Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Will POP be the downfall of MOTUC?

Will POP be the downfall of MOTUC?

I mean, the POP toys were aimed at little girls, and as such, are a tad, well, feminine. Filmation did a great job creating strong, beautiful women that would make fantastic action figures. But very few of those characteristics were present in the toy line. And unfortunately, at this point, we're just working with the toy line.

As much as I loved my MOTU and POP as a kid, I just can't picture those POP designs fitting in with the MOTUC designs, regardless of sculpting.

That being said, if anyone can pull it off, it's the Horsemen.

Thoughts?

Heroic Warrior
    I don't see them as being the "Death" of the line. Given the articulation the figures have to date, I can't really wait to see how they're going to do the first female figure in the line. I'd hope they'd have the rooted hair like the old POP did, but I think I remember seeing somewhere it was going to be sculpted. Ah well....

But I think I'd buy most of them. Definitely She-Ra and Cat-Ra.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Movie mayhem!
    Female characters in the DCU line haven't killed it. Honestly I think POP characters in MOTU will help keep it fresh and alive. These have sculpted hair and cloths, they will be action figures not the dolls we had in the 80s

Cant wait for Princess o' Power

They won't all come out at the same time. So I actually doubt they could be a death sentence for the line. It may actually end up attracting more people who wouldn't other wise buy the figures! I know lots of people here at the .org who can't wait for em.
    I plan on getting them. I'm a primarily a MOTU fan but I like PoP to. One of the things I'm most excited about is seeing how the Horsemen reinterpert the PoP designs into classics form.
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

Probably, if they are released as straight copies of the 80's figures. But as it's not likely to be that "classic" an interpretation then no.

No, they won't be the death of MOTUC in any way.

The 4H will make them look fantastic.

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Uhmmm.... NO!

I don't think POP will kill the line but make it stronger!

Besides, as many members here will agree, we're all looking forward to the POP figs as well!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Heroic Warrior
    If Mattel will release a POP figure every now and then among MOTUC figures, they wil not be the death of the MOTUC line, above all if sculpted by the 4H and with a MOTUC like style. I wouldn't buy any of them anyway.

Absolutely not. The addition of POP and NA into the line is going to be one of the best things about MOTU Classics.

Heroic Warrior
    As long as they stick, initially at least, with the most popular 'name' characters (She-Ra, Catra etc), the sculpts are done in a style that compliments the other Classics figures, and the releases are spread out a bit, I don't see them being a problem at all.

POP and NA will enrich the line and give the haters a newfound respect for those characters.

And ditto on the last part of what artodron said. It's going to be exciting for me to see how they're magically transformed into the MOTUC style.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980
    Will PoP be the death of MOTUC?
    What...?? No.

They will most likely, if done right, on the contrary, be a GREAT addition to the line, that will attract more fans and potential buyers!

Certainly not.

The first PoP character most likely will be a fan-fave figure which sells well enough even if general interest is unexpectedly low. In that case, we probably won't see many more PoP figures, but it still won't bring the entire line at risk. Mattel surely won't take the risk and release a character that might end up being a "pegwarmer".
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

For me one of the reasons why MOTU 200X was never that good of a toyline, was the LACK of female characters. I do hope Mattel will not repeat that mistake this time. More female characters, please.

heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Will POP be the death of MOTUC?
    No.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    In all honesty, and in all respect to the PoP fans here, I don't think most of the PoP characters (by which I mean the heroes who aren't She-Ra, and the Horde), are as well-remembered or will sell as well as the classic MOTU characters. Not to say by any means they shouldn't be made or that I wouldn't buy them, just that I think they're not going to be as strong, sales-wise.

However, I also think that a lot of later MOTU characters are the same way. I will be very (pleasantly) surprised if non '82-'84 MOTU characters sell as well as the 'original cast' figures seem to be doing so far.

But hopefully they all sell well!
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Heroic Warrior
    The oiginal POP toys were dolls. But I think they will now be portryed as warrior women like those in the marvel and DC line. I don't think cloth will be a good idea though purely because it doesn't miniturise well. Like the rooted hair option think Four horsemen will go for molded clothes and hair. I also think face wise they'll make there faces look different and less doll like. Really hope they make Frosta as hot as she was in the cartoon. Erm, that sounds weird.

YES!!!

I'm most surtain that the POP and NA figures are gonna sell a lot wors than the classic MOTU figs ... and too many none sold out figures of this line and its history..!

I think POP and most deffenetly NA are two seperate lines, which should have had their own Classic Line.
    Can't see what these flimpsy, barbie'ish girlie toys has to do in a bad boy universe like the Masters!
    At least let them have molded, plastic hair and not some fairy hair!

I know I have made myself unpopular by dissing POP and NA before, and now I do it again, I simply can't stand those two toy-lines.
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    No, they won't be the death of MOTUC in any way.

The 4H will make them look fantastic.
    I agree 100%.

Also, for those who say that when POP characters make their way into MOTU Classics that they'll be really "girly" and evocative of Barbie, etc. (which, in fairness, the original toyline was), I definitely don't think that will be the case here - I'm 100% confident that the 4HM will sculpt them in a style that is sympathetic to the rest of the MOTU Classics line, it's been stated that the figures will have sculpted rather than rooted hair, and IMO the figures will look more like Teela and/or Evil-Lyn than the original POP line.

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Honestly, I think there were alot of good ideas that emerged out of the POP line. To me, they have the potential to be better than the DC gals. And I'm not just talking about the designs. If the Four Horseman can give us something like this (well, not this exact design...Something a bit more simplified) then I think they'll sell tons.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I'm sure that the 4HM will do a great job of making the POP characters fit in with MOTUC so that they won't look too 'girly', while at the same time making them enough of a throw-back to please the die-hard fans of the 80s POP line.

So, no, I don't think it will be the death of the line. That's what NA is for.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Personally, I'd prefer they stick with trying to release as many of the original 80's MOTU toys before moving onto POP and NA. If they slid She-Ra in there next year thats fine, but I cant imagine a ton of people will want all the secondary characters (although I could be wrong).

As for the NA, I think THAT will be the death of the MOTUC line. The show was horrible, they original toys were horrible, everything about it was terrible and it died and quick death, it flopped 100% for a reason, because the majority of MOTU fans hated it.

Who cares about most of the characters in that show? Outside of HM and Skeletor, I cant name a single other character. I'm sure there are fans of it, but they are certainly in the minority.

Like I've said all along, why dont Mattel stick with what was successful and made you billions of dollars in the first place, and then branch out when they have all been released. Makes sense, doesnt it?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    YES!!!

I'm most surtain that the POP and NA figures are gonna sell a lot wors than the classic MOTU figs ... and too many none sold out figures of this line and its history..!

I think POP and most deffenetly NA are two seperate lines, which should have had their own Classic Line.
    Can't see what these flimpsy, barbie'ish girlie toys has to do in a bad boy universe like the Masters!
    At least let them have molded, plastic hair and not some fairy hair!

I know I have made myself unpopular by dissing POP and NA before, and now I do it again, I simply can't stand those two toy-lines.
    Squid, imagine a MOTU with more Teela, Evil-Lyn and Sorceress type figures. Those are the POP figures. Does the fact that the 4H are revamping these lines go over people's heads? It's like that fact constantly gets ignored because of childhood prejudices that fans STILL have over these two lines.

Quote Originally Posted by kai View Post
    For me one of the reasons why MOTU 200X was never that good of a toyline, was the LACK of female characters. I do hope Mattel will not repeat that mistake this time. More female characters, please.

heidi
    The vintage line had a lack of female figures too, you know. All of MOTU lines that weren't POP were sausage-fests.

Quote Originally Posted by MastersOfTheUK View Post
    Personally, I'd prefer they stick with trying to release as many of the original 80's MOTU toys before moving onto POP and NA. If they slid She-Ra in there next year thats fine, but I cant imagine a ton of people will want all the secondary characters (although I could be wrong).

As for the NA, I think THAT will be the death of the MOTUC line. The show was horrible, they original toys were horrible, everything about it was terrible and it died and quick death, it flopped 100% for a reason, because the majority of MOTU fans hated it.

Who cares about most of the characters in that show? Outside of HM and Skeletor, I cant name a single other character. I'm sure there are fans of it, but they are certainly in the minority.

Like I've said all along, why dont Mattel stick with what was successful and made you billions of dollars in the first place, and then branch out when they have all been released. Makes sense, doesnt it?
    According to some fans, MOTUC should only make the 12 original figures, since those are the figures that made Mattel "billions" of dollars.

Mattel and fans want the line to have longevity. They want to KEEP selling you MOTUC. They can't do that if they run out of characters. I'm sure some of the fans here are dropping this line as soon as they get the 8 back or 12 back. You have to release a mixture of characters, popular and unpopular so the line will last the longest. If you release all of the popular characters first, then no one will be able to get the D-listers. On the other hand, if you release all of the unpopular characters first, people will get turned off because no popular characters are out and the line will die from lack of interest.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; January 21, 2009 at 09:39am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

It seems to me as if some folks believe that the line will be flooded with PoP and NA characters next year.
    But I'm quite sure that Mattel first will test the market for those before going "full swing". After all, if there's enough demand, they still can plan more characters after the test figures have been released. And if there ain't enough demand, they just can cancel plans for more of them and move on with MotU only.
    I'd be surprised if we saw more than 2 PoP and 1 NA character in 2010.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    According to some fans, MOTUC should only make the 12 original figures, since those are the figures that made Mattel "billions" of dollars.
    Why the quotation marks around billions? Are you claiming Mattel didnt make billions from the original line, because it has been proven that they did...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Mattel and fans want the line to have longevity. They want to KEEP selling you MOTUC. They can't do that if they run out of characters. I'm sure some of the fans here are dropping this line as soon as they get the 8 back or 12 back. You have to release a mixture of characters, popular and unpopular so the line will last the longest. If you release all of the popular characters first, then no one will be able to get the D-listers. On the other hand, if you release all of the unpopular characters first, people will get turned off because no popular characters are out and the line will die from lack of interest.
    I'm not saying any different, my point that you seem to have missed is, I'm perfectly fine with them dropping in She-Ra and maybe a handful of other POP main characters, but if they were to start putting in people like Madam Razz and Kowl, they (IMO) simply wouldnt sell, and then you have an entire months profits coming in well below what is needed to get to the next month.

And if you want longevity, you definately dont want NA clogging up a month or two here and there, because they will, without a doubt, be the lowest/worst selling months of the line. Too many of them and its bye bye MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    It seems to me as if some folks believe that the line will be flooded with PoP and NA characters next year.
    But I'm quite sure that Mattel first will test the market for those before going "full swing". After all, if there's enough demand, they still can plan more characters after the test figures have been released. And if there ain't enough demand, they just can cancel plans for more of them and move on with MotU only.
    I'd be surprised if we saw more than 2 PoP and 1 NA character in 2010.
    I dont believe they are going to flood the line with them and personally havent read anybody else say that either. Doesnt alter the notion/fear that 1 or 2 bad sales months due to NA might effect the life of the line though.

They are selling 1 figure per month, so I'm sure they need to reach a certain amount of sales per month to keep this going. NA figures will kill their months unless its a resculpted NA HM or Skelly, in my opinion.

It only takes a couple to screw it all up.