Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Rock People (Granita, Facet) Discussion

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    I agree with DS that the figs should come with a 'Transformed' jewel/rock. But I am VERY happy with the lack of action feature. I will always take sculpt over feature!
    I also am happy with sculpt over action features! I think they are okay when they do not hinder the sculpt (Tri-Klops' spinning visor, Roboto's gears) but levers, dials, etc...no thanks. I haven't received my Clawful yet, but the snapping claw feature really made me sad when I saw it in PixelDan's review. I wanted to display the claw open for once!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    I agree with DS that the figs should come with a 'Transformed' jewel/rock. But I am VERY happy with the lack of action feature. I will always take sculpt over feature!
    I pretty much agree with this. I don't really play with these, I just admire the sculpt and the details and the updated look. If I did still play with them, I could see this being an issue for me, but I don't so it isn't.

For my kids, if they want a Rokkon or Stonedar, I'll find them a loose one on eBay.

Heroic Warrior
    Has anyone noticed how very Smug Jewelstar looks? like she knows something we don't....

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightboy1984 View Post
    Maybe if they make a rock form pack in with rokkon they can use it later in a weapons pack and repaint it to make it jewelstar
    Nice Idea, but Jewelstar would transform into a jewel, whereas although Rokkon seems a crystaline stone, I dont think it would work!

Something that always bugged me about the 'Jewelstar' gimmick, was that either she turned into a HUGE Gem....or she shrank down to a smaller stone...and that whole Body mass-shrinking thing just annoys me!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Nice Idea, but Jewelstar would transform into a jewel, whereas although Rokkon seems a crystaline stone, I dont think it would work!

Something that always bugged me about the 'Jewelstar' gimmick, was that either she turned into a HUGE Gem....or she shrank down to a smaller stone...and that whole Body mass-shrinking thing just annoys me!
    Ah, did you ever watch Transformers G1? You know, when Megatron, would shrink into a gun that fit into Starscream's hand?

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Its much easier. We can get Jewelstar "jewel form" as a bonus included with Sundander or Moonbeam (they are all clear plastic) and no one have any accesories.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

Heroic Warrior
    Don't need the action feature...

Quote Originally Posted by CptSpandex View Post
    Ah, did you ever watch Transformers G1? You know, when Megatron, would shrink into a gun that fit into Starscream's hand?
    hehe...ooh buddy! thats one of the earliest examples of my hatred of the concept! Meg and Soundwave!!!

i used to scream at the TV as a teen!!!

[/CENTER]

hehe...ooh buddy! thats one of the earliest examples of my hatred of the concept! Meg and Soundwave!!!

i used to scream at the TV as a teen!!!

Haha! Me too. My parents would have to tell me to calm down or no more television.

That and not getting the right voices and colors in the Smurfs movie. My mom reminds me constantly about the time she took me to the Smurfs movie when I was very little and I yelled, loud enough for everyone in the theater to hear, that the colors weren't right!

Amazing what we, as kids and teens, used to fix on.

But I am VERY happy with the lack of action feature. I will always take sculpt over feature!
    I feel the same. Even as a kid action features annoyed me.

I'm fairly certain that the Comet Warriors/Rock People will have something to represent their action feature when the Four Horsemen get around to making them, so I don't think Jewelstar is any indication of what's to come. They just made a bizarre choice with the Star Sisters.

Sorceress Supreme Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'm fairly certain that the Comet Warriors/Rock People will have something to represent their action feature when the Four Horsemen get around to making them, so I don't think Jewelstar is any indication of what's to come. They just made a bizarre choice with the Star Sisters.
    That's my thought, too. I hope the Rock People will be released in MotUC someday, but I'm fine with the Star Sisters, happy that they'll come!!!

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    My bet is that Rokkon/Stonedar/Granita will come with clip-together pieces that you can make a sphere out of and put the Rock Person inside.

On Jewelstar - it's not as if the original prototype(s) had any pretensions towards making a coherent stone - it was just her in a foetal position. The MotUC toy can do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    On Jewelstar - it's not as if the original prototype(s) had any pretensions towards making a coherent stone - it was just her in a foetal position. The MotUC toy can do that!
    Nope. There's no way the poster-based Jewelstar would be able to do what's depicted in this catalog. And even if she could, it wouldn't look right being that her body isn't almost entirely jagged crystal. I realize the one in the American Catalog is a more simplified design (though she does have a head/neck that moves forward), however, that's a case where they could have taken influence from both designs and created the ultimate version. They certainly took influence from that other catalog with Tallstar's star staff.

You also have to keep in mind what the limitations were for this design back in 80s on a female of this size. She was never going to be able to be fully enclosed... and isn't MOTUC all about improving upon what couldn't be accomplished in the 80s?

Well i for one am not interested in having those figures transform, there is no way it would not compromise the sculpts in some way. I never thought that they would arrive in the MOTUC line as transformable figures. If I wanted transformers I would buy a Transformer or a vintage Gobot. So overall I'm happy with how Jewelstar came out. I also want the Rock people to have great sculpts and don't mind them not folding into rocks. While I loved the idea of the rock people in the 80s, I hated how their sculpts came out in the vintage toy line. They just looked very out of place with all the other figures. With that being said, I think they should include their alternate rock/jewel forms in the package.
    Last edited by phnx75; August 5, 2011 at 09:40am.

Quote Originally Posted by phnx75 View Post
    Well i for one am not interested in having those figures transform, there is no way it would not compromise the sculpts in some way. I never thought that they would arrive in the MOTUC line as transformable figures. If I wanted transformers I would buy a Transformer or a vintage Gobot. So overall I'm happy with how Jewelstar came out. I also want the Rock people to have great sculpts and don't mind them not folding into rocks. While I loved the idea of the rock people in the 80s, I hated how their sculpts came out in the vintage toy line. They just looked very out of place with all the other figures. With that being said, I think they should include their alternate rock/jewel forms in the package.
    Amen! I think the sculpt of Jewelstar is superb......The color I think is too muted/Wussy! But thats cos I think the magenta/Ruby tones of the vintage figure show her as a strong character.

Last edited by Staff Of Ka; August 5, 2011 at 10:12am.

[/CENTER]

Nope. There's no way the poster-based Jewelstar would be able to do what's depicted in this catalog. And even if she could, it wouldn't look right being that her body isn't almost entirely jagged crystal. I realize the one in the American Catalog is a more simplified design (though she does have a head/neck that moves forward), however, that's a case where they could have taken influence from both designs and created the ultimate version. They certainly took influence from that other catalog with Tallstar's star staff.

You also have to keep in mind what the limitations were for this design back in 80s on a female of this size. She was never going to be able to be fully enclosed... and isn't MOTUC all about improving upon what couldn't be accomplished in the 80s?
    except for action features (see webstor king hiss battle armour skeletor and he-man and the forth coming kobra khan thunderpunch he-man) definitely not improving. the improements are essentially design and sculpt based, but keeping in mind all the shared parts and limited tooling. so with all that in mind the jewelstar coming fits right in with the classics philosophy.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    except for action features (see webstor king hiss battle armour skeletor and he-man and the forth coming kobra khan thunderpunch he-man) definitely not improving. the improements are essentially design and sculpt based, but keeping in mind all the shared parts and limited tooling. so with all that in mind the jewelstar coming fits right in with the classics philosophy.
    Well, I know about the 'no action features' commentary that Mattel made on a few occasions, so I was never really expecting that to happen, but I definitely thought she would be getting a jewel form because we were led to believe that her feature would be treated like any other MOTU figure with an action feature. Meaning that there would be something to represent it.
    Last edited by Tallstar; August 5, 2011 at 10:42am.

Well, I know about the 'no action features' commentary that Mattel made on a few occasions, so I was never really expecting that to happen, but I definitely thought she would be getting a jewel form because we were led to believe that her feature would be treated like any other MOTU figure with an action feature. Meaning that there would be something to represent it.
    i forgot about that part, sorry! I know VERY little about the star sisters aside from tallstar being the female extendar, so if things slip my mind blame it on ignorance. yep I agree a jewel accessory would be great, but maybe it will come with another figure, like lookee or kowl or something, like how odiphus came with jitsu instead of stinkor.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

As much as I like Jewelstar, I do hope Rokkon and Stonedar have more a more prominent rocky shell armor for their arms, legs, back and heads... otherwise they're not going to look much like "Rock People".

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    As much as I like Jewelstar, I do hope Rokkon and Stonedar have more a more prominent rocky shell armor for their arms, legs, back and heads... otherwise they're not going to look much like "Rock People".
    Its a pretty safe bet they will be almost entirely new Tools. they actually would be good candidates for a 'Two pack'.

[/CENTER]

For Stonedar and Rokkon, maybe 4H will sculpt rock armor that snaps onto the legs, arms, back and head?

If the armor was sculpted to the right size/dimensions, then you could move the legs, arms and head into position and get a look similar to the vintage figures. And, if you only put attachment points for the armor on, say, the thigh and upper armor, you could still get elbow/knees articulation. If you kept the armor short around the shoulder and hip, you could probably save that articulation too. That'd be pretty cool.

I just realized the 4H may be able to get another use out of Tallstar's leg extensions for Granita. Not exactly the same amount of 'rings', but I can see them re-using that, as well as the upper/lower part of her boots.

Last edited by Tallstar; August 5, 2011 at 11:42am.

I'd expect the Rock People to look a lot like the toys and at least come close to transforming as much as the standard articulation allows. There was no actual figure to go by for Jewelstar. . .the catalog pics are difficult to see all of the detail and frankly the figure looks pretty bad they way it was designed. . . To keep her looking at least a little feminine, it would have been really hard to make her transform. . . how would the hips have looked?

I think the Horsemen will look to the actual toys when working on th Rockmen and they will at least pseudo-transform. . .probably still not all of the way due to the hip joints again but they will at least look like they can become a rock when they are standing in their human form. I'm actually more curious if and how they will do a female rock warrior-really hoping they do!

Quote Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
    I'd expect the Rock People to look a lot like the toys and at least come close to transforming as much as the standard articulation allows. There was no actual figure to go by for Jewelstar. . .the catalog pics are difficult to see all of the detail and frankly the figure looks pretty bad they way it was designed. . . To keep her looking at least a little feminine, it would have been really hard to make her transform. . . how would the hips have looked?
    For me, Jewelstar was always a case where I was definitely expecting that the 4H would refine what was shown in the catalog. You know, to give the crystals/headdress more of a defined shape. I actually don't have a problem at all with the current sculpt, (the crystal gauntlets and headdress are beautiful), except that it would've been cool if they made the crystals coming out of her hips, thighs etc. But I can live without that so long as they refresh her in RED transparent plastic with a jewel form.