Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stratos Wing Fixing Thang

Heroic Warrior

Stratos Wing Fixing Thang

I haven't received my Stratos yet, but I'm not keen on the way the wing are one the photos I've seen.

Is there a way to get those wings move around more to the front without breaking anything?

i did it in about 8 min.

-put your faucet as hot as it will go.

- hold stratos' hand/arm under the faucet for about 30 sec.

-pop off his hand(it may feel rubbery but it is fine)

-run the arm/braclet area under the fuacet a bit more, use an exactoknife, nail clipper butter knife to pry the braclet part off.

- clean the wing/braclet and put it back on.

-run the hand and arm under hot water again and pop the hand back on.

-repeat process for other arm.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    Yes! I used a hairdryer as suggested by some of the users here. You have to be patient with it a bit. make sure the glue get soft enough so you can pull on it gently.

Then after you pulled it off, pour or dip in ice water so you can return 'em to it's original form. That's how I did mine. I also suggest not to glue it back. Mine can be moved around just fine now.
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Heroic Warrior
    Thank you. I hope you like your Stratosess, Stratos'ss, Stratos', Statosi, Stratosunimi. Whatever is the plural for our winged warrior friend?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Sorry, but it didn't work.

The glue on my Stratos' right arm is so tough it isn't budging. Even after keeping it under hot water. I don't dare force the wing any harder or I'll scrape off paint or worse. And there are no extras I could order if I screw up.

The left arm wing moves just fine. But that right wing is glued GOOD.

The hell with it. My "vintage" Stratos is going to have to stay 200X style.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Tried the boiling water technique myself the other day, and the wings on mine weren't moving either.

i think the best method as someone else shared with me, is to use boiling water. dip the hands in for about 30 seconds and they should pop right out. the wings can be a pain in the ass if they are glued on strong. i had trouble with one wing but i kept dipping it back into the water. i wouldn't use a knife or anything. if you're having trouble getting the wings off, use your finger nail and pick and peel where the red ring meets the arm. just keep picking and pulling down and it will come off.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

The glue on my Stratos' right arm is so tough it isn't budging. Even after keeping it under hot water. I don't dare force the wing any harder or I'll scrape off paint or worse. And there are no extras I could order if I screw up.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I've heard too many horror stories about people burning themselves or changing the quality of the plastic or paint finish with boiling water.

I always use a hair dryer with no mishaps whatsoever.

You just have to be patient. 30 seconds held as close as common sense tells you is safe, for starters, then try some more if it's not moving, and remember to change positions to heat up all the glue all around.

I used an exacto for a little assistance, but that was by choice, not necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

that is where the nail clipper/knife comes into play. you want to work around the base of the wing. keep doing that and keep heating the armband. eventually it will work. one of my wings was a bit stubborn as well but it WILL come off.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    I've heard too many horror stories about people burning themselves or changing the quality of the plastic or paint finish with boiling water.
    Really??

My only 'boiling' efforts are the Mattel JLU figures, just to get them standing. But I didn't even stop to think it could change the quality of the paint & plastic!!

In any case, I have not noticed any changes in that area, but I mainly just boil ankles.

I would have thought the chances of burning yourself would differ little from using boiling water to a hairdryer. If you're not careful, either will get you.

Heroic Warrior
    I used to boil and pop my G.I. Joes and only recently switched to the blowdryer - I highly recommend the blowdryer. You don't get wet, it can produce high heat very quickly, and it's only a matter of flipping a switch rather than dipping a figure in water over and over.

I did this as soon as I got Stratos and meant to post about the difficulty.

I'm a customizer so I was able to remove two stubornly glued wings with some heat and an exacto knife but wouldn't really recommend this to folks who havent done this type of work before.

Expect a little paint loss and potentially a small loss of plastic on the cuffs. I touched up the paint on both cuffs post surgery and Stratos is looking minty fresh - but this fix is not for the timid or those who are affraid to ruin the one Stratos they bought.

Fortune favors the bold but don't say you weren't warned.

I do not intend to mess with my Stratos' wings. ...When I get him, that is...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

damaging a figure is the risk you take when using a knife. i never customized or took apart a figure before. i boiled the wings with no damage to the figure. i think it's the easiest and safest method.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwolf View Post
    I did this as soon as I got Stratos and meant to post about the difficulty.

I'm a customizer so I was able to remove two stubornly glued wings with some heat and an exacto knife but wouldn't really recommend this to folks who havent done this type of work before.

Expect a little paint loss and potentially a small loss of plastic on the cuffs. I touched up the paint on both cuffs post surgery and Stratos is looking minty fresh - but this fix is not for the timid or those who are affraid to ruin the one Stratos they bought.

Fortune favors the bold but don't say you weren't warned.

I hold the sword Fisto's Left Hand's Avatar
    I boiled mine and only had a little trouble getting the wings off the wrist. Nothing major, but I had done work like this with G.I.Joes before.
    Our goal is to make sure all MOTU collectors can get these new figures.
    -What the Fans Want to Know Round 3

Good trades: JohnnyTyler, tattoojunkie74

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Just fixed mine. Microwaved the water for a few minutes, dipped each hand for about 30 sec and they popped right off.

The right wing came off easily enough, but the lefty was a pain! They really slathered the glue onto that one!

Looks MUCH better now!

Haven't get my yet, so pictures before and after wold be cool.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    I only used a hairdryer on mine. The hands does pop off after 30 seconds. The wings on the other hand, I have to keep re-heating. Took probably 30 mins of trying but once the glue is really soft, I was able to use just my finger-nails to pull the wings out. Once that is done, I cleaned some glue off and pop both wings and hands back again, pour cold water and VOILA! My Stratos has movable/ posable wings!

The only thing is patience! I may not have a lot of, but what few I have is a keeper!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Heroic Warrior
    Mine had very strong glue, but if you boil it it will come off. Just slowly peel it off. Actually the paint made it stick as much as the glue did, but slowly but surely it came off. Then I boiled it again to get it reshaped right and perfecto!

Only problem was I then realized my stratos had 2 left wings, which was not cool!

I did mine the other night, with no problems at all. I used the hair dryer (always works best IMO) for about 30 seconds, popped the hand off real quick, was able to gently pull the wing off, and pop the hand back on before the plastic got hard again. I am not a customizer at all, but I have had to fix joints here and there and the hair dryer has never let me down. I would recommed that before the boiling water any day, but thats just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-E-Toys View Post
    damaging a figure is the risk you take when using a knife. i never customized or took apart a figure before. i boiled the wings with no damage to the figure. i think it's the easiest and safest method.
    Right folks, don't misunderstand me. If you have really stuborn glue, you may need to resort to sliding an exacto knife under the cuffs or use some instrument to gently pry it off. This doesn't replace heating the hands and wings first. This alteration is well worth the risk IMO but proceed with caution if you heven't done this before.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistix View Post
    Really??

My only 'boiling' efforts are the Mattel JLU figures, just to get them standing. But I didn't even stop to think it could change the quality of the paint & plastic!!
    Yeah, I can't remember specifics, but I've heard collectors talk about some plastics turning brittle, and sometimes paint cracking/peeling, etc.

I've never had any problems with the hair dryer method, so that's what I'm sticking with.
    Guess I'm just chicken!

Is it possible to turn the wings around so they point outside to make him look more 200X?

I do the boil and pop method ,works everytime.I never had one change color or mess the plastic up though,maybe it helps that I use filtered water.

I had a little trouble with the right wing but I think it was more paint then glue.

yes it's possible. i was actually gonna do it this way on my stratos but then i didn't wanna have to go through the hassle of boiling and flipping the wings again.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_E View Post
    Is it possible to turn the wings around so they point outside to make him look more 200X?