Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Queen Marlena be from Earth?

Should Queen Marlena be from Earth?

If they ever get around to making Queen Marlena for MOTUC, do you think her bio should include her being from Earth like her 80's counterpart, or do you prefer it to be like the MYP cartoon bio? I for one hope her bio mentions her being from Earth. What do you guys think?

Earth, without question. Earth.

80's MOTU > MYP MOTU

Earth without a doubt

Earth! No question about it.
    I always loved that back story.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

I think her bio should mention that she was from earth, and was an astronaut... kinda pays homage to her orginal origins.. much like the whole Demo-man thing was intended for Skeletor.

Definitely Earth. Loved the vintage episode where she rescues Randor, He Man and company with her fighter pilot skillz.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I've always hated that she was an astronaut from Earth. I think it added a un-needed element (Earthlings) to the MOTU mythos.

I say keep Marlena Eternian, forget Earth and leave the starships and space travel to NA, where it belongs.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by sircory-1 View Post
    Definitely Earth. Loved the vintage episode where she rescues Randor, He Man and company with her fighter pilot skillz.
    YES! That's also one of my favorites. When I was a kid I thought it was awesome that she was from earth and an astronaut and really hope they keep that. Also, it opens up THE UNIVERSE which I much prefer over how they just kept everything on Eternia in the MYP series.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

If they made Marlena from Earth, wouldn`t they have to do the same with Beastman, Evil,Lyn, and Triclops etc? The other astronaughts that were with her on that shuttle flight are just as important to the origin as Marlena is. I think it may be too late to do that since Beastman was given the MVC origin

It's ok that she's from earth (since it seems to be the preferred back story), but I like to think that she got lost in space AND time. Part of the charm of fantasy universes is that you can't locate them temporally, they have their own timeline and it's got nothing to do with ours.

Also, I think she should have some kind of partial memory loss. There could be some good stories about Marlena digging slowly into her past, finding lost and hidden objects from earth, eventually the space pod. It's like her memories from Earth are very generic and nobody makes a solid idea from where she came from, or what Earth is like, because, well, she can't really tell.

Now, the notion that Evil-Lyn, Beast Man and Tri-Klops, came from Earth as well and got "mutated" in Infinita sounds downright silly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    If they made Marlena from Earth, wouldn`t they have to do the same with Beastman, Evil,Lyn, and Triclops etc? The other astronaughts that were with her on that shuttle flight are just as important to the origin as Marlena is. I think it may be too late to do that since Beastman was given the MVC origin
    Marlena should be from Earth, while Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops both come from their respective dimension told in the mini comics. Talking about Tri-Klops if I remember correctly wasn't he a hero in his own dimension? I'd like to see that mentioned in his bio.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    If they made Marlena from Earth, wouldn`t they have to do the same with Beastman, Evil,Lyn, and Triclops etc?
    Nope. That was only in the "bible". They where never said to be from Earth in any of the comics, or cartoons, only Marlena.

And yes, I would love the Earth bio.

I guess I'm in the minority on this issue, but NO. I don't want her being from Earth.
    Never did like that concept. *shrugs*
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority on this issue, but NO. I don't want her being from Earth.
    Never did like that concept. *shrugs*
    same here! No Earthlings please! The NA-Folks should be from Primus and Marlena from Eternia. Period. Unfortunately for me and fortunately for the majority here I guess they'll stick to the Earth-backstory though...

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Movie mayhem!
    I think they should have her be from earth. I've always liked the idea that Eternia was filled with people from around the universe and i liked her representing earth. i don't like idea of the going back to earth or having other earthlings around though. If she's from earth its because earth has been.... destroyed!!

Yes she should be from Earth! It's long been part of the character, why change it now?
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Earth! How can you not love that concept? It pays homage to Buck Rodgers, Flash Gordon even BlackStar was an Earth Astronaught. Part of MOTU's charm for me was the fusion of sword & sorcery and science fiction/technology.

Plus it makes Adam (and his siter) truly unique beings, Eternian/Earthling hybrids. Their unique genetic make-up might even have something to do with why the Power of Grayskull skipped a few generations - it could have been waiting for them. "For eons the Power of Grayskull lay dormant, patiently awaiting the coming of twin saviors - born of an Eternian king and a queen who fell from the sky..."

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Earth.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I also think she should be from Earth. Her being one of Earth's best Astronaughts shows how awesome she is, that she can adapt to a whole new world and life, and how strong and determined she is. She's a real warrior!

In the MYP series they removed her being from Earth and an astronaught (or never got to mention it), and because of this we got Queen Marlena the lamp. She was just in the backdrop and got to say a sentence or two here and there. She had no personality at all. The characters of the day were more interesting than her. She only had two good moments in the series: 1) giving water to a wounded Eternian. 2) Stabbing a Snakeman...and that episode is kind of reminiscent of the astronaught from Earth getting lost if you REALLY think about it.

Anyhow...she needs to be an astronaught and demand some repect! She's no lamp!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwolf View Post
    Earth! How can you not love that concept? It pays homage to Buck Rodgers, Flash Gordon even BlackStar was an Earth Astronaught. Part of MOTU's charm for me was the fusion of sword & sorcery and science fiction/technology.

Plus it makes Adam (and his siter) truly unique beings, Eternian/Earthling hybrids. Their unique genetic make-up might even have something to do with why the Power of Grayskull skipped a few generations - it could have been waiting for them. "For eons the Power of Grayskull lay dormant, patiently awaiting the coming of twin saviors - born of an Eternian king and a queen who fell from the sky..."
    I've never really liked the idea of her being form Earth, but I gotta say, the way you put it makes it sound a little more interesting. Maybe combined with Super Amigo's idea that she doesn't remember where she came from, so they don't specifically mention Earth. My problem is that it's suppose to be a fantasy world, and Marlena being from Earth links it too much into reality.

Regardless of me not liking the Earth origin, I wont mind if they use it in MOTUC.

Also, in response to Darkspecter, I don't think MYP Marlena was that different from the original. Sure ,MYP only mentions her being cool very rarely, but it's not like the original was out fighting with He-Man on a regular basis. She also only got a few moments of glory, otherwise she was just sitting next to Randor in silence or making some comment to Adam. And MYP did show her occasionally wearing battle armor, so maybe they would've given her some sort of interesting back story later in the series.
    Last edited by tyr112; January 24, 2009 at 12:06am.

NO. I hate the idea and I feel it cheapens all of MOTU. It's a lame old-fashioned idea that's just ripping-off other shows.

I really hope that it isn't mentioned at all, or maybe just mention piloting, that way everyone can be happy

80's MOTU < MYP MOTU

Earth, definitely.

I always loved that she was an Earth astronaut.

I like the Earth astronaut angle, so I hope they keep it.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Yes, I want her to be from Earth.