Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Who would like to see Veena be made...?

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar

QUEEN VEENA discussion

I always liked the classic look of Sorceress, so the 200X was a little dissapointed concept for me, but I always liked the egyptian look.

In order to rescue a cool concept, the 200X Sorceress can becomes the Queen Veena, original sorceress and wife of King Grayskull.

What do you think about?
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

I think I want all of the following as separate figures:

- Veena
    - Classic Falcon Sorceress
    - 200X styled Sorceress

Don't want compromises there.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post

- Veena
    - 200X styled Sorceress

I agree - and Veena & MYP-Sorceress have looks as distinct as Teela & Sorceress, so the occasional suggestion that they should be melded into one is mystifying to me. They don't even have the same wing style!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I would get Veena. I don't mind if we just get the sorceress but I'd like to see a complete collection of the power of Grayskull.

Supreme Sorceress Queen Grayskull's Avatar
    Veena would be a quite cool MotUC figure. I'd appreciate to see her in the line!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar

- Veena
    - 200X styled Sorceress

Same here. My shelf currently has The Goddess, Teela (cobra and non). 200X Sorceress and Veena are different enough that they deserve their own figures. After all, if Matty is willing to make 200X as a varient of the Classic version, and Veena is her own person, why not? X could standing for Kodac Ungol.

Last edited by Jon-O; October 22, 2010 at 03:32pm.
    I love an all inclusive canon!

Grayskull neds his Queen....

Heroic Warrior
    As someone who is not a follower of the 2002 era, I don't have much interest in 2002 characters being drawn into the Classics.

However, I thought the way Emiliano and Val portrayed the Veena character in their comics of that era was superb.

I think the Pharaonic styling is a great idea, and if we accept the role of the Sorceress has been held by different women over the centuries, there is no reason not to include Veena in the Classics.

Therefore I offer my support to Veena and will be happy to make her my exception to the rule. I would like Emiliano and Val's design to be used though - not the simplified MYP style.

Even as an original era fan, I never liked the 'feathered' Sorceress, because the theme of her changing into Zoar was completely contrary to the original idea that Zoar was male and distinct from the Sorceress.

For me the truest representation of the Sorceress will always be the Teela version with her snake headdress.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

I just realised this wasn't posted in the Veena thread (it's from the 15 Dec 2010 Q&As)...

Quote Originally Posted by MotUCPortal.com View Post
    1. We have noticed that there is no mention of Sorceress in the MOTUC biographies. Not even one Sorceress throughout ages is mentioned. Even Veena is reffered in Grayskull's bio as "his devoted and loving widow". Now, just to clarify, is there a Sorceress, past or present, in the MOTUC universe?

Absolutely. There are a lot of characters that have not been mentioned yet, but the Sorceress is of course around doing everything that she normally does. Veena was not mentioned on Grayskull’s bio by name because the name “Veena” is not available at this time.
    When they say "not available", they obviously mean "someone else got the TM first" - the only apparently-relevant entry in the TM database appears to be a live trademark for "VEENA THE DANCE GURU", filed January 2009 and granted registration September 2010, registered to Brownstone Babies LLC in the category "toys, namely, dolls and doll accessories including doll travel kits". I presume that if there's a problem, that must be the source.

And, no, if they can't do "VEENA", they wouldn't be able to do "Queen Veena" or "Sorceress Veena". That only works with words that (1) are considered too generic to trademark, or (2) they do hold a trademark on, but they fear that if anyone challenged it there would be a ruling that the word was too generic to trademark and their TM would be cancelled. Hasbro wouldn't get away with "Autobot He-Man", or "Decepticon Skeletor" (hell, they got an application for "Airachnid" struck down as "too similar" to Mattel's "Arachnoid" trademark). "Queen Grayskull" or "First Sorceress" in the future, maybe, but some way down the road.

[On the real name, the simplest way, and the way most companies would do it, would be to just say "Real name: Veena" and not claim TM - for a word in a blurb on the back of the card (as opposed to the name they sell the figure under), they'd have no trouble [disclaimer: IANAL]. Mattel are fairly obsessive about claiming TM & ® about these things though, to the point of doing so mid-paragraph (which NO-ONE else does...).]

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I must confess, I'm a bit confused about the Veena TM nonsense. Veena is a real name. There's an actress named Veena Malik. I think Veena is also a last name, not 100% on that one.

Anyway, it would be like TMing "Laura" and then nobody can make a toy containing that name. Doesn't make sense.

EDIT: More Veena name info:

VEENA is the most popular 1019.th name in USA (... 1017.sunita , 1018.helena , 1019.veena , 1020.bridget , 1021.dong ...). One in every 7,165 Americans is named VEENA and popularity of name VEENA is 139.56 people per million.

If we compare the popularity statistics of VEENA to USA's population statistics, we can estimate that as of February.01.2011 19:11 there are 43,434 people named as VEENA in the United States and the number is increasing by 367 people every year.

Usage of veena as a first name is 97.96% and its usage as a middle name is 2.04%. The sum of alphabetical order of letters in VEENA is 47 and this makes VEENA arithmetic buddies with words like Elated. Add "Courtesy of PokeMyName.com' tag and feel free to distribute, copy, republish this interesting, accurate and also useless report about name VEENA.
    http://www.pokemyname.com/firstname_44_veena.htm

I highlighted the important parts. More people are named Veena than Helena. Veena should be fair use as it's a proper name.

Veena's origin is Sanskrit, it means "lute" (vina is Spanish and means vineyard) and is used in Hindi speaking countries. So, this name COULD be a very common name in other places in the world.

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect..._of_Veena.html
    Last edited by Darkspecter; February 1, 2011 at 07:18pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I must confess, I'm a bit confused about the Veena TM nonsense. Veena is a real name. There's an actress named Veena Malik. I think Veena is also a last name, not 100% on that one.

Anyway, it would be like TMing "Laura" and then nobody can make a toy containing that name. Doesn't make sense.

EDIT: More Veena name info:

http://www.pokemyname.com/firstname_44_veena.htm

I highlighted the important parts. More people are named Veena than Helena. Veena should be fair use as it's a proper name.

Veena's origin is Sanskrit, it means "lute" (vina is Spanish and means vineyard) and is used in Hindi speaking countries. So, this name COULD be a very common name in other places in the world.

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect..._of_Veena.html
    Veena is above Bridget? What the heck? I figured that Bridget would be more popular than that. I guess what's worse is that Veena is on two above Dong. Really? Dong? People name their kids Dong?
    Click here to add yourself to the He-Man.org map!

Check out my business website! If you run a blog or something and can link to it, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I'm ok with Veena, but I hope we don't see 200x Sorceress. I think they look too similar. They took the time to redesign the Sorceress and then they just slapped the same design on another character. Just like King Grayskull/He-Man and Battle Cat/Battle Lion. Now that Zodak is a separate character, I think Veena AND 200x Sorceress would just be way too much.

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    Definitely would like to see Veena
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

- Veena
    - 200X styled Sorceress

Exactly, I don't get why everyone wants to change Veenas look, Veena is Veena!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I'm all for Veena! I'm not talking about some other random character named Veena either!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    I'm ok with Veena, but I hope we don't see 200x Sorceress. I think they look too similar. They took the time to redesign the Sorceress and then they just slapped the same design on another character. Just like King Grayskull/He-Man and Battle Cat/Battle Lion. Now that Zodak is a separate character, I think Veena AND 200x Sorceress would just be way too much.
    Veena is different than the 200X Sorceress.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I would love to see Veena made over many of the remaining females.

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    I would love a Veena figure, I've always loved her design, it's much softer/gentler than 200x sorceress. Veena is very reminiscent of classic sorceress to me.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

Quote Originally Posted by Judeh Simon View Post
    I would love a Veena figure, I've always loved her design, it's much softer/gentler than 200x sorceress. Veena is very reminiscent of classic sorceress to me.
    Indeed - Veena design is a three-way mix between Teela, Filmation Sorceress and MYP Sorceress (with a few additional touches) and, if anything, MYP-Sorceress is the least influential of the three.

Veena's head, in particular, seems like an "interpretation of the vintage design in the 200X style"

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I would definitely be up for adding Veena to my MOTUC's collection!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Indeed - Veena design is a three-way mix between Teela, Filmation Sorceress and MYP Sorceress (with a few additional touches) and, if anything, MYP-Sorceress is the least influential of the three.

Veena's head, in particular, seems like an "interpretation of the vintage design in the 200X style"
    Oh dear...I never noticed this before. I guess we won't be getting a unique headsculpt for Veena then.

I forgot to answer, yes, I definitely want to see Veena made! Teela-Na and 200X Sorceress as well.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I've long been on record as disliking the whole King Grayskull idea (it makes Adam a KG wannabe in a way we likley wouldn't have seen with He-Ro), but I have no problem with the figures being made, and would buy Veena without hesitation. Heck, I got both versions of KG without a moment's regret, so the more, the merrier.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Oh dear...I never noticed this before. I guess we won't be getting a unique headsculpt for Veena then.
    Nah, although I thought that myself when I first noticed it (and made that image), TG said during the "no more packed-in 200X second heads" thing that every monthly figure will have a unique headsculpt (as a second head, if the 198X figure's head was a repaint). Veena'll have a new head

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Nah, although I thought that myself when I first noticed it (and made that image), TG said during the "no more packed-in 200X second heads" thing that every monthly figure will have a unique headsculpt (as a second head, if the 198X figure's head was a repaint). Veena'll have a new head
    Oh, that's good news again.

This feels like that Tree House of Horror episode of Simpsons parodying the Gremlins.

Guy: ...but the doll is haunted.
    Homer: That's bad.
    Guy: ...but it comes with a free frogurt!
    Homer: That's good!
    Guy: ...the frogurt is also haunted.
    Homer: ....uh....
    Guy: That's bad.

Hopefully this ends on a "that's good" though.

Heroic Warrior
    Of course I would like to see Veena made! I would happily buy a Veena figure. She's a critical character in my opinion even though we know very little about her role in the MOTU mythos.