Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too many variants in 2014-15 wrap-up?

Too many variants in 2014-15 wrap-up?

So, I was wondering if I'm the only one who thinks that there are way, way too many variants in the two-year wrap-up period (2014-15). We were told we would get the vintage MOTU variants, which is fair enough. And we were also told there were not enough slots available for figures like Lord Masque, Darius or Tuskador. Again, my first thought was: fair enough.
    But now it turns out that in 2014-15 we are getting a full year worth of variants (no less than twelve!) and that at SDCC alone no less than five variants that were not in the vintage line(s) have been confirmed.

So, in total we have twelve variants confirmed for 2014-2015 so far (not all of these have been revealed yet but I think we can take TG's word that the vintage MOTU variants definitely are coming, therefore I included figures like the Laser guys and BS Hordak in this list):
    • Filmation Hordak
    • NA Skeletor
    • FF He-Man
    • TC Skeletor
    • Laser He-Man
    • Laser Skeletor
    • BS Hordak
    • NA She-Ra
    • Oolar
    • Snake Armor He-Man
    • BA King Hiss
    • helmetless Man-At-Arms

Of these twelve variants, at SDCC five variants were revealed that were not part of the vintage lines:
    • NA She-Ra
    • Oolar
    • Snake Armor He-Man
    • BA King Hiss
    • helmetless Man-At-Arms

I'm pretty disappointed and did not see this coming. There even are rumors that there will be more variants then the ones listed above.
    I would have preferred at least some original characters (like Darius, Crita, Tuskador, Lord Masque etc.) instead of so many variants. IMO the oversized slots could be used in a much better way, too (Stridor, anyone?).

What is everyone's thoughts on this?
    Awesome sticker included!

There are still plenty of figures left to be revealed this year. Also the higher number of variants makes sense with the set goal of completing the vintage line. The Man-At-Arms variant is the only figure I would call out as being unneeded. Fortunately we can open the Battle Ram packaging, remove the figure, and still have a nice boxed Battle Ram to display. Personally, considering Battle Ram's back end was re-sculpted from the original prototype we saw years ago, I would have paid the price it's being offered at even without the added figure, so it's a nice bonus.
    Last edited by AdultCollector; July 27, 2014 at 05:08pm.

I can sort of see your point, but to me it doesn't seem like any of the variants for 2014-15 are superfluous, either being required to finish the vintage line (as per TG's promise) or being fan demanded.

The only variant outside of the essential sub wrap uo to divide fans is NA She Ra. But before she was officially announced (or rather, before she was leaked) there was a lot of positivity from the Mini Comic where she appeared. People wanted her as a figure.

Snake Armour He-Man is fan demanded because of its rarity outside the United States (in its original 200X form).

Helmetless MAA is fan demanded in the respect that it comes with the ponytailed head, which 200X fans have been after, and the double sided armour which Filmation fans want. Personally I'll have four MAA figures (I have two Snake MAA, one of which I used to make a moustachioed 200X MAA) vintage toy, 200X, Filmation and Snake MAA.

Let's also not forget that, prior to the 2013 line, we were receiving quarterly variants and beasts. It's the only way to get them all out before the end of the current Classics line-up. And they're making good on a promise, so I can't see that there's any other way to do it like this. Maybe BS Hordak will be packaged with Mantisaur as the $60 end of year holiday item. That way, you're getting an essential beast with what some regard an iffy variant.
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

For me personally, it's the variants that I'm interested in and have me seriously considering subbing for the first time.

I have little-to-no interest in the remaining vintage figures or random Filmation characters (I'd much rather have Filmation variants of the main characters, incidentally). Even if I think the Snake Armor, while looking cool, is completely nonsensical (leaving his heart unprotected), I'd rather have a variant like Snake Armor He-Man, a look he had for nearly an entire season of the 200x show, than a character who showed up once or twice on the Filmation cartoon (I, for instance, have no clue who Lizard Man is, although I know he's a character people have been clamoring for). That goes for the rest of the variants as well.

That being said, this is just my opinion, and I'm not knocking fans who want those other figures, but you did ask
    -KTC

My FREE full-length MOTU novel:

MOTU: The Keldor Chronicles

And its newly-released sequel (which is also FREE):

MOTU: Legacies

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    I was pleasantly surprised by the variants revealed at SDCC 2014. King Hiss and SA He-Man were particularly cool. Still, I agree that too many slots are being used for variants instead of original characters.
    Surely some variants should have been held until 2016. I would have preferred Mattel to give us more Filmation or 200X characters instead.
    The thing is I will not be cross if the line lives beyond 2015 and if we can get characters like Hunga, Granita, Vultak, Prahvus, Sunder, Masque, Darius... in classics (or in a signature line).
    If 2015 truly means the end of classics-sized figures and we have like ten He-Man variants and no Granita, no Vultak, no Prahvus etc I know I will feel a bit disappointed. Especially because we've been told that slots were so precious and were to be used for long demanded characters. NA She-ra is cool.
    Still she shouldn't have been made before at least 10 animated characters...
    Anyway, I'll try and be positive. The late reveals were great. Lizard Man Huntara, Ninjor, Mermista, Arrow... were very cool. I would never have thought that one day MOTU would have been reborn and that characters like Marlena, Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Madame Razz, Icer, Octavia, He-ro, Eldor, Batros, Geldor or Adora would have been done as action figures.
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Heroic Warrior
    We are getting too many variants for a year which we have been reassured again and again and again is meant to wrap up
    vintage figures and key characters from other media.

Everyone knew 2015 was going to be variant heavy because the remaining vintage slots contained a lot of variants. That's fine-- we all knew that going in. We were told that was going to happen.

But I do not understand the logic of piling even more variants on top of the 5 we were already guarunteed.

Repeatedly, when Toy Guru has been asked why we can't get a Teela 2.0, Sorceress 2.0, etc, his argument has been that every time we use a slot for a variant, we lose
    a slot for a new and unique character. So, based on the SDCC reveals, we will now be missing out on 5 new and unique characters.

Think of all the cool characters we will not be getting now because of those variants--- Evilseed, Calix, Sagitar, Crita, Masque, Skeleton Warriors, Lodar, Horde Wraith, Dylamug, Veena, Hawke, Vultak, Hunga, Granita, Mask of Power Demons...

I understand that a lot of fans are happy with the 2000x two pack, and that's fine. There's nothing wrong with the figures. King Hiss in particular looks great. I know there were some people (I guess) clamoring for MAA with a ponytail.

The point is, that's not what we've been sold the last 2 years. The promises started way back during the sub drive in summer 2013. The deal was that if we
    all came together and pushed these subs through, we would get 2 solid years of vintage figures and key characters from other media.

The Hover bots are a perfect example. They fit that description to a T. They are key, unproduced characters from other media. Those would have been completely appropriate in
    that 2000x two pack slot. Not because they are cooler figures. Not because they're Filmation. Because they fit the description of the sub as it has been sold to us for 2 years.

This does not boil down to factions or preference. Just because you like the figures (which again, is great) it does not negate the fact that this is a total bait and switch.
    Last edited by Gnarliehog; July 27, 2014 at 01:33pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I agree with the fact that this is a very variant friendly sub but if we had not been asking for a lot of this, it wouldn't have happened.

Many of us have been clamoring for Snake Armor He-man, Oolar, King Hiss 2.0, and New Adventures She-ra. We got them. They listened. Mattel has given us a lot of what we asked for and now we are complaining. They can still throw Starburst She-ra, another Catra, and 200X versions of Evil-Lyn, Sorceress and Teela at us and I'm not going to complain. Most of it seems to be coming out of the main sub. You don't want it, don't buy it.

At the end of the day, these are still some of the best sculpted and exciting reveals we have seen in a very long time. This is shaping up to be a stellar year, in my opinion.
    It's all been done before. Everything to say has already been said. Do me a solid and pretend I posted something witty and and original here

Of course there are too many variants in 2015 specifically.

I do not blame them however since finishing the vintage MOTU figures is a lofty goal and very worth acheiving. If the line had better legs at this juncture I know they would have done a He-Man/Skeletor a year, but what with trying to finish in 2015, I do not blame them getting horned in on here. I would have rather the fandom been more supportive and had a thriving line following the orignal roadmap. I really hope for a continuing line in this style and it seems likely.

However they had to be sure to get the vintage out in 2015. Right choice though I'd rather not have more variants of He-Man/Skeletor.

however other character variants, like man at arms, oolarr, Hiss. I am all for. Sure, there's alot of new characters, or characters who dont have figures yet, but I have some variant wants. I love the oolar, and especially that new Man at Arms. The Snake Armour He Man is the most deserving varaint for 200x and I know people are exstatic to get him, even if I personally dont need him. I'll be happy to have him. I specifically dont want a 200x Hiss, but since he exists now, and looks great, I'll find a place for him.

As a matter of fact, I'd love variants of Catra (vintage toy)& He-Man (Slime Pit) and I really wanted but didnt expect a Filmation Man at Arms and Filmation Hordak. So that's tops. I love the NA She Ra. I wouldnt mind a Queen Teela for King He Man and maybe from how it sounds we may get something like this.

But specifically the probable 2 packs of the last 2 He-Man/Skeletor variants I could have skipped if it ment more characters who didnt get a figure yet. However as I said I do not blame them because I know how important it is and will be for a complete redo of the vintage line.

So here's to 2016 and obscure and new characters.

Make mine Songster!

Heroic Warrior
    We all "bought in" to this deal in 2013. "Buy in now, come together, make the commitment, save the line-- and 2014- 2015 will look like this."

Gauging the levels to which these variants were requested is moot. Just about any figure you can think of has vocal following.

If, way back in 2013, Toyguru had said "If you all make the commitment to save the sub this year, 2014-2015 will wrap up the vintage line, PLUS up to 5- 6 extraneous variants of characters we already have, the line would be dead right now. If he had said "Rather than new characters like Hunga and Evilseed, we're going to focus on 200x variants," the line would be dead right now.
    Last edited by Gnarliehog; July 27, 2014 at 01:59pm.

Widget
    In my opinion, variants are essential in a line for adult collectors.

I don't necessarily mean the "toy variants" like Flying Fists He-Man or Dragon Blaster Skeletor, but variants that are based on a different look of one character in other medias, i.e. the 200x King Hssss, Eternos Palace Randor or TOD Sorceress.

I love to get variants like 200x- or Filmationversions of the key-characters. Still hoping for Skeletor, He-Man and Hordak in thoese looks.

I absolutely agree there are way too many variants. But, I've been saying all along that 2015 would have the most variants than in any other single year of MOTUC, and I can confirm there are at least 3 more variants coming next year not on the thread starter's list.

Heroic Warrior
    Were you saying it back in 2013? Toy Guru sure wasn't saying it when he was selling the subs. The vintage variants--- yes, those were given. Everything else-- no.

After these reveals, 2014-15 will have included at least 13 variants. That's if no more are announced. That's an entire subscription right there, plus a bonus figure.
    Last edited by Gnarliehog; July 27, 2014 at 01:55pm.

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    Of these twelve variants, at SDCC five variants were revealed that were not part of the vintage lines:
    • NA She-Ra
    • Oolar
    • Snake Armor He-Man
    • BA King Hiss
    • helmetless Man-At-Arms

I'm pretty disappointed and did not see this coming. There even are rumors that there will be more variants then the ones listed above.
    I would have preferred at least some original characters (like Darius, Crita, Tuskador, Lord Masque etc.) instead of so many variants. IMO the oversized slots could be used in a much better way, too (Stridor, anyone?).

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

i agree, as cool as they look. i am not happy about these new variants. it's what killed 200x & i'm still not getting toy versions of the pop girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarliehog View Post
    We are getting too many variants for a year which we have been reassured again and again and again is meant to wrap up

Everyone knew 2015 was going to be variant heavy because the remaining vintage slots contained a lot of variants. That's fine-- we all knew that going in. We were told that was going to happen.

But I do not understand the logic of piling even more variants on top of the 5 we were already guarunteed.

Repeatedly, when Toy Guru has been asked why we can't get a Teela 2.0, Sorceress 2.0, etc, his argument has been that every time we use a slot for a variant, we lose
    a slot for a new and unique character. So, based on the SDCC reveals, we will now be missing out on 5 new and unique characters.

Think of all the cool characters we will not be getting now because of those variants--- Evilseed, Calix, Sagitar, Crita, Masque, Skeleton Warriors, Lodar, Horde Wraith, Dylamug, Veena, Hawke, Vultak, Hunga, Granita, Mask of Power Demons...

I understand that a lot of fans are happy with the 2000x two pack, and that's fine. There's nothing wrong with the figures. King Hiss in particular looks great. I know there were some people (I guess) clamoring for MAA with a ponytail.

The point is, that's not what we've been sold the last 2 years. The promises started way back during the sub drive in summer 2013. The deal was that if we
    all came together and pushed these subs through, we would get 2 solid years of vintage figures and key characters from other media.

The Hover bots are a perfect example. They fit that description to a T. They are key, unproduced characters from other media. Those would have been completely appropriate in
    that 2000x two pack slot. Not because they are cooler figures. Not because they're Filmation. Because they fit the description of the sub as it has been sold to us for 2 years.

This does not boil down to factions or preference. Just because you like the figures (which again, is great) it does not negate the fact that this is a total bait and switch.
    exactly. we could have gotten new characters with minimal tooling that would have fit that description, instead he went with variants that are new & not necessary
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    We've asked for those variants FOR YEARS. Only the Man-At-Arms is a left field, but that Unhelmeted 200X head was very much in demand.

How many of us were upset about King Hsss' wabbit toothed snakes way back in 2010 and wanted the 4H and Mattel to make the Earl Norem snakes? Did fans forget about the outrage over those shoulders? That stuff made fans want the 200X version even more.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn before 2015 is done. Some fans were ****** about Battleground Evil-Lyn being a repaint. 200X Sorceress is a popular one too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    i agree, as cool as they look. i am not happy about these new variants. it's what killed 200x & i'm still not getting toy versions of the pop girls.
    STUPID gimmick variants are what killed 200X, not variants that the fans have been asking for. Huge difference between variants that were actually used on the show versus non-canon action feature variants that Mattel thinks kids will buy.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I'm not a huge fan of variants but I have to admit that a NA She-Ra, Snake Armor He-Man and Battle Armor King Hsss are bad ass!!! I cannot wait for them. I'm also excited for Oo-Lar (and I really was not a fan of him), between him and SA He-Man we will have every major variant media head.

I do wish, from the beginning, they had released a He-Man/Skeletor Variant 2-pack each year instead of on He-Man variant one Skeletor Variant. Between vintage, NA, 200X, and other media they could have kept those sets going for a long time, and kept them interesting.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarliehog View Post

I disagree. We are wrapping up the line and most of these variants have been fan demanded for years. Wrapping up means finishing all of the loose ends--variants included.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    STUPID gimmick variants are what killed 200X, not variants that the fans have been asking for. Huge difference between variants that were actually used on the show versus non-canon action feature variants that Mattel thinks kids will buy.
    If true, then jettison the vintage variants as they were not based on anything media wise and add other variants such as Filmation Clawful and Evil-Lyn. I could care less about anymore He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak, or She-Ra variants. Those will just end up in the garbage cause you cannot sell them on the secondary market.

You took the words out of my mouth... or off of my typing fingers. Whatever
    -KTC

My FREE full-length MOTU novel:

MOTU: The Keldor Chronicles

And its newly-released sequel (which is also FREE):

MOTU: Legacies

Heroic Warrior
    People have been asking for Dylamug, Sagitar, Lodar and Evilseed FOR YEARS. Again, it's a moot point. IF Toyguru has sold 2014-2015 as including at least 13 variants-- it would not have gone through. There would be no subscription. I sure as hell wouldn't have committed 1000's of dollars in a joint effort with fellow fans and Toyguru to squeeze the most characters out of the last 2 years.

We've asked for those variants FOR YEARS. Only the Man-At-Arms is a left field, but that Unhelmeted 200X head was very much in demand.

How many of us were upset about King Hsss' wabbit toothed snakes way back in 2010 and wanted the 4H and Mattel to make the Earl Norem snakes? Did fans forget about the outrage over those shoulders? That stuff made fans want the 200X version even more.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn before 2015 is done. Some fans were ****** about Battleground Evil-Lyn being a repaint. 200X Sorceress is a popular one too.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Gnarliehog; July 27, 2014 at 02:10pm.

With all the excitement 2015 is generating, I'm growing more and more confident we'll be seeing a 2016. Characters like Hunga, Dylamug, Vultak, Lord Masque, Crita, Sagitar etc. will be important in seeing a subscription being met.
    Let's get HUNGA THE HARPY before 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by swind15 View Post
    With all the excitement 2015 is generating, I'm growing more and more confident we'll be seeing a 2016. Characters like Hunga, Dylamug, Vultak, Lord Masque, Crita, Sagitar etc. will be important in seeing a subscription being met.
    I'm not. 2015 is way too variant heavy and may overall affect sales of this sub. I'm not convinced yet this sub will sell through.

4 He-Men in any year is too many, especially when we are getting close to 20 in MOTUC.

I want the variants. Hell, I like the variants. They can come over to my house and **** my sister. 8 in a year is too many, now we're up to 13? I don't care how popular or highly requsted they are, it's crazy. They should have been what was voted on.

Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    I'm not. 2015 is way too variant heavy and may overall affect sales of this sub. I'm not convinced yet this sub will sell through.
    I agree that there are a lot of variants (I'm not a fan of variants by the way), but we're at least still getting:

Blast Attack
    Dragstor
    Saurod
    Squeeeze
    Mara
    Angella
    Peekablue
    Perfuma
    Multi-bot
    Rotar/Twistoid, etc.

The rest of 2015 is going to be awesome. I'm confident, because the future looks really bright in MOTU land.
    Let's get HUNGA THE HARPY before 2016!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by swind15 View Post
    That's EXACTLY RIGHT. You hit the nail on the head. If fans want those figures, they'll have to sub up in 2016. Bait and switch, bait and switch, bait and switch...

I agree. The amount of variants feels excessive. We already knew we were going to be heavy on them, but coming up with a large number of new ones invented or pulled from concepts and making 3 out of the 6 reveals for 2015 non-vintage variants was a bit shocking. There are at least two heavily-rumored post-SDCC variants to add to that list, as well. It was not what I was expecting.