Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Octavia Video Review by Pixel Dan

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar

MOTU Classics Octavia Video Review by Pixel Dan

You've all got her by now, but nonetheless, here's my review of Octavia! Enjoy! :-)

For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Awesome review as always, glad i ordered her on sale day. Considering her weak ankles, is it possible for her to stand on all four tentacles?

Heroic Warrior
    I don't see the problem with missing boot articulation. If you turn the boots, it wouldn't look anatomically correct anymore.

Looks like a nice figure, not a character I would buy, but cool, that it's a female monster...

She's a fantastic figure! Another great review as usual PD! I figured out the head off procedure as well to put her tentacles on. I hope everyone here was able to get one that wanted one. There shouldn't have been any feet dragging with this one! Even if you aren't a PoP fan…she's just a gorgeous figure!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

She's pretty!
    "Problems Weaver?"

Thank you for the great review.

And i totally agree with you on the NOT leotard issue since she is a water based character a bathing suit makes sense so why change it into a skirt?

She looks great and i can´t wait to get her!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Her hair is really soft and flexible. I would not mind if future female figures had the same type hair. If there is ever a She-Ra 3.0 I would like this hair on her.

Quote Originally Posted by zatoichi View Post
    Awesome review as always, glad i ordered her on sale day. Considering her weak ankles, is it possible for her to stand on all four tentacles?
    I don't think so. They don't really bend the right way for that. You'd almost have to lean her on her back to stand her up on all four tentacles. You can use the lower ones to balance her a bit, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    I don't see the problem with missing boot articulation. If you turn the boots, it wouldn't look anatomically correct anymore.

Looks like a nice figure, not a character I would buy, but cool, that it's a female monster...
    Yeah, I get that. But it hinders the amount of poses she can do. Especially when it's a cut you're used to in this line. I know she's not the first female to be missing it, but I've always been a fan of that cut on action figures.

Yeesh, I do not see what is so wrong with the skirt! I've seen the evidence against it, but I honestly feel the squid-head skirt is better looking and more interesting than a standard leotard. Better matches her theme. I mean I get everyone has thier own personal preference, but this one REALLY baffles me.

Anyway, other than the ankles, I'm really impressed with this one! Would have liked the tentacles to swing forward, but they have more then enough to work with as it is, and any way you pose those tentacles when the swords are on will get you a formidable pose! She always looks ready to slice anything into ribbons. The crossbow was a heck of a nice touch as well!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Yeesh, I do not see what is so wrong with the skirt! I've seen the evidence against it, but I honestly feel the squid-head skirt is better looking and more interesting than a standard leotard. Better matches her theme. I mean I get everyone has thier own personal preference, but this one REALLY baffles me.
    Yeah, it's like I said in the video. It's a personal prefrence thing for me. I acknowledged that it looked fine, but I'd just prefer the leotard. I felt the same way about Adora.

She is an awesome figure....I love her 100%....aside from the loose ankles....which I just fixed, and I have a second one from DOS coming for MOSC....she looks awesome carded too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I don't think so. They don't really bend the right way for that. You'd almost have to lean her on her back to stand her up on all four tentacles. You can use the lower ones to balance her a bit, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I get that. But it hinders the amount of poses she can do. Especially when it's a cut you're used to in this line. I know she's not the first female to be missing it, but I've always been a fan of that cut on action figures.
    The boot cut should have never been...cut....it looked better if not for any other purpose, it looked like the legs actually went inside the boots, now it just looks like painted on boots. The men still have the boot articulation, but it seems the Women are getting shafted....continuously loose ankles, at times a bobble head, and now a cut articulation joint....when the rest of the girls other than Frosta (which I can see her) and Netossa have it going all the way back to Goddess & Teela. It's stupid to be cutting it now....and assuredly Castaspella will be missing it as well.

Scott blaming it on the Horsemen was a lame excuse, when Mattel designers are the ones that translate it into a working figure....they could have opted to keep the boot cut, but they, and they alone chose not to. The Horsemen prototypes are non movable paint samples, not actual figures, that's why they are so brittle, and many have a one piece thigh and crotch assembly....so don't blame lost articulation on the 4H not sculpting in into their prototypes....by that logic, all MOTUC figures would have a solid one piece crotch / thigh assembly with no articulation.

Mattel changed Stinkor, Sorceress, Dekker...etc....after they were sculpted....so....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior Teacher of Madness's Avatar
    Love this figure! The ankles on mine are a bit looser than most of my other recent figures, but it looks like mine are tighter than yours. Haven't had much trouble standing her yet. The left hand (her left) on my figure is open much too far to hold any of her weapons though. Crossbow falls right out.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    You've all got her by now, but nonetheless, here's my review of Octavia! Enjoy! :-)
    No, sadly we don't...
    Great review nonetheless, Dan!
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Anyone notice the 1, 2 , 3 , 4 on each different tentacle?
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    I'm not sure why it is "baffling". I get that your preference may be that it looks fine, and while may not agree, I'm not "baffled" by that. Here are my issues:

1: It is not accurate to the Filmation cartoon. That is a reason I have seen a lot of people cite. If Skeletor had been released wearing a pink hood, while some people may have preferred pink over his traditional purple, I think we could all agree that it was not accurate in terms of previous portrayals.

2: It does not really look like a good skirt. If they decided that Octavia was going to wear a skirt, why not simply make it an actual skirt, as opposed to a strange looking triangle flap? Catra wears a skirt... why not make it look like that? Or like Netossa's? Heck they could have reused that part even. Or the Bubblepower She-Ra skirt.

3: This is an ongoing issue. Adora had a strange looking leotard design, and now so does Octavia. But they have shown the ability with Captain Glenn and Tallstar that they can make shaped pieces that look more like a "leotard" bottom.

Again I get the whole personal preference thing, but I don't get why someone would be "baffled" by people wanting a correct design. It is sort of like doing intentionally reversed forearms on a figure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Anyone notice the 1, 2 , 3 , 4 on each different tentacle?

yes I did, and at first I thought that maybe they had to go in a certain order. That doesn't seem to be the case, and I suspect it is that was so that factory workers get 1 of each tentacle in the package.

- - - Updated - - -

Great review Dan, as always . I appreciate you highlighting the figures pros (which are many) but also addressing the issues, in particular the ankle issues, which really seems to be widespread.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

If you are having ankle issues, Octavia is a female figure so she benefits from having the foot peg holes that actually "SNAP" onto the pegs in the stands...she locks in on the Grayskull stands really tight!
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Scott blaming it on the Horsemen was a lame excuse, when Mattel designers are the ones that translate it into a working figure....they could have opted to keep the boot cut, but they, and they alone chose not to. The Horsemen prototypes are non movable paint samples, not actual figures, that's why they are so brittle, and many have a one piece thigh and crotch assembly....so don't blame lost articulation on the 4H not sculpting in into their prototypes....by that logic, all MOTUC figures would have a solid one piece crotch / thigh assembly with no articulation.

Mattel changed Stinkor, Sorceress, Dekker...etc....after they were sculpted....so....
    Actually, the 4H do put articulation into their prototypes. The individual parts are held together at the joints by pins. However, I do agree that since Mattel are responsible for the tooling process, the amount of articulation a figure ultimately has is up to them.

Glad you mentioned the leotard problem and the very loose ankles, mine has the the same problem and I dont like the to long and wide leotard for her. Adoras is weird to.
    I hope TOYGURU sees that and help to make it better (much smaller) for Glimmer and other girls.
    And he should do something for the loose ankles...close the holes in the boots like the male characters...that would help a lot.

I think that the standard Leotard would hinder the articulation. Remember how old figures always had to sit with their legs wide open? I think that to make a real leotard, it would produce a similar effect.

I think it would also be harder to implement because the bottom would have to be closed or molded around the female figure's legs and crotch area, covering the seams and joints, but flexible enough to allow the legs to move normally. Not an easy thing I imagine.

People cite Captain Glenn as an example of how the leotard could be done, but don't forget, that was a removable one piece, non-waist articulated part that had 2 halves.

Heroic Warrior
    Do we know for sure if the crotch piece is new? I hadn't heard that.

After opening my Octavia, I'm beginning to think the design on the skirt was meant to fill out her hips. If you go back and look at the prototype pics, her hips seem a little too small, at least according to ideal female/ superheroine proportions (which are not realistic, but they are what we all expect when looking at fantasy characters like these-- the same goes for male characters). Especially when considering the size of her head, and the width of her shoulders from the shoulder pads, her hips really would look too small in comparison if she had the more form fitting unitard. The thickness of the skirt really fills out that form.

I would have preferred the leotard, but maybe this is why they chose the skirt route. Unfortunately, if this is true, I'm guessing it'll be pizza slices from now on!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    I'm not sure why it is "baffling". I get that your preference may be that it looks fine, and while may not agree, I'm not "baffled" by that. Here are my issues:

1: It is not accurate to the Filmation cartoon. That is a reason I have seen a lot of people cite. If Skeletor had been released wearing a pink hood, while some people may have preferred pink over his traditional purple, I think we could all agree that it was not accurate in terms of previous portrayals.

2: It does not really look like a good skirt. If they decided that Octavia was going to wear a skirt, why not simply make it an actual skirt, as opposed to a strange looking triangle flap? Catra wears a skirt... why not make it look like that? Or like Netossa's? Heck they could have reused that part even. Or the Bubblepower She-Ra skirt.

3: This is an ongoing issue. Adora had a strange looking leotard design, and now so does Octavia. But they have shown the ability with Captain Glenn and Tallstar that they can make shaped pieces that look more like a "leotard" bottom.

Again I get the whole personal preference thing, but I don't get why someone would be "baffled" by people wanting a correct design. It is sort of like doing intentionally reversed forearms on a figure.
    i think I can help you understand the design team's decision a bit better. It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. The Filmation Octavia's crotch is not entirely rounded like the leotards we've already seen in the line, it's kind of pointy:

They want to be as accurate as possible to this, while still offering posability, and living within the constraints of the line. Putting a leotard type bottom on a motuc female buck wouldn't capture the "pointed" look of the cartoon leotard. I often see people say "why didn't they just do what they did with Capn Glenn?" Well, that look doesn't capture the pointy crotch Filmation look very well:

Even with the new buck, you still would have that rounded look. Obviously, the "pointed" look was important to them, as that is what the Horsemen sculpted:

This is also not a total "wrap around" piece, but rather a pointed skirt. Of course, this looks better than the final toy, but this is a one off, hand sculpted piece that doesn't have to deal with the realities of a mass produced toy. Likely in the translation from prototype to real toy, the design team likely had to increase the crotch piece size to improve the final toy's articulation, or as a safety or manufacturing measure, or something. I'm sure they looked at multiple options, and found this was the best one. The only real way to have the pointed look with a wrap around piece would have been to sculpt a whole new crotch, which wasn't going to happen.

So, their two options were a rounded wrap around crotch, or a larger pointed skirt piece. I don't think they could please everyone, especially fans that had ephemeral, impossible notions of what a toy of her would look like in their head. Either way, fans would be whining. I think they made the choice that gives her a look that's unique in the line, looks good, and captures the essence of her Filmation design.
    Last edited by goluphi; June 21, 2013 at 01:01pm.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Those ankles suck!

Why don't you ever pose Horde Prime with your Evil Horde figures in your videos?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post

You generally make a fine point, but I do not believe ou illustrate it well with this example. I've read this before, not sure if it was from you or someone else, but I just don't agree. If Octavia came out with a blue outfit, that'd be like if they changed Skeletor's hood pink. This is a simple design change. More like swapping out Skeletor's fanned belt thing for the fuzzy loincloth.

Anyway, I personally don't like the leotard look. I don't understand going to war in swimwear. I guess it would make sense for Octavia, but personally I enjoy seeing an alternate take on it. To me it's a lazy design and just kinda squicky for all the women to essentially be swimsuit models.

To me, it's baffling that there are people that think there is some shadowy figure in the bowels of Mattel HQ doing their best to make female figures all slightly off. That's not directed at you, Barezz.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I get that it would not be a full wrap around piece do to the construction of MOTUC. To my knowledge, the only figure that has that type of construction in the line, be it male or female, is King Hiss. What i think might have helped is if the piece was shaped or molded to bend inwards a bit. Look at Snout Spout or Flipshot, they both do so.

I am not expecting a full "brief" piece like say Power Girl or Wonder Woman. But even if she had been designed more like Tallstar (not legs, the "brief/leotard piece) it would have looked better.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I think that the standard Leotard would hinder the articulation. Remember how old figures always had to sit with their legs wide open? I think that to make a real leotard, it would produce a similar effect.

I think it would also be harder to implement because the bottom would have to be closed or molded around the female figure's legs and crotch area, covering the seams and joints, but flexible enough to allow the legs to move normally. Not an easy thing I imagine.

People cite Captain Glenn as an example of how the leotard could be done, but don't forget, that was a removable one piece, non-waist articulated part that had 2 halves.
    Very good points!!!!!
    Last edited by bribri4u; June 21, 2013 at 01:11pm.
    Most Wanted Crita, Veena, EvilSeed, Prahvus, Sagitar, Calix, Tuskador, Vultak, Dylamug, Masque, Sebrian, Dree Elle, Uncle Montork, King Miro, Granita, Hawke, Hunga, Kittrina, Quakke, Butthead, Hoove, Darius, Spinwit, Nocturna, Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Lodar, Twiggets, Drissi, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Three Beast, Fang-Or, Great Black Wizard, Major Header, and Ra-Jar.