Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DC New52 Comics/Eternity War in MOTUC

DC New52 Comics/Eternity War in MOTUC

It's been popping up here and there whether MOTUC going forward will involve a closer relationship to the current comic series, and a quick search showed me that we don't have a dedicated thread, so here it is!

Who supports the idea of connecting MOTUC to the current media?

Personally, I'm starting to see it as more and more necessary in order to get some better exposure for the brand. Also, I am enjoying the comic, and I would love to have any 2.0s of the main characters be based on these designs.

It opens the possibility of selling MOTUC in comic stores, as well.

Of course, I'm using the term MOTUC in this thread since I have no idea what the rebrand will be - in any case I need to make it relevant to this board. (Side-Note: Will this still be the board for current toys once Classics "ends"?)

So let's discuss the pros and cons of the latest MOTU media being represented in "Classics", (or whatever it becomes).
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Since Dan Abnett took over, the quality of the writing and story-telling has skyrocketed. Any fans who thought the comic was mediocre during its first few issues should give it another look because it's fantastic now.

Heroic Warrior
    I would love to see at least some of the beasts/vehicles/steeds that appeared in the DC comic. They are going to be overpriced but at least one or two, i could afford it. Anyway my favorites would be:

1) SPYDOR

2) The Snake Men's Preternian Dino Cavalry

3) ROTON

4) Attack Track

Then i would like a Despara/Saryn two pack:

And finally it would be cool to have the Rock Men (who also appeared in Earl Norem's art and the Filmation Cartoon):

Last edited by granamyr80; February 23, 2015 at 08:11am.

I'd be all over this. I especially want a Sorceress of Serpos!

I'm all about new designs and characters. Anything that expands the mythos. It's the only way the brand can grow.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    I would love to see at least some of the beasts/vehicles/steeds that appeared in the DC comic. They are going to be overpriced but at least one or two, i could afford it. Anyway my favorites would be:

1) SPYDOR

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...7176c1494983c4

2) The Snake Men's Preternian Dino Cavalry

http://www.comicbookresources.com:80...-2-3-94d6c.jpg

3) ROTON

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...17-3-96216.jpg

4) Attack Track

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...19-5-7a0a2.jpg

And then i would like a Despara/Saryn two pack:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...18-1-53268.jpg
    This art is damn iconic! How powerful is that image of He-man riding Battle Cat into battle? WOW!!
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Hmmmm, how about if the new line was called "He-Man - The Eternity War"

The line could have redos of the main characters in their new DC outfits. Also I have noticed that so far the series has a range of filmation characters making appearances which just so happen to be highly rated on fans "most demanded" lists.

General Sundar
    Vultak
    Dylamug
    Colonel Blast
    Despara
    King Miro

Could be a cool line especially tying into the ongoing comics
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

I think the comic should have used the designs and style of classics, not the other way around. I'd rather not have the toy line get closer to the comics. The comic is getting better but I still feel little to no connection with the characters or find them all that recognizable. Other than Despera I can't think of a new design I like. Actually, the Fright Zone beast cape Grizzlor wears is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    This art is damn iconic! How powerful is that image of He-man riding Battle Cat into battle? WOW!!
    It's too early for the art to be iconic.
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

I hope that if they release toys of the characters, vehicles and creatures that appear in the new comic they use the original Designs and not the new 52 ones. I don't want New 52 Roton, I want the real thing. This is especially the case with the Filmation characters we are still missing.
    Awesome sticker included!

I love that version of Tri-Klops !
    ABC GIANTS, 200x Evil-lyn, 200x Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Hawke/Delora, Queen Andreeno, Captain Randor, 200x Tri-Klops, 200x Squeeeze head.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    I think the comic should have used the designs and style of classics, not the other way around. I'd rather not have the toy line get closer to the comics. The comic is getting better but I still feel little to no connection with the characters or find them all that recognizable. Other than Despera I can't think of a new design I like. Actually, the Fright Zone beast cape Grizzlor wears is cool.
    I believe that the DC comic has depicted a great deal of MOTU characters with their Classic, Filmation or MYP designs. For example the Horde members that have been appeared so far they have in the majority of the cases, their Classic or Filmation looks (or MYP for the Horde Wraiths):

-Catra, Scorpia, Dylamag, Colonel Blast, Grizzlor (but with the Fright Zone Monster as armor which is cool), Mantenna, Multi-Bot, Vultak, Mosquitor, Modulok, Leech, are all recognizable:

The Snake Men more or less have their Classic looks:

Last edited by granamyr80; February 21, 2015 at 06:30pm.

I'm all for this. I've loved the comic from the start.

I've never been big on variants and these guys are no exception. Perhaps once the original roadmap has been completed, I'll be open to them, but not until then.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Great Black Wizard, Darius, the rest of New Adventures.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder, Teela, He-Man, Skeletor, Hordak head.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

I really want these versions.

The comic has gotten a lot better and EW may well make the most sense for the line's new direction. MOTUEW?

It would both allow for new versions of old characters, to let new collectors in, and give the veteran collectors something they've never had before.

And, as the OP pointed out, working with DC may well open the door to getting some of these in comic book stores, which may be the single most important thing the property needs to do at this point.
    WHERE IS THE TRANSPARENCY?

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

3 Club Eternia, 3 Club 200X, 2 Collectors' Choice. 1 Beast Man. 1 Camo Khan. 1 Granymyr

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I hope that if they release toys of the characters, vehicles and creatures that appear in the new comic they use the original Designs and not the new 52 ones. I don't want New 52 Roton, I want the real thing. This is especially the case with the Filmation characters we are still missing.
    I totally get what you're expressing. I myself have railed more than once at the nigh-patronizing idea that if a Filmation Teela were released then everyone who missed the original release (like me!) could have one in their collections.

I don't want Filmation Teela. I want the real Teela.

I have to say though. When I consider getting a comics inspired Teela, I'm a lot less loathe to accept that. In fact, I can easily see a New52 Teela being the Teela in my collection. It's made me realize that maybe it has more to do with the design aesthetics. Classics He-Man, MAA, Stratos, and Skeletor on my shelf look great together, but cartoon character Teela would just not mesh with that company.

So yeah. I think I understand your concerns re: Filmation characters finally coming and being New52 inspired - or even Roton finally coming and having the comic version instead of a more vintage inspired version.

All I can point out is that Classics is the line that had the mandate of updating the originals. Whatever the line is rebranded to could have any possible mission statement concerning design.

Perhaps it helps to point out granamyr80's great points?

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    I believe that the DC comic has depicted a great deal of MOTU characters with their Classic, Filmation or MYP designs. For example the Horde members that have been appeared so far they have in the majority of the cases, their Classic or Filmation looks (or MYP for the Horde Wraiths):

-Catra, Scorpia, Dylamag, Colonel Blast, Grizzlor (but with the Fright Zone Monster as armor which is cool), Mantenna, Multi-Bot, Vultak, Mosquitor, Modulok, Leech, are all recognizable:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0RPYTJycWE...HEMEW_01_1.jpg

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...01-4-bb16b.jpg

https://scontent-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...2d&oe=55893E6E

The Snake Men more or less have their Classic looks:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/im...12-5-d7896.jpg

http://imagesfile.org/img/2014-12/24...sb87nabsiz.jpg
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Happily, more of the character designs are taking on established interpretations. Ultimately, I will take anything Mattel give us in the MOTUC scale, but of the New 52 DC Comics interpretations, I would at this stage only prefer Sorceress (Goddess) Teela, Despara and the witch Saryn. The Snake Men with tails is also a much needed addition to the collection. I'd take Tri-Klops' 200x look as a welcome update (though I would also like his vintage mini-comic armor packed in).

He-Man's new look doesn't particularly do it for me, nor that of Stratos.

The vehicles do look nice, but I'd prefer the vintage look. If Roton came in vintage style but with a snap-on roof, it would be icing on the cake.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I think this is the way to go for 2016. This new DC look really mixes well many characters from all over Motu into one universe and I can't wait to see more. The beginning was a bit weak but I'm glad I've stuck with it and the storylines are really unfolding into an epic series. The artwork is amazing too!

I would definitely support a sub consisting of a mix of main characters from this comic with others from vintage media. Like for example, to see a sub like this :

He-man (EW), Snake Goddess Teela (EW), King/Capt Randor (EW/Digital), Beast Man (EW or Alcala)
    Tri-Klops (EW), Skeletor (JL crossover), Vultak, King Miro, Hawke, Fang-Or, Lodar, Crita
    Qs: Dylamug, Sagitar, MoP Demons 2pk, Stridor or Roton
    Exclusive: Despara Chase: Illumina Travel: Songster ("on tour") Mini sub or Holiday non sub: NA/mega pack
    Sdcc: Starburst She-ra vs Feral Catra (with cat form)

I think this can bring in new blood and keep the mainstays satisfied with new stuff.
    Last edited by Count Judas; February 21, 2015 at 11:14pm.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!
    NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O!!

I would support this, especially if a comic was included with the packaging of the figure like Hasbro has been doing Generations figures.

Despera is one figure I truly want. We need some bad guy vehicles so bad, definitely on board with roton.

Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post
    I totally get what you're expressing. I myself have railed more than once at the nigh-patronizing idea that if a Filmation Teela were released then everyone who missed the original release (like me!) could have one in their collections.

I don't want Filmation Teela. I want the real Teela.

I have to say though. When I consider getting a comics inspired Teela, I'm a lot less loathe to accept that. In fact, I can easily see a New52 Teela being the Teela in my collection. It's made me realize that maybe it has more to do with the design aesthetics. Classics He-Man, MAA, Stratos, and Skeletor on my shelf look great together, but cartoon character Teela would just not mesh with that company.

So yeah. I think I understand your concerns re: Filmation characters finally coming and being New52 inspired - or even Roton finally coming and having the comic version instead of a more vintage inspired version.

All I can point out is that Classics is the line that had the mandate of updating the originals. Whatever the line is rebranded to could have any possible mission statement concerning design.

Perhaps it helps to point out granamyr80's great points?
    Thanks for your reply regarding my concerns! Granamyr80 is right I think. Some characters like Vultak look exactly like in the Filmation cartoon so I guess if they produce them as figures they will look like the other Filmation

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Happily, more of the character designs are taking on established interpretations. Ultimately, I will take anything Mattel give us in the MOTUC scale, but of the New 52 DC Comics interpretations, I would at this stage only prefer Sorceress (Goddess) Teela, Despara and the witch Saryn. The Snake Men with tails is also a much needed addition to the collection. I'd take Tri-Klops' 200x look as a welcome update (though I would also like his vintage mini-comic armor packed in).

He-Man's new look doesn't particularly do it for me, nor that of Stratos.

The vehicles do look nice, but I'd prefer the vintage look. If Roton came in vintage style but with a snap-on roof, it would be icing on the cake.
    I hope this is what they will do. A Snap on roof would offer two display options: vintage and New52.

I really hope the rebranding doesn't mean the end for updated vintage Designs. If they release the remaining vintage vehicles and playsets, they should do them in their vintage Designs even though the line is not called "Classics" any more.
    Awesome sticker included!

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Ive already told myself that after the classics that would be it, ive got originals, 200x, stactions, classics. I will put my money towards statues and life size busts. Thats it, until i started reading these last few issues, im right into this series and loving the designs and introductions of characters we havnt seen for decades, that was my wish and this series is delivering so YES if 2016 has these characters as well with some NA and filmation etc id be ready to sub up again. Sorry wallet.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'd like to get:

Original New 52 He-Man with Yellow Cross
    Original New 52 Teela with blonde and alternate redhaired head
    Battle Armor Teela (Teela-At-Arms)
    New 52 Green Goddess
    New 52 She-Ra
    New 52 Tri-Klops (the 200X look)
    Despara

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    Thanks for your reply regarding my concerns! Granamyr80 is right I think. Some characters like Vultak look exactly like in the Filmation cartoon so I guess if they produce them as figures they will look like the other Filmation
    The major redesigns we have seen so far, in the DC comic, in the 80-90% of the cases, had to do with the He-Man, She-ra, Teela and Skeletor. For example Teela's design, went through 4 major changes, while the series was going forward:

In the beginning we had the Barbarian Teela:

Then, Teela At Arms:

Followed by Sorceress (of Serpos)/Goddess Teela:

And at the end, from last week's solicitation, appeared Queen (redhead Battlegound) Teela (alongside with a King He-Man, that personally i found a slightly better design, than the one, which came with the Classic line) :

The other MOTU characters, from what we have seen so far, only Stratos, Moss-Man, Roboto and Prince Keldor had been redesigned. Ah and Randor that had a new Battle Armor, but his Palace look is the Classic one:

Last edited by granamyr80; February 22, 2015 at 09:06am.