Thread: No more Demo-Man??

No more Demo-Man??

I got my Skeletor figure today.

It's wonderful (though, the paint on his face could have been applied better), but I noticed that it has the OLD bio on the card-back.

Now, I don't know if I should open him. I firmly believe Mattel is going to re-issue He-Man, Beast-Man, AND Skeletor... heck, they might even do a He-Man/Skeletor 2 pack (which would be really cool)... but I might want to keep this one with the "Interdimensional being" as opposed to one later that may very well have "Demo-Man" in the bio.

Thoughts?
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Good point. I don't think we quite fully dodged that bullet.

The 2nd release of Skelly most likely will say Demo-Man on it. So...if you hate Demo-Man, I say don't open this Skeletor and wait for it. Just my opinion.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Demo-man is a loser

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I believe the Demo-Man bio is only for Mattycollector.

I think they came up with the idea too late to get it on the apckage. As in last week. I think if there is na second release, or maybe when battle Armor is released, we will see Demoman

Cool. Good advice, friends.

I am going to NYCC, so maybe I will just buy another one there (and save the shipping), and open that one or something... It's torture not being able to take him out of the package!!!
    A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by nutnog View Post
    Demo-man is a loser

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutnog View Post
    Demo-man is a loser
    This whole Demo-Man thing just sounds so hokey to me . . . .

They might as well go full on cornball and say Keldor was merged with a ďD-Man.Ē

I like the interdimensional being concept; it sounds good and lends itself well to the new hybrid continuity while respecting what came before.

Demo-Man sounds like something which would be used at mass retail at the behest of conservative corporate heads afraid of the word demon; which shouldnít matter in a line like this. Besides, the first idea of the other-dimensional being was absolutely fine.

I'm wondering if Mattel just threw that out there to gauge a response. While I like the idea of a new figure, I'll admit the name is somewhat underwhelming.

I wonder if Demo-Man's head will resemble the Havoc Staff....how cool would that be?? I also wonder if the Havoc staff head is on a ball joint. I tried to pull it off but was afraid it would break.
    Last edited by danielsan52; January 29, 2009 at 06:26am.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    This has been discussed many times. The trademark or copyright or whatever didn't clear in time to get it on the cardback. That's why it's not on there.

Sorry if this has been answered b4 but who is DEMO-MAN? I've neva heard of him since this card back on Matty collector. So who is he? Did he just get made up by Matty Collector or the 4 horsemen for motuc?
    Last edited by Xena-She-Ra; January 29, 2009 at 08:53am.
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

Not sure if I understood a lick of what you're trying to say here??
    Accept the unacceptable.

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    My feelings....

Imagine my hand and in it is the physical embodiment of the idea of Demo-Man. Oh look how it sparkles with stupidity. Go on poke it...

Now watch me open a portal to Despondos....

"Back you go you foul accursed piece of back story...."

*Beats it back with a plank of wood with a nail in it.*

This house is clean.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

God bless the Bureaucracy that held up that trade mark - we dodged a bullet with that one.

Just another reason, if needed, to order at 12.00 est on the 15th cos at least then you got the non-sucky bio........

Whole episode doesn't exactly fill me full of confidence in Mattel's current MOTU Ideas Dept............

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xena-She-Ra View Post
    Sorry if this has been answered b4 but who is DEMO-MAN? I've neva heard of him since this card back on Matty collector. So who is he? Did he just get made up by Matty Collector or the 4 horsemen for motuc?
    Demo-Man was unheard of to the public until posted at Matty.com
    Here is Toyguru's post explaining the history a bit. Basically when we see Keldor in the 200x toon get "saved" by Hordak and turned into Skeletor it's because Hordak merges Keldor with a demon named Demo-Man from Despondos, creating Skeletor, Overlord of Evil.

As you will read more, the idea of Demo-Man is either liked or hated amongst fans.

I for one am thrilled with the additional information on Skeletor and think it was great for Mattel to actually work into the mythos something that was unheard of, in a major way...(ducks and runs out of thread...lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    ...Demo-Man was one of the original names for Skeletor's character in the early concept notes. Originally the line was He-Man vs. Demo-Man (i.e. Demon-Man, as reflected in the original mini comics that the character was a demon from another dimension).

...since Demo-man didn't make the cut originally in the 1980s, it made sense to use this name as the spirit from Despondos who Hordak merged with Keldor to form Skeletor as a nod to Skeletor's original name in the toy notes...

Oh and the reason Demo-Man was not in the printed bio was because the copyright had not cleared yet. As soon as it did clear we added it back in.

Hope that helps!

TG
    Last edited by PaTrIcKfOgArTy; January 29, 2009 at 09:39am.

As i've mentioned elsewhere I am all for this in the MOTUC story. It's a fresh take on all things MOTU and doesn't affect the original story.
    As a name Demo-man isn't particularly original, but then few MOTU names are. For me that's part of the charm of the whole property.

I'd welcome seeing Demo-man mentioned on forthcoming Skeletor releases.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, because "Mosquitor" and "Fisto" are high literature.

80sMasters.com freespeach Brian Ozone's Avatar
    well ill be asking mattel this at the con who the hell is he?
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrimmTrabb View Post
    This has been discussed many times. The trademark or copyright or whatever didn't clear in time to get it on the cardback. That's why it's not on there.
    A mark need not be registered to qualify for protection. Protection arises from use of the mark. If "Demo-Man" is not on the packaging, it is for another reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    A mark need not be registered to qualify for protection. Protection arises from use of the mark. If "Demo-Man" is not on the packaging, it is for another reason.
    true
    that is why demo-man isnt on there. sure, they could have used the name but what if they did and couldnt secure the name?

what if they put it on there and THEN found out that somewhere there was a demo-man(doubtful lol lol) trademarked for some other toy line

they would have then named an entity/being that they could NEVER produce with that name and would therefor have to rename since they didnt own the name, rattlor and fisto are good examples of this in the 2002 line.

so they played it safe and waited to retroactively add it into the bio. now they own a character with that name.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

I will say it again... isn't Skeletor supposed to be from Infinita? If Keldor was from Eternia and Demo-Man from Despondos, where does the Infinita story come into play??
    Mattel... Please bring back 200x styled stactions!!

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kenobi96 View Post
    I will say it again... isn't Skeletor supposed to be from Infinita? If Keldor was from Eternia and Demo-Man from Despondos, where does the Infinita story come into play??
    It clearly does not. That particular angle was scraped in favor of the Keldor explanation. Skeletor, the demon from Infinita, and the Skeletor which was created from Keldorís mingling with magic are two different continuities. Perhaps, in this blending of all cannons, Despondos is actually a fresh take on infinita, and Demo-Man represents the original concept blended with the new.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru
    ...Demo-Man was one of the original names for Skeletor's character in the early concept notes. Originally the line was He-Man vs. Demo-Man (i.e. Demon-Man, as reflected in the original mini comics that the character was a demon from another dimension).

...since Demo-man didn't make the cut originally in the 1980s, it made sense to use this name as the spirit from Despondos who Hordak merged with Keldor to form Skeletor as a nod to Skeletor's original name in the toy notes...
    Thatís all fine and good, and I can understand where theyíre coming from; but there are reasons why that idea was shelved. I know most of the MOTU names are goofy but the nostalgia factor makes them appealing. Demo-Man, which most fans were never exposed to, has no such fondness attached to it. It just sounds bad; bad even for the eighties.

Lending additional coolness to Skeletor (arguably one of the most awesome villains ever) by making him more or less the humanoid form of a demon who (thinking it was clever?), decided to call himself Demo-Man, well itís not how I would do it; thatís for sure. It would be like me calling myself (using screen names) Scare Glow-Man. Hmm, actually thatís not even a real accurate comparison; it would be more like me calling myself Man-Man, since Iím a male. Some things get shelved for a reason.

Well, thatís how I feel about it anyway.

Regards:
    Your friendly neighborhood Man-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    Thatís all fine and good, and I can understand where theyíre coming from; but there are reasons why that idea was shelved. I know most of the MOTU names are goofy but the nostalgia factor makes them appealing. Demo-Man, which most fans were never exposed to, has no such fondness attached to it. It just sounds bad; bad even for the eighties.
    Agreed!!!!