Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.12!

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Okay, why does Mattel keep giving answers that confuse me? As far as I know, mass produced figures aren't, for the most part, painted by hand (the last major action figure line I can attest had hand painted pieces was Captain Action). Paint masks are used for details. Now, I'm not sure exactly the process involved in things like washes or airbrushing, but even that isn't really hand painting, even if it isn't done by machine. As for the matte versus shiny finish, it's likely just whatever paint was available at the factory at that particular time.

A minor point, to be sure; I'm just mostly curious about the process here, which I thought I had a pretty good handle on. Am I mistaken?
    That answer surprised me, too. I didn't realize any toys that were mass produced were painted by hand. My guess is Toyguru meant it in some other sense than what I'm envisioning.

Some interesting tidbits... Thanks!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 9.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Okay, why does Mattel keep giving answers that confuse me? As far as I know, mass produced figures aren't, for the most part, painted by hand (the last major action figure line I can attest had hand painted pieces was Captain Action). Paint masks are used for details. Now, I'm not sure exactly the process involved in things like washes or airbrushing, but even that isn't really hand painting, even if it isn't done by machine. As for the matte versus shiny finish, it's likely just whatever paint was available at the factory at that particular time.

A minor point, to be sure; I'm just mostly curious about the process here, which I thought I had a pretty good handle on. Am I mistaken?
    Every figure Mattel makes is painted by hand. Works of art huh? Even the Die Cast CARs are painted by hand. Sure there are some tampo prints (like Sinestro's seal on his shoulder in the DCUC line) but most paint ops are all done by hand.

Like Toyguru said, most of the details on many many toys are hand-painted.

Creating and setting up an mechanical assembly line to automatically paint such intricate details on stuff that isn't produced in the millions of units would cost a fortune!

But obviously there's some kind of process involved other than just some guys/gals in some building with a paintbrush and some paint, right?

Take an eye, for example. On He-Man, there's white, blue, black, and brown. The brown borders the white, which has a thin black layer surrounding the blue, which has black within it and a white speck somewhere, too. Now how does someone painting by hand pull that off?

Like scott metzger said, it has more to do with masks, which block off areas while exposing others for paint.
    They just plop them over the area they fit, and paint away or airbrush it on.

The 4H could explain the process really well.
    There are probably customizers here who are also familiar with how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Like scott metzger said, it has more to do with masks, which block off areas while exposing others for paint.
    They just plop them over the area they fit, and paint away or airbrush it on.

The 4H could explain the process really well.
    There are probably customizers here who are also familiar with how it works.
    That explains it well enough right there.

I assumed that's how it was done, but I didn't want to assume too much since I'd already assumed they were painted by a machine.