Thread: If you were starting again and having to play catchup, what would be the first items

Widget

If you were starting again and having to play catchup, what would be the first items

So I've only just started getting MOTUC figures, and am playing a big game of catch up via eBay. If you were in the same boat, what would you get first?

Castle Grayskull, the key Filmation characters, the recent releases?

I'd be interested to know people's picks to guide me.
    Last edited by RedDevilAde; June 11, 2015 at 09:18am.

My picks would be:

Adora
    Teela
    He-Man
    Skeletor
    Evil-Lyn
    Sorceress
    Hordak
    Catra
    Glimmer
    Bow
    King Hsss
    Tung Lashor
    Rattlor
    And
    King Randor and Queen Marlena

after that everyone who you like!

But this is purely out of a character importance to the story point of view. When it comes to design and favoritism this list would be a very different one
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Well, one lesson I've learned since starting to collect this line is patience. There's still good deals to be had, especially if you're buying in bulk. That being said, these are the top ten figures I'd be after first, in roughly this order:

He-Man
    Skeletor
    Man at Arms
    Beast-man
    Battlecat
    Castle Grayskull
    Moss Man
    Buzz Off
    Orko
    Two Bad
    Last edited by SonOfHeMan; June 11, 2015 at 06:38pm.

A "few" of my personal MOTU essentials...

Castle Grayskull
    He-Man
    Skeletor
    Demo-Man (or perhaps just that sweet Alcala Skeletor head? Though the figure itself IS a stand-out piece in the collection!)
    Teela
    Shokoti
    Evil-Lyn
    Battle Cat
    Tri-Klops
    Man-At-Arms
    Orko/Prince Adam
    Draego-Man
    Sy-Klone
    Trap-Jaw
    Sorceress
    Next Ten Most Wanted: Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

He-Man
    Skeletor
    Beastman
    EvilLyn Yellow or Battleground
    Man At arms
    Stratos
    Orko with adam
    Adora
    Hordak
    Zodak
    KingGrayskull with orb
    Snake armor He-Man vs Battle armor King Hssss
    Battle cat
    Panthor
    Battle Lion
    Eternos Palace King Randor
    Queen Marlena
    Palace guards
    Horde Troopers
    Hover Robots
    Castle Grayskull
    Looking forward to a very bright 2016 with MOTUC Collectors Choice, He-Man and the Masters Of the Universe animated Filmation line, Thundercats & SNAKE MOUNTAIN

I think I'd go with what I originally planned only to get - the first 4 vintage waves. But if I had to pace myself, I'd get them 1 wave at a time as my love of the figures diminished with each subsequent wave.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDevilAde View Post
    So I've only just started getting MOTUC figures, and am playing a big game of catch up via eBay. If you were in the same boat, what would you get first?
    All the Evil Warriors but particularly Skeletor, Mer-Man, Trap Jaw, and Scare Glow.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

1. I'd take out a 2nd mortgage on my house
    2. I'd sell a kidney
    3. I'd sell my blood and plasma
    4. I'd sell my firstborn child
    5. I'd win the lottery
    5. With all that money, I'd easily be able to buy at least 3 or 4 of the rarer, most necessary figures.

I would start with Castle Grayskull, it is essential to the Classics collection and then anything still in the Matty store...and what they put up again from stock each month and watch the marketplace closely for big deals on the $$$ figures!
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Castle Grayskull
    He-Man
    Skeletor
    Man at Arms
    Mer-Man
    Battle Cat
    Panthor

A 2016 subscription.
    WHERE IS THE TRANSPARENCY?

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

3 Club Eternia, 3 Club 200X, 2 Collectors' Choice. 1 Beast Man. 1 Camo Khan. 1 Granymyr

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

The cheap stuff. The expensive stuff will get cheaper over time in most cases - in many cases, figures are already going down from their "peak" a year or two ago. Only get the really expensive stuff if it's something you really, really must have. Plus, give 2016 is up in the air - there may be new versions of classic characters that you prefer that you can pick up at retail price instead of paying $100+ for versions you might not like as much.

Anything that came out originally in 1982 or 1983. Buy in a lot if you can, or be patient and wait for good deals on ebay auctions (not buy it now). Sometimes good deals pop up in the marketplace here too.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

I would say, buy what characters you like the most. But if you want them all, I'd suggest...now these are just my favorites...

*Toys r us He-man
    *Toys r us Skeletor
    *Webstor
    *Clawful
    *Battlecat
    *Plundor
    *Fisto
    *Snakeface
    *Rattlor
    *Filmation Hordak

I would probably do exactly what I did this time... be determined just to get a few and end up slowly getting over 150 figures.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

It depends on your favorites. Are you a Filmation guy, a Minicomics fa, a niche area collector? Do you intend to build it out into a complete set eventually? I say, focus on what you like best first, unless a fantastic deal pops up (and they do!).

If you want to get some tough deals taken care of first, track down a Teela, Beast-Man, or other pricey figure.

For classic simplicity, stick to the 8-Back Gang.

If you're just asking me, I'd start with He-Man, Skeketor, their cats, Castle Grayskull, MAA, Mer-Man, Teela, Beast Man, Evil Lyn, Stratos, and Orko.

Plus Spector. Gotta have Spector.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Heroic Warrior Bender Rodríguez's Avatar
    Easy, if you're a completist, get Sorceress, Fisto, Shadow Weaver, Beast Man, Teela, a couple Horde Troopers 2-Pack, Tri-Klops and Trap Jaw.

I was in the same boat in August of 2011. My first figures were Adora and She-Ra from eBay. I was able to score Buzz-Off and Man-E-Faces off Matty. Can't remember the order after that, but Catra, Bow, Hordak, Grizzlor, He-Man, and Skeletor were all fairly rapid acquisitions.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2016!!!

OTHER TOP PRIORITIES: Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian and Gleep Admiral Scurvey and Squall Starburst She-Ra Grot Spyster Caz & Drissi Crystal Moonbeam Crystal Sun Dancer Meliac NA Prince Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Karg Kowla Red Eye

Evil Master of Spaghetti Kobra Khan's Avatar
    Although I'm a completist and currently own everything, if I had to start over at this point in the line I'd focus on everything that had a toy in the '82/'87 period, skipping concepts, Filmation, 200x, new stuff and POP entirely. I would consider New Adventures tho, but not before completing vintage.
    Pasta la vista, baby!

NA, 11 more to go! Vizar, Nocturna, Kayo, Sagitar, Artilla, Spinwit, Lizorr, Quakke, Hoove, Butthead, Staghorn.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I would get a mixture of the best figures in the line as well as the heavy hitters.

He-Man
    Skeletor
    King Hsss
    She-Ra / Bubble Power
    Trap Jaw
    Rattlor
    Tung Lashor
    Hordak
    Scorpia
    Ram Man
    Webstor
    Spikor
    Draego-Man
    Man-At-Arms (Battle Ram version is also cool)
    Evil-Lyn
    Mermista
    Catra
    Orko
    Adora
    Adam
    Modulok
    Icer

Then I'd sign up for 2016 - 2.0 versions of the main characters are said to be included (Filmation Teela was teased)
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    1. I'd take out a 2nd mortgage on my house
    2. I'd sell a kidney
    3. I'd sell my blood and plasma
    4. I'd sell my firstborn child
    5. I'd win the lottery
    5. With all that money, I'd easily be able to buy at least 3 or 4 of the rarer, most necessary figures.
    Unfortunately you almost have to do all that in this day and age.

It would be impossible to control my spending lol.

If money were not a concern, this would be my top wants:

She-Ra
    Bubble Power She-Ra
    He-Man
    Adam & Orko
    Adora
    Battle Cat
    Swift Wind
    Filmation Hordak
    Shadow Weaver
    Catra
    Scorpia
    Skeletor
    BG Evil-Lyn
    Sorceress
    Teela
    Man-At-Arms
    Battle Ram
    Beast Man
    Tri-Klops
    Mantenna
    Netossa
    Marlena & Cringer
    He-Ro
    Spinnerella
    Angella
    Mermista
    Loo-Kee & Kowl
    Bow
    Sweet Bee
    Flutterina
    Double Trouble
    Castaspella
    Icer
    Whiplash
    Clawful
    Sea Hawk
    Octavia
    Ram Man
    Evil-Lyn
    Leech
    Grizzlor
    Frosta
    Glimmer
    Shokoti
    Entrapta
    King Hiss
    Rattlor
    Tung Lashor
    Gwildor
    Blade
    Battle Armor Skeletor
    NA He-Man
    NA She-Ra
    Castle Grayskull
    The Goddess
    The Star Sisters
    A Want List of Sorts: Filmation Tung Lasher, Roton, Skelcon, POP costume She-Ra / Starburst She-Ra, Lodar, and all the other POP, Filmation, & NA characters.

I would focus on patiently searching for the best price for someone's collection on Ebay on sold on the .Org marketplace. Ordering small groups or individual figures can cost you hundreds of dollars in shipping and other fees.

Here are the ones that I feel were translated into classics with the highest quality while still being somewhat affordable these days:

Faker
    She-Ra/Bubble Power She-Ra
    Stratos (Preferably TRU)
    Sy-Klone
    Mer-Man
    Moss Man
    Any of the Snake Men
    Webstor
    Fearless Photog
    Jitsu
    Ninjor
    Clamp Champ
    Blade
    Two Bad
    Man-E-Faces

Also, seriously consider giving New Adventures a chance if you don't already. All of the NA entries so far have been amazing and excellent translations. They're both underrated and undervalued aside from Optikk. If you're open-minded then I'd purchase the following while they're still super cheap:

Karatti
    Flogg
    Icarius
    Slushhead
    Hydron
    NA She-Ra
    NA He-Man
    Strobo
    Rokkon/Stonedar set

Heroic Warrior
    I personally would go after the core characters and get those out of the way. stated back in 2009 with Randor and after that I was able to get a lot of the core characters. I was able to get Teela from back in 2010 from the Black Friday cyber Monday sale.