View Poll Results: What would your ideal tone for the new movie be and why?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gritty/Dark/Epic-Battles

29 54.72%
  • Kids/Fairytale Story

2 3.77%
  • Super-Hero/Comic-Book Story

17 32.08%
  • Soft-Action/Cheesy-Humour Story

0 0%
  • All of the above

1 1.89%
  • None/Other - please post suggestions/reasons

4 7.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would your ideal tone for the new movie be and why?

What would your ideal tone for the new movie be and why?

I was thinking about the new movie and all the topics we've discussed, and I wondered well, what would your ideal tone and feel for the movie be?

I understand that it could potentially include all of the choices I listed, plus any other ones people would like to suggest that I didn't include ...

Choose wisely and remember to post your answers and comments!

Cheers
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    The ideal tone for the movie IMO would be ensuring that at every step of the way, the audience feels like they are in Eternia at all times.

This means no anachronisms, no "Whoa! Cool sword!" type dialogue, and no obvious aping of other fantasy films in terms of photography, design, staging, etc. It should be its own unique experience, and to that end they should avoid watering down or muting the character designs as much as possible.

MotU is already as unique as anything, but if you have idiots who don't "get" what MotU is about working on this project, then you start to creep into modes of thinking where the X-Men wouldn't wear silly costumes "in real life" so give 'em all black leather.

Not saying I think that was a terrible idea for X-Men, but that type of thinking has NO PLACE in MotU.
    MotU is pure fantasy . . . we don't need in-depth explanations about how the Attak Trak works, or how the Sorceress' costume isn't practical enough for flight so let's redesign it.

Don't try to make MotU "realistic".
    Don't mute the vivid colors that make Eternia so alive and each character look so iconic.
    Man-At-Arms has orange armor. Stratos has bright red wings. Skeletor has blue skin. Deal with it.

To address the specifics in the poll options, I guess I'd like to maybe see a mix of all of those to a point, but I chose "Superhero" just because I think above all a MotU movie needs to be FUN and ENTERTAINING.

It shouldn't take itself too seriously, it shouldn't be dark and brooding, and it shouldn't be overly violent with senseless character deaths.

The problem with fans who want a more "mature" or "gritty" take on MotU is that IMO they are selling the character designs short.
    Almost more than any other property in history, with MotU the characters are so iconic, they are so archetypal in nature, that you can almost immediately pick out who is good and who is bad, and what their powers and abilities are just by looking at them.

Not only does this make these characters PERFECT for the film medium (where one fundamental is conveying the most amount of information in the least amount of time) but it means that if your lead villain is a blue-skinned demonic evil sorcerer with a freakin' SKULL for a head, you don't need to artificially make that "dark".

When you have a stitched-together mechanized Frankenstein's monster with a metal jaw, you don't need to do much besides just SHOW Trap-Jaw to convey that he's someone you shouldn't mess with.

IMO, the wish for such a "gritty" version of MotU is mostly a knee-jerk response to the campiness of Filmation, and I would add feeling self-conscious that in its more pure form, MotU would not be accepted by mainstream movie-goers without any efforts to try and make it "cool".

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    The ideal tone for the movie IMO would be ensuring that at every step of the way, the audience feels like they are in Eternia at all times.

This means no anachronisms, no "Whoa! Cool sword!" type dialogue, and no obvious aping of other fantasy films in terms of photography, design, staging, etc. It should be its own unique experience, and to that end they should avoid watering down or muting the character designs as much as possible.

MotU is already as unique as anything, but if you have idiots who don't "get" what MotU is about working on this project, then you start to creep into modes of thinking where the X-Men wouldn't wear silly costumes "in real life" so give 'em all black leather.

Not saying I think that was a terrible idea for X-Men, but that type of thinking has NO PLACE in MotU.
    MotU is pure fantasy . . . we don't need in-depth explanations about how the Attak Trak works, or how the Sorceress' costume isn't practical enough for flight so let's redesign it.

Don't mute the vivid colors that make Eternia so alive and each character look so iconic.
    Man-At-Arms has orange armor. Stratos has bright red wings. Skeletor has blue skin. Deal with it.

To address the specifics in the poll options, I guess I'd like to maybe see a mix of all of those to a point, but I chose "Superhero" just because I think above all a MotU movie needs to be FUN and ENTERTAINING.

It shouldn't take itself too seriously, it shouldn't be dark and brooding, and it shouldn't be overly violent with senseless character deaths.

The problem with fans who want a more "mature" or "gritty" take on MotU is that IMO they are selling the character designs short.
    Almost more than any other property in history, with MotU the characters are so iconic, they are so archetypal in nature, that you can almost immediately pick out who is good and who is bad, and what their powers and abilities are just by looking at them.

Not only does this make these characters PERFECT for the film medium (where one fundamental is conveying the most amount of information in the least amount of time) but it means that if your lead villain is a blue-skinned demonic evil sorcerer with a freakin' SKULL for a head, you don't need to artificially make that "dark".

When you have a stitched-together mechanized Frankenstein's monster with a metal jaw, you don't need to do much besides just SHOW Trap-Jaw to convey that he's someone you shouldn't mess with.

IMO, the wish for such a "gritty" version of MotU is mostly a knee-jerk response to the campiness of Filmation, and I would add feeling self-conscious that in its more pure form, MotU would not be accepted by mainstream movie-goers without any efforts to try and make it "cool".

Great post.

I agree with you on the dialouge. I don't want any of the characters using words like 'whoa' or 'cool' or 'sweet', unless they're describing viridian berry juice as tasting sweet.

Now as for the character designs, that's going to be a tough one. I'm all for change, but only where change is warrented. I would like the colors to be muted (only slightly), and alterations kept to a minimal. Trap-Jaw is a perfect example. His colors would have to be muted, however with the right prosthetic, animatronics and actor underneath, he will be menacing without any major overhaul. I don't want CGI. God do I NOT want CGI on any of the main characterrs. I would only take CGI when doing exotic animals.

I hope at some point in the movie there is an establishing shot which showcases some unusual animals. I hope this movie creates a great escape.

I went with the Kids/Fairytale option. That doesn't mean it can't be dark, as plenty of books & films aimed at kids have their fair share of scary scenes, but MOTU has always been aimed primarily at children and that shouldn't change.

In many ways the Star Wars films are like fairytales; you have a princess to be rescued, a wizard, sword fights, and magic (the Force).

The Empire Strikes Back has the sort of tone i'd want for a MOTU film- dark, but not Lord of the Rings dark. (which is why I didn't select the Dark/Gritty/Epic option)

Heroic Warrior
    Hard to pick any of those, but I really hope MOTU movie takes same route as Lotr movies, I think balance of darkness, humor, romance and violence were perfect.

Great post.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

We all know Filmation had more than its share of cringeworthy moments.

At the same time, we are doing ourselves no favors by swinging the pendulum too far in the opposite direction (As much certain people on this board would love to see MOTU become the Second Coming of LOTR, MOTU is its own animal. It lives in its own universe.)

Need I remind everyone that the primary purpose of MOTU was/is to sell TOYS? Whatever this film does, it has to appeal to children at some level.

Parents refused to buy their children toys related to "The Dark Knight." If we make this film too dark and/or intense, MOTU risks having history repeat itself (Much to Mattel's chagrin.)
    Last edited by Mirage; March 1, 2009 at 10:47am.

Heroic Warrior
    Well I think that Mattel should keep this live action movie separate from selling toys, I mean cartoons for selling toys, and this movie to extend fanbase also to adults. When I say they should go route Lotr went, I'm talking about that overall tone, balance of all things and especially the HEART, that's what made Lotr so special in my eyes. Of course they should not try to replicate Lotr in storywise or in desing, Motu has so much originality and great characters, that it has potential to become next star wars/lotr.

Quote Originally Posted by wasted View Post
    Well I think that Mattel should keep this live action movie separate from selling toys.
    Let's face it, there will be toys based on the movie, guaranteed.
    Still not sure if i'll buy them though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    I'm all for change, but only where change is warrented. I would like the colors to be muted (only slightly), and alterations kept to a minimal. Trap-Jaw is a perfect example.
    Well, I definitely don't want him to have a bright pink helmet, but I guess what I most want to preserve are the colors themselves.
    Due to lighting and cinematography concerns, I know that you have to pick colors carefully in any movie, so yeah I guess I can see them needing to mute the values a little.

But what I DON'T want is "Oh, orange is too gaudy, so give Man-At-Arms dark green armor instead."

I don't want CGI. God do I NOT want CGI on any of the main characterrs.
    Hmm, I'm not sure about that, since Sorceress could possibly look a little silly with "real" wings.
    And I don't see how they could do Skelly without CGI.
    I would just approach it on a case-by-case basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    We all know Filmation had more than its share of cringeworthy moments.

At the same time, we are doing ourselves no favors by swinging the pendulum too far in the opposite direction (As much certain people on this board would love to see MOTU become the Second Coming of LOTR, MOTU is its own animal. It lives in its own universe.)

Need I remind everyone that the primary purpose of MOTU was/is to sell TOYS? Whatever this film does, it has to appeal to children at some level.
    Yup. But they shouldn't make the same mistake that IMO Filmation "had" to make, and that is to deviate too far from the source material in order to cater directly to young children.

It's understandable, the Filmation toon was the first of its kind, and there were already enough people decrying its existence on principle without having more true-to-source violence or menacing villains.

I mean, Skeletor is the very image of DEATH, and yet he and the other villains are reduced to Scooby Doo-esque goofs.

It's true, the right balance will be tricky to strike, but not impossible, and IMO could be achieved without deviating too much from its roots.

I chose dark and gritty but not so much a post apochalyptian barbarian (everything is gray world) like Mad Max but a real vibrant world using the style of cinamotography from films like Gladiator and Brother Hood of the Wolf.

I want to see the dark rich soil as it is kicked up by the Attak Trak i want to be immersed in the Real Mythology in this world.

Like Lay Ze-Man said although i want to feel the raw technology and barbarism i do not want it to come as sacricife of character colors. Man-at-arms has orange-ish armor and that doesn't have to come off as silly at all. Because this story is so eternal and mythological colors and imagery play just as much a role as the story.

These are not just men and monsters, these are Masters fighting for the control of the entire Universe!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    Let's face it, there will be toys based on the movie, guaranteed.
    Still not sure if i'll buy them though.
    Yes, of course, I meant that don't make movie to sell toys, make toys after movie to get more money(for sequels)

Quote Originally Posted by wasted View Post
    Yes, of course, I meant that don't make movie to sell toys, make toys after movie to get more money(for sequels)

Mattel is a TOY company.

Why else would they make the movie if not to sell toys? What would be the point of doing it otherwise?

Heroic Warrior
    I would like the movie to reflect the richness of the original box art of MotU: It had a dark feel to it, but it also had some interesting color to it as well. Also, I want to see more "vistas" of Eternia, like the back of the original He-man's card where him, MAA and Teela were out in a field. I don't want Eternia to be just a continual desert, but a living world with an incredible diversity of life. And the language needs to be appropriate as well for Eternia. I was kind of thinking the movie should be done in sort of an LOTR way, JMHO.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Mattel is a TOY company.

Why else would they make the movie if not to sell toys? What would be the point of doing it otherwise?
    Why would they make movie (well Mattel aren't people who make that movie anyways), hmm let's think about it.... maybe to make money and of course to make new approach to Motu world(of course to sell toys, collectibles, make cartoons, more movies..)

If anybody reads Skaar Son of Hulk, well that's the kind of tone I'd like for MOTU. "The Old power" = the power of Castle Grayskull sorta thing!
    Which is a bit like what early MOTU was like anyways.

So this goes under dark and gritty!

We probably won't get that and instead we'll probably get something like a cross between Narnia and the Scorpion King!
    Which won't be so bad but not what I'd call true MOTU.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

The tone of the Lord of the Rings movies is what I would like to see in a MotU movie.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Warrior
    i voted for "super hero / comic book". i was thinking something along the lines of the Hellboy movies, in terms of the visuals and humor.

i know a lot of people want an LOTR tone but i think that's really really the wrong way to go. just my opinion. but LOTR is derived from serious, gritty, epic, source material. MOTU is derived from a toy line and a kiddy cartoon series. that doesn't mean MOTU can't be reimagined.... but it's just not a natural fit. MOTU is best, in my opinion, when it retains a greater degree of lightness and humor in its tone. and you can still have a good amount of darkness and evil (e.g. hellboy) without overdoing it and trying to make MOTU into something its not.

I'd like to see a mixture of things. Like a cross between Lord of the Rings and the original Superman. Heroic and "feel-good" and some serious battle action scenes. Maybe some grittier stuff in as well. Like Dark Knight. So it would be like a "Dark Superman of the Rings" movie.
    Who has the Power?

Man, looking at these responses, no one seems to acknowledge that MOTU is Sword & Sorcery!!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Umm, doesn't that kind of go without saying?

Co-Creator of the NV
    Grim and gritty, and no that does not mean TDK. I loved TDK, but TDK is not only grim and gritty, it's depressing too.

A darkness level similar to what was found in LOTR or Willow would be ideal. So a generally serious story, not too many stupid jokes (well, Willow did have a number I suppose but i felt they were done fairly well at least) and a little situation based humor as opposed to horrid Filmation-isms is what I want to see.

As for level of graphicness, my preference is 300 level. I know it's unlikely given that they'll want to get more kids into the theatre, so in the alternative I'd be okay with it being toned down to LOTR level.

As violent as 300? No way!
    This is going to be family friendly, almost guaranteed.

This is another one where the balance will be tricky. In Filmation where He-Man only uses his sword to deflect magic beams will (if you'll excuse the pun) simply not cut it this time around.

I don't want him decapitating every other character, but c'mon, he's gotta use his sword!!!

But it should be like him going up against Trap-Jaw and chopping off his laser gun attachment, so then TJ discards what's left of it and throws on his claw attachment and keeps fighting. That sort of thing.

Co-Creator of the NV
    As violent as 300? No way!
    This is going to be family friendly, almost guaranteed.
    I never said it would be like that. I simply answered to what the ideal for me would be.

As for the level it will end up being, I really don't know. I think LOTR is probably the upper end of the violence they'd consider (also coinciding with my likely cut-off between theatre ticket and rental decision, lol), but I could see it being lower too. In any case, they'll definitely aim for it to be in the PG's.

This is another one where the balance will be tricky. In Filmation where He-Man only uses his sword to deflect magic beams will (if you'll excuse the pun) simply not cut it this time around.
    Ever notice how Filmation fights with He-Man generally devolved into a rather slow and boring game of tennis where He-Man nonchalantly knocks stuff away that is speeding towards him at the speed of an over-caffeinated snail?

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Man, looking at these responses, no one seems to acknowledge that MOTU is Sword & Sorcery!!
    Yeah but I want dark Sword & Sorcery.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I kinda want it to be along the lines of old-school stuff like Clash Of The Titans and The Beastmaster...
    I don't want He-Man splitting skulls with his battle axe or Skeletor killing Evil-Lyn mid-way through the flick for her attitude or what-not... LOL... some great action, bright vivid visuals, a huge dose of fun... I opted for the superhero/comic book vibe...