View Poll Results: Chose the Filmation-character to get a new design!

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doctor Zoog - Trollan technomancer!

12 11.88%
  • Darkdream - Evil spectre

25 24.75%
  • Dragoon - Evil Trolland Dragon-mage

22 21.78%
  • Filmation Modulok

42 41.58%

Thread: Motu Redesign challenge #87 - Gygor!

Hybrid View

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar

Motu Redesign challenge #87 - Gygor!

Here we've finally come across possibly THE biggest underdog ( or would that be under-APE..?) of all of MotU.

GYGOR.

He is a giant golden Ape that would work as an alternate steed for He-man and/or the heroic warriors.

He was only revealed about 3 years or so ago, as an unproduced prototype-sketched toy, by Roger Sweet
    one of the original managers of the MotU-line back in the day, in his biography: "Mastering the Universe".

This is all of the information available on Gygor:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Sweet
    I changed the ape's body color from black to bright yellow and gave him a dark olive-green face and chest.His face in contorted with white teeth snarling in an open mouth of blood red.I gave him a black body harness.From his shoulders I hung a dark maroon cape."

"When I showed "Gygor" to marketing Mark Ellis said that is ********** great!!!"

"Ted Mayer in my design group created a striking full-color illustration of the beast, with He-Man mounted on his back. Gygor was decked out with a panoply of harnesses and weapons.
    Sounds like it could have been pretty damn cool. A third classic animal, after Battle-Cat and Zoar.

Reference-pictures:
    -------------------
    Base toy from Big Jim ( he's 8 inches tall)

The rules are as EVER:
    All people who choose to participate will have two weeks to come up with a redesign for this
    character. You can use any medium you wish. You can sketch, paint, make a 3-D model,
    make a sprite, make a custom action figure, whatever you want. Its entirely up to you!

As well, you don't have to force yourself to make your design conform to the new OR OLD cartoon &
    comic book's style. Be as drastic in your redesign as you see fit. Whatever makes you happy.
    If you can't think of a new design, or just hate the idea of working on this character,
    you do not have to feel obligated to participate in this particular challenge.
    You will still be free to participate in any future challenges you wish.

I will be joining in on this challenge!! Gygor is the one I voted for & I have an interesting background story I have been cooking up to go with my illustration ideas!!

Here is the fan mock-up done on this board to maybe help with visualization & inspiration to the participants...

Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 10.18.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

ok good thing we got 2 weeks , this may take some time but im in
    Eternian Beastmaster

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    I need to do this...I just hope I gets me the time!!!
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

I'm not so sure about mine anymore. I got the idea straight away and did a couple of drawings... but the concept makes less sense now. I might post the concepts to see if you guys think it's worth persuing.

Heres the concept so far. Because of the similarities with the name stridor (hey they both end in 'or' don't they?) I've taken Gygor as being a technological construct. He retains basic AI so he can act autonomously, but his AI is overuled when a master takes the reigns. I couldn't quite see He-man riding this beast into battle on piggy back so I've made it more of an enclosed mech-suit style device.
    So what do you think? worth finishing up or should I try again?

Seraphyn, that concept is brilliant!! You should definately run with this!! The illustration is great already!!

Predabot: See a lot of names mentioned in your post there, but what no love for the "Stew" joining in on the challenge?? LOL!! This will be my 3rd one in a row man!! LOL!!

MOTUC RECORD

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Aaarrgh! You're right Jafari, you're right! My bad, my bad.

Glad to have you aboard Jaf, you always add something great to these challenges. And that's awesome that you've done 3 in a row!! You'll be a regular in no-time.

Btw... I think this would be your first creature-design wouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Aaarrgh! You're right Jafari, you're right! My bad, my bad.

Glad to have you aboard Jaf, you always add something great to these challenges. And that's awesome that you've done 3 in a row!! You'll be a regular in no-time.

Btw... I think this would be your first creature-design wouldn't it?
    LOL!! Pred just teasing you buddy, ya know that!!
    Thanks for the kudos!! LOL!!
    I have been tossing ideas around for this guy since he was announced, so I'm hoping to bring out my best. Yes, this would be the 1st time I've done a creature for the boards, but I'm a HUGE King-Kong fan & really look forward to making a heroic Ape for the Masters mythos. You keep having so many great challenges like the last couple & I just can't help myself but participate!! Great ideas inspire great art!!

MOTUC RECORD

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    I'm a HUGE King-Kong fan
    Me too fella...LET BATTLE COMMENCE!!
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    ^ CAN'T WAIT!! Let's see what ya got Munky!!
    Last edited by JafariStew; February 9, 2009 at 05:44pm.

MOTUC RECORD

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    You keep having so many great challenges like the last couple & I just can't help myself but participate!! XD Great ideas inspire great art!!
    Thanks mate! ^^ I try my best to pick a good mix of concept-types, and sometimes it works, and sometimes it don't. I feel really lucky to have these last few challenges go so well, I must say.

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I don't remember this guy at all... was he ever made?
    No indeed he was not, mate. Check the first post again, and you'll notice he only ever made it to the sketch-stage.

It's time to unleash him upon the Evil Warriors!!

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    OMG! This.. will be good. ^^

I think I myself see him as a lot bigger than was intended, somewhere just above Mighty Joe Young, so he can carry more than one guy. Like, his seat carries one or two in a basket-like thingie, that can swivel up from his back on top of his shoulders. And then on the sides of the basket there would be like fold-up seats, on both sides, so a total of 3-4 peeps can ride on his back. Then he could have an add-on with a chest-harness, where one more guy as well can sit.

But the front-addon is only to be used when he walks on his legs, when the heroic Warriors are laying siege to some fortress.

In fact, it would be cool if his entire harness is modular wouldn't it? One standard piece with the basket, then add-ons for the sides, and then an add-on for the front, as well as with add-on guns for the front and for the sides.

Man...! This guy has all sorts of possibilities, now doesn't he??

ok everyone , my scanner is on thr fritz,, so i redrew my gygor in the computer and here he is
    he did not turn out as mean as my paper drawing looks.
    Eternian Beastmaster

Here's mine:

It was tough making the colors from Gygor's description work. Maybe they don't work? On the other hand, the description of Gygor's colors very much paralleled the garish colors of Battle Cat, so maybe if the colors don't work that means they are working? Anyways, I designed Gygor's helmet to mirror Battle Cat's as well. The guns are all modelled on Stridor's armaments. The chair mounted on Gygor's backpack should give you a sense of his scale.

A garishly colored giant gorilla decked out in a cape and high-tech energy weapons... hmmm... something's missing. Oh, I know--how about some supplemental nerdy background info, written by yours truly? Here you go:

PROFILE: Standing at well over 13 feet tall, the ancient being known as GYGOR is one of the most powerful entities on Eternia. His physical strength surpasses that of He-Man, his wisdom rivals that of the Sorceress, and his knowledge encompasses aeons of Eternia's rich history. His helm is made from the hide of a powerful prehistoric Eternian beast, and he is outfitted with a battle harness powered by an enchanted gem. The harness is armed with two heavy shoulder blasters, two hip mounted stun rays, and rotating light rapid fire blasters mounted on the back turret. Gygor rarely needs to rely on more than his brute strength and great wisdom, but he has also demonstrated powerful spellcasting abilities from time to time.

HISTORY: Gygor was already ancient in the days of King Grayskull, and in fact, records indicate that Gygor was a staunch ally and advisor to the legendary king. Allegedly, in modern day Eternia, Gygor has been sighted travelling towards Castle Grayskull. Has Gygor returned to aid the heroes of the land in the dark times that have descended upon Eternia? Only time will tell...

Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

Jafari: Yay!

Leoghan: Well, he still looks a bit mean so I think you got the gist of it. The big club puts the final pin in the pincussion, so to speak.

Bootleg: Kickass! That's one real-deal MotU-ape there. You're the one that has given him the most intelligent persona I notice! And yeah, you're right about the colours, they mirror Battle Cat's. And that's why I'm so surprised no-one's coloured his armour in a blueish Purple yet?

Battle-Cat has red armour for maximum contrast to his green fur, so logically, shouldn't Gygor have purple armour for maximum contrast to his golden fur?

Bootleg, that is beautiful. Love the classic era tech you've gone with. Fits perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    Here's mine:

It was tough making the colors from Gygor's description work. Maybe they don't work? On the other hand, the description of Gygor's colors very much paralleled the garish colors of Battle Cat, so maybe if the colors don't work that means they are working? Anyways, I designed Gygor's helmet to mirror Battle Cat's as well. The guns are all modelled on Stridor's armaments. The chair mounted on Gygor's backpack should give you a sense of his scale.

A garishly colored giant gorilla decked out in a cape and high-tech energy weapons... hmmm... something's missing. Oh, I know--how about some supplemental nerdy background info, written by yours truly? Here you go:

PROFILE: Standing at well over 13 feet tall, the ancient being known as GYGOR is one of the most powerful entities on Eternia. His physical strength surpasses that of He-Man, his wisdom rivals that of the Sorceress, and his knowledge encompasses aeons of Eternia's rich history. His helm is made from the hide of a powerful prehistoric Eternian beast, and he is outfitted with a battle harness powered by an enchanted gem. The harness is armed with two heavy shoulder blasters, two hip mounted stun rays, and rotating light rapid fire blasters mounted on the back turret. Gygor rarely needs to rely on more than his brute strength and great wisdom, but he has also demonstrated powerful spellcasting abilities from time to time.

HISTORY: Gygor was already ancient in the days of King Grayskull, and in fact, records indicate that Gygor was a staunch ally and advisor to the legendary king. Allegedly, in modern day Eternia, Gygor has been sighted travelling towards Castle Grayskull. Has Gygor returned to aid the heroes of the land in the dark times that have descended upon Eternia? Only time will tell...

Woah! This is the most amazing banana-eating ape guy ever! Real good work Bootleg!
    Danbrenus
    uomo libero e guerriero delle schiere Boiche

http://danbrenus.deviantart.com/
    My pre-Filmation minicomics:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184385
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189337
    Of course I do commission, after all I have to live!
    Chiaramente accetto commissioni, dovr˛ pur campare...

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    Here's mine:

http://home.att.net/~bootleg3/gygorweb.jpg

That's AWESOME. Just ... awesome. And I like that you made him ancient ... I was thinking along that route too before I scrapped mine (trust me, it was the right thing to do) - I was going to make him He-Ro's mount instead of He-Man's (and was going to leave him in Preternia rather than bring him up to modern Eternia).
    Last edited by j-bird; February 17, 2009 at 12:13pm.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Is there still room for entries? I'm still hammering out my idea. Granted it won't be a pretty colored piece, but I think it might be interesting.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

There's ALWAYS room for more entries! And there's still plenty of deadline to go. And you know, I'm always available if you need colour, y'see. I try to give everyone a fair chance.

hashbrown MotU VS. DC Andy Adams's Avatar
    Pred, i hope it isn't too late for my entry.

I had to go to a friend's housewarming party this evening. I didn't plan to be gone until this late but my wifey got a lil' tipsy so I blame her.

Anyways on to the show.

TRANSPORTATION MODE 1

TRANSPORTATION MODE 2

Other angles (Predabot pick whatever pic is your favorite for the polls, I trust 'ya)
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...2-28-09003.jpg
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...2-28-09004.jpg
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...2-28-09011.jpg
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...2-28-09014.jpg
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...2-28-09015.jpg
    http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...2-28-09024.jpg
    Great entries by everyone this time around BTW, it's going to be hard for me to pick just one personally.
    Last edited by Andy Adams; February 28, 2009 at 02:58am. Reason: link edit
    Bad times don't last forever but bad guys do ~ Razor Ramone

2-Bad: Awesome hairdo!! I like that you've given him a unique hair and beard! did you know that hominids ( **** sapien etc) are the only apes that have beard? That's pretty cool, if he's actually related to Eternians or some such. That's what I personally would have done, that he's actually related to the line of humanoids that eventually became Eternians, including He-man and Randor! Would be pretty cool if he had the power, wouldn't it?

Pretty nifty idea to combine the look of Beastman and Battle Cat's armour for him, btw.

Jafari: You made it!! Glad to see you've got that beastly touch! ^^ Intriguing backstory indeed! And you seem to overall be one of those that went for more of a character than steed/vehicle angle for him. He's really a very flexible concept isn't he?? You can play him as all sorts of things, since he's an ape.

Kent: Not too late! The deadline was moved to today, so you made it.
    And that's one BIG battle-harness! 0_0 Lucky he's a strong fella'. I really like the new golden paint-app btw. Looks better than the yellow.

Well lads, today is the deadline, so if there's still someone left, you've only got a few hours left before the doors close on the big, hefty, ape. I will most likely ask Monikasvo to do the poll, since I've currently got a deadline for a fanzine I'm a part of, so I don't think I'll have time to do the poll.
    Last edited by Predabot; February 28, 2009 at 09:09am.