Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mini-Comic "HOMECOMING" discussion (spoilers inside!)

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar

New Mini-Comic "HOMECOMING" discussion (spoilers inside!)

So, presumably most subscribers will start getting their new mini-comic (with OO-LARR), so I thought it made sense to set up a thread for discussion.

In Pixel Dan's OO-LARR review, we can see a few pages, so I have taken the liberty of taking screen shots for discussion here ->

Seem to be lots of small hidden references and interesting characters such as Sky-High, Scrollos, Skelcons, and the SOH heroes (Forklift/AirBag/Kayla/"Man-E-Faces II"/ etc

Also the blurb on the final page seems to mention Illumina...and some interesting possibilities in regards to Dare, which I will spoiler below

Possible spoiler about Dare

I find it VERY interesting that Dare now has brown hair, purely cause I speculated years ago, that somehow He-Ro (Dare), and the original He-Ro (Gray), were gonna turn out to actually be the same character, after Dare gets sent back in time and infected with the techno-virus, and his memroy wiped. Also the inclusion of Horde Prime's floating head on the last panel could support this, as I believe he was involved in sending He-Ro to Preternia in the original bio. It looks like we'll find out next issue though, as it states Dare will "meet" original He-Ro (although like I said, I reckon this is a play on words, and he will actually "become" the original He-Ro...)
    MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Really, Really nice shot of the Castle in that second grab. No offense to anyone, im a Huge Man-E-Faces fan, but that redesign is horrible. I'm not sure who's edict that was but I'm not a fan of it.

What some people may not appreciate or get, is that characters like Man-E, is that there's a cool clunkiness they have. where a idea might seem hard to get or sound silly in concept , is just visually fun.

Yeah a shape changer with a metal techno bucket on his head might not sound practical---he just looks cool. I think that's part of the magic of this line.

But overall Axel did some great stuff here.
    Last edited by ksharpe; February 28, 2015 at 01:06pm.

Hmm. I actually really like the "Man-E-Faces II" look, but I HATE "Ram Man II". That design makes him look like his ability is turning into a giant bowling ball. Of course, these are basically the same designs we've seen for them for years, so nothing really new there. Kay-La looks FANTASTIC. Axel did an amazing job with what he was given to work with. The art is beautiful.

Interesting suggestion about He-Ro, Missile-Toe. I've heard it before and didn't think it would ever happen, but the way you explained it makes it seem like it might actually be possible. Then again...saying he is going to meet the man he is named after...so, he is going to meet He-Ro, realize they are one and the same, then later get sent back further with his memory wiped...and die? That would be an EXTREMELY short career for the character that was meant to carry the next leg of the franchise! Lol.

Btw- on that page where King He-Man and Orko go to the Forge (I can't tell what they are doing) - in the upper left of the page, is that He-Ro feeding Craven seeds from his hand? Interesting nod to the Filmation He-Ro concept, when nothing else sends to have been used.
    Come on Matty! Show me DRAGSTOR!!!

WHERE'S CRITA???? C'MON MATTY! DO THE RIGHT THING!

Heroic Warrior
    I just hope that nothing bad happened to Teela. Because if that's the case, this will be the end of MOTU for me, and i' m not going to buy not even the 200X mini sub, even if i love every single figure of it. So Mattel be ware of what are you doing, and stop with this masacre.

Heroic Warrior
    Are Man-E-Faces II and Ram Man II just different uniforms or different people maybe their sons?

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Kunle View Post
    Are Man-E-Faces II and Ram Man II just different uniforms or different people maybe their sons?
    I was asking myself the same thing those "II" are weird. If it is their sons Man-E-Faces II must be Peekablues kid. Maybe he has some extra powers than as well?
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Kunle View Post
    I hadn't even thought about that. I thought that perhaps they were two of the folks who had gone to Primus with He-Man, got NA armor, then returned to Eternia while He-Man went on his decade-long journey to find She-Ra.

God...I hope those weren't their sons. That would be just awful.

Granamyr80...that is the big mystery we are going to have to wait until December to find out. Uggghhh. I have trouble believing they'd kill her off, but...I don't know. A promising point is that she's been referred to as "Queen Teela" many times, but according to this mini she was only the queen for like 5 minutes before that explosion, so I'm expecting she will be around to actually serve some time as Queen.

On the other hand, the next issue is about time travel. Maybe she did die in the explosion and we are going to see them going back to rescue her? (But not save the castle because that would alter events, and in MOTUC, you can apparently shuffle people around through time like chess pieces, but not influence recorded events. Lol.)
    Come on Matty! Show me DRAGSTOR!!!

WHERE'S CRITA???? C'MON MATTY! DO THE RIGHT THING!

I'm really scared of the 2016 line now...
    Awesome sticker included!

Castle Grayskull was destroyed in the DC Comics, too... but "in my canon" it's not the sort of place that can ever be truly destroyed. Much to the villains' chagrin, it would build itself back up.
    But, yeah... ToyGuru did this just to be controversial and get people fired up. I find it to be a pretty gross move, myself. You rocked the fanbase with some good old fashioned shock value, good for you. But... now what? Where does the story go when you wipe out where the power of the universe is kept hidden? I guess that's what we'll find out in Parts 2 and 3. You know, after we watch more characters die and we're left with the Son Of He-Man characters... fun times.
    Last edited by zodak74; February 28, 2015 at 05:42pm.
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I'm guessing Man E Faces II is he and Peekablue's son.

If Ram-Man II is the same thing, I'm calling it now: Perfuma and Ram-man hook up in her bio
    We were specifically told that Dare would not be in 2014-2015, see the words straight from Scott here: http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...808#9101046808

Oh wow! Thanks for this! AWESOME art!

And I really want a Fork-Lift figure now! And Skeleteen. And Dare (Prince Adam 200X repaint). And Despara. And the rest.

LOVE it! These mini-comics get me so excited for new figures..!

The writing might not be amazing, but the art certainly is! They're like little catalogues of future possible figures!
    MASS REJECTION ~ FRESH MEAT is coming www.facebook.com/massrejection

Join my Official REJEKTOR (created by Jim 'BUBBLOR' Johnston) Facebook page! www.facebook.com/Rejektor

Heroic Warrior
    *sigh* I can't imagine much positivity is coming, anyway my thoughts:
    The art looks very nice - except those Sorceress Teela faces (third image down) - huge mouth, looks like a scary LA Mallrat but really if that's the only complaint art-wise Ginemez has succeeded admirable (and better than most pros working for the Big Two!)- the shot of Grayskull blowing up is fantastically drawn though again I expect more comments like Lich Leech's (think that's bad - DC erased the entire golden age from their continuity a few years ago, blowing up a building - albeit an iconic one - in a pack-in mini-comic of little consequence doesn't seem so terrible to me). Very pleased to see the He-Ro II Story Bible Masters show up, it proves Mattel owns them, it gets them in an official product (albeit one of little consequence) and of course they're fantastically drawn - still a little saddened that they'er going with the NA-style He-Ro II though, especially as the Story Bible Masters shows there's no reason to do it other than TG wanted to.
    Great to see Scrollos, though I don't remember him being so damn happy. I hope that splash page will reassure people that Skeleteen, silly name aside, can look cool in the right hands - though I'd've preferred they mixed in the He-Ro II Story Bible Evil Warriors too (Ever-Mean, Missile-Toe etc), the Evil Warriors squad looks really empty up there. I also like the idea of them being little catalogs for future figures .

VERY Unfortunately, I believe this is a catalogue for at least 1/2 the upcoming figures. I hope 2016's TG inspired line-up doesn't KILL the chances of 4H style MOTUC figures in 2017 & beyond. I really hope these SOH pitch & MOTUC mini-Comic characters on;y get a figure here & there for now........at least until a wealth of other "Classic" characters w/ nostalgic Vintage MOTU roots are made first! Then I won't care if a whole line of SOH & MOTUC mini-comics characters get a whole subscription, so SOH + DC 52 MOTU + MOTUC mini-comic characters Sub for 2018-2019!
    invisibleboy - Unseen, But DEFINITELY NOT Unheard! Sorry bout it.

If there are Son Of He-Man characters coming, I think I'd like to see them try to carry an add-on sub of their own. Not in a mean way or anything, but I would love to see if Mattel has enough confidence in these "new" characters and this new branch of the mythos to push them hard, or if they'll slot them into a regular sub- not necessarily "tricking" hardcore fans into buying them, but basically making it so that we have to own them whether we dig the concept or not, just to get the figures we DO want (be it more NA, Filmation, 200X, whatever...).
    I like some of the stuff we've been shown, so yes- I would probably sub up for Son Of He-Man if it were something like:
    Lady Slither
    Robowoman
    Bubblor
    Major Header
    Kay-La
    Fork-Lift

And then you sprinkle the other stuff in this way: SDCC Exclusive: He-Ro II Vs. Skeleteen <<< kind of a great way to "premiere" this new era of Masters Of The Universe and get it a ton of exposure, no?
    Make Hans Hammer Holder a quarterly figure with a Ram Man price point in the regular 2016 sub, and maybe ONE more slot in Club Eternia 2016 goes to a Son Of He-Man era character. Then you've got all the other slots to fill up with Filmation, NA, 200X, mini-comics, variants, two-packs, beasts, etc. etc.
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Anyone notice that He-Man is the laser one in the first panel?

The next look is the movie one with the red cape.

Then we have King He-Man.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    This is the lowest point in the history of the property. If I had a copy of this, I would burn it out of respect for Masters of the Universe.
    I disagree. Masters of the Universe is about He-Man and Skeletor fighting a battle between good and evil. Castle Grayskull has been part of the premise, but what's wrong with moving on from that? I can't say about the specific context here, because I don't know it, but I think it's a great way to force the franchise to move forward in theory.

The lowest point in franchise history is slitting He-Man's throat. Okay, to be fair, I don't have all the context there either, but as much as I've seen interesting diversions coming from the DC Comics, its gritty, depressing world is what really betrays Masters of the Universe. I'm not saying Filmation is the baseline, but no other version of He-Man has been so violent and cynical.

Back to the main topic though, I'd like to see more of this minicomic in detail. The quick preview is nice, but it's probably all I'm going to get. I only own one of them.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Castle Grayskull blew up in the final Star comic in the 80's, the new DC comic and now the MOTUC mini-comic. It explodes a lot.

I don't believe 2016 will be Son of He-Man centric. If you guys recall, Toyguru said the King He-Man/Clawful Mini-Masters set seemed like an odd choice, but they were planning something based around that, which got kiboshed. They had the sculpt for King He-Man still, so they released it, not wanting to waste it.

It was HEAVILY rumoured previous to this that Scott planned the entire future of MOTU to be Skeleteen vs He-Ro II (Dare) and there were even rumours a new toy line and media were going to start out from this point. That could have been true and was the stuff that they decided to go against.

I really think 2016 will be a robust line with a healthy mix of characters like it's always been. We probably are getting Skeleteen and He-Ro II in 2015 or 2016. I'm fine with that, but REALLY want He-Ro II to look like the Lou Scheimer productions version and not the NA He-Man repaint nonsense. I also want Kay-La. She's awesome and will be Fisto's daughter (she's MAA's neice). I don't really want any of the others....except nearly naked VooDoo Evil-Lyn. She's all sorts of interesting!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Master Jokubas View Post
    I disagree. Masters of the Universe is about He-Man and Skeletor fighting a battle between good and evil. Castle Grayskull has been part of the premise, but what's wrong with moving on from that?
    Everything is wrong with it. Castle Grayskull has always been the center of everything. Without Castle Grayskull, there is no Masters of the Universe. In a way, CG is the most important character.

I can't say about the specific context here, because I don't know it, but I think it's a great way to force the franchise to move forward in theory.
    I disagree that destroying everything moves anything forward. It's cheap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Castle Grayskull blew up in the final Star comic in the 80's, the new DC comic and now the MOTUC mini-comic. It explodes a lot.
    Okay, one of the three lowest points in the history of the property.
    Last edited by Lich Leech; February 28, 2015 at 10:51pm.
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    I disagree. Masters of the Universe is about He-Man and Skeletor fighting a battle between good and evil. Castle Grayskull has been part of the premise, but what's wrong with moving on from that? I can't say about the specific context here, because I don't know it, but I think it's a great way to force the franchise to move forward in theory.

The lowest point in franchise history is slitting He-Man's throat. Okay, to be fair, I don't have all the context there either, but as much as I've seen interesting diversions coming from the DC Comics, its gritty, depressing world is what really betrays Masters of the Universe. I'm not saying Filmation is the baseline, but no other version of He-Man has been so violent and cynical.

Back to the main topic though, I'd like to see more of this minicomic in detail. The quick preview is nice, but it's probably all I'm going to get. I only own one of them.
    The DC comic at least had He-Man return in the next few pages, he didn't actually die. The Castle Grayskull was rebuilt (kind of). The only characters that actually died is Randor and the Sorceress, who did die in the Classic story too. But if we want to talk about a really depressing and gritty Canon, the Classic one has no equals. The list of the characters that die through the mini comics and the bios has no end. Entire races have been wiped out with genocidal approachies (see Snake Men), entire factions don't exist anymore (see the Horde) or have been decimated (see the Heroic and the Evil Warriors). We have testimonied macabre scenes (remember Skeletor having Flogg's floating head around as a trophy, or for what else sick reason). Major characters like Duncan have been killed in cold blood. And i' m afraid that Teela is going to be next alongside with the Castle. So which is the most depressing, between the two DC or Classics?

The DC comic at least has a good story now. Yes it's darker than the Filmation cartoon, since it's made for an adult readership, but is epic, has a good storytelling, and Dan Abnett gave at He-Man more character and personality, than he ever had in 30 years of his existance.
    Last edited by granamyr80; February 28, 2015 at 08:46pm.

I remember one poster saying that in his canon, nobody ever dies, nobody ever wins, and "the battle continues for all eternity!" And he was presenting it as a really positive thing...

...But daaaaaaaaammmmmn, "The battle continues for all eternity" sounds more like Hell than the version where lots of characters die, but good wins out in the end.

So is that shot of CG blowing up part of why Mattel nixed the original plan behind Fall of Eternia? They hadn't made the playset yet when Scott pitched the story, maybe they thought it was too soon?

I really strongly dislike Dare being Gray/Ro and both He-Ro's being the same person because for one I hate those time loop plots and for another I don't at all fancy He-Man (or She-Ra's) son already having a death scene and He-Man not even knowing he'd died in the same comic.

I have a feeling the end of this will be some kind of cosmic reset button that restores everything to the traditional scenario of He-Man vs Skeletor in front of Castle Grayskull. That'd certainly please the most fans (aside from people who just hate that we wasted time with a bunch of dead end plot twists that all had to be reset anyway).
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I have a feeling the end of this will be some kind of cosmic reset button that restores everything to the traditional scenario of He-Man vs Skeletor in front of Castle Grayskull. That'd certainly please the most fans (aside from people who just hate that we wasted time with a bunch of dead end plot twists that all had to be reset anyway).
    That's kind of my thoughts. I said it on Facebook, but I have a feeling the final panel of the last mini-comic is going to show us Oo-Larr waving good bye to his jungle tribe and the 80's mini-comics will take over from there.

Dare being both versions of He-Ro is an alarming possibility.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    but I have a feeling the final panel of the last mini-comic is going to show us Oo-Larr waving good bye to his jungle tribe and the 80's mini-comics will take over from there.
    PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!!!! Let's give Oo-Larr a second chance. I will buy the next moment 20 subs!

Heroic Warrior
    I find it all at once hilarious and puzzling how there can be such outrage over the storylines in a corner of the MOTUverse that people are already constantly saying they're ignoring.

"I don't pay attention to the bios or Scott's story. In MY canon, they -- wait, Scott blew up Grayskull? HOW DARE HE!!!!"
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Karg, Andros, Monstroid, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    I find it all at once hilarious and puzzling how there can be such outrage over the storylines in a corner of the MOTUverse that people are already constantly saying they're ignoring.

"I don't pay attention to the bios or Scott's story. In MY canon, they -- wait, Scott blew up Grayskull? HOW DARE HE!!!!"
    I understand that each on of us, has its own canon, but since the Classic Canon is an official story (this is hard to be denied, otherwise why Mattel pubblishing these mini comics in the first place), it would be a better, if could have been a bit more attention with the writting of these comics and bios.

And personally at this point i' m concerned more about Teela being in the Castle in the moment of the explosion, than the Castle itself.