Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Are minis not for you?

Are minis not for you?

He-fans and org members,

A bit of a check in. We're half way through the 2014 minis program. Everyone on the team loves this line, and we really want it to keep going. And from the online feedback it appears most folks who buy em love em!

Currently, the packs are selling a little below expectations. If you are passing on these, curious why? Is 6" eating up your budget? Is the price too high?

One thing we are looking into if we continue in 2015 is removing a potential diorama piece to get the price under 20.00. But not sure if that will even work.

Love to know everyone's thoughts on why you might be passing on these or what changes we might be able to make to the minis to peak more interest.

We have a 2015 line in mind, but unless sales pick up, we may not be able to reach it.

So let us know what you have to say! What else could make minis appeal to you?

I love them
    Price is not bad but shipping kills it.
    I am ok with a diorama, if a sub option existed it makes it easier to swallow

I like minifigures (like MUSCLE, ****, MWOTR) but it's because those guys are pretty inexpensive and they work with other mini lines. If these guys were closer to those lines I'd absolutely bite, but these are just kind of in a scale of their own. I'm also way too invested in creating a huge MOTUC roster rather than delving into a new scale at this point.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    $20 is really expensive for two little guys.

I just ordered my first pack the other day, as I really like the Scareglow and Stratos combo. I haven't received them yet, but I have little interest in the diorama. If that can be cut to make these much less expensive, I may be open to other figures.

However, maybe a mini-vehicle would be better than a playset to build? It would be cool to have a mini Roton or Landshark to build.

So far, the only other mini-figures that appealed to me were Mer-Man and Moss Man. I just could not justify $20 plus tax and shipping for just one mini-figure I wanted in each pack. I personally have no interest in the next Faker and Man-At-Arms pack. Hope a later pack has two figures I want again.

Most of us prefer MOTUC. Why can't some of this money be put towards MOTUC Stridor, Roton, Battle Ram, etc?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    Personally, nothing could make the mini figures appeal to me.

My limited toy collecting budget almost solely goes towards the 6" MOTUC action figures. And, in general, my "toy collection" is limited to 6-7" action figures, so the scale of the mini figures was never going to appeal to me.

If I came across the mini figures in a local store (i.e. without having to incur the cost of international shipping), then I might pick them up. But, I'm not going to prioritise collecting the mini figures when there are still so many MOTUC action figures to buy, especially with the awesome Club Etheria mini-sub which starts in July 2014!

P.S. Speaking of mini figures, there are TWO that appeal to me, but I can't buy them - Filmation Kowl and Loo-Kee!

Here's what I said in the other thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    If Mattel offers these again, like during Cyber Monday and I can buy them all at once, I might buy the whole set.

I'll repeat what I said a few months ago. It makes no sense that Mattel didn't offer a sub for these so they could have been combined and shipped with our MOTUC subs. Mattel seriously dropped the ball here.
    I think it's ludicrous that Mattel expects me to pay extra every month in shipping costs when these are available. I've already committed to a 12 month sub and 6 month mini-sub. Why not another sub? This month wouldn't have been so bad since I picked up Ice and Black Manta but the other months it just wasn't worth it.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm just not into collecting Masters in a different scale, no matter how cool they are. The MAA/Faker pack is going to be hard to resist, but I haven't caved thus far. Like others have said, I'd prefer the funds used to make the minis go towards MOTUC.

I only own the SDCC set, I wouldn't want to get into the new scale unless I knew I could get a standard He-Man and Skeletor.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

For me...I am just not interested in the mini's . I do not like them at all hence I do not buy them. I wouldn't buy them even if they were the only MOTU item on the market and I love MOTU.

They are too expensive, and Classics are eating up my budget. A part of why I hate the way MOTU is being managed is that there are WAY too many things coming at once. Just keeping up with Classics is difficult, and I thank Go that I don't want the POP vinyl figures, these min's, the new Filmation based statues, the Greyskull/Snakemountain statues, etc. Who exactly do you expect to be able to keep up with all of this? Are CEO's your target audience? I don't get the logic. Like I said, I thank God that I have no interest in any other MOTU related products out right now beyond Classics, and that's no easy load to bear. And you're talking about a $70-100 giant figure line. *shakes head, walks away*

EDIT

I will also remind you that many members of the fan base have kids, and other financial responsibilities. The franchise almost seems to be a re-telling of that moment from childhood, the one where the rich kids not only have the toys, but they also have that lack of a concept of money, that adds insult to injury. Timing is what I recommend. Pace yourself. It really feels like you're just trying to make as much as you'd like to see while you have the helm, and in doing so your breaking the backs of fans who want to keep up with it all. Like I said, I have no interest in non-MOTUC items, but if I wanted all of the merchandise currently being pumped, I'd be pretty annoyed with Mattel right now. I know that you license out the brand for the statues and other items, but you can also pull the reins a bit I suspect. My point is, you shouldn't be surprised when items this size, at this price aren't selling as you'd like. I really hate that this all sounds so pointed, but I think the companies greatest fumble with this franchise is it's oversaturation of the market, and it's why I hate the way the late part of the year is such a heavy flow of merchandise for MOTUC. Many fans do not have the means to easily keep up, and some simply cannot at all.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    Scott - Thanks for checking with us on the org!!! I am a BIG fan of the minis!! I also like the diorama concept!! A Snake Mountain would be REALLY cool in this line!!

I think that if the mini's were offered as an "add on" subscription to classics, that it would sell MUCH better than it currently is. Combining shipping charges would make these sets a lot more affordable and would make the price point much more reasonable for collectors.

Fingers crossed for the continuation of this extremely fun format for MOTU collecting!!!!!!!!! LONG LIVE THE MINI's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by yodafreakmaster View Post
    Scott - Thanks for checking with us on the org!!! I am a BIG fan of the minis!! I also like the diorama concept!! A Snake Mountain would be REALLY cool in this line!!

I think that if the mini's were offered as an "add on" subscription to classics, that it would sell MUCH better than it currently is. Combining shipping charges would make these sets a lot more affordable and would make the price point much more reasonable for collectors.

Fingers crossed for the continuation of this extremely fun format for MOTU collecting!!!!!!!!! LONG LIVE THE MINI's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Agreed, please combine the shipping! I like them a lot and the price is OK but like others have said, the shipping is overkill. Waiting on the Teela vs Evil Lyn minis!
    Psalm 18:32 - "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."

I just bought my first set of minis this month Scareglow and Stratos, the shipping cost is a problem. It would be nice to have the option to combine shipping with my sub, the scaling down of the minis also put me off to begin with after purchasing last years SDCC minis. It would also be nice if Mattel learnt how to pack a shipment, without damaging figures every month. A piece of thin brown paper jammed in the top of the box protects nothing I dont pay for a sub and express shipping to receive damaged goods every month.

I skipped on all of them becaus of the scale difference with the sdcc set. These are just too small. If hey had been he same size as the original He-Man and Skeletor, I would have bought more. And don't give my that nonsense about the SDCC being he 'Game sku', this scale change was just a way to save money...

Sorry to say, but the size reduction, the $20 price tag and the overpriced international shipping is just too much for these little guys. I've only picked up the Scare Glow pack and will probably wait to see if the other packs re-appear and go on sale before I spend more money on these guys. Close to $200 for the entire set is overkill as an international customer.

I'd rather take that money and spend it on a big ticket item like a Granamyr sized Tyrantisaurus Rex.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Heroic Warrior Ben Solstice-Moon's Avatar
    I love the minis! The wife is the one who is collecting them, and loves the Grayskull facade, so I keep ordering them for her. Any you make we will buy. But... SHIPPING IS AN ISSUE. My wife and I were discussing it, and we hope there's a Snake Mountain next year... but how about a subscription?

I love the minis but have not bought them simply due to price and shipping in addition to my MOTUC subs. Can't pay for it all. If the packs cost a total of $20 after shipping I might do it.

But since we're talking about minis, let me make a plea for MOTU in the Imaginext line-up. As a father and uncle of children that love Imaginext and Playskool Heroes, I can tell you that kids I know would eat Imaginext MOTU up. My 3 year old nephew recognized He-Man and Skeletor right away on the t-shirt I wore to his b-day party but had to settle for Star Wars Playskool toys for a gift.

So please MOTU for Imaginext!

two major reasons why i don't get them.
    1. the reduced size compare to the SDCC set.
    2. the price plus shipping are too high for two small figures.

Heroic Warrior
    Thank you for asking, but the minis are just not my cup of tea. You and your people have revitalized my love for the MOTU universe with your Classics line- that is where I prefer to spend my collecting dollars! Please, keep Classics coming!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I like them a lot, but the price kills them instantly for me. Maybe they can be reduced in packaging and accessories?

No Diorama or build a castle, just two figures in a simple polybag and branded card like the pic below?

photo polybag_zpsc4730faa.png

Could this be done for $25 total base cost (approx $6.99 per figure+ $10 shipping domestically)?

It's also tough for the minis to compete with all the great 6" MOTUC product we see in 2014, and potentially 2015. People have to choose carefully between spending on a 6" MOTUC or a limited selection of minifigs.

I see the minis as being more successful if there are less 6" figures...like for example if 2016 goes to a "One Figure per month" model. There wouldn't be the onslaught of 6" product to steal the thunder of the minis.

SIDE NOTE: maybe a cool feature would be to design future minis separate and plug-in at the waist, so you can mix and match upper body parts with other minis?

They are pricey. Shipping is half of what the minis cost. They're smaller than the originals & less articulation. Back to the basics. Vintage packaging....mini comics.....ect ect

Thank you for asking us for feedback Toyguru!

Last week I sold the mini sets I already purchased and stopped buying them.

If you are passing on these, curious why?
    1. I'm not a fan of the exaggerated facial expressions. Fox example, Skeletor has an odd under bite, and Moss Man has an ape face.
    2. They are smaller than originally expected. Too small. The detail is lost.
    3. There is no shelf space left. I've sold all of my other toys to make room for more Classics.
    4. The diorama pieces are unnecessary and drive up the cost. I never complain about price. That said, what we're getting in the mini line is not worth the money, especially considering these have to be $hipped.
    Last edited by AdultCollector; June 19, 2014 at 08:20am.

Too expensive. I suggest combining them all in one massive pack to keep shipping costs down.

I like the mini-vehicle idea.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Sorry TG, but I do not like the minis. I buy all of the MOTUC pieces, but I have continued to pass on these. They just are not for me. I would much rather see the resources used for more MOTUC---SoH, 200x, New 52 etc. I continue to support POP + NA because of all the POP folks have been supporting my vintage and Filmation for years...but unfortunately, I do not feel the same way about the minis.
    Its a long time time to wait for Electroid Love---AREMESH in 2016!