Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News about the future of MOTUC from MattyCollector.com

News about the future of MOTUC from MattyCollector.com

Heroic Warrior
    /shrug

Not really any news, exciting or otherwise... No mention of MOTU at all actually. Just 'exciting new initiatives' for Mattycollector... which is pretty vague.

The way I see it, they only have two choices.

1) Get some new properties... and USE them. Get ALL the properties... Not any more of this 'we got Back to the future, but can't do anything involving Marty or Doc garbage... Seriously, Back to the future was a bust, Ghostbusters is wrapped up, DCUC is done, and now MOTUC is in the 'final year'.... They don't have much left to hype.

Hopefully they'll get some new products out that will excite people because the other choice is...

2) Close up shop. The website/webstore isn't going to be viable if they don't have anything left to sell. The Giants and minis may appeal to some people... but they won't float the whole enterprise...

Heroic Warrior
    "[W]e look forward to revealing some exciting new initiatives within the MattyCollector.com world".

I want to know whether "initiatives" means new products or simply new methods of selling their existing products.

Posted this in another thread: I was listening to an older Roast Gooble Episode, and Scott talks a little about what would happen if he were to leave Mattel. Good an episode, an interesting peek into the inner workings of Mattel in general: http://roastgooble.libsyn.com/episod...-gooble-dinner. The part about him being replaced starts at about 34:00.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

Heroic Warrior
    I think it is news, actually. The message is carefully worded, but fundamentally it implies Mattel has a commitment to continuing with Matty Collector. Remember Scott said he believes the hierarchy does have an appreciation for what collectors bring to toy production. Let's hope the positive message manifests itself into some good MOTU product.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    /shrug

Not really any news, exciting or otherwise... No mention of MOTU at all actually. Just 'exciting new initiatives' for Mattycollector... which is pretty vague.

The way I see it, they only have two choices.

1) Get some new properties... and USE them. Get ALL the properties... Not any more of this 'we got Back to the future, but can't do anything involving Marty or Doc garbage... Seriously, Back to the future was a bust, Ghostbusters is wrapped up, DCUC is done, and now MOTUC is in the 'final year'.... They don't have much left to hype.

Hopefully they'll get some new products out that will excite people because the other choice is...

2) Close up shop. The website/webstore isn't going to be viable if they don't have anything left to sell. The Giants and minis may appeal to some people... but they won't float the whole enterprise...
    They will close up shop after 2015. Mark my words. I don't anticipate as much enthusiasm from Mattel as what Scott put out. I didn't always agree with what he said or did, but he sold it. I am pretty sure Mattel sees MattyCollector as a failed endeavor overall. Wonder how long the contract was for.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Sounds like damage control to calm people down.

Heroic Warrior
    Given that revenues for Mattel have been somewhat "Meh" with their larger properties like Barbie and Monster High, I don't know if I see Mattel letting MattyCollector go away. I imagine they'll utilize it for the collector market we make up somehow, but how, who knows?
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

I think it's a pretty good little response. Scott is not the only He-Man fan at Mattel, who spent these many years waging war against the uncaring suits to bring us our toys after all!
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    They will close up shop after 2015. Mark my words. I don't anticipate as much enthusiasm from Mattel as what Scott put out. I didn't always agree with what he said or did, but he sold it. I am pretty sure Mattel sees MattyCollector as a failed endeavor overall. Wonder how long the contract was for.
    I'm sure it will close, but it has nothing to do with Scott's "enthusiasm". One employee's enthusiasm doesn't keep a venture alive.

Quite simply, MOTUC has been the bread and butter of MattyCollector, the sub enough to keep the thing going. Because they had that income coming it, it stayed alive as it's "base". MOTUC will be over, and therefore the guaranteed year of financial income it brought to ensure the site was profitable.

MattyCollector also has a terrible reputation, in general, in every corner of the Internet, and I also presume that if the site shutters, Digital River can be eliminated. That doesn't mean Mattel may not open up another collector site, with another partner, but the days of Matty are going to be over - and it has nothing to do with Scott. (Though, conversely, I wouldn't be surprised if Scott leaving is due to trying to get out and get another job before the end - it looks better to leave an active venture vs. a closed one.)

As to the post made at Matty, it's non-informational - Matty still has a year left, they aren't going to say anything but "BAU" until then.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    I'm sure it will close, but it has nothing to do with Scott's "enthusiasm". One employee's enthusiasm doesn't keep a venture alive.

Quite simply, MOTUC has been the bread and butter of MattyCollector, the sub enough to keep the thing going. Because they had that income coming it, it stayed alive as it's "base". MOTUC will be over, and therefore the guaranteed year of financial income it brought to ensure the site was profitable.

MattyCollector also has a terrible reputation, in general, in every corner of the Internet, and I also presume that if the site shutters, Digital River can be eliminated. That doesn't mean Mattel may not open up another collector site, with another partner, but the days of Matty are going to be over - and it has nothing to do with Scott. (Though, conversely, I wouldn't be surprised if Scott leaving is due to trying to get out and get another job before the end - it looks better to leave an active venture vs. a closed one.)

As to the post made at Matty, it's non-informational - Matty still has a year left, they aren't going to say anything but "BAU" until then.
    Yep. This is all completely true.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

I never said MattyCollector was around because of Scott. I am just expecting future reveals to be less enthusiastic than when Scott was there. I am counting the days until digital river is done. Their stock shot up big the other day, so they aren't hurting. I always guessed that the sub needs kept increasing due to the other lines shutting down. Scott definitely saw an iceberg and decided to get off the Titanic. Hasbro is doing great while Mattel is going downhill fast. There I am talking about financially, not reputation.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

I never said MattyCollector was around because of Scott. I am just expecting future reveals to be less enthusiastic than when Scott was there. I am counting the days until digital river is done. Their stock shot up big the other day, so they aren't hurting. I always guessed that the sub needs kept increasing due to the other lines shutting down. Scott definitely saw an iceberg and decided to get off the Titanic. Hasbro is doing great while Mattel is going downhill fast. There I am talking about financially, not reputation.
    Digital River is doing poor work and they are being rewarded, it's so typical. 'MERICA!

They will close up shop after 2015. Mark my words.
    I'm marking them!

You may be right, but we'll see what happens.

If they keep MOTUC going in some way, but close MC, I'd speculate they pull domestic orders into their existing Mattel shop and strike a deal with an e-tailer to handle international orders. Personally, I think that's a good way to go to trim off additional expenses (like running the MC site and using DR).

I am pretty sure Mattel sees MattyCollector as a failed endeavor overall. Wonder how long the contract was for.
    From a financial POV, it's certainly possible. Those lines had to fund themselves and produce a small amount of profit to justify their existence to upper management. They were such a small blip on the Mattel financial radar.

But from a brand awareness or PR POV, I don't think they view it that way. MOTUC will have gone on for 7+ years via MC. That's a good thing.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

To be honest, I think having less "enthusiastic" reveals is going to be a good thing, or neutral at least. Just show us the product. Folks have already committed to purchasing the items anyway. It just means we won't have to see Scott stumble around trying to make a video, or trying to spin poor work (Sorceress' wings, that video was painful to watch). I think overall we would have been better off not having a 'central' face of the line to begin with - it causes so many more problems than it ever could have helped.

As to DR, overall - that can be explained pretty easily. It is Digital River, the majority of their business is in digital goods. For example, they handle Microsoft software download business (when you purchase digital versions of Office, etc.). This whole foray into physical goods is a tiny, tiny bit of their business - and to be honest, I'd not be surprised to find out they wanted rid of it as badly as we want rid of them. They don't even have their own shipping/warehouses - Matty contracts DR, DR does nothing but take the orders, and then they sub-contract another company who houses the inventory and ships it through yet another sub-sub-contractor shipping company.

That's also why they have had such a difficult time with simple things like changing payment methods and maintaining standing orders. Their business simply wasn't designed for it. Software downloads are instant - there is no shipping, there is no need to change an order because the order is placed and delivered instantly. Basically, years ago someone at DR had a bright idea that "hey, let's try this out" and very likely put in a very low bid with Mattel thinking this would be a good starting place. Since I don't believe they have expanded their physical goods business since (I have never heard of them doing anything but Matty - it's possible they do, but not that I know of, and definitely not to any great extent), like I said - I bet they want rid of us as much as we want rid of them. They had no idea what they bit off here, and I'm sure all the extra costs in staffing (digital downloads don't require a lot of phone reps, for example) and they are tired trying to make a square into a circle as their entire structure was designed for digital goods and not physical ones.

Absolutely nothing to discuss there that hasn't already been discussed in the other thread regarding scott's resignation with mattel

I respectfully disagree.

Those at Sdcc this year witnessed an incredible investment and interest in the property and the fan base by people above Scott at Mattel.

A Want List of Sorts: Peekablue, Saurod, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, 200X Head Pack, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

Then what is on the docket for 2016? Everything shown was early 2015 stuff. I will be surprised to see stuff offered and even more surprised if it goes through.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Heroic Warrior
    How sweet would Thundercats sculpted by The Four Horseman be in "classics" style and proportions? MattyCollector could really use another property that is a pop culture phenomena, and there is a diverse character selection beyond the regular character roster. Bandai does own the rights, but their lines both failed and maybe this could also be good for their own brand's recognition?

If Matty collector is going to survive, it seriously needs an infusion of vitality.

Side note-Wasn't Voltron also a Bandi property?

Quote Originally Posted by True Form View Post
    Bandai does own the rights, but their lines both failed and maybe this could also be good for their own brand's recognition?
    Bandai's ThunderCats license has since expired.
    8 figures I still need: 8/Perfuma (for completeness of POP ONLY!), 7/Filmation Tung Lashor, 6/Saurod, 5/Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina, 4/Peekablue, 3/Hunga the Harpy, 2/Filmation Clawful, 1/Dylamug.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    Bandai's ThunderCats license has since expired.
    I think that ship has sailed. ----^ The recent failure of both the cartoon and action figure line to gather any traction proved that T-Cats was a thing of its time and is now R.I.P.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    I think that ship has sailed. ----^ The recent failure of both the cartoon and action figure line to gather any traction proved that T-Cats was a thing of its time and is now R.I.P.
    Same thing could have been said about MOTU after 200x.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things arenít absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I donít collect toys to be miserable. So Iíd rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

I really think it's a bit of a stretch to call Thundercats a pop culture phenomenon....Hahaha
    Make Filmation Clawful. Come on, he's like a totally different character!

I think MOTUC may continue, but it won't likely have the quality it had under Scott, unless Mattel can hire another fan of MOTU as the Brand Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    Same thing could have been said about MOTU after 200x.

I agree !

We are talking about ThunderCats Classics....just imagine a Panthro, Jaga, Lion-O, Mumm-Ra, Chhetara, Bengali, Vultureman, etc, made by 4H !