom (I think Mattel might even have, tongue-in-cheek, gone along with that perception--or at least didn't correct people and say, "No, it's a prototype"). I realize that it was, in actuality, a prototype
    Fair enough! I understand where you're coming from now.
    When's the Beastman review coming?

@ Neo, okay that I'm not sure on, now we see my geek smack is more of a bark than a bite.

I just know they came out around the same time as the "Powers of Grayskull" line was coming out. That was a dark time for me... A time when I was more interested in other things other than toys and He-Man... It was my apostasy.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I just know they came out around the same time as the "Powers of Grayskull" line was coming out. That was a dark time for me... A time when I was more interested in other things other than toys and He-Man... It was my apostasy.
    OMG, you had other interests that you found more important then MotU?! Shame on you.. Jk man.. I have a Meteorb Moc and there is no POG on there. There is however a yellow meteor kind of subtitle underneath the Motu logo. They did apear on She-Ra though.
    Last edited by Neo; January 5, 2009 at 07:20pm.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Nice solid review!!! You made out the bad points without making them sound all that bad! THAT`S AWSOME!!!

Great job, Poe. You continue to rock, as always!
    Last edited by Uki; January 8, 2009 at 08:36pm.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Great reviews, Poe! Very well done, and I really like your pictures!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalorian30 View Post
    Great reviews, Poe! Very well done, and I really like your pictures!
    Wow--praise from Caesar!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Great reviews and pics, and a perspective on the packaging that hadn't occurred to me. Looking at it now, I can see it does have the same feel as a lot of the early paintings on the vehicles and such. It's not as out of left field as a lot of folks originally thought.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I just read the Beast Man Review; great stuff! I too always cringe as I type "BM" in reference to him...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

No new reviews yet (obviously), but I do have a new poll up about what people would like to see as an SDCC exclusive:

http://www.poeghostal.com/2009/01/new-poll-2.html

I'd rather have the figures in your poll be regular releases than con exclusives.

I want (and expect) the SDCC exclusive to be the Green Goddess. It'd be a simple Teela repaint.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; January 10, 2009 at 09:44pm.

And Fearless Photog comes out of nowhere! A three-way tie (as of this writing): http://www.poeghostal.com/

One variant I should have included was "Savage He-Man," although I'm unsure what accessories he should come with.

----
    Updated with more reviews! Stratos coming soon.

Another fine review, Poe.

I'm looking forward to Stratos (though I'll actually have him in hand when I read it).

Excellent reviews. Well done!
    Who has the Power?

Another great review, Poe! I also cannot wait for Stratos', although I will hopefully have mine as well at the time. Great stuff!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Poe Ghostal View Post
    Poe! Another wonderful review - I look forward to these as much as I look forward to a new MOTUC every month now!

Question: Where did you pick up the clear display stand that gives Stratos some elevation?

Quote Originally Posted by Bandalero View Post
    Poe! Another wonderful review - I look forward to these as much as I look forward to a new MOTUC every month now!
    Aw, shucks! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandalero View Post
    Question: Where did you pick up the clear display stand that gives Stratos some elevation?
    They're called Whippy Superpose. Do an eBay search for "astion" It'll be under the Stores items.

EDIT: Wait, the stand I mostly used in that particular review was the so-called "Doop stand" from various Marvel Legends figures. I had to use the clip from the Whippy Superpose stand to hold him in place, though. I use the Whippy stand in a lot of my other shots.
    Last edited by Poe Ghostal; February 27, 2009 at 12:42pm.

Question, Poe: When you cut the wings loose on Stratos, you said they could be used "like a normal point of articulation." I'm wary of modifying expensive product, so I wana make sure of what you mean here. The wings don't spin around freely, right? They are tight and stay in the position that you place them in?
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    The wings don't spin around freely, right? They are tight and stay in the position that you place them in?
    On my figure, the wings hold whatever position I spin them to, yes. I don't want to guarantee your figure will definitely do exactly the same thing, but every post I've seen from someone who modified the figure says it turned out fine.