Thread: Discussion about gory/bloody drivers education videos

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar

Discussion about gory/bloody drivers education videos

I remember when I turned 16 and was getting my license I used to hear from other students about them, but I never saw one and I don't know anyone who has either.

Do any really exist or was it all a hoax of some sort??

Heroic Warrior
    I know what you're talking about and I would hear people talk about them too, but I've never seen them either. I always thought it was a hoax like when someone tells you that a certain class is really hard and the teacher is really mean. You get to that class the teacher is nice and the class is really easy. But, I'm sure that those videos do exsist somewhere, but I was taught driver's ed in public school. The closest I've seen to these videos are world's most dangerous police chases
    Last edited by Hordack; January 5, 2009 at 11:25pm.

The one I remember watching was in black and white, parents said it was probably the same one they watched. I want to say they showed some simulated car wrecks, at one point a line of people laying down like dead bodies. I don't remember it being particularly gruesome per se but it has been 15 years since I would have seen it. I do know that about once every three years the local highschool does a simulated wreck on the premises with students made up to be dead and they go through the whole process of it was an actual accident.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    I saw them when I was 16. The sherrif's department showed them and if you went to the presentation, you got 2 hours credit for 1 hour of class. I was warned but I wasn't bothered to much by it. I'm sick guy to begin with.

They showed severly injured people with noses torn off. I see a few people with eyeballs torn out. A few decapitations and they explained how they were not wearning a seatbelt. I also saw how people would burn inside cars and their body fat would met them to the car seats. It was pretty gruesome stuff and I remember a few girls getting up and leaving. It didn't affect me any.
    We survived the long night.... MOTU Forever!

I saw them in drivers ed, probably the most scary part of the day other than running into cones and crap

There's a documentary on those films, I can't remember the title, but the special features include some of them.

You can also find some of them on archive.org.

Yes, they're real.

The ones I saw were produced by the Ohio Highway Patrol. I had to watch them as a part of Driver's Ed.

pepto bismol enthusiast Impulse's Avatar
    oh yeah, I watched one. Hardly can remember it, I do remember the teacher went out of the class room and I MSTied the hell out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Impulse View Post
    I MSTied the hell out of it.
    hmmm???

BTW, ironic that the thread right above this one (when I was reading) is "What are you Drinking?"
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by hijinio View Post
    hmmm???

BTW, ironic that the thread right above this one (when I was reading) is "What are you Drinking?"
    He Mystery Science Theater'ed it!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by hijinio View Post
    hmmm???
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    He Mystery Science Theater'ed it!

MSTing:

MSTing = Offering a (snarky) running commentary on the action taking place onscreen.
    Last edited by Mirage; January 6, 2009 at 05:46am.

Don't remember seeing anything gory in Driver's Ed. I remember a video that showed the effects of folks driving under the influence. It was a controlled study type of thing.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I don't think these videos are used much any more. Of course, these days driver's ed is kind of a rare thing; it's one of the first things schools cut when money gets tight. We never had them in my driver's ed class, but my wife remembers them. So maybe it varied by state as well.

They are probably afraid it would offend people, now. That's the cardinal sin, don't you know, offending people.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

They are real. The Highway Patrol produces them and someone gave me a VHS with all the CHP Videos Released for California (wonder if it's worth anything).
    They are pretty Gruesome showing Brains on the road and stuff like that. They run about 10 mins each.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman11 View Post
    The one I remember watching was in black and white, parents said it was probably the same one they watched. I want to say they showed some simulated car wrecks, at one point a line of people laying down like dead bodies. I don't remember it being particularly gruesome per se but it has been 15 years since I would have seen it. I do know that about once every three years the local highschool does a simulated wreck on the premises with students made up to be dead and they go through the whole process of it was an actual accident.
    I think I was shown a video like that. I remember it being in black and white and showing an accident and the EMTs coming to the rescue. Then it showed doctors giving the family the bad news but nothing I remember seeing in that video came close to gruesome for me. There was also a video about insurance and how tickets affect the rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Don't remember seeing anything gory in Driver's Ed. I remember a video that showed the effects of folks driving under the influence. It was a controlled study type of thing.
    I think I've seen this video too. My school played it right before they did the mock accident. The SADD chapter put on a mock accident right before prom or homecoming. I think that was the closest to gruesome that I have seen that involved cars. Science classes are another story.

I WANTED to see those when I took Driver's Ed. We never did.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Heroic Warrior
    Yep, my Driver's Ed teacher collected 'em.

loved showing 'em off.