Thread: AFA Grading of King Grayskull

Heroic Collector of MOTUC the.overlord's Avatar
    DESPONDOS (watching the game - having a Bud...with HORDAK)

AFA Grading of King Grayskull

Hello Everyone,

I do not know if this has been discussed or not.....if not, here it is!

Just wondering if anyone has had their SDCC King Grayskull graded by Toygrader or not.

Wondering if they will grade it even if it has been double-taped from Mattel.

Also came across one on eBay.

Doesn't look bad! Would make a nice display case for the Castle itself!

Back to the topic.....if anyone had their KG graded, please let us know (maybe share a picture or two).

Also I believe there's another service called Collector Source Grading.

Thank you!

The.Overlord
    Classics Collector!!

Successful transactions/trades with: MossMan710179, cobaltkatdrone, reefkeeper, Zildjian, keithfuchs, Raypor, Zovex, JOXE, Son of Keldor, Hogan, BadSchoolGirl69, Degra, Uki, Blue Monkey, dedset13, Vaal (THX EVERYONE!!)

My trader review:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169339

Heroic Warrior Long Live He-Man's Avatar
    I'm interested in seeing if anyone has had a King Grayskull graded as well.

I would guess the price would be pretty high given the size of the box.

i'm sorry, but that acrylic box is funny

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    i'm sorry, but that acrylic box is funny
    Yes....very weird and unusual! Just never seen anything like it before!
    Classics Collector!!

Successful transactions/trades with: MossMan710179, cobaltkatdrone, reefkeeper, Zildjian, keithfuchs, Raypor, Zovex, JOXE, Son of Keldor, Hogan, BadSchoolGirl69, Degra, Uki, Blue Monkey, dedset13, Vaal (THX EVERYONE!!)

My trader review:

Why is it funny? I'm really thinking about getting one. You guys must live where there is no dust around.
    Need stuff? I might just have it!

Check out my shop!

SHOP1321

http://blujay.com/scar1321
    I'm always adding stuff!

I got 90 AFA... my buddy got 95...2 bad we will never know if its bronze or regular.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

U r serious? U let them grade the whole thing in box?

Sorry, but what use is it to have one of those figures and NEVER, EVER see them?????
    My Collection
    It's reallity and not a legend: PlanetEternia

That there is a bit excessive I think!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Dear God, what's next, do they grade that inflatable power sword and add a valve into the case??? As if paying some guys to grade toys wasn't ridiculous enough already.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Dear God, what's next, do they grade that inflatable power sword and add a valve into the case??? As if paying some guys to grade toys wasn't ridiculous enough already.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that!!
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by CocoaSmooth View Post
    I got 90 AFA... my buddy got 95...2 bad we will never know if its bronze or regular.
    Hi Cocoa,

was yours double-taped from MattyCollector? Mine are all the same (opened from Mattel). Just curious! I doubt that something double-taped will fetch anything over 80...but I might be wrong!
    Classics Collector!!

My trader review:

I'm not a fan of that case. You pretty much have to open the entire thing and I'm all about keeping things MOC and in this case MISB. Being just tied to the back of the box doesn't count for me. It's still been opened from the inner box.

Heroic Warrior Long Live He-Man's Avatar
    Just reviving the thread to see if anybody has graded their King Grayskulls, and if you have pics would you mind posting them?

Heroic Warrior
    It's my opinion that AFA is a scam.

any company that grades recards, bootlegs, and resealed boxes is a shady business.

I have to concur with the above motion. AFA is a scam. We can all get together and create yet another toy grading company, nobody could stop us.

...for once I agree with you...!!

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

AFA and their grading system makes no sense to me. Plus, I adhere to the statement : "AFA is a scam". What's the point of grading a toy in a sealed case (that doesn't even allow for the toy to be displayed), and on top of it placing that case inside an impenetrable acrylic prison?
    Let the power return!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Calabeli View Post
    AFA and their grading system makes no sense to me. Plus, I adhere to the statement : "AFA is a scam". What's the point of grading a toy in a sealed case (that doesn't even allow for the toy to be displayed), and on top of it placing that case inside an impenetrable acrylic prison?
    That's why I open all of mine.

That reminds me, I should do a diorama of He-man in package in an acryllic case, but whith the card ripped open inside, and He-man's fist smashing through the case (cracks all over the place!) Caption: "THIS IS WHAT I THINK OF AFA!"

It would be a pretty cool job though!!
    Utterly pointless but fun!!
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaSmooth View Post
    or an oil filter.

Well, I think AFA has a purpose and are important. Just not in the case of an unopened King Grayskull!

King Grayskull...graded......Sorry. I have to laugh at the thought of having boxes graded, and that includes any kind of MIB figure, vehicle, or playset where you can't even see what is inside.
    Nunslaughter rules in a world of fools!

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Does anybody (people who plan on keeping the boxes nice that is) open your mib items? Like, maybe just peek inside and check it out and then put it all back nice and neat, or even open it all the way, bags and all if applicable? I'm not saying I'm for or against it, just curious. I've often times wanted to crack open a box knowing the toy is brand spanking new inside, and that it will look just fine closed back up. But I know I would probably want one sealed again, and it's more pricey to get them sealed, so I've never done it. Plus when I think of Castle Grayskull, the box IS the item I'm having graded (not that I can afford that), and it being ripped open does in fact affect condition. I can get loose items for change compared to mib, so why buy one that's sealed if you are going to open it I guess? I do get it with new items, you just buy it and it's sealed, and you open it because you want to, but the crazy person in me now keeps one mib/moc as well, And I'm still on the verge of a permanent decision, 'cause moc/mib is really expensive comparatively.

More on topic, I bet AFA would do a custom case that would have the bridge open so the figure can be viewed. I wonder if they would make a switch so you could play with the sound effects. You might hate AFA, but a freak'n 95 is cool, and if I knew I was going to get a 95, I could see that being persuasive. I personally think they are trying to help collectors, and that's what they have in mind while grading items (though they do mention the price difference between graded stuff and non-graded stuff, so... hmm), and hopefully a collector wouldn't have junk cased. It's not their fault people are trying to scam others, it happens to everybody. The person that sends in a Castle Grayskull with junk in it, then sells it knowing better is the douche, not AFA.

Doesn't having a battery in there mean that the thing is going to be in trouble in 15 or so years, like corroded and everything, or did Mattel think of that? Other than that, I like displaying my stuff as nice as possible, and that's why I use AFA for my loose stuff. I have stopped buying AFAed stuff from dealers though, 'cause they beat them up too bad. I only do my own stuff, and the guys that do it are really nice guys.