February 16, 2009, 01:13am
Answers to WTFWTK 2.12!
Toyguru has once again provided answers to your questions.
Check out his answers to your Round 12 questions!
1. It was previously said that Mattel would start making use of the newsleter on Matty Collector. But so far, most of the recent news updates have been posted on Matty's facebook account. Wouldn't it be better to not only post the news on Facebook, but to also send the news via the newsletter on Matty Collector as well as send the news out to all fan/toy sites, or at least to He-Man.org, to maximize Mattel's informative reach?
We are working on getting Matty’s Newsletter going and will continue to use both Facebook and fan site posts to get news out. One of the great things about the Facebook page is that fans tend to re-post any announcements from this site onto other fan boards, so it really helps us get the word out rather then only posting news on just one fan site which may not be on everyone’s radar.
2. Who specifically is responsible for creating/writing the bios shown on the back of the MOTUC packaging and what all goes into creating a bio (details please; inquiring minds want to know!)?
The bios are written by members of the MOTUC packaging and marketing team at Mattel who have VERY thoroughly researched the line. We have access to a lot of early scripts and concept work as well as all of the original toys and artwork. The members of our staff who work on the bios are huge fans of MOTU (such as Toy Guru and others) and we are very proud of the concepts they are including in the bios as a way to sum up a lot of otherwise contradicting stories. We also share the bios with the Four Horsemen as they move forward with sculpting to get there thoughts as well.
We do have a long term plan for the bios and have thought them out very far in advance. Stay tuned, we think you will love where we are going with them!
3. Demo-Man has been a controversial character, mostly because of his name and because he wasn't part of the existing MOTU lore known by the public. Has Mattel given thought to modifying his info any further to increase favorable opinion of the character, or at least change his name so it reads more like "demon" which the name is supposed to imply?
The name is actually pronounced “Dee-Mo Man” so it does have a bit of a demon ring to it. (which is exactly as it was intended when it was proposed as Skeletor’s name in 1980!) We know fans are a bit polarized either loving or not liking the name. But we feel it fits in perfectly into a universe populated by characters named Ram Man, Mer-Man and He-Man and it pays homage to the original creation of Skeletor.
4. Is there any update on re-releasing King Grayskull?
As announced at NYCC, we will look at brining him back as a single carded figure if sales justify double figures in some months. When and if we do we will change him up a bit such as a new cape color or perhaps battle damage to help preserve the collectablity of the original SDCC exclusive.
5. The original toys, mini-comics and MYP cartoon have all been confirmed as character sources for MOTUC, while the classic cartoons have been ruled off-limits.
But there is a variety of other character/story sources (eg: Golden & Ladybird books, Marvel/STAR comics, etc).
Are these also unavailable for use, and if so what are the actual legal reasons this material can't be used as it was originally created for Mattel Licensing?
The Marvel and Star comics are not something we have access to at this time.
6. Will the packaging for 2002, NA and/or POP characters be different than the current MOTUC figures?
All of the figures in MOTUC will have the same package, but certain teams such as th4e Horde, Snake Men and POP will get stickers on the blister to identify them as being from a certain sub segment of the brand.
7. What is the status on the "coffee table book", and if it's moving forward will it include previously unknown archival info like we saw with Demo-Man?
This is something we are interested in, but right now our team has there hands full churning out all of the great figures each month.
8. Now that Mattel has MOTUC figures in production, which happen to include a number of the weapons that helped make up the original '80s accessory pack, is there any update on the possibility of releasing a MOTUC weapons pack?
It is more likely we will include these weapons as additional weapons with figures. Man At Arms comes with both a pistol and a knife from the weapons pack.
9. It appears that the paint app consistency has varied on the three figures released to-date.
For example, both He-Man and Skeletor seem to have two different paint apps on their faces. A glossy finish version and a more matte finish version. Why is this?
There is only one paint master for all of the figures. Each figure is painted by hand so what you are seeing here are subtle differences and human error.
10. It doesn't seem fair to fans outside the USA to have to pay twice for international shipping (to receive and then to return) for something that was Mattel's fault. Will Mattel provide a free-international-return-shipping for figures that are faulty or sent with/in error?
We are activly working on ways to improve this as we move forward with customers service and Digital River distribution. We are also looking into setting up an online email customers service options as well. Stay tuned.
Click here to ask questions in Round 14!
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 1.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 2.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 3.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 4.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 5.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 6.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 7.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 8.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 9.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 10.
Click here to read the responses to the questions from Round 11.
And, have fun discussing Toy Guru's answers to your Round 12 questions!
Last edited by TheShadow; February 18, 2009 at 07:14pm.