Thread: Alice, Sweet Alice (remake) Update!

Hybrid View

Alice, Sweet Alice (remake) Update!

It's been sooooo long since I've heard anything on this project...

Dante Tomaselli *just* did an interview with Horrornews.net where he talks a bit about the Alice, Sweet Alice remake:

You have a cousin who made a pretty popular horror film quite a few years back. Was he one of your influences?

Yes ...Alfred Sole's ALICE, SWEET ALICE. It's one of my biggest influences. I was just talking to Alfred on the phone a little while ago. He's definitely been a mentor throughout the years. I'm not sure how much he realizes it. We can both relate to each other very well, especially as cult filmmakers. Plus, he's family...blood. We've been planning a remake of ALICE, SWEET ALICE. I am directing, scoring and cowriting. Alfred is Production Designer. He doesn't want a producer credit, he just feels strongly that he has to be the Production Designer. That's great for me and should comfort ALICE, SWEET ALICE fans, because we can have faith that the sets will come from the imagination of the original director. Also, ultimately he has to give his blessing on the screenplay. That's when financing will come together. Only then. He should approve it and be satisfied with it. Some others have tried to write the screenplay but they have failed. There has not been a satisfactory screenplay yet.

Michael Gingold...managing editor of Fangoria Magazine is my writing partner. We are currently writing a remake that is faithful to the original. I know I want to have the ever present...almost subliminal ...Catholic iconography intact. Alice is still a Bad Seed type girl. And her sister, Karen, is a beautiful, spoiled princess. Jealousy between sisters...intact...The remake should have the same New Jersey Paterson type settings as the original. Of course there should be a centerpiece church ...Rectory...Paterson apartments, creepy
    abandoned buildings, the Paterson Falls...It will be a faithful remake, in
    my hands. Plotwise, probably the only thing that will be different
    is...after the brutal stabbing of Alice's Aunt Annie, Alice is sent to a strict all girls Catholic Boarding School. The film is in development, but it's coming...
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    How is sending Alice to a Catholic boarding school a faithful adaptation? It is a completely different premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    How is sending Alice to a Catholic boarding school a faithful adaptation? It is a completely different premise.
    Poor choice of words there. Not sure what that would mean for the investigation and suspicion surrounding Alice and psychological evaluation end of it.

I'm really glad Alfred Sole is involved in some capacity and is giving his input, because I don't think Dante's ready to have complete control over this. I'll leave it at that.

I have mixed feelings on what exactly I want out of Alice, Sweet Alice.

When Dante first started talking about this project around 2003, he was intending for it to be a sequel and for the longest time that's what I wanted. -- A film that would play off the events of the ending to the original and novel, where Alice was seeing the world through new eyes and it was definitely hinted that Alice could become a murderess in her own right (outside of strangling a kitten, that is. hehe); casting the original actress in the title role.

However...

Unless they were going to do a film solely for the hardcore fans, it seemed like they would have a difficult time bringing the proposed sequel to the mainstream (in the big-budgeted theatrical sense), given that so many years have passed since the first one. I mean, they've tried to put the original out there, offering free downloads and whatnot, but it's still relatively unknown compared to some of the other classics and so I sort of felt like something could be lost for the folks who hadn't seen the original... not to mention that the original actress doesn't seem to be interested in reprising her acting career as of right now.

So NOW, I definitely think it's a better idea to start over and retell the story. My only issue is... On one hand, I want a film that brings something new to the table so there are some surprises to be had. On the other, I think the original story was awesome and a mainstream audience needs to see it, so that awareness can be brought to the original, perhaps leading to my dream sequel should the original actress change her mind down-the-road.

EDIT

Just a heads-up to let you guys know there are currently plans for a 2-Disc Special Edition release of the original Alice, Sweet Alice. I'll give more information when I'm able to.

I wonder it they'll still kill off the little sister? would they dare in the pc age?
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Heroic Warrior
    The original was pretty good.

I had never seen it, but my girlfriend talked about it for years. I finally subscribed to Netflix and rented it.

I was pretty taken in by it.

The way she killed her sister in the church was just shocking.

The fat, obese, nasty neighbor is pretty creepy too.

Darth Bong

Heroic Warrior
    Im renting thisa from netflix.. should be here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    EDIT

Just a heads-up to let you guys know there are currently plans for a 2-Disc Special Edition release of the original Alice, Sweet Alice. I'll give more information when I'm able to.
    Nothing much to report on this as of yet.

The PR Director who contacted me is interested in doing a career-spanning interview with the title actress for fans of Alice, and horror fans in general, but it's up in the air as to whether that's gonna happen. I think it would be kick-ass if everything could fall into place. Please send positive energy.

Also, I've got a little bit of rare material that I can/am going to offer, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bong View Post
    The way she killed her sister in the church was just shocking.
    **SPOILERS** (Don't read killshacklefoot) Highlight to read:

As deviant as she was, it wasn't Alice who did that. Not sure if that's what you meant, but thought I'd clarify anyway. It was only until the very end, when she witnessed the stabbing of the Priest, that something seemed to change with her [in that regard] psychologically.

Quote Originally Posted by killshacklefoot View Post
    Im renting thisa from netflix.. should be here tomorrow.
    Hope you enjoyed it! I"d love to hear your thoughts on it.