Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goddess/Sorceress: Same person or not?

Goddess/Sorceress: Same person or not?

What is your interpretation of The Goddess? We now know that when Teela is released she will come with a Teela head and a Goddess head, further establishing them as two seperate beings. I have been buying ony one figure thus far. When Teela is released i will be buying 2 or three, displaying them as both Teela and The Goddess. I'm curious as to what other fans think of this situation involving Teela and The Sorceress.

She is simply Teela wearing armor?

She is The Sorceress wearing Cobra Armor?

She is a seperate being from both Teela and The Sorceress?

I like the idea of The Goddess being a Preternia character from the days of He-Ro, but I also like the idea of her being The Sorceress in a Cobra motif.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

I would like Goddess to be linked to He-man. Maybe Sorceress could be grown-up Teela?

heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

I like the old mini comic book cannon where Skeletor Made Teela an exact clone of the Goddess so he could marry her and take over Eternia, so they are infact identicalbut 2 different beings To me Goddess is also the original Sorceress

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    In one of the mini-comics. The Goddess and Zoar are 2 different beings. And Zoar is suppose to be The Sorceress.

I'd rather have The Sorceress and The Goddess as 2 different beings. The only problem is, they both have a link with Teela as either mother (The Sorceress) or cloned from (The Goddess)!

So.... what now?
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Well, to me is quite simple, the lady in the cobra armor is the Sorceress (depicted as a falcon lady by Filmation) and Teela is her secret daughter, after all she, like said in the second minicomic "the king of Castle Greyskull", is the chosen keeper of Greyskull to wait until the true king's arrival.
    My hint is to make a green one to match the Sorceress first look and a pink one, cobra-less, sword wielding one for Teela, whit different heads of course.
    Danbrenus
    uomo libero e guerriero delle schiere Boiche

http://danbrenus.deviantart.com/
    My pre-Filmation minicomics:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184385
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189337
    Of course I do commission, after all I have to live!
    Chiaramente accetto commissioni, dovrς pur campare...

Heroic Warrior
    I think that the mini comics had a different origin story for most the the MOTU figures. When the Filmation cartoon came out, they changed the story to meet their needs.

I think that the figures were going to be released, and someone said, "Ok, these are the figures were about tho make, what can you come up with in a small comic that will include these figures, tell a little story, and help sell the other figures in the line"

Along those lines, I think someone named the "Teela" figure, the goddess, and in that world, the savage He-man was given the power armor to protect Eternia.

When the toys were released, and the figure was finally produced, the figure was named Teela, and her bio listed her as a warrior goddess.

As mentioned above, in one version, Teela was a clone of the Goddess raised by Skeletor, but saved by Man-at-arms.

Finally, in the cartoon, she was the daughter of the Scorceress, and raised by Man-at-arms.

Which storyline you want to go with... up to you.

I see the Green Goddess sorceress of the pre-eternia beyond old mini-comics where Sorceress was true.
    Teela prefer to be made with another mold, but I do not think, for something they are "classics".
    Anyway, I believe that nothing is the same person, I mind the fact that the Green Goddess is not exactly green.

I like the "Tale of Teela!" cloned story, myself. Then again, I have a soft spot for the pre-Filmation mini comics.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The Goddess is basically the Sorceress pre-Filmation.

Teela is a 20 year old clone of the Goddess.

I do have a story idea that the Cobra armor belonged to the Sorceress when she was Teela'na. She retired the whole "Teela outfit" when she became the Sorceress of Grayskull and gave it to Man-At-Arms to give to Teela when she reached maturity.

When Teela comes of age, MAA gives her the outfit. telling her that it comes from her mother. Teela has the cobra armored part, but she only uses it for huge, epic battles (She'd rather use her agility--armor slows her down).

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I've always fancied the idea that after Grayskull died, his wife Veena was charged with protecting his sword, but she knew it was too powerful and tempting for only one person, so she split the sword, hiding one inside the Castle, and hiding the other elsewhere.
    Since that time there has been a lineage of women chosen to protect Castle Grayskull and the swords. Those women have included Veena, The Green Goddess, The Sorceress, and eventually Teela, who will become The Goddess. Just my 2 cents
    Rigby the Barbarian - Swords, Sorcery and Sarcasm

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I liked the original idea in the Filmation bible that the Godess (Sorceress) was a cosmic entity sent from the stars to help guide the Council of Wisdom and give them the hero prophecy.

Heroic Warrior
    Teela is a clone of the Goddess. With the armor she'll be the Goddess/Sorceress, without she'll be "Teela". If/when they make the bird Sorceress, she'll be guardian of Grayskull, and the snake version will have other duties, but as always will defend Grayskull, as well. She'll interact with Zodac and He-Ro (assuming it gets made), too.
    ne jabba no badda!

If you're asking for personal interpretations, you'll get everything under the sun.

Officially? Now that's what we'll have to see when Teela comes out, as I'm sure there might be mention of it on her bio... I would think...

But seeing as the Snake head dress either disappeared or only appeared on Teela after the Toon began? I would say that the Goddess and the Sorceress were intended to be the same character. Or same role in the story.
    Last edited by Baena; February 12, 2009 at 10:45am.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    As a kid watching the MOTU cartoon, I was under the impression that since the Sorceress was Teela's mother and since she had a falcon-like costume, Teela would one day take over from her mom and instead of wearing a birdie outfit, her animal totem would be the cobra snake, voila...

So for me, Snake armor teela was a future Teela who would become the new Sorceress of Grayskull once her mom finally dies lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    If you're asking for personal interpretations, you'll get everything under the sun.

Officially? Now that's what we'll have to see when Teela comes out, as I'm sure there might be mention of it on her bio... I would think...

But seeing as the Snake head dress either disappeared or only appeared on Teela after the Toon began? I would say that the Goddess and the Sorceress were intended to be the same character. Or same role in the story.
    I'm wondering what will happen when "The Sorceress" is made because at that point we will already have The Goddess. Should they share the same head because they are the same person or should they be two different entities? The decision will ultimately be Mattel's but I'm just wondering what the majority of fans feel about it.
    Danielsan

All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Goddess is basically the Sorceress pre-Filmation.

Teela is a 20 year old clone of the Goddess.

I do have a story idea that the Cobra armor belonged to the Sorceress when she was Teela'na. She retired the whole "Teela outfit" when she became the Sorceress of Grayskull and gave it to Man-At-Arms to give to Teela when she reached maturity.

When Teela comes of age, MAA gives her the outfit. telling her that it comes from her mother. Teela has the cobra armored part, but she only uses it for huge, epic battles (She'd rather use her agility--armor slows her down).
    I'm not a fan of the whole clone thing in general. I your take on the armor being Teela'na's original custom and given to Man-At-Arms to give to Teela as she gets older. Great angle!

I think I look at this way;

Not much is known about the The Green Goddess but she wore the cobra armor until she became the Sorceress of Grayskull. Then the armor was given to a man raising a little girl name "Teela'na" and told that when she was older to give it to her. The man eventually did and Teela'na wore it and found it gave her strength as well as guided her somehow through the years. Then Teela'na was approached to become the Sorceress of Grayskull. She accepted, gave her baby Teela and the armor to Man-At-Arms and instructed him to give it to her when the time was right.

The purpose of the armor and it's origin is unknown, but it's powerful, helps tap the wearer into an increased strength and magic and is destined for every woman who eventually becomes the Sorceress of Grayskull.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    I see the Green Goddess sorceress of the pre-eternia beyond old mini-comics where Sorceress was true.
    Teela prefer to be made with another mold, but I do not think, for something they are "classics".
    Anyway, I believe that nothing is the same person, I mind the fact that the Green Goddess is not exactly green.
    She was only green once, and that was the very first mini comic after that she became caucasian

Quote Originally Posted by Red Trinity View Post
    I liked the original idea in the Filmation bible that the Godess (Sorceress) was a cosmic entity sent from the stars to help guide the Council of Wisdom and give them the hero prophecy.
    Zodak Got that job!!

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    She was only green once, and that was the very first mini comic after that she became caucasian.
    Yup, which is why some like to think of the Green Goddess as a different entity than the Goddess or the Sorceress.
    Which admittedly is a little silly seeing as you could do the same with the yellow and red outfit with Teela, just make her someone else. Or blonde Teela was Teela's blonde sister, or whatever. Again, everyone is going to have their own avis on the matter.

And if anyone is counting avis, (opinions), mine is such that might be described above, that she is someone unique from the caucasian Goddess or the falcon motif Sorceress.

I've done my own merging of stories as well with the incarnation of the MYP storyline and King Grayskull added in the mythos.
    I figure she plays the part that she did in the original minicomic. Only swap He-Man with King Grayskull. She was a guardian of ancient artifacts, an ancient magical cave, and that Castle Grayskull was there before King Grayskull. KG before he was king, was that "chosen warrior" of his time to defend the mysteries of Grayskull. He eventually did such a job at it that he finally became King Grayskull, a title that he earned. I kinda see GG as being a Goddess that helped or worked with and taught Veena the ways of a Sorceress.
    As to the "Caucasian Goddess" I kind of just write her off as Teela with the Head Dress on. Or like others here have said, a future Teela as she takes the mantle of Sorceress of Grayskull. I know that doesn't work with the Texiera minicomics, but for those I figure the Goddess plays the role of the Sorceress there. *shrugs*
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

She's the same person to me. She had a greenish sheen on her skin for a while, for magical reasons that no one can be able to understand. *shrugs*
    I like Zoar as a separate being too. Never liked the filmation sorceress or the fact that she lived in Grayskull. I like it to be a spooky, mysterious place.

Heh. The Sorceress has so many incarnations...

Veena
    Green Goddess
    The Goddess
    The Sorceress
    NA Sorceress
    200X Sorceress

I consider the Goddess and the Sorceress to be separate. I never got the impression that the Goddess lived in Castle Grayskull like the Sorceress did. I saw the Goddess' function as being the protector of the two halves of the Power Sword when they were hidden in Eternia. When the Power Sword was joined, and could grant access into Castle Grayskull, the Sorceress was still another line of defense to keep any one evil who may have gained both halves from entering Grayskull.

Now, where Teela comes into that - that's another story. Maybe the Sorceress was lie-telling about her husband, and Teela was actually the child of the Sorceress and the Goddess!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevenn View Post
    I consider the Goddess and the Sorceress to be separate. I never got the impression that the Goddess lived in Castle Grayskull like the Sorceress did. I saw the Goddess' function as being the protector of the two halves of the Power Sword when they were hidden in Eternia. When the Power Sword was joined, and could grant access into Castle Grayskull, the Sorceress was still another line of defense to keep any one evil who may have gained both halves from entering Grayskull.

Now, where Teela comes into that - that's another story. Maybe the Sorceress was lie-telling about her husband, and Teela was actually the child of the Sorceress and the Goddess!
    Nice observation!

She seemed to be a guardian of Eternia and Nature (She's always outside playing with animals when we see her) rather than anything involving Castle Grayskull directly, IIRC. That duty fell on The Spirit of Castle Grayskull*. That was basically the guardian before the Sorceress.

I guess Filmation merged TSOCG*, The Goddess and Zoar into one big whole.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Heh. The Sorceress has so many incarnations...

Veena
    Green Goddess
    The Goddess
    The Sorceress
    NA Sorceress
    200X Sorceress

Don't forget Kodak Ungol
    Danielsan

All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Don't forget Kodak Ungol
    We can't get Filmation characters...but I see your point.

All I know is when they decide to release a "Goddess" figure, they better call her "The Goddess" and not "The Green Goddess". I hate that name as much as everyone hates Demo-Man.