View Poll Results: What would your ideal tone for the new movie be and why?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gritty/Dark/Epic-Battles

29 54.72%
  • Kids/Fairytale Story

2 3.77%
  • Super-Hero/Comic-Book Story

17 32.08%
  • Soft-Action/Cheesy-Humour Story

0 0%
  • All of the above

1 1.89%
  • None/Other - please post suggestions/reasons

4 7.55%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would your ideal tone for the new movie be and why?

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I kinda want it to be along the lines of old-school stuff like Clash Of The Titans and The Beastmaster...
    I don't want He-Man splitting skulls with his battle axe or Skeletor killing Evil-Lyn mid-way through the flick for her attitude or what-not... LOL... some great action, bright vivid visuals, a huge dose of fun... I opted for the superhero/comic book vibe...
    I'm a HUGE Harryhausen fan, so yeah I completely agree that vibe should be part of the inspiration.
    Even today, you go back and watch those movies, like 7th Voyage of Sinbad, and the sense of magic, fun and wonderment is fully intact.

He-Man needs to have at least a little bit of that old-school swashbuckler hero quality.

Not to the point of being cheesy, but if the filmmakers are too scared to let him smile every now and again, and He-Man is grimaced and scowling the length of the movie, it will get a thumbs down from me.

I voted for comic-book/superhero movie. IMO, that's the ideal tone they should be going for. I don't agree with all this grittiness = better movie. Not all the time. If every film was like The Dark Knight, summer at the cinema would become quite a depressing affair. Although, I do want Eternia to feel lived-in, not like a perfect fairy-tale kingdom. I would like them to go down the same route that Peter Jackson went down with Middle-Earth. It was still a fantastical land, but it felt real, too.

In terms of the actual mood and tone of the film I was thinking something along the lines of Iron-Man. It had its lighter moments, it had plenty of action and adventure, but when it wanted to it could get pretty dark and intense (particularly towards the end). Also, I think Willow would be another good example of the kind of tone I think the new movie should have.

So far our list of movies for reference goes like:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
    Gladiator
    Brotherhood of the Wolf
    The Chronicles of Narnia
    The Scorpion King
    Superman
    Willow
    Clash of the Titans
    The Beastmaster
    The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
    Iron Man

That's not actually a bad list IMO.

Man, I love Willow.

I voted Superhero/Comic Book. I want the movie to encapsulate all the fun, magic, and adventure that He-Man represents for me. It should be something families can go see together, something teenagers go to see, and something that fanboys take their girlfriends to only to find that they both love it! It should be wholesome and funny, but have elements of comic-book menace and fear.

Movies that I would say have the appropriate feel are Star Wars (take your pick), Indiana Jones, Sider-Man (more 1&2 than 3, but OK), Superman (any of the good ones), Willow, ET, Jurassic Park, and the Pirates of the Caribbean. People should go see it and not be able to recall having so much fun at the movies! It should cure all that is wrong with America, the world, nay...the Universe!

...and sell some toys in the process.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

What influence could possibly be gained from watching Williow?

My list of movies to reference would be:
    300 - for post production
    Chronicles of Riddick - for scale and costume design
    Hellboy II - for how you do awesome prostetics
    Watchmen - for making stuff look seriously cool
    Scorpion King - because it's modern sword & sorcery that works
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

I voted for all of the above, as MOTU is and has been all of these things at one time or another. I want it to be girtty and dark and made for adults, but not so much so that it couldn't pick up the kids along the way. I am well up for the right kind of comedic relief in the film (just so long as it is done well). I really want to see these characters display the powers and skills we have seen in many other standard comic movies but with their own edge. Fairytales are strong stories that have survived for longer than we can remember, there is something in them that allows for these stories to be told and re-told & re-imagined in many different ways. I suppose MOTU is a fairytale, but a fairytale for 20-40 year olds. If WB place this film somewhere between the style of 300, LOTR, Matrix & DC Darknight (IMO) they wont go far wrong! I also like a number of Eamon's influances as well!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

http://www.he-man.org/site_sects/spe...ap_index.shtml

Take a look at this map ... most everybody will be familiar with it, but it serves as a reminder of some of the possible locations in which our new movie will be played out ... remind yourself of the MOTU mythology and the vast terrains and oceans in which the magic of MOTU is embedded ...

For me, the directors must use this map as an irreplaceable blue-print for location and setting design inspiration - it is within this land that our ideal tones will be re-inacted ... let's hope! ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

That's an excellent point.

The color palettes, mood, and specific feel will change from scene to scene, based on the locations.

In the first film, however, I wouldn't go overboard on the locations.
    ie. jungle, forest, swamp, underwater, volcanic terrain, snow, space, etc.

If they just focus on getting Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, and the Palace right, they'll already have their work more than cut out for them.

I voted Dark n' Gritty, but more importantly, EPIC.

Not that I want 300 or The Dark Knight.
    Not even as intense as LotR got at times.

Something in between LotR and Narnia Chronicles.
    Something I could take my kids to, but I don't need the bright colors of the toys n' toons.
    I'd love some smart art direction, something in tune with what MotU has been, but has a good vision for what it could be in a new telling which is what the movie will be.
    It's not going to be MYP, it's not going to be Filmation, it's not going to be the 1987 movie.

New designs can form new acceptable looks on our old icons, of that I'm sure if we can just keep an open mind on things.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    As violent as 300? No way!
    This is going to be family friendly, almost guaranteed.
    LOL!
    Randor: "THIS is Eternia!!!" And boots Mer-Man down a pit.

This is another one where the balance will be tricky. In Filmation where He-Man only uses his sword to deflect magic beams will (if you'll excuse the pun) simply not cut it this time around.

I don't want him decapitating every other character, but c'mon, he's gotta use his sword!!!

But it should be like him going up against Trap-Jaw and chopping off his laser gun attachment, so then TJ discards what's left of it and throws on his claw attachment and keeps fighting. That sort of thing.
    In the Texiera comics, He-Man routinely slew monsters and demons. He shouldn't be bloodthirsty, but definitely someone you don't want to mess with. And he should definitely have a sense of scale and show mercy to those who plead for it. But in the heat of battle?

WUNK!

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I voted Dark n' Gritty, but more importantly, EPIC.

Not that I want 300 or The Dark Knight.
    Not even as intense as LotR got at times.

Something in between LotR and Narnia Chronicles.
    Something I could take my kids to, but I don't need the bright colors of the toys n' toons.
    I'd love some smart art direction, something in tune with what MotU has been, but has a good vision for what it could be in a new telling which is what the movie will be.
    It's not going to be MYP, it's not going to be Filmation, it's not going to be the 1987 movie.

New designs can form new acceptable looks on our old icons, of that I'm sure if we can just keep an open mind on things.
    I dunno...I would want MOTU to be an adult fairy tale, like LOTR. Too magical like Narnia and Neverending Story and it skews toward children. I'd say even Clash of the Titans is another good inspiration. It was definitely magical, but more mythical than fairy tale. I'd want MOTU to be as physically intense as 300, but without all the gore. We don't need to see guts all over the place.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; March 4, 2009 at 10:47am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

The Narnia films had some nice effects but there were very dull movies.

MOTU need not look to those fore inspiration.

300 violence was very superficial and stylised.
    The most graphic thing in 300 was the sex scene.
    I dare say it would've gotten a 12 cert without that scene in.
    And I can't imagine a sex scene in MOTU!

We got a barbarian with a bix axe on a big cat and the main villian is a living skull.

There's only so much toning down you can do with that sort of subject matter on film.
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    The Narnia films had some nice effects but there were very dull movies.
    Agreed 100%.

300 violence was very superficial and stylised.
    The most graphic thing in 300 was the sex scene.
    I dare say it would've gotten a 12 cert without that scene in.
    Doubtful in the U.S. that even without the sex scene it could've got anything less than an R rating.
    Are you forgetting the "pretty" blood floating in nice rivulets in slow motion?

That was about as bloody a movie as you could have!
    And while the violence was glorified, it wasn't tongue-in-cheek like Dead Alive/Braindead or something.

And I can't imagine a sex scene in MOTU!
    Well I can definitely imagine one, but I doubt this movie will have one.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I've got a movie that you can add...at least for the magical fantasy world feel...

THE DARK CRYSTAL.

That flick was made in way back in '82, but no time during the movie did I think the movie was shot in New Zealand (most fantasy movies today) or something. For a mere fraction of the costs of most movies today, it actually looked like a fantasy world that wasn't an analogue for Earth. A perfect fantasy world.

And for action, the Conan movies...particularly Conan the Destroyer-like violence if we are talking PG-13.

"Give us the girl or we'll kill her!"
    "Enough talk!"

LOL@a He-Man/Teela love scene. If it were based on the Texiera comics, I could totally see it...He was flirting with Teela in the Tri-Klops mini-comic...
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; March 4, 2009 at 07:21pm.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I've got a movie that you can add...at least for the magical fantasy world feel...

THE DARK CRYSTAL.

That flick was made in way back in '82, but no time during the movie did I think the movie was shot in New Zealand (most fantasy movies today) or something. For a mere fraction of the costs of most movies today, it actually looked like a fantasy world that wasn't an analogue for Earth. A perfect fantasy world.
    It's not added as the MOTU director also worked on Dark Crystal!
    www.eamonart.com

Court Magician Raider of Shadows's Avatar
    Comic book superheros can be grim and gritty too can't they? It feels like the best tone for the movie would be half way between those too. There are certain elements about MotU world that don't need to be excessively dark but I almost always enjoy a grim/gritty story.

I'd guess a step or maybe 2 up from MYP would be a decent way to proceed. But not too much more.
    -Finding Nemo Auditions-
    Hordak of Despondos reading for the part of Dori the Fish, Take 1:

*AHEM* I shall call him squishy and he...will be MINE!

Heroic Warrior
    I would like the movie to have a narnia feeling to it

Quote Originally Posted by Hordack View Post

And have a completely bland and badly acted MOTU movie? No thanks.
    We got that in 1987.
    Time for something, ya know, good.

Besides Narnia are christian fairy tales.
    I don't want MOTU affiliated with any religion nor do I want a fairy tale.
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hordack View Post
    I know Eamon's not wild about it, but I actually wouldn't mind this either.

And by asking for a Narnia feel to it, that's not to say I want a religiously overtoned theme to the story.

Just that it is a good fantasy tale that was visually pulled off well and appropriate for all ages.

Acting and story aside, visually the Narnia films are beautiful.

(And for the record, I personally don't mind the Narnia films at all, it's all a matter of personal opinion regarding if they're "good" or "bland".)
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

I just thought they had no pop what what so ever.

Though you could get the same creature people from Narnia!
    Weta was it?
    The minataurs and griffins were pretty cool!

And I will say that bad acting is not a matter of opinion.
    www.eamonart.com

WETA is IMO the hands-down "no brainer" in terms of working on MotU in at least SOME capacity.

In LotR, they did it all I'm pretty sure, from make-up effects and prosthetics to armor and swords and costumes to sets, miniatures, and the digital CG effects as well.

But in Narnia, I think WETA only did work on physical, tangible stuff like armor, make-up, creature design elements.

Never saw the 2nd Narnia since I didn't care for the first one, but beyond Aslan the digital effects were pretty weak, IMO.
    The beavers were laughably bad.

Aslan was pretty impressive alright!
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Just that it is a good fantasy tale that was visually pulled off well and appropriate for all ages.
    Very good quote. It personally wouldn't make any difference to me if they were Narniaesque or not. There's probably 101 ways they can pull off this movie in terms of look and feel while still being faithful to the source material.

But "a good fantasy tale that was visually pulled off well and appropriate for all ages" is exactly how this film should be done, and Narnia (I've only seen the first one so can only comment based on that, ask me at the weekend what Caspian was like) did certainly achieve that.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Hmm. I am somewhat torn between a dark and gritty Lord of the Rings-style epic based on the original mini-comics, or a more tongue-in-cheek Hercules/Xena style. Either way, it would be sword-and-sorcery.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    So far our list of movies for reference goes like:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
    Gladiator
    Brotherhood of the Wolf
    The Chronicles of Narnia
    The Scorpion King
    Superman
    Willow
    Clash of the Titans
    The Beastmaster
    The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
    Iron Man

That's not actually a bad list IMO.
    All of these movies were handled very well (except The Scorpion King, no wrestlers! No freakin' wrestlers in MOTU! GOD) and enjoyed great success. Since Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (or any of them really), Gladiator, The Chronicles of Narnia, and Willow, are some of my favorite fantasy movies, I would love it if MOTU is handled as thoughtfully as these film projects were. If we get a new MOTU movie that makes me feel the way I do when I watch any of the ones I've listed, I'll be happy.

I'm probably a in the minority amongst the hardcore Star Wars fans, but I personally think Episode II & III were the best SW movies (sans Jar Jar Binks, and yes Return of The Jedi rocked as well), the most fun, and the way I would love to see the new MOTU brought to life
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; March 29, 2009 at 06:38am.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I voted for grim, gritty and epic. A darkness level somewhere between LOTR and 300 would please me, with lightness at times approaching that of Willow (but no lighter).

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    I'm probably a in the minority amongst the hardcore Star Wars fans, but I personally think Episode II & III were the best SW movies (sans Jar Jar Binks, and yes Return of The Jedi rocked as well), the most fun, and the way I would love to see the new MOTU brought to life
    Actually, my favorite 2 SW movies are RotJ and RotS, so our views aren't that different in this regard.